Deb Shops

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dawn Robertson

Pros
  • employees get 40% discount on clothes(in 12 reviews)

• The employee discount is decent, but that's literally the only good thing I can think of(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not only is on different pages but in different books(in 17 reviews)

• The new district manager is driving my old store into the ground(in 7 reviews)

No opportunity for advancement

Full Time Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsI loved the 40% off discount and my co-workers. Other then that this company is terrible to work for.

ConsUnfair hiring and promotion practices, unprofessional upper management, micro management, lack of payroll, high shrink, clientele

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good Job

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFun people and easy to move up. Promotions are frequent.

ConsLow pay, slightly disorganized, weird dress code policy and must use a clear bag which is weird and hard to find.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your associates, pay them!

Sinking Ship

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat staff.
    At my location other people in the mall were cool.
    ...And that's all the pros I can think of.

ConsThe new district manager is driving my old store into the ground. She came from a store that went under and is staffing the store with people from a company that went under. Deb used to be good, a nice company that believes in their people. I remember laying on the floor crying working overnights and stuff to help the store and bring it to where it is now. Now? All the care factor is squeezed out of it, and you have no hope as an internal candidate. I received no training when I began and had to learn everything on my own. And when I put my 2 weeks in, my boss refused to talk to me, even when I was trying to help the store for the remainder of those 2 weeks. She even manipulated it so it looked like I didn't finish my two weeks and ruined my reference. Always remember as a leader that people work for people. And you catch more flies with genuine honey.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people in your stores. We care and want to help you grow. Don't hire someone if everyone begs you not to. Set more of a schedule. I know you guys have your hands full trying to save the company, but try to prepare for changes beforehand. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, please do markdowns BEFORE floorset. By doing it the week after, you force everyone to do the work twice and waste precious payroll.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It made me realize just how challenging working the sales floor can be.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Langhorne, PA

ProsI worked with some great people and I really enjoyed getting to help our customers, while doing a variety of other tasks, such as organizing the clothing racks, re-stocking inventory, and placing mark-downs.

ConsThe company itself is not very well organized in how it's run and as a sales associate, the hours are horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to teach employees how to do better on the sales floor and increase sales. Also as a sales associate, it's difficult to get a promotion and salary raise, and even when a salary raise is given it isn't by very much, so if a higher salary and more room for a promotion could be given to sales associates that would be great.

Repetitive.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Erie, CO

ProsA physically easy job, good hours.

ConsRepetitive job. Nothing new or exciting.

very very stressful!

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Akron, OH

Prosas a full time assistant manager, the pay is decent, the discount is good 40%.

Consnegative work environment, constant promo changes-- sometimes in the middle of the day! tons of tasking not enough customer service, not enough hours for coverage-- heavy shrink... at my store, we went through two sets of management and then the new manager walked out, also had our regional manager quit and our new district manager rarely showed up... she didnt care about what was happening in our store. constant gossip, lies, backstabbing, and when you did tell her she just said that we all needed to learn how to "play nice" together. this was the worst job i have ever had in my life.. i was so stressed on a daily basis. my "new" manager actually told me that yes, we need to help customers, but shipment is more important. this company is horrible.. dont walk away... RUN!!!!! i'm very serious.

Advice to Senior Managementwhen you have constant strife in a store and someone is coming to you honestly and truly caring and asking for help.. maybe you should listen? you say that customers come first but with 2 person coverage (and i personally had one person coverage for up to 6 hours at a time) and a big store in a mall where there is high shrink, how can you really have eyes everywhere and do everything? listen to your employees, not just the dm who is never there. and if you say you care, actually mean it. thats a tiny start.

Overwhelming, unorganized Company

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOffers a Competitive pay rate

ConsOverwork their employees to cut payroll and overload tasks on top of it. Deb used to be a great place to work but in the last few years they have hit a downward spiral. This company does not show appreciation or care for their lower level employees and they do not take time to train which results in a high turnover and poor work atmosphere. The Chicago Market is a disaster! Beware!

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is always chaos and if you don't invest in a good team you will continue to have high shrink and poor results! Good luck. Bring back the old Deb Values!!!!

Laughable! Waste of good time!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is extremely hard to find any good to say about this company at all! There really are no pros at all!

ConsI have never ever seen a company have the turn over in upper management ever!!!! In the Cincinnati area alone in a two year period there has been 5 district managers and 4 regional!!! That is laughable!!! I personal know store managers that are forced to work 50,60 80 hours a week with a salary of 44!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou seriously need to invest in better dist. and regional management, possible people that have a little more passion for what they are doing, who have better track records in problem solving instead of problem creation, And maybe invest in in company loss prevention instead of a out side company who have no interest in your company at all! It is easy to blame the people at the bottom when you don't have a clue whats going on with in your own company!

Worst company ever....

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay as a manager.

ConsNo hours, too many tasks. They expect you to be able to do window changes and in store sign changes in the middle of a busy Saturday and only notify you ten minutes before the change via email. They also have no idea what current trends are. They want you to add on perfumes and magazines and this and that at the register. It's too much going on at one time. You get audited all the freaking time without notice and the registers go down almost every single day. Nothing about this company is organized. I work for the highest volume store in my district and they send me a million boxes of shipment but want me to work alone in the store until one everyday. Not even a sales associate to help until one. How am I supposed to get anything accomplished? They always have simple things like hold tags and bags (BAGS!) on back order. What am I supposed to put my customers clothes in???? Everything about this company is wrong. I hear about managers walking out on the company at least once a week, if not more. I have had three store managers walk out on me in less than a year. This company is so horrible. The worst.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo everything different from how you're doing it and you may actually keep your management staff.

Don't Waste Your Time Here

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe discount was a plus- it was 40% off.
    The job was enjoyable if you had the right staff in place

ConsNot enough payroll to effectively run the business
    Lack of communication
    Disorganized
    Constantly changing things for the worst
    High shrink due to lack of coverage
    Upper Management was very political

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people the tools that they need to succeed and stop playing favorites
    Also, find out the facts before you accuse people of malicious things

Worked for Deb Shops? Contribute to the Community!