Deb Shops Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.0
Dawn Robertson

Pros
  • You get a 40% discount on their clothes, which is good because they are very cheaply made (in 16 reviews)

• The employee discount is decent, but that's literally the only good thing I can think of (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I have never ever seen a company have the turn over in upper management ever (in 18 reviews)

• Went over a year without a district manager (in 10 reviews)

1. Asst. Manger

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Deb Shops (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was easy work and somewhat flexible schedule. Started out with good benefits, but unfortunatley they did not last. Overall, not a bad job for retail.

Cons

Working hours were not great. Had to work nights and weekends which is expected with a retail job. Poor store management and district manager often did not listen to complaints.

Advice to Management

Management would benefit from listening more to store level employees. Increasing pay would also help to get better employees in the store.

2. Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Plevna, MT
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Plevna, MT

I worked at Deb Shops (Less than a year)

Pros

Close to home, easy commute

Cons

untrained upper management, unwilling to resolve in store issues

3. ummm

Former Employee - Keyholder in Pottstown, PA
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Pottstown, PA

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (More than a year)

Pros

music, coworkers, clothing, customers, discount

Cons

customers, corporate, signs, rules, policy

Advice to Management

get it together god

5. Sales Associate

I worked at Deb Shops part-time

Pros

Managers were great! Was able to get the hours that I wanted. Good at informing us when the company filed for bankruptcy.

Cons

Company forgot about my store. It was an older store and needed alot of work but they didn't care at all to come and fix things.

6. Great and then bad.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Blasdell, NY
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Blasdell, NY

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

40% discount. Interview process was easy. Girls were nice. Good place if you like fashion. They have different styles for different people's personalities.

Cons

I never worked more than 12 hours a week, 4 hour shifts. I was mostly on-call and I had to call every time an hour before hand. If the on-call was at 2, I had to call at 1. The one time, my on-call was as 5, so I called at 4. They said they didn't need me. At 5:07 the Manager calls back and asks me if I can get there at 5:30. I live a half hour away. And I didn't have a car so I had to rely on people for rides, I told her I couldn't come in by 5:30. I got written up for that. I worked there for a little over 3 months and some weeks I wouldn't work at all, and other weeks I'd be only on-call. Apparently when you're on-call you can't do anything the entire time because they may need you to come in at any given moment. The one Manager was a little judgemental. I wore a chain-necklace and she asked me why I wore it and I told her why, and she said "Oh I was just wondering because I thought only men wear it and my boyfriend has a similar one."

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter, they're going out of business.

7. overworked

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

good environment, dm very helpful, other store managers helpful and friendly.

Cons

working upwards of 60 hours/week, not paid for anything over 40 hours. promotion changes at the last minute, meaning you stay till 11 or 12 pm. hard to find good employees

Advice to Management

fewer promotion changes, more realistic expectations for staff

8. Working with all females

Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Danvers, MA

Pros

Great hours,awesome discounts for employees.fast promotions is showing great work and commitment,but won't go hire then store manager the district manager isn't going to give you their job,

Cons

Not enough pay,the district manager is a control freak,younger employees challenge the assistant managers behind the store managers back. Employees don't take loss prevention seriously

Advice to Management

HAssert your poistion.do what's expected of you,when your hired you agree to all the responsibility included show up do your best,they won't hesiate to replace you.

9. Drama

Pros

the discount was really cool

Cons

way too much drama with all the females

What they don't pay you in money, they pay you in experience and learning.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have an excellent team that makes coming to work enjoyable. My DM is very supportive and helpful. The work is challenging so it really pushes you to learn and become a better manager. Plenty of PTO days.

Cons

The pay is not competitive at all, and they have no interest in being competitive. I had a member of executive management tell me that I need to hire managers that no one else wants so that they will take the pay rate we offer. Deb wants "hungry people" as she put it. They are so worried about cutting payroll costs (pay rate and budget hours) they do so at the cost of losing sales. SM has to work 60 hours a week just to maintain the store because the budget is ridiculous. Yet when executive management visits my store, they complain that enough people aren't scheduled to cater to customers.

Advice to Management

Invest in a proper workforce and you will get the money back tenfold in sales. Stop treating your employees like garbage. If the company treated employees right and was able to retain them, they wouldn't spend so much precious payroll training new employees. This company is extremely disorganized. Figure out a system and stick to it. You are all wasting your employees time by making bad decisions. And the Store Managers are the ones that have to suffer because they need to put in all the extra hours to fix your mistakes.

11. Repetitive.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Erie, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Erie, CO

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A physically easy job, good hours.

Cons

Repetitive job. Nothing new or exciting.

RSS Feed </> Embed