Deb Shops

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dawn Robertson

Pros:
  • "employees get 40% discount on clothes"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Good discount, fun atmosphere once you get the right staff"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management not only is on different pages but in different books"
    in 14 reviews
  • "There is not even a hint of work/life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

enjoyable, focusing on customer service, the opprotunity to enter act with customers

Full Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Garden City, KS

Prosfull time employees get benefits , pay is excellent ,hours are good

Conspaid holidays, raises are given, work in a jr fashions

Advice to Senior Managementclean store, have room for advancement, good training ,

Great Experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly office management, great dresses and coats, trendy clothing at affordable price.

ConsI had no cons during the time I worked at Deb. Loved senior management!

Advice to Senior ManagementIt has been 16 years since I worked for the company. At the time the Senior officers were outstanding and treated me with the most respect. It is sad to hear all of this bad pr from employees on this site. Deb at the time I worked for them was a family oriented atmosphere. They cared about their people. Maybe they need to look back at what the previous management was doing right.

Full of advancement opportunities and very rewarding!

ProsDeb has a lot of growth oppertunity and upper management listens to your goals and offers training so you can reach your goals successfully. Great bonus system and annual reviews with merit increases. Competive pay and employee discounts. Great staff, energetic atmosphere. Time off is approved timely manner. Goals and company directives are clearly communicated. Employees who lack passion and good work ethics are quickly removed to ensure positive work conditions.

ConsDuring the holidays is blackout, which means less request time off approved. Markdowns and promotion processes are always changing around.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develope all the tasking processes. I love the direction the company is currently headed. More connection with the higher leadership above regional level to seek insight.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good company if you would like to advance.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Marion, IL

ProsGood training for the most part.
    40% off discount start out with 15 days pto

Conslow pay for the work at times requires the sm to work 44 hours

Advice to Senior Managementkeep with it things are getting better I have been with deb for over 4 years and this is the best year it has been yet

Debshops can be an amazing place to work.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Goodlettsville, TN

ProsIf you're looking for a permanent home in retail/a store to run,you should definitely consider Deb.
    We are in direct contact with our dm, regional and home office daily.They are always encouraging, energetic and full of ideas to increase sales (which increases management bonuses.)
    Sometimes we do get promo changes mid day,but it's rare and easy.

ConsI don't know about other stores,but the amount of coverage we need vs payroll hours is unrealistic in terms of preventing shrink.
    It's a great place to work if you plan on moving to a full time management position, but if you're looking for a part time associate position,we currently offer only 3hr shifts per associate per day in my district.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut down on quantity of staff and focus on quality.

Good Job

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFun people and easy to move up. Promotions are frequent.

ConsLow pay, slightly disorganized, weird dress code policy and must use a clear bag which is weird and hard to find.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your associates, pay them!

LOVE IT!

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe company is in the midst of a turn around/rebrand and there is not one new decision that the company has made that I disagree with. I have great communication with my DM and can see myself staying with the company for a very long time! It is a challenging environment that constantly keeps you on your toes and develops your strengths and weaknesses as a manager. Once you are able to staff your store yourself, it is a very fun work environment! You get a great discount and they run special employee appreciation days with even greater employee discounts from time to time and offer a GREAT bonus incentive program....better than any other retailer I have worked for in the past.

DM's...mine is absolutely amazing. She knows how to show you just the right amount of support and allows you to "own" your business as a manager.

Any time I have put in a work order, supply order, or needed to receive pay for travel expenses, etc...it has all been done in a VERY TIMELY MANNER. I can reach anyone at corporate with a single phone call and get any question answered and/or problem resolved...GREAT COMMUNICATION.

It's honestly a very exciting time at Deb Shops, Inc and I am very happy that I decided to become apart of the Deb Shops team....I expect great things to come of this company.

ConsPayroll-who wouldn't want more?
    SM's are expected to work A LOT of hours...hard to maintain good work-life balance.
    Allocation & Distribution-I don't need 10 runs of the same top in 10 different colors that don't sell to my customer...I have seen improvement in this department.
    Visual Integrity-They have implemented new visual standards which are great...need to create visual accountability to new standards however. And spend some money REMODELING the stores....I expect to see a lot of remodeling in the near future and better real estate in higher profile malls and shopping centers however.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with the new philosophy's of the company and allow yourself to CHANGE WITH THE COMPANY. Also, pave ways for advancement for those of us who are pursuing a CAREER rather than just working a job. Invest more money in internal candidates. IT TAKES MONEY TO MAKE MONEY.

challenging but rewarding

Manager (Former Employee)
    Trenton, NJ

ProsPeople; ability to make suggestions; recognition when goals are met. Easy to speak to store manager and district manager.

ConsNeeds updated technology, defined processes and more training tools.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevisit payroll budget process; more investment in store technology, less round racks, update signage, fixtures and store renovations.

A fun job and you are able to be creative.

ProsUpbeat music and mostly nice customers.

ConsShoplifters and customers who just want to be mean.

Cool people, nice discount

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Pros-coworkers
    -discount
    -get to do a lot of merchandising

Cons-low pay
    -expected to do everything a manager does as an associate
    -have to be on top of customers 24.7 which makes you seem obnoxious

Worked for Deb Shops? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Deb Shops reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Deb Shops CEO Dawn Robertson. All 87 reviews posted anonymously by Deb Shops employees.