Deb Shops Reviews

Updated September 7, 2014
Updated September 7, 2014
2.1

Dawn Robertson

Pros
  • employees get 40% discount on clothes (in 12 reviews)

• The employee discount is decent, but that's literally the only good thing I can think of (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not only is on different pages but in different books (in 17 reviews)

• The new district manager is driving my old store into the ground (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Absolutely the WORST job I've ever had: STAY AWAY

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  North Attleboro, MA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in North Attleboro, MA

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time for less than a year

Pros

NONE. I'm completely serious.

Cons

Complete and total lack of organization, training, and most of all, respect. I have worked for mcdonalds and it wasn't as bad as this. Absolutely the worst job I've ever had. I'm a store manager, leaving soon thankfully, and my salary is horrible.

Close up shop. You're an abomination.

What they don't pay you in money, they pay you in experience and learning.

I worked at Deb Shops full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have an excellent team that makes coming to work enjoyable. My DM is very supportive and helpful. The work is challenging so it really pushes you to learn and become a better manager. Plenty of PTO days.

Cons

The pay is not competitive at all, and they have no interest in being competitive. I had a member of executive management tell me that I need to hire managers that no one else wants so that they will take the pay rate we offer. Deb wants "hungry people" as she put it. They are so worried about cutting payroll costs (pay rate and budget hours) they do so at the cost of losing sales. SM has to work 60 hours a week just to maintain the store because the budget is ridiculous. Yet when executive management visits my store, they complain that enough people aren't scheduled to cater to customers.

Invest in a proper workforce and you will get the money back tenfold in sales. Stop treating your employees like garbage. If the company treated employees right and was able to retain them, they wouldn't spend so much precious payroll training new employees. This company is extremely disorganized. Figure out a system and stick to it. You are all wasting your employees time by making bad decisions. And the Store Managers are the ones that have to suffer because they need to put in all the extra hours to fix your mistakes.

Debshops can be an amazing place to work.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Deb Shops part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you're looking for a permanent home in retail/a store to run,you should definitely consider Deb.
    We are in direct contact with our dm, regional and home office daily.They are always encouraging, energetic and full of ideas to increase sales (which increases management bonuses.)
    Sometimes we do get promo changes mid day,but it's rare and easy.

Cons

I don't know about other stores,but the amount of coverage we need vs payroll hours is unrealistic in terms of preventing shrink.
    It's a great place to work if you plan on moving to a full time management position, but if you're looking for a part time associate position,we currently offer only 3hr shifts per associate per day in my district.

Cut down on quantity of staff and focus on quality.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No opportunity for advancement

Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved the 40% off discount and my co-workers. Other then that this company is terrible to work for.

Cons

Unfair hiring and promotion practices, unprofessional upper management, micro management, lack of payroll, high shrink, clientele

Good Job

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Deb Shops part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun people and easy to move up. Promotions are frequent.

Cons

Low pay, slightly disorganized, weird dress code policy and must use a clear bag which is weird and hard to find.

Take care of your associates, pay them!

Sinking Ship

I worked at Deb Shops full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great staff.
    At my location other people in the mall were cool.
    ...And that's all the pros I can think of.

Cons

The new district manager is driving my old store into the ground. She came from a store that went under and is staffing the store with people from a company that went under. Deb used to be good, a nice company that believes in their people. I remember laying on the floor crying working overnights and stuff to help the store and bring it to where it is now. Now? All the care factor is squeezed out of it, and you have no hope as an internal candidate. I received no training when I began and had to learn everything on my own. And when I put my 2 weeks in, my boss refused to talk to me, even when I was trying to help the store for the remainder of those 2 weeks. She even manipulated it so it looked like I didn't finish my two weeks and ruined my reference. Always remember as a leader that people work for people. And you catch more flies with genuine honey.

Listen to the people in your stores. We care and want to help you grow. Don't hire someone if everyone begs you not to. Set more of a schedule. I know you guys have your hands full trying to save the company, but try to prepare for changes beforehand. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, please do markdowns BEFORE floorset. By doing it the week after, you force everyone to do the work twice and waste precious payroll.

It made me realize just how challenging working the sales floor can be.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Langhorne, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Langhorne, PA

I worked at Deb Shops part-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked with some great people and I really enjoyed getting to help our customers, while doing a variety of other tasks, such as organizing the clothing racks, re-stocking inventory, and placing mark-downs.

Cons

The company itself is not very well organized in how it's run and as a sales associate, the hours are horrible.

Find ways to teach employees how to do better on the sales floor and increase sales. Also as a sales associate, it's difficult to get a promotion and salary raise, and even when a salary raise is given it isn't by very much, so if a higher salary and more room for a promotion could be given to sales associates that would be great.

Repetitive.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Erie, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Erie, CO

I worked at Deb Shops part-time for less than a year

Pros

A physically easy job, good hours.

Cons

Repetitive job. Nothing new or exciting.

very very stressful!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Akron, OH

I worked at Deb Shops full-time for more than a year

Pros

as a full time assistant manager, the pay is decent, the discount is good 40%.

Cons

negative work environment, constant promo changes-- sometimes in the middle of the day! tons of tasking not enough customer service, not enough hours for coverage-- heavy shrink... at my store, we went through two sets of management and then the new manager walked out, also had our regional manager quit and our new district manager rarely showed up... she didnt care about what was happening in our store. constant gossip, lies, backstabbing, and when you did tell her she just said that we all needed to learn how to "play nice" together. this was the worst job i have ever had in my life.. i was so stressed on a daily basis. my "new" manager actually told me that yes, we need to help customers, but shipment is more important. this company is horrible.. dont walk away... RUN!!!!! i'm very serious.

when you have constant strife in a store and someone is coming to you honestly and truly caring and asking for help.. maybe you should listen? you say that customers come first but with 2 person coverage (and i personally had one person coverage for up to 6 hours at a time) and a big store in a mall where there is high shrink, how can you really have eyes everywhere and do everything? listen to your employees, not just the dm who is never there. and if you say you care, actually mean it. thats a tiny start.

Overwhelming, unorganized Company

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Offers a Competitive pay rate

Cons

Overwork their employees to cut payroll and overload tasks on top of it. Deb used to be a great place to work but in the last few years they have hit a downward spiral. This company does not show appreciation or care for their lower level employees and they do not take time to train which results in a high turnover and poor work atmosphere. The Chicago Market is a disaster! Beware!

There is always chaos and if you don't invest in a good team you will continue to have high shrink and poor results! Good luck. Bring back the old Deb Values!!!!

Worked for Deb Shops? Contribute to the Community!