Deb Shops

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
2.2

Dawn Robertson

Pros
  • You get a 40% discount on their clothes, which is good because they are very cheaply made (in 16 reviews)

• The employee discount is decent, but that's literally the only good thing I can think of (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not only is on different pages but in different books (in 18 reviews)

• The new district manager is driving my old store into the ground (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

enjoyable, focusing on customer service, the opprotunity to enter act with customers

Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Garden City, KS
    Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Garden City, KS

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (less than an year)

Pros

full time employees get benefits , pay is excellent ,hours are good

Cons

paid holidays, raises are given, work in a jr fashions

clean store, have room for advancement, good training ,

Debshops can be an amazing place to work.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Deb Shops part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you're looking for a permanent home in retail/a store to run,you should definitely consider Deb.
    We are in direct contact with our dm, regional and home office daily.They are always encouraging, energetic and full of ideas to increase sales (which increases management bonuses.)
    Sometimes we do get promo changes mid day,but it's rare and easy.

Cons

I don't know about other stores,but the amount of coverage we need vs payroll hours is unrealistic in terms of preventing shrink.
    It's a great place to work if you plan on moving to a full time management position, but if you're looking for a part time associate position,we currently offer only 3hr shifts per associate per day in my district.

Cut down on quantity of staff and focus on quality.

Absolutely the WORST job I've ever had: STAY AWAY

Current Employee - Store Manager in North Attleboro, MA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in North Attleboro, MA

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (less than an year)

Pros

NONE. I'm completely serious.

Cons

Complete and total lack of organization, training, and most of all, respect. I have worked for mcdonalds and it wasn't as bad as this. Absolutely the worst job I've ever had. I'm a store manager, leaving soon thankfully, and my salary is horrible.

Close up shop. You're an abomination.

No opportunity for advancement

Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved the 40% off discount and my co-workers. Other then that this company is terrible to work for.

Cons

Unfair hiring and promotion practices, unprofessional upper management, micro management, lack of payroll, high shrink, clientele

Good Job

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun people and easy to move up. Promotions are frequent.

Cons

Low pay, slightly disorganized, weird dress code policy and must use a clear bag which is weird and hard to find.

Take care of your associates, pay them!

Sinking Ship

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff.
    At my location other people in the mall were cool.
    ...And that's all the pros I can think of.

Cons

The new district manager is driving my old store into the ground. She came from a store that went under and is staffing the store with people from a company that went under. Deb used to be good, a nice company that believes in their people. I remember laying on the floor crying working overnights and stuff to help the store and bring it to where it is now. Now? All the care factor is squeezed out of it, and you have no hope as an internal candidate. I received no training when I began and had to learn everything on my own. And when I put my 2 weeks in, my boss refused to talk to me, even when I was trying to help the store for the remainder of those 2 weeks. She even manipulated it so it looked like I didn't finish my two weeks and ruined my reference. Always remember as a leader that people work for people. And you catch more flies with genuine honey.

Listen to the people in your stores. We care and want to help you grow. Don't hire someone if everyone begs you not to. Set more of a schedule. I know you guys have your hands full trying to save the company, but try to prepare for changes beforehand. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, please do markdowns BEFORE floorset. By doing it the week after, you force everyone to do the work twice and waste precious payroll.

It made me realize just how challenging working the sales floor can be.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Langhorne, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Langhorne, PA

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked with some great people and I really enjoyed getting to help our customers, while doing a variety of other tasks, such as organizing the clothing racks, re-stocking inventory, and placing mark-downs.

Cons

The company itself is not very well organized in how it's run and as a sales associate, the hours are horrible.

Find ways to teach employees how to do better on the sales floor and increase sales. Also as a sales associate, it's difficult to get a promotion and salary raise, and even when a salary raise is given it isn't by very much, so if a higher salary and more room for a promotion could be given to sales associates that would be great.

Repetitive.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Erie, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Erie, CO

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (less than an year)

Pros

A physically easy job, good hours.

Cons

Repetitive job. Nothing new or exciting.

Overwhelming, unorganized Company

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Offers a Competitive pay rate

Cons

Overwork their employees to cut payroll and overload tasks on top of it. Deb used to be a great place to work but in the last few years they have hit a downward spiral. This company does not show appreciation or care for their lower level employees and they do not take time to train which results in a high turnover and poor work atmosphere. The Chicago Market is a disaster! Beware!

There is always chaos and if you don't invest in a good team you will continue to have high shrink and poor results! Good luck. Bring back the old Deb Values!!!!

Laughable! Waste of good time!

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is extremely hard to find any good to say about this company at all! There really are no pros at all!

Cons

I have never ever seen a company have the turn over in upper management ever!!!! In the Cincinnati area alone in a two year period there has been 5 district managers and 4 regional!!! That is laughable!!! I personal know store managers that are forced to work 50,60 80 hours a week with a salary of 44!

You seriously need to invest in better dist. and regional management, possible people that have a little more passion for what they are doing, who have better track records in problem solving instead of problem creation, And maybe invest in in company loss prevention instead of a out side company who have no interest in your company at all! It is easy to blame the people at the bottom when you don't have a clue whats going on with in your own company!