Deb Shops Reviews

Updated September 7, 2014
Updated September 7, 2014
2.1

Dawn Robertson

Pros
  • employees get 40% discount on clothes (in 12 reviews)

• The employee discount is decent, but that's literally the only good thing I can think of (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not only is on different pages but in different books (in 17 reviews)

• The new district manager is driving my old store into the ground (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Overwhelming, unorganized Company

Current Employee - Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Offers a Competitive pay rate

Cons

Overwork their employees to cut payroll and overload tasks on top of it. Deb used to be a great place to work but in the last few years they have hit a downward spiral. This company does not show appreciation or care for their lower level employees and they do not take time to train which results in a high turnover and poor work atmosphere. The Chicago Market is a disaster! Beware!

There is always chaos and if you don't invest in a good team you will continue to have high shrink and poor results! Good luck. Bring back the old Deb Values!!!!

Laughable! Waste of good time!

I worked at Deb Shops full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is extremely hard to find any good to say about this company at all! There really are no pros at all!

Cons

I have never ever seen a company have the turn over in upper management ever!!!! In the Cincinnati area alone in a two year period there has been 5 district managers and 4 regional!!! That is laughable!!! I personal know store managers that are forced to work 50,60 80 hours a week with a salary of 44!

You seriously need to invest in better dist. and regional management, possible people that have a little more passion for what they are doing, who have better track records in problem solving instead of problem creation, And maybe invest in in company loss prevention instead of a out side company who have no interest in your company at all! It is easy to blame the people at the bottom when you don't have a clue whats going on with in your own company!

Worst company ever....

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay as a manager.

Cons

No hours, too many tasks. They expect you to be able to do window changes and in store sign changes in the middle of a busy Saturday and only notify you ten minutes before the change via email. They also have no idea what current trends are. They want you to add on perfumes and magazines and this and that at the register. It's too much going on at one time. You get audited all the freaking time without notice and the registers go down almost every single day. Nothing about this company is organized. I work for the highest volume store in my district and they send me a million boxes of shipment but want me to work alone in the store until one everyday. Not even a sales associate to help until one. How am I supposed to get anything accomplished? They always have simple things like hold tags and bags (BAGS!) on back order. What am I supposed to put my customers clothes in???? Everything about this company is wrong. I hear about managers walking out on the company at least once a week, if not more. I have had three store managers walk out on me in less than a year. This company is so horrible. The worst.

Do everything different from how you're doing it and you may actually keep your management staff.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't Waste Your Time Here

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Deb Shops full-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount was a plus- it was 40% off.
    The job was enjoyable if you had the right staff in place

Cons

Not enough payroll to effectively run the business
    Lack of communication
    Disorganized
    Constantly changing things for the worst
    High shrink due to lack of coverage
    Upper Management was very political

Give people the tools that they need to succeed and stop playing favorites
    Also, find out the facts before you accuse people of malicious things

Been a Rough Company

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people you work with in the store on a day to day bases.

Cons

Terrible training program, lack of consistency with in company standards, difficulty getting answers from upper management, lack of trust in employees, biased accountability

Don't lie to your employees and place the blame on former upper management. Find a way to better communicate. Don't overload stores with product during floorsets! Do markdowns before floorsets so they can be done easier! Reward your employees better for hitting goals and don't accuse them of having it out for you!

Hectic stressful chaotic!

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time for more than a year

Pros

People whom you work with. Everyone strives to do their best and wants to reach goals or standards set.

Cons

Constantc change in standards, day to day. What is ok on one dm visit will not ok by another. No consistency. No rhyme or reason for rules or visual standards or changes to them. Upper management not only is on different pages but in different books. Benifits are costly. Constant schedule changes because of last minute floor changes or markdowns or other random non-customer service oriented activities.

Figure it out before the ship sinks, we all know its flooded on the lower level. You have many passionate ememployees, show appreciation for long term ones. Most of what your trying to change or introduce has been done before.

Great Experience!

I worked at Deb Shops

Pros

Friendly office management, great dresses and coats, trendy clothing at affordable price.

Cons

I had no cons during the time I worked at Deb. Loved senior management!

It has been 16 years since I worked for the company. At the time the Senior officers were outstanding and treated me with the most respect. It is sad to hear all of this bad pr from employees on this site. Deb at the time I worked for them was a family oriented atmosphere. They cared about their people. Maybe they need to look back at what the previous management was doing right.

Deb Shops: Where Having a Great Day Comes First and Organization Comes Last

Current Employee - Stockroom Manager  in  Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Stockroom Manager in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Deb Shops part-time for less than a year

Pros

The best reasons to work at Deb Shops is to earn an income and take advantage of the employee discount.

Cons

Some of the challenges of working at Debs is maintaining organization of the merchandise and catching criminals in the act of stealing.

My advice to upper management is to become better acquainted with their lower management team. I also advise that the upper management personnel consider installing security devices to offer their customers and staff a higher level of protection while working or shopping at the Wilmington store. Finally, I believe upper management would benefit by investing in maintenance and equipment to display an appearance of quality for customers and provide a better work environment for employees.

Not great, very toxic environment...

I worked at Deb Shops full-time for more than a year

Pros

The majority of the individuals working for the company are decent, hardworking and honest people. They genuinely care about the company and work very hard to help it succeed.

Cons

There is a complete and utter lack of communication between the corporate office and the field. The company seems to be struggling financially and therefore does not invest to heavily into the stores themselves. Many locations are outdated and look very tired. Payroll is tight and the goals are almost unattainable; i.e. it can take up to four hours to place the proper signage for promotions, yet it is not uncommon for the corporate office to make changes to those promotions multiple times throughout the week. It's a shame, because the majority of the store associates are very passionate about their jobs and fight this uphill battle week in and week out!

Be honest with yourselves and those who work for you! Stop hiring warm bodies and "yes" men and start investing in those who can get you out of the downward spiral that you are in. If you don't think you can right the ship, have the courage to inform those who have invested so much time trying to make the company successful and let them decide if they should start looking while they still have a job...

Terrible.where is the leadership ?

Former Employee - Sales Lead  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Deb Shops full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Only Some attempt to make it a successful company

Cons

Others are exhausting the assets and are clueless in how to run a store

Be realistic in your expectations.do not set up your associates to fail.

Worked for Deb Shops? Contribute to the Community!