Deb Shops Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
2.1

Dawn Robertson

Pros
  • You get a 40% discount on their clothes, which is good because they are very cheaply made (in 13 reviews)

• The employee discount is decent, but that's literally the only good thing I can think of (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not only is on different pages but in different books (in 18 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be managed especially with a schedule of rotating night and weekends and weekends off (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

It made me realize just how challenging working the sales floor can be.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Langhorne, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Langhorne, PA

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked with some great people and I really enjoyed getting to help our customers, while doing a variety of other tasks, such as organizing the clothing racks, re-stocking inventory, and placing mark-downs.

Cons

The company itself is not very well organized in how it's run and as a sales associate, the hours are horrible.

Find ways to teach employees how to do better on the sales floor and increase sales. Also as a sales associate, it's difficult to get a promotion and salary raise, and even when a salary raise is given it isn't by very much, so if a higher salary and more room for a promotion could be given to sales associates that would be great.

Repetitive.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Erie, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Erie, CO

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (less than an year)

Pros

A physically easy job, good hours.

Cons

Repetitive job. Nothing new or exciting.

very very stressful!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Akron, OH

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

as a full time assistant manager, the pay is decent, the discount is good 40%.

Cons

negative work environment, constant promo changes-- sometimes in the middle of the day! tons of tasking not enough customer service, not enough hours for coverage-- heavy shrink... at my store, we went through two sets of management and then the new manager walked out, also had our regional manager quit and our new district manager rarely showed up... she didnt care about what was happening in our store. constant gossip, lies, backstabbing, and when you did tell her she just said that we all needed to learn how to "play nice" together. this was the worst job i have ever had in my life.. i was so stressed on a daily basis. my "new" manager actually told me that yes, we need to help customers, but shipment is more important. this company is horrible.. dont walk away... RUN!!!!! i'm very serious.

when you have constant strife in a store and someone is coming to you honestly and truly caring and asking for help.. maybe you should listen? you say that customers come first but with 2 person coverage (and i personally had one person coverage for up to 6 hours at a time) and a big store in a mall where there is high shrink, how can you really have eyes everywhere and do everything? listen to your employees, not just the dm who is never there. and if you say you care, actually mean it. thats a tiny start.

Overwhelming, unorganized Company

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Offers a Competitive pay rate

Cons

Overwork their employees to cut payroll and overload tasks on top of it. Deb used to be a great place to work but in the last few years they have hit a downward spiral. This company does not show appreciation or care for their lower level employees and they do not take time to train which results in a high turnover and poor work atmosphere. The Chicago Market is a disaster! Beware!

There is always chaos and if you don't invest in a good team you will continue to have high shrink and poor results! Good luck. Bring back the old Deb Values!!!!

Laughable! Waste of good time!

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is extremely hard to find any good to say about this company at all! There really are no pros at all!

Cons

I have never ever seen a company have the turn over in upper management ever!!!! In the Cincinnati area alone in a two year period there has been 5 district managers and 4 regional!!! That is laughable!!! I personal know store managers that are forced to work 50,60 80 hours a week with a salary of 44!

You seriously need to invest in better dist. and regional management, possible people that have a little more passion for what they are doing, who have better track records in problem solving instead of problem creation, And maybe invest in in company loss prevention instead of a out side company who have no interest in your company at all! It is easy to blame the people at the bottom when you don't have a clue whats going on with in your own company!

Worst company ever....

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay as a manager.

Cons

No hours, too many tasks. They expect you to be able to do window changes and in store sign changes in the middle of a busy Saturday and only notify you ten minutes before the change via email. They also have no idea what current trends are. They want you to add on perfumes and magazines and this and that at the register. It's too much going on at one time. You get audited all the freaking time without notice and the registers go down almost every single day. Nothing about this company is organized. I work for the highest volume store in my district and they send me a million boxes of shipment but want me to work alone in the store until one everyday. Not even a sales associate to help until one. How am I supposed to get anything accomplished? They always have simple things like hold tags and bags (BAGS!) on back order. What am I supposed to put my customers clothes in???? Everything about this company is wrong. I hear about managers walking out on the company at least once a week, if not more. I have had three store managers walk out on me in less than a year. This company is so horrible. The worst.

Do everything different from how you're doing it and you may actually keep your management staff.

Don't Waste Your Time Here

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount was a plus- it was 40% off.
    The job was enjoyable if you had the right staff in place

Cons

Not enough payroll to effectively run the business
    Lack of communication
    Disorganized
    Constantly changing things for the worst
    High shrink due to lack of coverage
    Upper Management was very political

Give people the tools that they need to succeed and stop playing favorites
    Also, find out the facts before you accuse people of malicious things

Good at first but then went downhill.. Quickly

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discount is great but the staff is even more fun to work with. Some customers are good, depends on the clientele that's being brought in. Product is cute, fun and trendy.

Cons

District and regional managers can be cruel and nasty. Basically said no one was able for a raise after lowering shrink substantially. Last minute changes especially to floor sets. Gossip central.

Get it together or you will lose employees quicker then they can be replenished.

Been a Rough Company

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people you work with in the store on a day to day bases.

Cons

Terrible training program, lack of consistency with in company standards, difficulty getting answers from upper management, lack of trust in employees, biased accountability

Don't lie to your employees and place the blame on former upper management. Find a way to better communicate. Don't overload stores with product during floorsets! Do markdowns before floorsets so they can be done easier! Reward your employees better for hitting goals and don't accuse them of having it out for you!

Great Experience!

I worked at Deb Shops

Pros

Friendly office management, great dresses and coats, trendy clothing at affordable price.

Cons

I had no cons during the time I worked at Deb. Loved senior management!

It has been 16 years since I worked for the company. At the time the Senior officers were outstanding and treated me with the most respect. It is sad to hear all of this bad pr from employees on this site. Deb at the time I worked for them was a family oriented atmosphere. They cared about their people. Maybe they need to look back at what the previous management was doing right.