Deb Shops

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015
2.3

Dawn Robertson

Pros
  • You get a 40% discount on their clothes, which is good because they are very cheaply made (in 16 reviews)

• The employee discount is decent, but that's literally the only good thing I can think of (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not only is on different pages but in different books (in 18 reviews)

• The new district manager is driving my old store into the ground (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

If you don't have thick skin, this isn't the place for you.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The only good thing was getting enough experience to get the next job.

Cons

You will be worked to tears, I literally cried at least once a week. Even if you bust your butt, your compensation will be zero. People are unfriendly, bitter, and will throw you under for their own gain. The only way to get ahead is to brown nose the top people, go behind everyone elses back, take credit for work that isn't your own.

Recognize those that truly work hard and for the pure benefit of he company and compensate them accordingly. A max of a sad 5% increase in pay when everyone knows the VP's are making triple digits severely hurts the morale of the workers.

It was an Okay place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The discounts and laid back work clothing were the only pros that I liked.

Cons

The people are drama, and I was always trying to find something to do once it was done I stood around for the rest of my shift. This is not what I wanted.

A good company if you would like to advance.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Marion, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Marion, IL

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good training for the most part.
    40% off discount start out with 15 days pto

Cons

low pay for the work at times requires the sm to work 44 hours

keep with it things are getting better I have been with deb for over 4 years and this is the best year it has been yet

Definitely a sinking ship

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I liked most of my team and the pay was decent.

Cons

Where to start?? There was zero communication between stores, upper management and the Home Office. You could email the DM asking a very important question that needed to be answered asap and she would either wait a week to get back to you or you would just never hear anything about it. I would repeatedly email asking about the same thing and never get a response. Home Office just sends out unrealistic orders expecting you to get them done right away. No notice of promotion changes right in the middle of the day which also comes with window changes. Or they come up with a great new idea on how to display shorts and they want a pic of it asap. Did I mention I'm watching my store alone?? How did you expect me to get all of this done while customer servicing and making sure people weren't robbing me blind!! Lack of payroll meant we were watching our stores alone for up to 5 hours. Obviously, our shrink numbers were going to be bad. And God forbid you went over hours or you were gonna hear it from the DM. I'm sorry, our store had a million customers and we used an on call to work on markdowns, promo changes, window changes, shipment, new displays...... The turn over here is CRAZY!! I've been with the company for 5 years and have dealt with about 8 different DMs. None of which really seemed to care about much. I've seen probably 50 different people walk out of our store from sales associates to management. We were constantly changing our policies and doing new things, none of which ever worked. They are constantly on us about our numbers. Get up the sales, the upts, your email numbers, the Reign perfumes and now the magazines. We annoy the customers at the register with the thousand questions we have to ask them. And although I could go on and on, I will end here. Personally, my store is disgusting. The carpet is ruined, the tiles are dirty, fixtures are falling apart. We are constantly being told we're getting upgraded. Too little, too late. If I didn't work here, I definitely wouldn't shop here.

To the dm and home office- listen to the field employees. We know what we're talking about because we are ACTUALLY the ones doing the work. Don't send me display changes, promotions and markdowns all in one morning. It's impossible to get that done alone, but you wouldn't know that because you create these ideas at a cozy office desk.
    Pay your employees better or at least give opportunities for a SIGNIFICANT raise. 11 cents isn't getting anyone anywhere.
    Get new buyers. The clothes are cheap and juvenile. I've had lots of customers tell me they don't like our clothes and that they don't shop here anymore because they expect better.
    Lastly, don't make a promise you can't keep. I've been told they would renovate/rebrand my store for 4 years now and we haven't seen anything. We don't make the money because our store looks cheap and people don't want to shop. You don't want to renovate because we aren't making our money. We aren't making our money because our store looks cheap. It's a vicious cycle and at this rate, this ship is sinking.

STAY AWAY!!!

Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Strongsville, OH
    Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Strongsville, OH

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great sales associates.. The girls that worked for me were amazing and I feel bad that they have such a negative experience at a retail store. Most of the girls are very young and this is their first job.

Cons

Everything.

Dms are constantly changing. Supposedly they were trying to get enough documentation to try and fire my store manager but NOTHING WAS DONE. My store manager was AWFUL. She didn't have her own phone, so I was forced to call her boyfriend and leave a message every single time whenever I needed to get in contact with her. 75% of the time she never got back to me. There was no structure in the store as far as management. The turn over was so high with management nothing was consistent. Lazy management, lack of communication, the store is dirty. I would never want to shop at the location I worked at and was embarrassed for my friends to come visits me.

the company itself is in a bad place. There is lack of communication from home office and everything is all over the place. Promo changes in the middle of the day with no notice a day after a promo change was just set, lack of email communication. The company just got a new CEO and they are in a transition period but the company was by far the most disorganized and unprofessional place I has ever worked.

DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

Great at first, but turned terrible

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Deb Shops part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is really the only thing I can think of, and being the first to see the new clothes and seeing what new trends are "in". and some of the employees are very fun to work with

Cons

pay isn't that great, once new management came in the store turned into trash. A lot of rules were being broken, even situations that were illegal were taking place, and the district manager brushed us off and thought we were petty. that company is too focused on making money and not paying close enough attention on what kind of people are being hired

Always make sure if you are hiring (especially higher management) make sure what is on their resume and application is actually correct and if there is a problem in the store and it is not being solved, YOU need to fix it before loss prevention comes in and does a clean sweep. constant promotion changes in the middle of the day creates angry employees and even angrier customers

What they don't pay you in money, they pay you in experience and learning.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have an excellent team that makes coming to work enjoyable. My DM is very supportive and helpful. The work is challenging so it really pushes you to learn and become a better manager. Plenty of PTO days.

Cons

The pay is not competitive at all, and they have no interest in being competitive. I had a member of executive management tell me that I need to hire managers that no one else wants so that they will take the pay rate we offer. Deb wants "hungry people" as she put it. They are so worried about cutting payroll costs (pay rate and budget hours) they do so at the cost of losing sales. SM has to work 60 hours a week just to maintain the store because the budget is ridiculous. Yet when executive management visits my store, they complain that enough people aren't scheduled to cater to customers.

Invest in a proper workforce and you will get the money back tenfold in sales. Stop treating your employees like garbage. If the company treated employees right and was able to retain them, they wouldn't spend so much precious payroll training new employees. This company is extremely disorganized. Figure out a system and stick to it. You are all wasting your employees time by making bad decisions. And the Store Managers are the ones that have to suffer because they need to put in all the extra hours to fix your mistakes.

enjoyable, focusing on customer service, the opprotunity to enter act with customers

Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Garden City, KS
    Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Garden City, KS

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (less than a year)

Pros

full time employees get benefits , pay is excellent ,hours are good

Cons

paid holidays, raises are given, work in a jr fashions

clean store, have room for advancement, good training ,

Debshops can be an amazing place to work.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Goodlettsville, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Goodlettsville, TN

I have been working at Deb Shops part-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you're looking for a permanent home in retail/a store to run,you should definitely consider Deb.
    We are in direct contact with our dm, regional and home office daily.They are always encouraging, energetic and full of ideas to increase sales (which increases management bonuses.)
    Sometimes we do get promo changes mid day,but it's rare and easy.

Cons

I don't know about other stores,but the amount of coverage we need vs payroll hours is unrealistic in terms of preventing shrink.
    It's a great place to work if you plan on moving to a full time management position, but if you're looking for a part time associate position,we currently offer only 3hr shifts per associate per day in my district.

Cut down on quantity of staff and focus on quality.

Absolutely the WORST job I've ever had: STAY AWAY

Current Employee - Store Manager in North Attleboro, MA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in North Attleboro, MA

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (less than a year)

Pros

NONE. I'm completely serious.

Cons

Complete and total lack of organization, training, and most of all, respect. I have worked for mcdonalds and it wasn't as bad as this. Absolutely the worst job I've ever had. I'm a store manager, leaving soon thankfully, and my salary is horrible.

Close up shop. You're an abomination.