Deb Shops Reviews

Reset

1. Mediocre

Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Mifflin, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in West Mifflin, PA

Pros

The discount was nice and I enjoyed the visual merchandising aspect.

Cons

Poor compensation for all that you were required to do. The merchandise styles were generally awful....whoever the company buyer is needs replaced. Their mannequin outfit suggestions were terrible as well. They failed to train employees properly and didn't bother making any improvements to the stores. Overall it was not a good place to work. And half of their "rules" didn't make sense. We sell ripped/destroyed denim but we can't wear it as an associate? Yeah, that makes sense.

Advice to Management

Train your employees better, have better incentives if you expect us to do 5 jobs in 1. More realistic expectations.

2. Bad structure in terms of coverage

Pros

Great benefits and fun enviorment

Cons

Bad structure for scheduling ensures that employees have to work single staffed thus increasing shrink and decreasing profitability.

3. Great experience

Pros

Pretty good pay and benefits

Cons

Lots of travel not much of work life balance

Advice to Management

no comment

5. Great co-workers, not great upper management

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

I met some great girls while working here

Cons

There were too many tasks but not enough payroll hours to complete

6. Terrible work experience thank god it's closing

Pros

Great clothing, corporate cares Very busy whole shift Do your own visuals

Cons

Terrible manager, only cared about herself, other store manager unprofessional

Advice to Management

Don't work here

7. overworked

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

good environment, dm very helpful, other store managers helpful and friendly.

Cons

working upwards of 60 hours/week, not paid for anything over 40 hours. promotion changes at the last minute, meaning you stay till 11 or 12 pm. hard to find good employees

Advice to Management

fewer promotion changes, more realistic expectations for staff

8. Going to be gone soon

Former Employee - Sale's Lead
    Former Employee - Sale's Lead

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Um, hard to say. Most of my coworkers were cool.

Cons

Where to begin... First, liquidation. Company will probably not be around much longer. They have NO idea what they are doing as a company. To be honest, I have NO idea how they lasted this long. They cut hours down to one person many times in a high volume large store. They were then shocked that our shrink was 20-25%. That is unheard of!!!! They don't really know what they are doing. In my store within a year they had 7 managers. Each managers do things differently so it was difficult to keep up with each manager. They also give employees crap hours. How is someone supposed to live on working 4 hours a week!! All the part-timers worked 4 hours a week. Even as a second job that is unacceptable. I wasn't getting enough hours (I was sales lead so I got about 15-20 - not 4 at least) so I told them I got a second job and it was mostly third shift but I couldn't open 2 days a week. I could even come in the morning just couldn't actually open the store. My manager acted like it was unreasonable. So basically I was supposed to be available the whole time but only get 15-20 hours. I also was told many times from my management I would get promoted. The regional manager came into talk to my manager about me and without ever meeting me said no because I didn't have retail experience before this. I had been there for a while though and was one of the hardest worker there. Even when my manager was being lazy I would be straightening up, checking missed markdowns (as this was prevalent because of laziness), etc. I could go on but overall my point is that this company sucks.

Advice to Management

Well I guess it's probably too late now...

9. Not Bad

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Omaha, NE

Pros

Very easy going job if you stay on task & do what you're supposed to. I loved working as an assistant there. Wish I didn't have to leave.

Cons

It is very hard to move up in the company so when you do get the opportunity, take it!!! The only reason I got offered a management position is because they didn't want to hire outside of the company. They are also very STINGY with hours. As a part time assistant I'd only get 16-25 hours. And when I was first offered the job they told me an hourly rate that we agreed on, after that it was lowered .50 because of a reason that was never mentioned to me.

10. This is a very low company!

Current Employee - Store Manager in White Marsh, MD
    Current Employee - Store Manager in White Marsh, MD

Pros

My team-Our team! Paychecks & discount!

Cons

-Corporation is discriminatory -District managers are racist. Bluntly say discriminatory remarks in front of you -Poor corporation -Poor communication from upper level to lower level -Lack of care for their people -Over worked and unorganized -Poor management -No company values

Advice to Management

Look elsewhere.I've only been a manager here for a short period of time and company failed to alert entire on boarding management team that they are in distress and going out of business. I was hired after a complete elimination of all management and associates and a very high shrink result. Store was a disaster. We were used beyond all measures to get the store back up and running because they had no one. The few members of management that I met are on drugs. Reports have been made by customers and corporation failed to pursue. Leadership is weak. Merchandise is low quality.

11. Good company but not performing well

Pros

Good upper level management, bonus structure.

Cons

Company is not performing well, work life balance.

RSS Feed </> Embed