Deb Shops Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
2.1

Dawn Robertson

Pros
  • You get a 40% discount on their clothes, which is good because they are very cheaply made (in 13 reviews)

• The employee discount is decent, but that's literally the only good thing I can think of (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not only is on different pages but in different books (in 18 reviews)

• Work-life balance can be managed especially with a schedule of rotating night and weekends and weekends off (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

My Last year there was horrible and miserable!!!

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good discount, fun atmosphere once you get the right staff

Cons

Regional manager was the most unprofessional person I have ever met in my life!!! If she doesnt like the way you look she doesn't want you working for deb...no work/life balance....shoplifting in that company is horrible they give you no security devices to help you....if your shrink comes back bad they threaten your job....

They need to get more professional people to be leaders

Do not apply here.

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Deb Shops part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employee discount is decent, but that's literally the only good thing I can think of.

Cons

They hire at 16, and all the younger employees were catty and lazy in my experience (I was 20 when I worked there). All the managers and DM's I met were rude as well. Overall the work environment is just very negative and judgmental. The pay is horrible for the amount of work you're expected to do, which is why I saw at least 5 people get hired and quit in the short time I worked there. The merchandise is very cheap, and it shows.

I wouldn't recommend applying.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Plainfield, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Plainfield, IN

I have been working at Deb Shops part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-The discount is pretty great if you like the clothes.
    -In-store employees tend to be agreeable, personally adore my manager but that is for this store
    -The work isn't terrible. Unboxing clothes is actually pretty relaxing.

Cons

-The pay is terribly for the work you have to do.
    -Expected to do the work of five employees all at once.
    -Two people in the store is not enough to get everything done that is expected, even when it isn't busy.
    -There is a constant feeling of distress that your job may be at risk.
    -DM's show obvious favoritism and nepotism. They recently appointed an employee at our store and told her to have all her friends apply despite the fact that we have no job slots available. Essentially, they were told to find our replacements.
    -Even if you accomplish everything you need to in the store, you will be berated by upper management that you did everything wrong, despite following everything to a T (not the store managers mind you. They are essentially doing your job with you)
    -Schedules are never approved by upper management and they change them on a whim. This makes it difficult to know when you should be there. I've had hours randomly cut or tacked onto my shift.
    -They don't care about you. Period, end of story. You are considered an all-purpose tool, and they will frequently use their screwdrivers as hammers.

-We were also told during inventory that we were not allowed to take breaks, talk, get a drink and/or food, or go to the bathroom for 7 hours straight. They were not kidding. I wish there was a way to bold this.

-Become more empathetic towards your employees.
    -Replace your DM's with people that are capable of the job and know how to handle interpersonal relations properly, or you are looking at several thousand human resources lawsuits. Being told we are not allowed to use the restroom is not only unethical, but also illegal.

The worst company I have ever worked for

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pros- The discount is decent but the product is very poorly made

So really I have nothing positive to say for this company

Cons

Payroll- You are never given enough to cover the store and do all of the tasks given to the mid volume stores and I can't imagine what a high volume store has to work with.

With the lack of payroll the theft in the stores are unbelievable. If it is not external theft it is internal.

Upper management does not care about store line employees at all. There is no work/life balance. Store Managers are told to work 44 hours a week but are told that they should put in more hours to make sure that the store is running properly. I had been told on several occasions that I should be working more than 50 hours per week. DM's are just as catty as the teenage sales associates talking about each store manager with the others. Privacy does not matter to them. There is no compassion at all and it is extremely unfortunate.

Professionalism is lacking in this company. I know things about my former DM's that I should not know and it is a poor image on the company. Hard work is not rewarded in this company, being the DM's favorite is. Employees are being promoted that should not be. RM's need to make more of a presence in stores to see what is actually happening in the stores.

Sales

I worked at Deb Shops full-time

Pros

great culture and Fast paced

Cons

Salary drive no room for growth

LOVE IT!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is in the midst of a turn around/rebrand and there is not one new decision that the company has made that I disagree with. I have great communication with my DM and can see myself staying with the company for a very long time! It is a challenging environment that constantly keeps you on your toes and develops your strengths and weaknesses as a manager. Once you are able to staff your store yourself, it is a very fun work environment! You get a great discount and they run special employee appreciation days with even greater employee discounts from time to time and offer a GREAT bonus incentive program....better than any other retailer I have worked for in the past.

DM's...mine is absolutely amazing. She knows how to show you just the right amount of support and allows you to "own" your business as a manager.

Any time I have put in a work order, supply order, or needed to receive pay for travel expenses, etc...it has all been done in a VERY TIMELY MANNER. I can reach anyone at corporate with a single phone call and get any question answered and/or problem resolved...GREAT COMMUNICATION.

It's honestly a very exciting time at Deb Shops, Inc and I am very happy that I decided to become apart of the Deb Shops team....I expect great things to come of this company.

Cons

Payroll-who wouldn't want more?
    SM's are expected to work A LOT of hours...hard to maintain good work-life balance.
    Allocation & Distribution-I don't need 10 runs of the same top in 10 different colors that don't sell to my customer...I have seen improvement in this department.
    Visual Integrity-They have implemented new visual standards which are great...need to create visual accountability to new standards however. And spend some money REMODELING the stores....I expect to see a lot of remodeling in the near future and better real estate in higher profile malls and shopping centers however.

Continue with the new philosophy's of the company and allow yourself to CHANGE WITH THE COMPANY. Also, pave ways for advancement for those of us who are pursuing a CAREER rather than just working a job. Invest more money in internal candidates. IT TAKES MONEY TO MAKE MONEY.

The bad out weighs the good

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Gained just enough experience to move on to something better.

Cons

Morale is low. Unless your someone's pet or willing to step on people, there is no room for growth. The atmosphere in the company headquarters breaks you down mentally while the hours break your down physically. Prepare for lack of respect and dealing with caddy women like you did back in high school.

Learn to recognize the hard workers who are truly there to do their work and keep hold of them. A simple "thank you" or "you are doing a good job" will go a long way but those words are scarcely heard. The pay that is handed out in the company is far below industry standards. Show ALL of your employees respect.

Discrimination against black and plus size employees

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good discounts on poorly made clothing . Good lower level staff

Cons

High turn over, company frowns upon plus employees and very discriminatory toward blacks and Hispanic employees. They sell plus size clothing but what their image to not be plus size only juniors. The DM sucks you never can get in touch with her until she wants you too. If you're gay/lesbian they don't want that as their image either . The pay sucks for all the work you do. Upper management is horrible and they have one black employee but that's only for show.

When you have good people in you shouldn't be worried about their color or weight.

Assistant Buyer

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Deb Shops full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Half day fridays during summer
    Free lunch
    Friendly employees
    Casual dresscode

Cons

Long hours
    Buyers never leave so no room for promotion
    Alot expected for little pay

No such thing as common sense

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time

Pros

Once you build a stable and enjoyable team, it can be a fun place to work with enjoyable coworkers.
    40% discount

Cons

budgets cut tremendously
    not enough payroll to cover the store
    forcing employees to work under unsafe conditions
    scolding those who speak out against the unsafe conditions
    underpaid
    poor communication from home office
    unproductive tasks
    high stress levels

This company sets you up for failure so that they do not have to pay you and bonuses/raises. They take overworked and underpaid to a new level. Expectations are not clearly laid out, and then you are penalized for their lack or organization later. Anyone can say they are turning over a new leaf, but it is the actions that define that.