Debenhams

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
2.4

Michael Sharp

Pros
  • 20% staff discount is handy, along with extra discount in the run up to Christmas (in 23 reviews)

• Debenhams has some very good staff working for them (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I may not be on the till at all times pushing people but I made sure the shop floor was tidy etc (in 9 reviews)

• no support, minimum wage, management never mix wilth staff or listen to them (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good experience

I worked at Debenhams part-time

Pros

Culture and team and great work culture

Cons

ideas to fruition,sometimes management wants things to be done their way

Management has to be proactive and not to stick to the pre determined goals

Selling support manager

Former Employee - Selling Support Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Selling Support Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Debenhams full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay not bad
    Equals in the company are a good support network
    feel like you're making a difference

Cons

Long hours
    No bonus etc
    poor training
    they will expect you to take a lot of responsibility very quickly
    not a lot of scope for progression unless willingness to relocate

More training

A great team in an average environment

Former Employee - Senior Sales Advisor in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Advisor in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at Debenhams part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great discount across the entire store, friendly colleagues, great high street presence, well known brand, great target driven environment if thats what you enjoy

Cons

Being guilt tripped in to overtime, it's very difficult to progress, there doesn't seem to be a dedicated training structure. Everything is based around accounts, some targets seem completely unrealistic. Some stores have seen their best days go by.

Create a career pathway, and allow young employees to flourish not be hidden away, Up date and refresh stores before they need completely renovating.

Christmas temp experience

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Witney, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Witney, England (UK)

I have been working at Debenhams part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Staff discount of 20%
    Can be fun talking with customers and helping them
    Various shifts / hours

Cons

Minimum wage
    Inadequate training
    Poor communication, I can't believe that staff do not have access to work email
    Rotas are not given far enough in advance (should be 4 weeks ahead, but often is only a couple of weeks)
    Manager changes the rota without notice
    Pressure to sell credit card accounts, it is the top priority even above customer service
    Staff disrespect each other and talk about each other behind their backs

Plan shift rotas four weeks ahead, like you are supposed to do
    Implement staff email accounts for everyone
    Increase pay

Never looking back!

Former Employee - Supervisor in Canterbury, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Canterbury, England (UK)

I worked at Debenhams full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You meet some great people and the staff (below management level) are very close knit and almost like a family.

Cons

Well, where do I start..
    I worked at Debenhams for over 5 years. At first, I started there to get a bit of money in at the end of the month whilst I decided what I wanted to do with my career. At the start I thought it was great to be working for a huge Retailer and I was told how great Debenhams was to work for. I actually decided that I wanted to progress as a Sales Manager as it seemed like an easy thing to do.. I was wrong and I ended up working my socks off continuously for 4 years until I got promoted to Supervisor. There were a lot of broken promises.. 'Oh, you will get your training after Mega week' and they kept me fooled and hanging on to their word.
    It was so draining. Everyone felt the same and there was no team morale. I started looking for a job after 2 years but due to the job market, there was not much to offer and at least with Debenhams you had some sort of safety net.
    There was a lot of bullying from Management and there were many days I would come home crying because I had been made to feel so worthless everyday. Nothing was good enough and nothing was right. What did they expect from someone on minimum wage though?!
    On so many occasions you would turn up to work and the rota would have been changed without asking or notification. Also, you would turn up and it would get to the late afternoon when all of a sudden there is a last minute sale or last minute area manager visit and no one would be leaving until everything was done. Probably never got paid for that extra time either.. Just promised TIL that you never got given anyway. Also, cashing up at the end of the day. Shop would shut on the hour but you would be in for an extra ten minutes to close down and cash up. So you would get a few customers hanging around, most nights staying for an extra 20 mins.. All unpaid too. I'm not a cheapskate or tight but when a company gives you nothing in return, it is hard to feel happy about doing extra time unpaid.
    Managers have their 'favourites' when it comes to staff and if you are not in that group, you have no chance. I am so glad to be rid of that place. Everyone looks miserable and now when I see old work friends, people comment on how well I look. I am a lot happier and working for a company that appreciates everyone.
    The area manager too is a total stuck up and miserable man. We got told that we must say hello to him but that he will ignore us because we are 'peasants'.
    Every morning we would have a meeting about sales targets too! Miserable as hell. Debenhams is a failing company. No one enjoys working there. Also marking prices up before a sale (disgusting!!) too! Accounts are a nightmare.. you couldn't open enough. If you open one, instead of a well done, you get asked to open another. Management team = a joke. Debenhams polices = a joke.
    Pay is awful. Minimum wage but they expect you to give them the world!

This job is only good if you have no social life, no family or relationships. Good for students who can handle a few hours a week but truthfully not recommended at all. I got a pay rise of 20p for being a Supervisor. The extra pressure and unfair treatment was unbearable.

Stop your clever bullying tactics.. You are losing all the best staff members due to lack of appreciation.

I love my job

Current Employee - Designer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Designer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Debenhams full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love the people I work with

Cons

Bonus catchment is made too difficult to be within reach

Don't sell 'benefits' as salary

Sales Advisor

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I have been working at Debenhams part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The discount is great as Im able to get so many of my gifts for family and friends these.
    Options for do overnight shifts are great for extra pay.
    Plenty hours available and the option to work on other departments.
    Great co-workers.

Cons

Alot of pressure on opening mastercards accounts which are unachievable. Rotas are disorganised as its such an old system of them being printed off and having to check them in work, when places like John Lewis use much more convenient and modern systems where you can login online to check shifts, see other shifts than need covering etc.

Uniform looks dated, doesn't feel that smart.

Management do seem lazy at times. Not always prepared to get their hands dirty and very often difficult to find when in need of their help with a customer.

Less pressure on accounts as I feel like your having to do the hard sell which agitates customers a lot.

Things like returns policies, you'll often say to a customer that they can only exchange/not get a refund etc, then when the manager comes over they just say yes okay we'll do that for you. It just makes the assistant look bad as your saying one thing and they manager just undermines you in front of the customer, what are the point of us saying we have policies if they aren't stuck too. And had this happen too regularly.

Great teams, however some departmental managers need to be given the shove!

Former Employee - Customer Services Supervisor in Winchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Services Supervisor in Winchester, England (UK)

I worked at Debenhams part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Was great to work across the different departments, to receive a higher rate of pay for working sundays and to have the option of buying shares after the first year with the company. Debenhams also offer a generous staff discount scheme and a higher wage for being the in-store first aider.

Cons

The training opportunities were ok - they offered me first aid training, customer service training etc. However, there was one particular departmental manager who should not of been working there - she was rude to the point that I left soley because of her. The rest of the team were fab.

Continue to listen to your staff. Consider loosing some of your departmental managers who have come too big for their boots - the company could do a lot better without some of them!

Not bad, but definitely needs improvement

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Staines, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Staines, England (UK)

I have been working at Debenhams part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hours are good when studying. Also the under 18 discount is very good at 25% although this drops to 20% when you are over 18 which I think is unfair. Good working environment, and if you like a particular area, most managers and supervisors will tailor their team to work around that in my store.

Cons

Awful pay in comparison to competition.
    Lack of communication on offers, so you are often being told the offers by customers!
    Unfair promotions to 'quieter' departments and rare promotions to the major departments - Worked for a year and a half as a Sales Advisor on Menswear and constantly told I was good enough to be promoted but was unable due to my department needs. Whereas quieter departments gave huge promotions to employees who knew less than me, and I was constantly telling them that they weren't doing things correctly.
    Account card being forced to staff to sell when we felt in was unethical in some occasions

Rates of pay need to be improved to match competition. A lot of employees transfer to competition due to superior pay for the same/less responsibility in their job.
    Improve employee benefits and reward staff more often. I don't feel I get much recognition as the customer feedback form doesn't always make it obvious where they can write about specific staff.
    Respond to staff feedback reports!! I've never heard a response from the annual survey posted in my store.

Enjoyable

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Tralee (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Tralee (Ireland)

I worked at Debenhams as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good training in place, good attitude towards customers, welcoming towards new staff, good employee discounts.

Cons

Can get lost in such a large organisation, some managers unable to efficiently with the busy periods.

More training to prepare for Christmas period.

Debenhams Photos