Debenhams Reviews

Updated April 15, 2015
170 reviews filtered by
2.3
Michael Sharp

Pros
  • 20% staff discount is handy, along with extra discount in the run up to Christmas (in 23 reviews)

• Debenhams has some very good staff working for them (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I may not be on the till at all times pushing people but I made sure the shop floor was tidy etc (in 9 reviews)

• no support, minimum wage, management never mix wilth staff or listen to them (in 8 reviews)

1. Good experience

I worked at Debenhams part-time

Pros

Culture and team and great work culture

Cons

ideas to fruition,sometimes management wants things to be done their way

Advice to Management

Management has to be proactive and not to stick to the pre determined goals

2. Senior Sales Advisor

I have been working at Debenhams part-time

Pros

The people are very friendly and easy to get along with. A lot of new product to deal with and events so there is always something new going on.

Cons

MasterCard targets can be pressurising some days when its really quite.

Advice to Management

More support and empathy when targets aren't met.

3. Not pleasant

Current Employee - Sales Adviser in Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Adviser in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I have been working at Debenhams

Pros

The tasks are simple
    There's freedom in the workplace
    20% discount
    Friendly Staff

Cons

Pay is not much
    Bad shifts
    Boring work life
    Repetitive tasks
    Training isn't very good so you are left to figure out most thing
    Useless management
    Too much pressure to open store accounts

5. Don't do it! Been there 4 and a half years and no one enjoys working there.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Advisor
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Advisor

I have been working at Debenhams full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the only pro is the staff, we all have the same thing in common, we don't like our job.

Cons

everything! Too much stress on employees to get customers to open store cards, to the point were we are getting letters threatening to fire us if we don't get people to open them. How can we force people to open credit cards when they don't want to!
    Also it's very very hard to be promoted!
    They always know who the want for internal jobs but still advertise them.

Advice to Management

Stop being awful managers.

6. 2nd line Support

I have been working at Debenhams

Pros

I have improved my interpersonal skills, gaining lots of new concepts and enjoyed the team work being able to support clients and staff in different platforms.

Cons

I'm looking for stable contracts more than the short term contracts I've been getting for the last few months.

Advice to Management

Communication between all departments is vital for a good understanding of the tasks that are being developed.

7. Just for Christmas

Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant
    Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant

I worked at Debenhams

Pros

Good opportunities for training, close-knit teams, regular shifts, staff are given a decent amount of responsibility and not always watched like a hawk or dictated to.

Cons

Competition between departments makes it hard to ask for help outside of your assigned department; If you work for the morning team, the evening team can completely undo/redo your day's work and vice-versa (for example, displays).

Advice to Management

More communication between staff needed, especially those working different shifts to each other on what's been done during the day. Less competition and antagonism between departments should be a goal always - Account sales especially; childrenswear for example cannot be expected to sell many accounts. Actually, scrap accounts entirely. They're misleading, and you're literally making your staff complicit in families' debt and financial problems.

8. Good place to start a career in fashion.

Former Employee - Assistant Merchandiser in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Merchandiser in London, England (UK)

I worked at Debenhams full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good training opportunities, effective IT systems, ability to move across divisions to build a range of experience, lots of product interaction, new office, great people and social work environment, perks such as staff discount and sample sales.

Cons

Slow to be promoted and decent salary increases only given to those who threaten to leave or are hired externally.

Advice to Management

Place more value on current employees, by being fairer with compensation and incentives.

9. Poor management

Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Debenhams full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A company with such a great USP with a stable of designers exclusive to them. Handful of management who aren't playing political games. Store culture is strong and family like.

Cons

Lack of progression, being instructed by people who have no real clue as to what they're doing, and rely on people below them to carry the stores.

Advice to Management

Nurture the talent and make them feel appreciated, do not use them to progress your own career at the expense of theirs.

10. Lovely colleagues, bad management

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Colchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Colchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Debenhams

Pros

You'll meet some great friends and will feel confident working in retail. Some of the supervisors are great and make you feel appreciated.

Cons

Everything you do all comes down to selling account. You will be hassled and pressures to get accounts and if you don't you will have a recorded 'chat' with your manager exploring why you haven't been doing so well. Although some managers are okay others will make you feel awful for not getting any- it is all you think about. Your other work will not be appreciated if you don't get accounts and they don't really treat you like human beings
    beings.

Advice to Management

Make staff feel appreciated for things other than how many accounts you get. Don't patronise part time staff. Any changes to shift rotas should be done 4 weeks in advance.

Debenhams will become your life....

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Dudley, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Dudley, England (UK)

I have been working at Debenhams

Pros

Friendly colleagues- in my experience most of my colleagues have been the warmest, most caring women I have ever had the pleasure of meeting

Cons

No opportunity for full time contracts, have to rely on overtime, notice of hours ( sometimes haven't been given monthly rota's till a few days in advance), no fluidity in shifts ( shift pattern changes from week to week), management have little respect for employees, hard work and dedication goes unappreciated, expected to change shifts will little notice, lack of communication between senior staff, too much focus on opening accounts over actual customer service

Debenhams Photos