Decathlon Reviews

Updated March 20, 2015
108 reviews filtered by
3.4
Michel Abalea

Pros
  • de faire valoir ses envies et ses droits gr (in 2 reviews)

• Good atmosphere, nice co worker, was good to work in the sport industry (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • obtenir un avancement pour les salari (in 3 reviews)

• si tout le monde continu dans le bon sens (in 2 reviews)

1. To supervise the prodcut flow. make the order decision

Current Employee - Supply Chain Production Leader in China, ME
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Production Leader in China, ME

I have been working at Decathlon

Pros

good company culture, good training programe, have the chance to learn more things

Cons

low salary
    too much workload

improve the salary we got

2. Its a fabulous company with lots of growth opportunities.

Current Employee - Retail Supply Chain Manager in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Retail Supply Chain Manager in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Decathlon

Pros

Ability to take decisions and be autonomous.

Cons

Salary can be made better

Open more stores and invest in some marketing.

3. Not bad, but the experience u get here , may not help you too much if u get out of this company .

Current Employee - Technical Production Leader in Guangzhou, Guangdong (China)
    Current Employee - Technical Production Leader in Guangzhou, Guangdong (China)

I have been working at Decathlon full-time (less than a year)

Pros

ok salary , nice training

Cons

not sure . i guess i didn't really enjoy this job

5. Relaxing and laid-back work environment

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Decathlon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is pretty chilled. Very informal and laid-back ambiance. The hierarchy is not very strict; CEO doesn't even have his own office but a single desk in a open office. A lot of team outings and sportive activities. Less office politics with more young people.

Cons

Very unorganized; different functions and departments or teams have their own procedures which heavily depend on the manager's style. Remuneration is not competitive. Collaborations amongst departments are difficult to realize as everyone has their own way of doing things. Kinda fragmented.

6. A fantastic experience

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at Decathlon part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Decathlon part time for 7 months and I have to say I thoroughly enjoy it. It is great to work with like minded sports people who have welcomed me completely. I had no retail experience when I started but I've got there now. It's a company that gets under your skin (in a good way!) and after my previous career is a welcome change. To be able to advise customers on a sport I am passionate about is fantastic. I have no management aspirations but this is not a problem as I am still able to make decisions that can influence sales and stock etc in my department. It's also good to have some responsibilities and challenges and the job is what you make it. The best part has to be the people with some great examples of teamwork and support. There are some great opportunities you just have to go for them!

Cons

For me none really

7. Very pleased with it...

Current Employee - Receptionist in Northampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Northampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Decathlon part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I think one of the most important reasons to work within our company is the opportunity and freedom that Decathlon definitely gives to its employees. It is all about you and your aspiration. Decathlon can only help you to achieve what you couldn't reach with your previous employers.

Cons

Personal growth and development
    Meeting people from all over the world
    Infinite amount of information - you will never think that you achieved everything - there is always something to explore
    Abroad training
    and many more..

8. Its a Mixed journey

I have been working at Decathlon

Pros

Flat Hierarchy .. Good company to start your career... Autonomy and decision making are given to all the employees.. Great exposure ...

Cons

Change !! change !! change!! every 2 months there will be some change - so i find no stability in work. Most of the management decisions are biased !

Recognize people with Merit

Decathlon UK

Current Contractor - Department Manager
    Current Contractor - Department Manager

I have been working at Decathlon as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

- Good learning environment
    - Autonomous role
    - Flexible working hours

Cons

- Bad communication, tools required to meet performance targets are mostly unobtainable.

- Progression based on management relationships rather than performance or ability.

- High expectancy from new recruits with little to no training.

- Uncompetitive salary.

- Lack of roles created for required positions: Dept. Manager title requires one to have responsibilities far beyond the intended role.

Provide current employees with the tools required to work efficiently. Or alternatively expect less of what can be achieved with the current provision.

'Graduate job' with great responsibility but no work life balance and lack of progression opportunities.

Current Employee - Retail Department Manager in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Retail Department Manager in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Decathlon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Lots of responsibility very early on in your career. Fantastic stepping stone to move on to better companies and further opportunities.

-Some good working relationships harboured more out of dealing with adversity.

-Some very good store sports advisors that are enjoyable to work with.

-Ability to recruit and develop own team .

-Ability to make decisions that heavily influence the performance of the store and department.

-Work with a great variety of sports products.

Cons

-No Development plan , the 'graduate scheme' is not in any way a graduate scheme as there is no plan in place for you. This is simply a graduate job.

-You never hear about promotional opportunities until the positions are given away, it is not a meritocracy and instead is about who you know rather than what you know. Align this to the fact that only 2-3 Assistant store managers become available every year promotional opportunities becoming very sparse.

-It is a very disorganised company with very bad communication, you will find you are constantly solving the problems created by the people in head office and not communicated.

- The new price drop system has resulted in more pressure being put on staff and management to deal with more quantities and to be more productive. So there is a heavy reliance on managers to do everything on their departments; this means stocking shelves, tidying hundreds of thousands of products constantly and completing daily tasks. This leaves very little time to complete the jobs we are hired for such as merchandising, recruitment , staff development and overall commercial functionality.

-The bonus scheme is very often unattainable.

-The staff discount is low at 20% and only on products at full price.

-Pay is very poor in relation to the responsibility that you hold. I have managed multi million pound departments to growth and in three years have had no pay increase above the £18000 basic starting salary.

-Work life balance is non existent and working Saturdays is compulsory. You must work 45+ hours a week minimum. They say they want active sporty people then give you no time to be active and sporty.

There must be greater communication and a proper graduate scheme that includes graduate level training and a pre designed path tailored for each individual. Pay must be assessed and people valued. If you advertise your company as a having a team of sporting enthusiasts you must find a way to allow them to continue with their passions, for me we are a team of ex enthusiasts.

It's All or Nothing

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Decathlon

Pros

Staff are usually very friendly and good working relationships can be made. If you 'fit the bill' and live, eat, breathe and swear by the company, and vow to be there forever, you could, possibly, 'make it'. Good flexibility with rotas. Good bonuses.

Cons

Inexperienced higher management who lack people management skills and the ability to motivate. Poor training and little desire from the company to put time and effort into people. Poor and unclear strategy and regulations regarding customer satisfaction.

Put more effort into people, and they may be happy to put more in for you.

Decathlon Response

Feb 18, 2015Recruitment officer

Hi there,

Thank you for the review.

We see you are a current Decathlete - please come and give us you feedback - we are keen to explore your pros & cons a bit more.

Anne & Sarah