Dechert

Be The First To
Add Photos

Daniel O’Donnell

Corporate Finance Internship

Collections Analyst (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Dechert as an intern for less than a year

ProsI worked with the collections and billing departments mostly, good crowd. Cafeteria was above average. I've heard the pay is generous for actual employees. Christmas party was awesome. Had the opportunity to work on other things besides what was in my job description.

ConsBoring work generally, they had trouble keeping people in lower level positions. That's about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMix up the work days a bit more. The office was usually pretty silent, and it was hard to stay awake with such a boring atmosphere.

Don't bother

Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Dechert full-time for less than a year

ProsFree snacks on Fridays and convenient location

ConsHr didn't like my suggestions and was considered a threat lol Underpaid and really unprofessional managers and supervisors. Glad I got the hell out of there.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Impressive history, good pay, benefits strong: staff review only

Litigation Secretary (Former Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Dechert as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGood pay, solid employer history, strong reputation, benefits and nice little perks (expresso machine, pickup of dry cleaning, car wash, etc), things that make your life that much easier and less stress... especially, if you're in litigation.

ConsReview from 2003 temp/full time and back again 2010. Staff-sided only review: Nepotism run wild. Overspending on extra employees. At time of employment, too many chiefs and plenty of indians bumping into each other. Too many cat fights and some "just not willing to go the extra mile", consistently handing off responsibilities but attorneys not knowing where their project went. Great improvements since 2003 but staff really needs more training in technology. Secretaries are not just typist anymore..

Advice to Senior ManagementSimply provide after work training of interested employees who want to learn more about technology, keep secretaries in the loop of current cases, ask your staff about certain clients (clients act differently when they're not "on the clock", have a half-day staff retreat - not to discuss compensation but ask for their input on efficiency, etc. I have applied those ideas in a start up law firm and it has been working out great.

Current Employee ("Regretably")

Oh No for Reasons Stipulated (See Below) (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dechert full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBarton Winoker is no longer with the firm. He's part of the old management regime.

It appears that the firm is making what appears to be an effort, to fix what's not working and eliminate what is left of the old regime is that not a "good fit". However, changes are moving at a snail's speed.

ConsFor the support staff, mentoring, leadership and guidance are lacking. Especially if you're reporting to a management regime that is harsh, very unfair and would engineer systematic ways to tarnish the employee's personnel file with bogus documentation, as an arm-twisting tactic to rid the employee voluntary or involuntary.

There is fear of retaliation, to bring forth any concerns to H.R.. An "open-door policy" is non-existent. Therefore, the employee has no recourse or a platform to state their case. Moreover, there is no due diligence conducted by H.R, especially when a pattern of behavior, retaining employees is prevalent.

HINT: The common denominator is lower/middle management and not the employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementAny residue that is left from the "old regime" with a "Manager" title, who has the audacity to work a cushy "part-time/3-day/20 hour week" should be given an ultimatum: Expect to work a full-time 40-70 week and be readily available around the clock, OR..............

:).

Just a tidbit: The "big guy" left the building, moved on, leaving you behind to fend for yourself. You know who you are.

Great firm with good lawyers.

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dechert full-time

ProsGain lots of experience working directly with lawyers. 35 hour work weeks for non-exempt staff.

ConsLong hours, at times. currently transitioning upper level administrative management.

Paranoid work environment, highly political

Computer Support (Former Employee)

I worked at Dechert as a contractor for more than a year

ProsOK compensation. Some very bright colleagues. Very nice facilities with excellent cafeteria. Free pastries on Friday afternoons are a nice perk.

ConsToo often staff is scapegoated when something goes wrong. End users have unrealistic expectations and can be abusive. Staff can be fired on the flimsiest of premises.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up for your people.

Great place to work as a lawyer.

I have been working at Dechert

ProsGood hours. Good management. Good prestige.

ConsBad hours. Bad communication and too much heiarchy.

I have been working at Dechert

ProsHiring Manager was pleasant and honest with her experience. Very open and good personality.

ConsHuman Resource Contact was unprofessional advised of salary and tried to state under the minimum I indicated. Wasting potential employees time with interviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvise human resources to only contact candidates if they are willing to pay the minimum salary indicated on application

One of the worst places to work

Attorney, 2nd-Year (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Dechert full-time for more than a year

ProsThere were no pros to my former job at this law firm.

ConsThe management in New York is horrendous and they do not protect their employees. This law firm is more worried about profit than anything else. They do not care for their employees and I would never recommend this place to anyone.

Staffing

Paralegal (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Dechert full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat private office space; nice people; quiet; convenient cafeteria

ConsExtended salary/bonus freeze not mentioned at time of hire and bizarre bonus calculation methodology; not enough support staff

Advice to Senior ManagementBe up front during interviews as to the firm's policies and procedures - even the negative ones.

Worked for Dechert? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dechert reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dechert CEO Daniel O’Donnell. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Dechert employees.