Dechert Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014
2.6

Daniel O’Donnell

Good training overall, but not too many mentors.

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Dechert for more than 8 years

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Good overall exposure to complex areas of law. Nice offices. Very good resources (like training, library support, etc.). Great cafeteria on site. Good support staff (paralegals, secretaries), although they were usually supporting at least 6 people, so did not have a lot of time.

Cons

Very poor morale among associates while I was there. Very little transparency from management. Bias against women. Not too many of the partners where interested in mentoring associates. There was a general feeling of job insecurity the entire time I was there.

Terrible Work Life Balance, Many people are miserable, little is being done to make it a better work environment.

Former Employee - Video Conference Engineer  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Video Conference Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Dechert full-time for less than a year

Pros

Compensation was acceptable, benefits were expensive but comprehensive and perks were nice. Health benefits were considerably expensive for a family. Great for single individual. Plenty of days off, but most people have a lot of days because they don't have time to use them you are so busy.

Cons

Terrible work life balance, elitist corporate culture. I was not happy with my compensation, but most people are happy with theirs, great pay is possible there. If you are not an attorney, be prepared to be treated as a second class citizen.

Treat employees fairly, do not create an environment where good is not acceptable and great barely makes the cut, reward people for hard work instead of constantly telling them to do more.

Corporate Finance Internship

Former Employee - Collections Analyst  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Collections Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Dechert as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I worked with the collections and billing departments mostly, good crowd. Cafeteria was above average. I've heard the pay is generous for actual employees. Christmas party was awesome. Had the opportunity to work on other things besides what was in my job description.

Cons

Boring work generally, they had trouble keeping people in lower level positions. That's about it.

Mix up the work days a bit more. The office was usually pretty silent, and it was hard to stay awake with such a boring atmosphere.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't bother

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Dechert full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free snacks on Fridays and convenient location

Cons

Hr didn't like my suggestions and was considered a threat lol Underpaid and really unprofessional managers and supervisors. Glad I got the hell out of there.

Impressive history, good pay, benefits strong: staff review only

Former Employee - Litigation Secretary  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Litigation Secretary in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Dechert as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, solid employer history, strong reputation, benefits and nice little perks (expresso machine, pickup of dry cleaning, car wash, etc), things that make your life that much easier and less stress... especially, if you're in litigation.

Cons

Review from 2003 temp/full time and back again 2010. Staff-sided only review: Nepotism run wild. Overspending on extra employees. At time of employment, too many chiefs and plenty of indians bumping into each other. Too many cat fights and some "just not willing to go the extra mile", consistently handing off responsibilities but attorneys not knowing where their project went. Great improvements since 2003 but staff really needs more training in technology. Secretaries are not just typist anymore..

Simply provide after work training of interested employees who want to learn more about technology, keep secretaries in the loop of current cases, ask your staff about certain clients (clients act differently when they're not "on the clock", have a half-day staff retreat - not to discuss compensation but ask for their input on efficiency, etc. I have applied those ideas in a start up law firm and it has been working out great.

Current Employee ("Regretably")

Current Employee - Oh No for Reasons Stipulated (See Below)  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Oh No for Reasons Stipulated (See Below) in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Dechert full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Barton Winoker is no longer with the firm. He's part of the old management regime.

It appears that the firm is making what appears to be an effort, to fix what's not working and eliminate what is left of the old regime is that not a "good fit". However, changes are moving at a snail's speed.

Cons

For the support staff, mentoring, leadership and guidance are lacking. Especially if you're reporting to a management regime that is harsh, very unfair and would engineer systematic ways to tarnish the employee's personnel file with bogus documentation, as an arm-twisting tactic to rid the employee voluntary or involuntary.

There is fear of retaliation, to bring forth any concerns to H.R.. An "open-door policy" is non-existent. Therefore, the employee has no recourse or a platform to state their case. Moreover, there is no due diligence conducted by H.R, especially when a pattern of behavior, retaining employees is prevalent.

HINT: The common denominator is lower/middle management and not the employee.

Any residue that is left from the "old regime" with a "Manager" title, who has the audacity to work a cushy "part-time/3-day/20 hour week" should be given an ultimatum: Expect to work a full-time 40-70 week and be readily available around the clock, OR..............

:).

Just a tidbit: The "big guy" left the building, moved on, leaving you behind to fend for yourself. You know who you are.

Paranoid work environment, highly political

Former Employee - Computer Support  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Computer Support in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Dechert as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

OK compensation. Some very bright colleagues. Very nice facilities with excellent cafeteria. Free pastries on Friday afternoons are a nice perk.

Cons

Too often staff is scapegoated when something goes wrong. End users have unrealistic expectations and can be abusive. Staff can be fired on the flimsiest of premises.

Stand up for your people.

Great firm with good lawyers.

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Dechert full-time

Pros

Gain lots of experience working directly with lawyers. 35 hour work weeks for non-exempt staff.

Cons

Long hours, at times. currently transitioning upper level administrative management.

Great place to work as a lawyer.

I have been working at Dechert

Pros

Good hours. Good management. Good prestige.

Cons

Bad hours. Bad communication and too much heiarchy.

I have been working at Dechert

Pros

Hiring Manager was pleasant and honest with her experience. Very open and good personality.

Cons

Human Resource Contact was unprofessional advised of salary and tried to state under the minimum I indicated. Wasting potential employees time with interviews.

Advise human resources to only contact candidates if they are willing to pay the minimum salary indicated on application

Worked for Dechert? Contribute to the Community!