Dechert Reviews

3.3
Daniel O’Donnell

1. Associate

I have been working at Dechert

Pros

Generally congenial, respectful attitude among the partnership, woman-friendly

Cons

Not very diverse group of people

2. Ok place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Dechert full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and teams, some opportunity for career progression.

Cons

Comp. and bonuses for non-attorneys are not at market level and they don't care about keeping talent.

3. partner

Current Employee - Partner in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Partner in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Dechert

Pros

great people, transparent process, collegial

Cons

unpredictable hours, typical of industry

5. Staff review

I have been working at Dechert

Pros

Great firm to work for! Great support and multiple opportunity to learn.
    Give staff members a chance for a promotion
    Great customer / attorney service

Cons

Compensation for staff can be more competitive to prevent high staff turnover
    Seem to keep adding additional responsibility without the compensation for doing so.
    Like any Law Firm the staff seems to be all replaceable.
    Very limited opportunity to advance and be promoted

Advice to Management

Compensation for staff can be more competitive to prevent high staff turnover

Overall a good place to work as they have some truly excellent people working there.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Dechert full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent IT support. Really good Paralegals. Fantastic lawyers. Nice staff. Comfortable physical offices. Computers have been upgraded along with the network backbone and remote access.

Cons

Mixed quality of HR staff - some are dedicated and caring while others treats staff as commodities. There has been a lot of management changes, many new top level C suite executives with real attempts at transparency but they mostly lacked follow through.

Advice to Management

Too many management changes. Over three years had five different managers. Little sense of understanding the history and development of reasoning behind decision making.

Good place to start out of college. Staff under appreciated and replacable

Current Employee - Billing in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Billing in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Dechert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to gain experience in comptrollers dept. Good management that doesn't hover over your head while at work. Certain perks like Friday snacks and semi monthly lunches and softball team.

Cons

Staff is very under appreciated. No room to move up and grow with the company if you are not a CPA or lawyer. High staff turnover consistency training new staff members as the pay is lower than all of Dechert's competition. HR refuses to pay the staff which results in loosing very talented colleagues. HR is biased when hiring and will not promote or hire for certain positions without a CPA. Overtime is very discouraged and the extra work falls on the management which get paid salary. Management work life balance is very low. High turnover. Overseas business can be tough to deal with as they do not seem to follow the same protocols as rest of the firm. Also my ideas and contributions go unnoticed even when I dave the company tens of thousands of dollars. I am also completed work and assisting with projects which are well above what I get compensated for. I assist high compensated collegues in the comptrollers department however I do not get compensated for the higher and more difficult work I complete.

Advice to Management

Please help the support staff to stay working at Dechert. The pay is minimal and certain bonuses would be very appreciated expecially for Christmas during the year end work life balance is negative as staff is rushed to complete all billing and collections for year end. Yearly reviews are a joke and the firm will only pay minimal raises to account for inflation. Please pay attention to all staff departments as project management and finance teams are highly values compare to the billing team. Certain projects and contributions to unnoticed and upper management only notices if you make mistakes. Need room for encouragement. There is also a sense that there are absolutely NO CONSQUENCES for the lawyers who don't follow protocol and this needs to be corrected. Also need to fix the problems that occur when partners leave or retire as the company takes a bit hit on all the open work left behind.

8. excellent

Current Employee - Junior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Junior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dechert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good management, good facilities and interesting salary

Cons

lots of hours, stress, lots of expectations

Associate

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Dechert full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Practice group leaders are very smart, almost all are leading lawyers in the field. Compensation is high compared to other big law firms in Philadelphia. Nice modern offices.

Cons

Mentorship is lacking, and your entire experience is based on who you work for when you first join the firm. Very little effort or focus on retention of good associates.

Terrible Work Life Balance, Many people are miserable, little is being done to make it a better work environment.

Former Employee - Video Conference Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Video Conference Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Dechert full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation was acceptable, benefits were expensive but comprehensive and perks were nice. Health benefits were considerably expensive for a family. Great for single individual. Plenty of days off, but most people have a lot of days because they don't have time to use them you are so busy.

Cons

Terrible work life balance, elitist corporate culture. I was not happy with my compensation, but most people are happy with theirs, great pay is possible there. If you are not an attorney, be prepared to be treated as a second class citizen.

Advice to Management

Treat employees fairly, do not create an environment where good is not acceptable and great barely makes the cut, reward people for hard work instead of constantly telling them to do more.

11. Good training overall, but not too many mentors.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Dechert (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Good overall exposure to complex areas of law. Nice offices. Very good resources (like training, library support, etc.). Great cafeteria on site. Good support staff (paralegals, secretaries), although they were usually supporting at least 6 people, so did not have a lot of time.

Cons

Very poor morale among associates while I was there. Very little transparency from management. Bias against women. Not too many of the partners where interested in mentoring associates. There was a general feeling of job insecurity the entire time I was there.

RSS Feed </> Embed