Dechert

Updated November 23, 2014
Updated November 23, 2014
2.8

Daniel O’Donnell

Good place to start out of college. Staff under appreciated and replacable

Current Employee - Billing in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Billing in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Dechert full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to gain experience in comptrollers dept. Good management that doesn't hover over your head while at work. Certain perks like Friday snacks and semi monthly lunches and softball team.

Cons

Staff is very under appreciated. No room to move up and grow with the company if you are not a CPA or lawyer. High staff turnover consistency training new staff members as the pay is lower than all of Dechert's competition. HR refuses to pay the staff which results in loosing very talented colleagues. HR is biased when hiring and will not promote or hire for certain positions without a CPA. Overtime is very discouraged and the extra work falls on the management which get paid salary. Management work life balance is very low. High turnover. Overseas business can be tough to deal with as they do not seem to follow the same protocols as rest of the firm. Also my ideas and contributions go unnoticed even when I dave the company tens of thousands of dollars. I am also completed work and assisting with projects which are well above what I get compensated for. I assist high compensated collegues in the comptrollers department however I do not get compensated for the higher and more difficult work I complete.

Please help the support staff to stay working at Dechert. The pay is minimal and certain bonuses would be very appreciated expecially for Christmas during the year end work life balance is negative as staff is rushed to complete all billing and collections for year end. Yearly reviews are a joke and the firm will only pay minimal raises to account for inflation. Please pay attention to all staff departments as project management and finance teams are highly values compare to the billing team. Certain projects and contributions to unnoticed and upper management only notices if you make mistakes. Need room for encouragement. There is also a sense that there are absolutely NO CONSQUENCES for the lawyers who don't follow protocol and this needs to be corrected. Also need to fix the problems that occur when partners leave or retire as the company takes a bit hit on all the open work left behind.

Associate

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Dechert full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Practice group leaders are very smart, almost all are leading lawyers in the field. Compensation is high compared to other big law firms in Philadelphia. Nice modern offices.

Cons

Mentorship is lacking, and your entire experience is based on who you work for when you first join the firm. Very little effort or focus on retention of good associates.

excellent

Current Employee - Junior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Junior Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dechert full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good management, good facilities and interesting salary

Cons

lots of hours, stress, lots of expectations

Terrible Work Life Balance, Many people are miserable, little is being done to make it a better work environment.

Former Employee - Video Conference Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Video Conference Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Dechert full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation was acceptable, benefits were expensive but comprehensive and perks were nice. Health benefits were considerably expensive for a family. Great for single individual. Plenty of days off, but most people have a lot of days because they don't have time to use them you are so busy.

Cons

Terrible work life balance, elitist corporate culture. I was not happy with my compensation, but most people are happy with theirs, great pay is possible there. If you are not an attorney, be prepared to be treated as a second class citizen.

Treat employees fairly, do not create an environment where good is not acceptable and great barely makes the cut, reward people for hard work instead of constantly telling them to do more.

Good training overall, but not too many mentors.

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Dechert (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Good overall exposure to complex areas of law. Nice offices. Very good resources (like training, library support, etc.). Great cafeteria on site. Good support staff (paralegals, secretaries), although they were usually supporting at least 6 people, so did not have a lot of time.

Cons

Very poor morale among associates while I was there. Very little transparency from management. Bias against women. Not too many of the partners where interested in mentoring associates. There was a general feeling of job insecurity the entire time I was there.

Corporate Finance Internship

Former Employee - Collections Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Collections Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Dechert as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I worked with the collections and billing departments mostly, good crowd. Cafeteria was above average. I've heard the pay is generous for actual employees. Christmas party was awesome. Had the opportunity to work on other things besides what was in my job description.

Cons

Boring work generally, they had trouble keeping people in lower level positions. That's about it.

Mix up the work days a bit more. The office was usually pretty silent, and it was hard to stay awake with such a boring atmosphere.

Don't bother

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Dechert full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free snacks on Fridays and convenient location

Cons

Hr didn't like my suggestions and was considered a threat lol Underpaid and really unprofessional managers and supervisors. Glad I got the hell out of there.

Impressive history, good pay, benefits strong: staff review only

Former Employee - Litigation Secretary in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Litigation Secretary in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Dechert as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay, solid employer history, strong reputation, benefits and nice little perks (expresso machine, pickup of dry cleaning, car wash, etc), things that make your life that much easier and less stress... especially, if you're in litigation.

Cons

Review from 2003 temp/full time and back again 2010. Staff-sided only review: Nepotism run wild. Overspending on extra employees. At time of employment, too many chiefs and plenty of indians bumping into each other. Too many cat fights and some "just not willing to go the extra mile", consistently handing off responsibilities but attorneys not knowing where their project went. Great improvements since 2003 but staff really needs more training in technology. Secretaries are not just typist anymore..

Simply provide after work training of interested employees who want to learn more about technology, keep secretaries in the loop of current cases, ask your staff about certain clients (clients act differently when they're not "on the clock", have a half-day staff retreat - not to discuss compensation but ask for their input on efficiency, etc. I have applied those ideas in a start up law firm and it has been working out great.

Current Employee ("Regretably")

Current Employee - Oh No for Reasons Stipulated (See Below) in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Oh No for Reasons Stipulated (See Below) in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Dechert full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Barton Winoker is no longer with the firm. He's part of the old management regime.

It appears that the firm is making what appears to be an effort, to fix what's not working and eliminate what is left of the old regime is that not a "good fit". However, changes are moving at a snail's speed.

Cons

For the support staff, mentoring, leadership and guidance are lacking. Especially if you're reporting to a management regime that is harsh, very unfair and would engineer systematic ways to tarnish the employee's personnel file with bogus documentation, as an arm-twisting tactic to rid the employee voluntary or involuntary.

There is fear of retaliation, to bring forth any concerns to H.R.. An "open-door policy" is non-existent. Therefore, the employee has no recourse or a platform to state their case. Moreover, there is no due diligence conducted by H.R, especially when a pattern of behavior, retaining employees is prevalent.

HINT: The common denominator is lower/middle management and not the employee.

Any residue that is left from the "old regime" with a "Manager" title, who has the audacity to work a cushy "part-time/3-day/20 hour week" should be given an ultimatum: Expect to work a full-time 40-70 week and be readily available around the clock, OR..............

:).

Just a tidbit: The "big guy" left the building, moved on, leaving you behind to fend for yourself. You know who you are.

Paranoid work environment, highly political

Former Employee - Computer Support in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Computer Support in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Dechert as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

OK compensation. Some very bright colleagues. Very nice facilities with excellent cafeteria. Free pastries on Friday afternoons are a nice perk.

Cons

Too often staff is scapegoated when something goes wrong. End users have unrealistic expectations and can be abusive. Staff can be fired on the flimsiest of premises.

Stand up for your people.