Decision Resources Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Decision Resources Group CEO Jim Lang

Jim Lang

Where companies like Google go for answers

Vice President (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsDRG has the most intelligence housed in the minds and hearts of the analysts. it is a pleasure to run the sales and marketing organization as we have great products and people power to offer our clients. the new senior team was hand picked for having the right style and competency to complete the organization

ConsDRG moves fast, and the pace sometimes is a bit much. as we restructure every group to meet the changing demand of our customers the rate of change can be unsettling.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the faith as we are the company to watch for the future state of how things should be run

Okay place to work- good to begin a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTraining, growth, the company has a lot of syndicated resources that help with client projects. Overall growth plan seems really really ambitious for a short time frame of 5 years.

ConsToo much change and not enough transparency between offices. Burlington is headquarters. If you're interviewing here..research the individual companies before accepting an offer. Decision Resources is made up of smaller companies (abacus international (UK), Healthleaders interstudy (TN), pharmastrat (PA/NJ) manhattan research (NY), relay technologies, etc) and company culture varies by office/location. Each company also does different types of work. Consulting is based in MA, PA/NJ and the UK and management varies in each location... do your research by searching each company so you know if you're being lied to/what to expect. Limited ability to transition between roles across different offices... can only be promoted if senior managers like you personally. Pay is way below market for consulting. Long hours expected in consulting.

Advice to Senior Managementtransparency, be watchful of the senior leadership you have in each location to ensure they are spreading the word down the ladder. Don't lie to recruit talent.

Lack of leadership

ProsThe people are really what makes the company. The people at DR are extremely smart and are great to work with and learn from and there is a team-oriented atmosphere.
    Flexible with working from home and work hours in general.
    Many people move to the client side at pharma companies after DR, so it is a good place to get experience for that if that is your ultimate goal.

ConsUpper management is completely out of touch. They set unattainable goals for the business, which sets them up for failure (and ultimately means your bonus is going to be pitiful).
    There is no communication of what is going on in the company.
    Resources are very stretched and many people are overworked because, as people leave, those positions are not always backfilled.
    Everything is based on sales doing well but sales does not have it together and doesn't look to be turning it around anytime soon.
    In the 3 years that I have been there, there have been at least 4 reorganizations. Change is constant and often not well thought out.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour people are what makes you great. Tell your employees what is going on. Notice when they are unhappy and take steps to fix it. Fix the sales department and the pricing of products. Focus on doing a few things well instead of trying to fix everything at once and accomplishing nothing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

awesome fast paced technology and information company

Vice President, Consulting (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

Prosempowerment, strong leadership and deals with their problems. job content is rich and will allow you to have great ideas and implement them.

Conssmall and sometimes complex for its size. legal gets in the way. many steps to get simple things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementJim Lang is the reason most of us are here and lets hope he does not change.

Great company, new exciting direction

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsStrong emphasis on excellence and bringing real value to its clients. Company has new CEO (Jim Lang), new management team. All seem excellent. Overdue investment coming back in the company after 10 years of private equity underinvestment. Friendly, collegial culture.

ConsFormal training needs much improvement. Pay, although improving, needs clearer benchmarks.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful with the amount of change. We can only change so fast. Improve opportunities to work around the globe.

Good collegial company culture currently undergoing significant changes because of changes in leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsReally amazing, intelligent co-workers who are extremely generous with their time and energy. Fairly decent work-life balance, and adequate salary that is going to be increasing with the new leadership

ConsCurrently pays below market value, but that is offset by the decent work-life balance. It will be interesting to see how the work-life balance gets impacted by the salary increases - presumably, work-life balance will become worse in order to justify salary raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are doing a lot during this time of transition - keep up the open lines of communication and it'll be very interesting to see where the company ends up in a couple of years as we begin to implement merging across the different heritage brands

Used to be a great place to work, I'd avoid it now.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsThe pay is decent. Very flexible with hours and working remotely.

ConsNot many opportunities for career advancement.
    Highly focused on acquiring smaller companies, not enough organic growth.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Top notch people and products

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsThe company provides high quality products and the staff are smart, very knowledgeable about their markets, strongly positive and highly motivated.

ConsAs the company has grown through many acquisitions, they have a lack of corporate focus. Sever groups overlap in areas of expertise and customer service. Too many people cling to legacy views of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMerge all businesses for the sake of your confused customer base

Good foundation, better focus needed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Strong reputation with clients
    - Intelligent, motivated colleagues
    - Flexibility contributes to work-life balance

Cons- Many recent organizational changes contribute to feeling of instability
    - Compensation is solid but unspectacular
    - Career development opportunities can be limited

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a more client-focused long-term strategy and communicate it to employees.

Major challenges ahead for this company

Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsThe company gives a lot of flexibility with work schedule, allowing for people to work from home when needed. It is a good place to connect with people who know a lot about their areas of research.

ConsCompany has been through numerous buyouts and private equity rounds during the past several years. Longtime senior staff has departed recently, including the CEO. Company direction seems unfocused. Employee morale has declined due to all of the organizational strife.

Worked for Decision Resources Group? Contribute to the Community!