DecisionHealth

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Greenberg

A company being reinvented can have swings. Overall a fun group of people and great work-life balance.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

ProsThe atmosphere is casual both in attire and attitudes. There is a sense of team and a while the company is going through a lot of change it feels very positive and optimistic. Open leave policy with vacation and most managers treat you like adults, if you get your work done and they aren't standing over top of you about attendance or other things. Investment from the owners seems to exist with the acquiring of a competitor.
    Fruit cart, bright nice office space, local restaurants, and company outings (Nationals games)

ConsA lot of structural changes, hopefully that will calm down. Communication and planning can be weak sometimes but is improving

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused and not worrying about what other teams are doing. Think and act big picture and share.

No Direction

IT Department (Current Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

ProsThe company as a whole is good to their employees. They offer okay benefits and additional perks, such as summer and themed parties.

ConsThe company does not know which direction it is headed. Leadership is very challenged and is not concerned about the well-being of their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what your employees say; they can make or break you.

Failed to meet expectations.

ProsOverall UCG culture of employee appreciation (ie, free fruit, free breakfast, cheap sodas, casual dress), Open office environment, company-wide quarterly meetings/activities, nice people

ConsA lot of inconsistencies throughout the company, mostly stemming from certain members of the senior team. Very high employee turnover for a 25 year old company--it feels like at least one employee per month has left in the time I have worked here. Not a lot of accountability, and a bad habit of higher members of the staff passing the buck when a problem arises. Not a lot of room to move up in the company unless you want to change departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementCollaborate. It is very hard to successfully execute a project when different members of the senior team are contradicting with each other, or trying to overshadow each other's projects. Lack of coordination also creates extra and unnecessary work for lower level staff members.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great, but not close to me

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI really enjoyed the people. I made a lot of friends that I plan to stay in touch with. The company is growing so there's a lot of opportunity. It can be busy, but I felt like I had control of my workload and could work with others to priority my stuff appropriately.

ConsI live about an hour from the office and the commute was killing me.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think you guys are on the right track.

Great Place to Work

ProsGrowing and adding staff. Fun and energizing evironment.

ConsBenefits could be a bit better, but the open leave program is awesome.

Miserable place to work.

DecisionHealth Employee (Former Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

ProsCasual dress code and open leave, which is grossly abused most by people who don't deserve it. Unlimited coffee and aspirin, which you will need if you decide to work here.

ConsYou will feel overworked, underpaid and unappreciated. Upper management spends all of their time coming up with new product initiatives that will lead to you putting in hours and hours of work, only for them to realize later that their idea was horrible. This means all of your work was for nothing, and now you are behind on the rest of your workload.

In my four years there, there was a constant turnaround of employees. Chances are, if you left and returned six months later, you would barely recognize anyone. This is because so many employees leave before they become completely demoralized.

There is also constant reorganization of departments, which leads to confusion throughout the company and gaps in responsibilities. After someone is "promoted" (more responsibilities, very rarely a pay raise), no one seems to know whose job it is to fulfill the duties of the position left behind. This usually results in those responsibilities being dumped on some poor employee who did NOT receive a "promotion", but still received extra responsibilities and no pay raise.

The morale was horrible. On a typical day, you will see employees moping around looking stressed, exhausted and defeated. If you enjoy your job here, it is because you are upper management and enjoy the fact that other people are killing themselves to make you look good or you are working off commission that actually works in your favor (which is rare).

Advice to Senior ManagementI will not waste my time. Management is not interested in the ideas or opinions of anyone lower than themselves.

Up and Coming

ProsThe company recently completed acquisitions of two companies which has added talent, products, and customers. DecisionHealth is on the upswing; UCG, its parent company, is investing in the business again and I am optimistic about its future, as well as my own here. There is a renewed sense of purpose and everyone appears energized. It's a great place to work.

ConsIf you like bureaucracy, big offices and dressing in suits, then this is not the place for you. There isn't an office in the building. The owners even sit in cubes. It's a laid back evironment and most people wear jeans and t-shirts everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing to share here.

Not a healthy work atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Gaithersburg, MD

Prosfree fruit, quality coffee (starbucks & flavia), flex hours, casual dress code -- note these are benefits provided by UCG, not DecisionHealth

Conshigh turnaround, overworked employees, low salaries, no accountability from senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some sensitivity and accountability training, stop throwing your employees under the bus and stop blaming them for your failed products. Realize that there is a problem when your employees consistently have to work 10-12 hour days to meet unrealistic deadlines. Stop expecting employees to work such long days when they aren't being properly compensated. Just in general... learn to be compassionate and get in touch with your employees.

The most toxic work environment I've ever experienced

ProsUnited Communications Group, the company that owns DecisionHealth, is pretty awesome. Free fruit, casual environment and open leave.

ConsDecisionHealth however, sucks.
    The company has even on the decline for more than a few years and as a result, everyone is overworked, stressed and unappreciated.

The senior team, it seems, exists only to make employees feel inadequate and inferior. Individuals are targeted, scrutinized and micro managed only to be fired after a few months.
    The scrutiny is a result of inadequate leaders grasping at straws, i.e. no one knows how to save the company, so everyone blames everyone, while making unrealistic and overly critical demands that do nothing but bring down the morale.

The company is severely understaffed, which means that just about everyone does the work of two people. And that's at a minimum.

Most people are paid under market value, don't work here unless you want to feel inadequate and/or get fired within a year. The lucky ones just find new jobs.

Oh, they have enacted a fun committee, presumably to boost morale, but I've had more fun at a
    funeral.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek to uplift instead of destroy, it might yield better results.

Worst place I've ever worked

ProsMost of your co-workers are pleasant to be around. Casual dress code. Free fruit. The company does a very good job at marketing its own image.

ConsThe company is currently operating on a shoestring staff with crucial positions routinely left unfilled while current staff struggles to fill in the holes. Sadly, this has become the new business model since 2011.

Poor communication from management to staff. More than ten percent of the staff has left in the last fifteen months. Another ten percent were "asked to resign" under very questionable circumstances. Managers in certain departments will routinely throw their reports under the bus in order to justify their own shortcomings. Work/life balance is terrible. New employees are thrown into the deep end of the pool with no guidance from management. Whether they sink or swim depends largely on luck and circumstance as work is distributed very unevenly.

New initiatives are created on a regular basis without any thought to how they will be executed or how the additional work will affect the current workload.

Extreme workload aside, there is a severe and toxic mentality that originates from senior management. The company has become fragmented and non-communicative. Each department blames the other for any shortcomings. There is a kill-or-be-killed mentality that is a direct result of the disrespectful way the president treats his senior team and the way that senior team treats each other. This trickles down to the rest of the staff. Regular meetings have turned into competitions where individuals feel attacked by the senior team to the point where people have to call meetings to prepare for the regular meetings.

I have never worked in an environment where so many of my co-workers dread coming into work every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has already done a good job of surveying employees to identify where problems are. But, if the entire company has routinely stated that they don't have the resources to do their job and addressing this is still not your number one priority, I don't think any comments here will help.

Worked for DecisionHealth? Contribute to the Community!