Decker Communications

CEO

My 5+ years at Decker

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Decker Communications part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Greatest team of people with whom I've ever worked. Everyone from the admin group on up jumps in and works as a team to ensure successful trainings.
    I have lost track of how many participants have come through Decker trainings and said it was life changing for them. This includes high level execs, doctors, engineers, sales and all levels of managers.
    There has been tremendous growth at Decker in the past five years and that curve still seems to be on an upward swing. This is a culture where high performers thrive.

Cons

Sales people occasionally travel. Trainers do lots of travel, domestic & international, so travel averse people need not apply.

Continue to appreciate and respect your hard working employees.

"Go big or GO HOME?......I chose the latter, since the company doesn't let you grow"

I worked at Decker Communications as a contractor

Pros

The quality of the materials and training is outstanding
    Great office location in downtown SF
    Some managers are easy to deal with (most aren't)
    Good place to learn & then go to another company where they will support you more

Cons

Don't "practice what they preach"
    The President of the Company is a control freak who treats everyone like crap
    The CEO doesn't know how to relate to other employees
    Little creative input in training and coaching - their way or not at all. too rigid, stale and packaged
    Lots of travel with no concern for family or personal obligations or legally allowed time off
    Not very good follow up with customers

treat employees with respect - you'll be amazed how much more productivity and energy you will see
    don't solicit advice and suggestions if you don't plan to implement anything - ever
    provide more leads and opportunity for internal growth and advancement
    lighten up - it's not always about the numbers
    stop micromanaging - you will continue to scare good people and awesome trainers away

Great mission and work culture

I worked at Decker Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decker has a great culture, a lot I take for granted now at my current company. It starts with the top and flows down through management. They foster a close-knit team bond, are approachable, and value EVERY employee.
    They are transparent, authentic, and always professional. It helps to work somewhere that WALKS THE WALK so to speak. Decker is all about transforming communication and encourages their employees to model it in everyday practice. This was my first job out of college and to be offered their world class training course for free just to understand the company better is pretty amazing.
    Conveniently located, positive attitudes, and a snack room that will be your best and worst friend :)

Cons

Being a communications training firm, most employees are extroverted which can be a lot for those who aren't. If you're not open to be more team-oriented and like closed doors this might not be the best fit for you.

As this company grows, it will be exciting and interesting to see the career paths and mentoring practices for junior level employees.

Best decision of my career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Decker Communications full-time

Pros

- Some of the best people I've met and had the privilege to working with
    - There's a lot of potential for growth both personally and for the company
    - Management has a ton of experience in this field and is open to feedback
    - The office culture is great and motivating
    - PTO, 401K, and Comp are fair and competitive
    - Amazing location
    - If you're smart and willing to put in the time you'll succeed here

Cons

- The only reason I'm writing this is because when I was looking for a job I took Glassdoor very seriously and would have never considered a company with a low rating. In this case, I would have made a big mistake.
    - Also, no one told me to write this (a feeling I got with a lot of current employee reviews)

- I don't have any advice that I wouldn't give face-to-face.

Beware of Decker Communications who hire salespeople to get their contacts then fire them

I worked at Decker Communications

Pros

Base salary and commission are paid

Cons

Mediocre product that this company claims to customize this program for each of their clients, but they don't. All of their sales staff either quit or got fired in March 2014. The president is rude to the salespeople, thinks lowly of them and she can't help but show it. Also, NO LEADS are generated. This company doesn't know how to generate business.

Revamp your products and be nice to salespeople

This company presented itself as one of great growth and potential, but is sadly not one or the other.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Decker Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are very nice and friendly, but unfortunately, it’s just a facade.

Cons

This is a communications skills training company and the irony is that it’s key people lack any sense of communications skills, especially toward their sales staff. Their programs are mere remnants from the 80’s. Their total emphasis on improving eye contact by gazing into people’s eyes to be more effective, is not only outdated but proven to be irrelevant and even scary, according to the ever-growing savvy workforce. Other than their training programs, the managers are good folk who are happy to have a job, and who don’t understand the sales process. They operate in fear mode because they are intimidated by the owners of the company, so they drink their sorrows away during work hours. The President runs the company like a dictator and does not hesitate to put her husband, the CEO, in his place publicly. She will humiliate anybody who as much as crosses her path - and for any reason - you’re wearing the wrong color shirt, you write run-on sentences in your emails (yes, they screen everything), your choice of sales calls is not to her liking, anything. Basically, she doesn’t care if you’re a top producer or not. She is a highly emotionally-driven woman who bases ALL of the company’s important business decisions upon whether she likes you or not. The CEO, president, CFO and SVP will criticize anything you say, even in normal conversation, anything you write and even how you dress. If you are a sharp dresser and a top producer, you might come into this company with a certain edge about you. Ditch it or they will chop you down and ‘Deckerize’ you, as they like to call it. They want you only for your contacts and they don’t care about your expertise in sales or your relationships with your clients because they’re gonna get rid of you as soon as you put those clients in their system

Be nice to people and improve your programs - more importantly care about your clients