Decore-ative Specialties Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Jack Lansford Sr

1. Ruben Rodriguez former Plant Manager and the team I worked with was excellent. Jack Sr. & Jack jr. The best.

Former Employee - Plant Manager in Irwindale, CA
    Former Employee - Plant Manager in Irwindale, CA

I worked at Decore-ative Specialties full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a workaholic and there is always something to do. Loved the place. If they are looking for another Plant Mgr in the future I would consider.

Cons

None. They leave alone to do your work , had my prod meeting in the morning and stayed on the floor watching quality and the color of the day.

Advice to Management

When I was there they left me alone and my numbers spoke for themselves. Just hit your schedules and make sure to make quality products.

2. Too many hours

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Monroe, NC
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Monroe, NC

I worked at Decore-ative Specialties full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for overtime and if you need to make money fast. a lot of growing in the company.

Cons

Too many hours to have a good balance of work and life. Pay starts out low.

3. Miserable!

I worked at Decore-ative Specialties

Pros

Most of the techs want to do well and move forward. Techs are great to work with

Cons

Upper management does not communicate with each other well.

Advice to Management

Let one person have the final say. Please make certain the right hand knows what the left hand is doing

5. It's better than some places, not as good as others. Disillusioned over time, it has become just a job.

I have been working at Decore-ative Specialties full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you're a workaholic, this is the place to be. With exception to some(most?) office positions, 10-12 hours a day, frequently 6 days a week is the norm. Although, depending on the backlog, weekend work is usually a shorter day. For the most part they do like to have top notch machinery/equipment. The Maintenance Crews are awesome, regular maintenance is spot on(as far as I can tell). If something does break, they are quick and clever with the repairs. Being able to trust the equipment you rely on to do your job is a de-stressor. As long as your not a screw up, and don't do anything to get on the bad side of Management; you've pretty much got a job for as long as you want to be there. I do look forward to seeing my fellow employees every day. In my opinion, it's a good group of people. I may not know everyone by name, and sometimes there is a language barrier. But, it has been many years since a smile, and or friendly wave hasn't been returned.

Cons

Average employee pay is mediocre to decent at best, if you can consider yourself above lower middle class you are doing well here. I'm not sure about Management bonuses; employee bonuses are all but non-existent, and are borderline insulting. Insurance benefits used to be darn good, a counterbalance to the wages. During the recession they tapered back a bit, understandably. They have been in free fall for four(?) years, and business has increased steadily for the past three. Almost seems like they don't try for better anymore. Advancement beyond supervisor and middle management is nearly impossible, as far as I have seen. I knew this was a family owned business when I started, and I don't know everyone in management or how they got their job. But, it seems that nepotism very dominant.

Advice to Management

Involve the employees more, great machines are necessary; but all of us, worker and management alike are the company's greatest assets. Listen to us, ask us questions. There are many of us who have been here a long time, I know there are some good ideas out there. That's supposed to be a big part of the Kaizen program we've been doing for six(?) years. Give serious consideration to better compensation, and reversing the direction of the insurance benefits. A nominal raise to the pay scale, along with defined, consistent; not random, arbitrary bonuses would go a long way. We invest a considerable amount of our lives into the company. The continual large amount of overtime we work is a primary factor for most us to be doing "ok". On the surface that doesn't have the appearance of a symbiotic relationship.

6. Overall a good company but dysfunctional

I have been working at Decore-ative Specialties full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you join certain departments then the work environment can be enjoyable. You are not just a number at this company, everyone knows who you are and the interactions between employees are enjoyable.

Cons

Some departments are dysfunctional, they tend to start things and work with other departments, but then drop the ball ans expect others to pick it up or just follow their lead without taking into consideration what may be happening in the other areas of the company. Members of this organization still behaves as if they are working for a mom and pop shop where there is no need to get approvals from upper management and/or communicate with others to see if there is resources to do what they need in the timeframe.

Advice to Management

Organization needs to look into centralizing the way projects are run and have the right TRAINED team in the position so that the communication is done properly between areas and the company goals are being met. This place still things that just giving a directive and letting everyone do as they see fit to meet it is right. but with no control or communication the organization is running around trying to do a bunch of stuff and resources becomes the roadblock since not all the areas align their resources together to met goals. They all just try to push their needs through, like a train with no conductor, that is asking for disaster to happen and nothing will be completely done.

Growth development in Human resources field

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Irwindale, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Irwindale, CA

I worked at Decore-ative Specialties

Pros

leader in industry cabinet, state of the art machinary, long term knowledgeable employees, great support from management for personal employee issues

Cons

industry tied to housing market, not the best time to be in this industry, extensive downsizing of labor force since 2009.

8. A company that its senior management needs to begin to act like a team.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monrovia, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monrovia, CA

I have been working at Decore-ative Specialties

Pros

Good place to get experience in a constant change environment. Time off request are very rarely rejected. The employees that are down in the trenches are great to work with. Team attitude at the lower levels is good

Cons

Company is current in a flux of issues. Senior management has major issue when it comes to working with each other. There is an attitude with upper management that they are only concern with their own areas and not the goals of the company.

Advice to Management

Need to look at the way company goals are being done and who is doing them. A privately own company needs an active leader otherwise the individual pieces will do as they wish and not move towards the common goal of the company. Jack Lansford Sr. is no longer an active part of the company, her retired about 2 years ago.

9. Decore-ative Specialties- Good place to launch your career if you don't have an ivy league education.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Monrovia, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Monrovia, CA

I have been working at Decore-ative Specialties

Pros

Small Company. You will get noticed quickly. Their is an opportunity to take on a variety of projects/responsibility within the company. You are given control of your career (If you take make the effort to be recognized and do a good job people will notice you). Great place to start a career. Talent is not exception and competition is not fierce so you will stand out if you do a good job. Culture is changing to give front line employees more decision making abilities. The company is heading in the right direction as management is understanding the importance of being able to adapt quickly, giving employees the tools to do the job right and being open to make changes to processes. Company pays well for management level employees.

Cons

It is family owned. Profitability is guarded closely so no one outside of upper management knows how well the company is actually doing. The company has an "old school" mentality where they reward high level positions to those who have been around a long time. Being promoted beyond director/plant manager level is unlikely as those positions are reserved for family members or close connections. Despite being the largest competitor in its industry the company is not widely recognized in the larger economy.

Advice to Management

The change and focus the company is taking to empower employees and change the way they do business is very positive. Keep it up.

10. employee

I have been working at Decore-ative Specialties full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You will learn a lot if you are willing to learn. The product that is sold by this company is very complex.

Cons

the company has a lot of "cowboys" that are doing things with no organization guidance. It forces everyone to scramble to work based on this lack of organization.

Advice to Management

Have the "cowboys" work with an internal organization to assist them in getting things done. Don't wait until the last minute to have people do their part. With the cut backs that has happen in the past, manning is low and communication is needed more.

11. Good

Current Employee - Production Manager
    Current Employee - Production Manager

I have been working at Decore-ative Specialties

Pros

Job security is the best thing in Decore

Cons

We do work long hours, I do not like the 4 days schedule

Advice to Management

Spend more time on the floor,

RSS Feed </> Embed