Dedicated Computing

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014
1.8

Don Schlidt

Did gain beneficial experience that i will be able to use in my career.

Current Employee - Integration Tester in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Integration Tester in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Dedicated Computing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There was plenty of over time. Everyone was easy to get along with. If you worked hard enough you would be able to advance in the company.

Cons

There was no set schedule. you would find yourself coming in at 5a some days and 7am on others.

N/a

Poor Training & Lack of Managerial Focus

Current Employee - Cell Technician
    Current Employee - Cell Technician

I have been working at Dedicated Computing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy job, it's basically setup like an assembly line. If you've built a PC or Server before this is a walk in the park. Everything is plug & play & the instructions are right in front of you on a monitor with detailed pictures. Looks great on a resume.

Cons

Low pay, lack of direction from management & extremely poor training.

I feel it would be a great benefit & reduce 'high turnover rates' if DC were to set up a "Training Cell" for new employees with a supervisor who's job is dedicated 100% to training new hires
    VS
    having the new employee bounce from Cell to Cell working with different employees on random projects at random times.

Typical assembly factory atmosphere

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I could easily park and had ping pong table, pool table and some vending machines worked in the break room.

Cons

No tolerance for personality. High expectations with low support. Lots of selfish hateful people afraid to lose their job.

Pushing culture on the employees with no benefit is not a good decision. employee of the week doesn't ever mean anything.

Sounds more impressive than it is.

Former Employee - Production Technician in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pros are for what it is the pay isn't terrible. It's basically a glorified manufacturing job, with computer knowledge helping just a bit. If you are into computers you at least end up working with like minded people ( sometimes ).

Cons

Management makes poor choices and the lower you are the more you end up working to make up for their mistakes. The word mandatory is something that has become part of DC culture before I left, and one of the reasons I did leave. At first when you start you think, wow I can move around here, but after some time you realize it's not even worth it. Each stepping stone position is a joke of a raise, and even the higher up positions don't seem very competitive in the market. Really no incentive to stay unless you have no more options. Want to learn things that help outside of DC? Good luck, they did very little to empower any of their workers especially on the lower end, despite some obvious talent. Most talent is smart enough to get out and find something better. When I started floor management was a bit better and made me feel slightly worth something, but after a few changes it felt like everyone's lives and time were expendable. 2 years and no one on the floor got 1 raise. Also, they say quality quality quality, but they really mean numbers numbers numbers. They ask for ways to improve but never want the real fix, only bandaids to cover up the real problems.

Make your works feel they are valuable, and let them grow. Give them incentive to learn your business, not just tiny cent raises. Learn to identify talent and not just say you want to keep it, but do nothing about it. Treat your employees nice and they will treat you nice. To quote one of their most valuable employees that went somewhere else "A company that doesn't treat its employees well, doesn't treat itself well".

Company Provides Entry Level Experience But Has Few Opportunities For Junior & Senior Professionals

Former Employee - Project Manager in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is fairly liberal when it comes to work life balance and it is easy to work from home or take days as needed for personal.

Cons

Overall salaries are well below market. Career paths and opportunities for advancement are not clearly defined. The middle management function does not exist so there is no focus on employee development and coaching. Employee turnover is high.

This is not a culture where employees feel valued and empowered. There is no true management function. Until the company is willing to sincerely invest in employee development and retention it will be difficult to attract and retain talent. Leadership training from the top down would beneficial.

Gilded job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pewaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pewaukee, WI

I have been working at Dedicated Computing part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a job that pays ok for the work. I was able to delve into a myriad of different projects.

Cons

Work is poorly defined.
    Management goes from one flavor of the month to another which means the focus of development is constantly changing.
    Management does not know how to run the business.
    Internal politics from the merger with Tushaus.

Stop trying to force integration of existing software. Software is not a service that can just boiler plate half defined criteria onto a project and call it done. Better define what the projects are and to not just use buzz words when defining them.
    Don't continue to depend on your customers thinking that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." they may sooner rather then later decide that it is broken and go somewhere else. Work to create something new and not just something slightly modified from an existing product.
    Work on paying your employees what they are worth.

Good experience for your resume.

Former Employee - Production Technician in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Dedicated Computing as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

As a Production Technician, you get to work with a team of 6 to 8 people. I took this job as a recent Computer Science college graduate. You get exposed to nearly all aspects of hardware and software troubleshooting, which I feel has been beneficial to my career development.

Many of the people I worked with were enjoyable and the break room had a ping pong table, foosball table, pool table, and gaming systems hooked up to one TV.

Cons

Who they lump you with can significantly impact your day-to-day life there. If you're unlucky and end up with a bunch of lazy PTs you will suffer by having to work mandatory Saturdays to make up for whatever work you couldn't get out during the week. They enforce a weekly FEU goal which is basically a system that determines how many built, tested, and configured computers need to be ready to be shipped if you don't want to work 6 days a week.

They touted profit-sharing, though the PTs I talked to said they hadn't seen a dime of that in all their time there. Before I left, there were meetings going on about changing from profit-sharing to something else.

There was a big push at the end of the year where we were working 10 hour days. As a temp, I appreciated the OT pay. But then there was the occasional furlough day–normal PTs could use vacation pay for those days but not temps! It seemed the sourcing team had a hard time distributing an even amount of work consistently.

The initial training is very disorganized and processes would run much, much smoother if there was a training cell for new hires. There seems to be a bit of turnover because of layoffs, promotions, and departures, so it just doesn't make sense that they had no set training materials.

Long frustrating days with low morale and bad management

Former Employee - Production Technician in Pewaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Production Technician in Pewaukee, WI

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay was reasonable for a starter job, Climate controlled building.

Cons

Crazy schedule shifts from 10 hour days starting at 5am to being furrowed the next day. Management doesn't know how to balance work load and makes a yearly dump of excess employees right around Christmas.

Don't stack up your staff for the busy times and call them full time then pull the rug out from under them after 6 months hire temps because this job is simple if ex-hairdressers and people that didn't touch a computer until they started can do this job a team of temporary workers can looking for people with a technical degree for a non-technical job is a insult.

Great entry-level company for computer techs

Current Employee - Material Handler in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Dedicated Computing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Internal Advancement Opportunities for Associates
    Tuition Reimbursement Offered to Associates

Cons

Need for External Corporate Branding

Management doesn't care about employees

Former Employee - RMA Receiving Clerk in Pewaukee, WI
    Former Employee - RMA Receiving Clerk in Pewaukee, WI

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the work and some of the people.

Cons

Management didn't care about employees. Human resources was a total joke. I was harassed and bullied by a few coworkers and HR tried to deny it and blame me for it. Ended up quitting due to the stress. Was a horrible place to work.

Fire your HR department since they were only concerned with keeping the company out of lawsuits and it didn't matter that your managers were incompetent. Was a horrible place to work. Omni Tech was bought out by another company right after I left. Maybe it's better now. But they laid everyone off before the buyout.