Dedicated Computing

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
1.9

Don Schlidt

Poor environment of micro management and leadership blind spots

Former Employee - Manager in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Manager in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company has leading edge technology that can address large marketplace issues. There is a large collection of knowledge at all employee levels. Overall there is a strong work ethic among the teams and individuals.

Cons

There is a consistent shifting of executive priorities that causes huge disruptions in the operation. Most individuals feel undervalued and even though they are asked - feel that their ideas do not matter. Leadership does not want to hear the truth and is known to "kill the messenger" to stay the course.

Modify execution plans with lessons learned and actual market feedback
    Search for actual root of the problem and then support the cost of resolution
    Examine and significantly improve the leadership style starting at top
    Realize there are unintended customer consequences to all $ decisions

The most unprofessional and negative environment that I worked for.

Former Employee - Cell Member
    Former Employee - Cell Member

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everything is plug & play & the instructions are right in front of you on a monitor with detailed pictures. There was plenty of overtime.

Cons

They say quality, but they really mean numbers. If the employees don't like you that will call you names and assume things about you. The leads and supervisors that I worked with are very unprofessional. Some employees will even threaten you and are very aggressive. If you come from a different culture you are treated with disrespect. There are a lots of selfish and hateful people if you are not related to them. The company is completely full of nepotism. I agree with most of the reviews here except the positive ones. There was nothing positive about the people I worked with except the ones that kept quiet and their mouth shut. One review said it best with, “I was harassed and bullied by a few coworkers and HR tried to deny it and blame me for it. Ended up quitting due to the stress. Was a horrible place to work.” I fully agree with this reviewer. This is the worst company that I ever work for and I over 30 years of work experiences. I almost went crazy working here.

You should make sure your leads, supervisors, and workers are professional or you'll be sued. I could have sue the company but didn't because I was too happy to out that environment.

Would be very careful before thinking of joining this company.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Customers were great to work with.

Cons

They don't invest in the employees or value them. There is a lack of leadership in general. Salaries are below what the market range is. Very high turnover in employees and customers. That says a lot.

Focus on what the company is good at. The global enterprise dedicated side of the business. You're failing in the consulting side and that has been evident ever since Dedicated bought Tushaus.

My time at Dedicated has been very enjoyable, with plenty of opportunities to expand my knowledge.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Dedicated Computing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance...not too strict about time
    Everyone is available to ask questions, and most people seem to be in a good mood
    The CEO will get to know your name
    Executives, Directors, etc. don't act like they're better than everyone
    Haven't been here very long yet, but I can imagine myself being promoted
    Frequent meetings to let employees know how the company is doing and events to get involved in
    Opportunities to attend conferences, tradeshows, etc.

Cons

Pay is a little below market rate
    No middle management, which could be good, but it also shows that it could be hard to get a real promotion.
    My onboarding/orientation was a bit lackluster

More defined path to promotions
    Offer a program in which office workers can spend time in various areas of the business to get a more complete knowledge of how the business operates, and the integral role of every employee.

Poor sales leadership, poor planning and execution by senior management

Former Employee - Business Development Executive
    Former Employee - Business Development Executive

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great food choices in the vending machines.

Cons

Sales management is very weak, does not know how to lead. Doesn't understand the basics of managing a sales pipeline. Very poor execution. I am very surprised there have not been any change in leadership.

Did gain beneficial experience that i will be able to use in my career.

Current Employee - Integration Tester in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Integration Tester in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at Dedicated Computing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There was plenty of over time. Everyone was easy to get along with. If you worked hard enough you would be able to advance in the company.

Cons

There was no set schedule. you would find yourself coming in at 5a some days and 7am on others.

N/a

Poor Training & Lack of Managerial Focus

Current Employee - Cell Technician
    Current Employee - Cell Technician

I have been working at Dedicated Computing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy job, it's basically setup like an assembly line. If you've built a PC or Server before this is a walk in the park. Everything is plug & play & the instructions are right in front of you on a monitor with detailed pictures. Looks great on a resume.

Cons

Low pay, lack of direction from management & extremely poor training.

I feel it would be a great benefit & reduce 'high turnover rates' if DC were to set up a "Training Cell" for new employees with a supervisor who's job is dedicated 100% to training new hires
    VS
    having the new employee bounce from Cell to Cell working with different employees on random projects at random times.

Typical assembly factory atmosphere

Former Employee - Production Technician in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I could easily park and had ping pong table, pool table and some vending machines worked in the break room.

Cons

No tolerance for personality. High expectations with low support. Lots of selfish hateful people afraid to lose their job.

Pushing culture on the employees with no benefit is not a good decision. employee of the week doesn't ever mean anything.

Sounds more impressive than it is.

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pros are for what it is the pay isn't terrible. It's basically a glorified manufacturing job, with computer knowledge helping just a bit. If you are into computers you at least end up working with like minded people ( sometimes ).

Cons

Management makes poor choices and the lower you are the more you end up working to make up for their mistakes. The word mandatory is something that has become part of DC culture before I left, and one of the reasons I did leave. At first when you start you think, wow I can move around here, but after some time you realize it's not even worth it. Each stepping stone position is a joke of a raise, and even the higher up positions don't seem very competitive in the market. Really no incentive to stay unless you have no more options. Want to learn things that help outside of DC? Good luck, they did very little to empower any of their workers especially on the lower end, despite some obvious talent. Most talent is smart enough to get out and find something better. When I started floor management was a bit better and made me feel slightly worth something, but after a few changes it felt like everyone's lives and time were expendable. 2 years and no one on the floor got 1 raise. Also, they say quality quality quality, but they really mean numbers numbers numbers. They ask for ways to improve but never want the real fix, only bandaids to cover up the real problems.

Make your works feel they are valuable, and let them grow. Give them incentive to learn your business, not just tiny cent raises. Learn to identify talent and not just say you want to keep it, but do nothing about it. Treat your employees nice and they will treat you nice. To quote one of their most valuable employees that went somewhere else "A company that doesn't treat its employees well, doesn't treat itself well".

Company Provides Entry Level Experience But Has Few Opportunities For Junior & Senior Professionals

Former Employee - Project Manager in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company is fairly liberal when it comes to work life balance and it is easy to work from home or take days as needed for personal.

Cons

Overall salaries are well below market. Career paths and opportunities for advancement are not clearly defined. The middle management function does not exist so there is no focus on employee development and coaching. Employee turnover is high.

This is not a culture where employees feel valued and empowered. There is no true management function. Until the company is willing to sincerely invest in employee development and retention it will be difficult to attract and retain talent. Leadership training from the top down would beneficial.