Dedicated Computing

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Don Schlidt

Sounds more impressive than it is.

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pros are for what it is the pay isn't terrible. It's basically a glorified manufacturing job, with computer knowledge helping just a bit. If you are into computers you at least end up working with like minded people ( sometimes ).

ConsManagement makes poor choices and the lower you are the more you end up working to make up for their mistakes. The word mandatory is something that has become part of DC culture before I left, and one of the reasons I did leave. At first when you start you think, wow I can move around here, but after some time you realize it's not even worth it. Each stepping stone position is a joke of a raise, and even the higher up positions don't seem very competitive in the market. Really no incentive to stay unless you have no more options. Want to learn things that help outside of DC? Good luck, they did very little to empower any of their workers especially on the lower end, despite some obvious talent. Most talent is smart enough to get out and find something better. When I started floor management was a bit better and made me feel slightly worth something, but after a few changes it felt like everyone's lives and time were expendable. 2 years and no one on the floor got 1 raise. Also, they say quality quality quality, but they really mean numbers numbers numbers. They ask for ways to improve but never want the real fix, only bandaids to cover up the real problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your works feel they are valuable, and let them grow. Give them incentive to learn your business, not just tiny cent raises. Learn to identify talent and not just say you want to keep it, but do nothing about it. Treat your employees nice and they will treat you nice. To quote one of their most valuable employees that went somewhere else "A company that doesn't treat its employees well, doesn't treat itself well".

Company Provides Entry Level Experience But Has Few Opportunities For Junior & Senior Professionals

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company is fairly liberal when it comes to work life balance and it is easy to work from home or take days as needed for personal.

ConsOverall salaries are well below market. Career paths and opportunities for advancement are not clearly defined. The middle management function does not exist so there is no focus on employee development and coaching. Employee turnover is high.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is not a culture where employees feel valued and empowered. There is no true management function. Until the company is willing to sincerely invest in employee development and retention it will be difficult to attract and retain talent. Leadership training from the top down would beneficial.

Gilded job

Pewaukee, WI

I have been working at Dedicated Computing part-time for more than a year

ProsIt is a job that pays ok for the work. I was able to delve into a myriad of different projects.

ConsWork is poorly defined.
Management goes from one flavor of the month to another which means the focus of development is constantly changing.
Management does not know how to run the business.
Internal politics from the merger with Tushaus.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to force integration of existing software. Software is not a service that can just boiler plate half defined criteria onto a project and call it done. Better define what the projects are and to not just use buzz words when defining them.
Don't continue to depend on your customers thinking that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." they may sooner rather then later decide that it is broken and go somewhere else. Work to create something new and not just something slightly modified from an existing product.
Work on paying your employees what they are worth.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience for your resume.

Waukesha, WI

I worked at Dedicated Computing as a contractor for less than a year

ProsAs a Production Technician, you get to work with a team of 6 to 8 people. I took this job as a recent Computer Science college graduate. You get exposed to nearly all aspects of hardware and software troubleshooting, which I feel has been beneficial to my career development.

Many of the people I worked with were enjoyable and the break room had a ping pong table, foosball table, pool table, and gaming systems hooked up to one TV.

ConsWho they lump you with can significantly impact your day-to-day life there. If you're unlucky and end up with a bunch of lazy PTs you will suffer by having to work mandatory Saturdays to make up for whatever work you couldn't get out during the week. They enforce a weekly FEU goal which is basically a system that determines how many built, tested, and configured computers need to be ready to be shipped if you don't want to work 6 days a week.

They touted profit-sharing, though the PTs I talked to said they hadn't seen a dime of that in all their time there. Before I left, there were meetings going on about changing from profit-sharing to something else.

There was a big push at the end of the year where we were working 10 hour days. As a temp, I appreciated the OT pay. But then there was the occasional furlough day–normal PTs could use vacation pay for those days but not temps! It seemed the sourcing team had a hard time distributing an even amount of work consistently.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe initial training is very disorganized and processes would run much, much smoother if there was a training cell for new hires. There seems to be a bit of turnover because of layoffs, promotions, and departures, so it just doesn't make sense that they had no set training materials.

Long frustrating days with low morale and bad management

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time for less than a year

ProsPay was reasonable for a starter job, Climate controlled building.

ConsCrazy schedule shifts from 10 hour days starting at 5am to being furrowed the next day. Management doesn't know how to balance work load and makes a yearly dump of excess employees right around Christmas.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't stack up your staff for the busy times and call them full time then pull the rug out from under them after 6 months hire temps because this job is simple if ex-hairdressers and people that didn't touch a computer until they started can do this job a team of temporary workers can looking for people with a technical degree for a non-technical job is a insult.

Great entry-level company for computer techs

Material Handler (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dedicated Computing full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInternal Advancement Opportunities for Associates
Tuition Reimbursement Offered to Associates

ConsNeed for External Corporate Branding

Management doesn't care about employees

RMA Receiving Clerk (Former Employee)

I worked at Dedicated Computing full-time for less than a year

ProsI enjoyed the work and some of the people.

ConsManagement didn't care about employees. Human resources was a total joke. I was harassed and bullied by a few coworkers and HR tried to deny it and blame me for it. Ended up quitting due to the stress. Was a horrible place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire your HR department since they were only concerned with keeping the company out of lawsuits and it didn't matter that your managers were incompetent. Was a horrible place to work. Omni Tech was bought out by another company right after I left. Maybe it's better now. But they laid everyone off before the buyout.

Worked for Dedicated Computing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dedicated Computing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dedicated Computing CEO Don Schlidt. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Dedicated Computing employees.