Deer Valley Resort

Deer Valley Resort Reviews

Updated Jun 8, 2014

Bob Wheaton

Competitive Pay for Entry Level Ski Instructors

Entry Level Ski Instructor (Former Employee)

ProsCOMPENSATION:
    Numbers based on 2008/2009 season

Typical pay for 1st year entry level instructor working in the childrens program:

.A Conservative Breakdown of Pay:

Base rate - $10 per hour (typical day is a 7 hour lesson and lunch is paid for)
    + # of children - $10 per child (typical group is around 5 kids)
    _____________________________________________________________
    = $120 per day
    X 5 days (based on typical working week)
    = $600 per week
    X 2 weeks (bi weekly pay schedule)
    = $1200 gross
    - 25% taxes
    = $900 in the bank
    + $200 - 800 in TIPS (Fluctuates between $20 and $80 per day)
    __________________________________________________
    = $1100 - $1900 every 2 weeks (expect the lower $1100 figure during slow times and the higher $1900 one during busy times)

NOTE: This breakdown does not include possible wages earned from private lessons. During the 08/09 season Deer Valley paid $30 per hour if the lesson was privately requested. I didn't get many. Your results may vary.

Additional note: PSIA level 1 certification increased my base rate by $0.50 in January.

PERKS:

- Utah powder. Need I say more?
    - Food served at Deer Valley is discounted for employees. (about 50%)
    - 5 lift tickets for friends and family. (should not be sold)
    - Employee housing @ about $300 per month. Cabins are located at the base of the Jordanelle Dam in Heber. (Personal opinion...living closer to park city is worth the extra money.)
    - Free demos during demo days.
    - End of season bonus (around $600)
    - Workers Compensation is fair if you get hurt.
    - Working and living in/around Park City gives you the opportunity to ski at other nearby resorts like Park City Mountain Resort and The Canyons. Tickets are free. Just bring a letter from your ski school.
    - If you have your own car you can visit more resorts on your days off (during the slow periods of the season). Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude, Snowbasin, and Powder Mountain are all within a 2 hour drive. Tickets at these resorts are discounted.
    - If you live in Park City or nearby (i.e. Kimball Junction) you get prime access to the Sundance Film Festival. You get first pick of the films you want to see. (Plan your days off accordingly).
    - If you don't like Sundance movies, no problem. The slopes are all yours. Everyone else is at the festival.
    - Moab is not far away. If that doesn't mean anything to you don't worry about it. Not all of us like to ride mountain bikes.
    - Las Vegas is only a 45 minute flight away.

PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL GROWTH:

- Free ski clinics at the end of each working day.
    - Obtaining PSIA certification improves your skiing and teaching skills.
    - Attendance of PSIA clinics is encouraged by Deer Valley. You can request multiple days off from work to attend these events. (Which also grows your professional network into other ski schools.)
    - Awesome terrain will make you a better skier.
    - Like to race? Talk to Bill Skinner. He runs the Park City Masters Ski Racing Program.
    - Upward mobility to supervisor positions.
    - Exposure and access to other resort operations allows for an additional income stream. (i.e. Rental shop, tuning room...etc...)

Cons1. Forget about going home for the holidays. You're working.
    2. You'll probably be working on a powder day.
    3. You can't ski where you want to when your working on a powder day.
    4. You'll feel like a babysitter on skis most of the time.
    5. Lunch is terrible. Chicken fingers, hamburgers, etc...Bring your own lunch.
    6. The busy times will temporarily burn you out.
    7. The snow eventually melts and you have to find other work.
    8. Health insurance is not bad but not great. Don't get hurt during your personal time, you can't afford it.
    9. No 401k, dental, or vision

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. My supervisors did a good job.

Great Benefits and a great environment

Cook II (Former Employee)
    Park City, UT

ProsThe benefits that they offer the employees are great. There is room to move up in the company but it may take a long time.

ConsThe pay is disheartening to make a long life career out of it is questionable. I have a college degree and honestly the most I got out of the company was great ski benefits and something to put on my resume.

Great job for the ski perks

ProsLoved getting to ski deer valley, always people around to help.

ConsGreat company, however management of my department left a bitter impression. Business was slow that year, and my department was overstaffed so there wasn't enough business for all of us to get paid.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The management plays dirty

Clerk (Former Employee)
    Park City, UT

ProsWork-life balance is great. This is a job that you can truly discard after a season or two, and you need not worry about being fired on a day-to-day basis, because you know the managers of the company have no loyalty toward you and there are few real long-term career prospects at this company. You wouldn't want a long-term career here anyway, because your paycheck would be in the hands of a small group of disreputable people, who also stand on a shaky foundation. You can probably ski a lot.

ConsFood safety is low on their list of priorities, and a poor culture combined with short-sighted, hostile management encourages employees to be silent about issues that may negatively impact guests' health and the reputation of the business. It's a small company that acts more as a club—not a "country club," but a giant wooden club, which they use to club their employees. Working here is less a profitable career, and more akin to charity work, which the managers fail to appreciate. Work here if you don't need the money and want to ski a lot and make new friends, but never give them the power to control your primary paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour egos have been artificially inflated by your own hot air. Work for a multinational Fortune 500 company for a year or two, and then take some of that training back to Deer Valley. Your company needs a major overhaul in the way you treat employees. If you want to continue posturing as the Park City mafia, then you need to remember that "loyalty" is a two-way street.

Loved working with Chef Fletcher

Sous Chef (Former Employee)
    Deer Valley, UT

ProsChef Fletcher is an amazing Chef and Boss

ConsThe inside management at HR are horrible and dishonest

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the program! Get off your high horse!!

company

Service (Former Employee)
    Park City, UT

ProsGet to know the guests

ConsWorking with some incapable people

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck on your lodge management

The Ski Bum Job.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSkiing everyday, a lot of good deals on food, free passes to Deer Valley and the surrounding areas. Can go to Sundance for free.

ConsIt can get really cold, but I feel that is obvious. Their employee housing is horrible, do not stay in it no matter what anyone says unless you can't find anything better.

Awesome

Ski Instructor (Former Employee)
    Deer Valley, UT

ProsHard working environment with a fun staff.

ConsFor new ski instructors, no paid lunch (even though you're still working)

Great place to start out, great place to stay.

Ski Instructor (Current Employee)
    Park City, UT

ProsIf you start out with no experience there is quite a bit of support to help you along the way including continuous training, encouragement and assistance in getting certified with PSIA, plenty of very helpful co-workers who want to help you become a better teacher and skier.

The resort generally respects and trusts you

Pay is good - higher than most other ski resorts and the clients who ski here generally tip more than other resorts.

Once you do climb the PSIA ladder you'll get very, very good lessons.

ConsLike all organizations you don't always feel empowered or like you're able to make decisions as an adult.
    It's a seasonal place to work in a VERY expensive town, hard to make it work.
    As of late DV is focusing heavily on getting PSIA certified. If you don't go this route you will not advance past little kid lessons.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your instructors - most of them aren't children and make good decisions. You need to find employees that aren't making good decisions and help/target them. For those of us who don't make silly mistakes and think about our actions it's frustrating to listen to what applies to a small minority.

Best Resort to work for in Utah

Driver (Current Employee)

ProsDeer Valley is the best managed resort in Utah. The company culture is great and you really feel like your part of a community when working at Deer Valley. Management cares about their employees and will help you in many different ways. The ski benefits and heath benefits are some of the best in the business and loyalty to the company is rewarded.

Cons* Seasonal work
    * Lots of people going after a small number of career advancement job openings makes it difficult to move up in the company.

Worked for Deer Valley Resort? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Deer Valley Resort reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Deer Valley Resort CEO Bob Wheaton. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Deer Valley Resort employees.