Deer Valley Unified School District

Updated Jun 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gets worse every year

ProsThe students and families are great.

ConsThe expectations continue to increase every year while the pay decreases for everyone except the superintendent.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closer at the budget and don't pay some people outrageous salaries while at the same time making cuts that negatively impact the students.

Good experience but need a change.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Glendale, AZ

ProsThe teachers are kind and hard-working!

ConsDistrict Employees and newly implemented PDSA.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet teachers teach!

What was once a great district, is now a very tough place to work.

Teacher (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsAmazing teachers and some quality administrators.

ConsThe district now has so many tedious programs that they are trying to implement all at once and don't seem to see that they are not resulting in results for students, but over work and burnout for teachers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The worst experience of my life.

Teacher (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsI had a job for a year.

ConsThere wasn't any communication and by September, the principal realized that they did not have enough students to hire me in August. The salary was also very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to strategically plan and treat employees with some respect.

Look Elsewhere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWeekends off? But you need it to recover from the load you deal with during the week.

It's an okay setting if you can stomach poor management and need the extra money.

ConsPoor management of employees. Former colleague lied about her role in the setting to promote herself and screwed another out of a much deserved promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually look at your employees and see what is going on in the classrooms.

DVUSD disrespects the professionalism of its teachers by requiring one-size-fits-all implementations.

Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsThe district does provide frequent, free and excellent professional development opportunities.

ConsThe district makes its teachers jump through hoops based on ridiculous formulas to determine whether or not or how much of 301 money will be paid to teachers. By the time family health insurance premiums, Social Security and AZ retirement are deducted, teacher take-home pay is less than 20k a year - not a living wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat (pay) your teachers better before you lose any more to other districts, or worse, run them right out of the profession.

Great rewards and great challenges

Teacher (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

Prosworking with kids and helping them reach those light bulb moments is very rewarding,
    loved to collaborate with fellow teachers, putting together effective and engaging lesson plans we all could share

ConsThere is a new, palatial district office, fully staffed with more employees than they are willing to admit...newly refurbished school campuses fully staffed with administration, principals and vice principals...but no money for books and desks and three years of pay cuts for the teachers. School board is fully aware of the issues and are not interested in teacher feedback.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk yourself...what are we doing as a district to attract great teachers and keep the great ones we already have. Spend less time on a 17 page teacher evaluation instrument and more time asking teachers what they need to ensure student success.

Humbling

Driver (Current Employee) Glendale, AZ

ProsIf your retired and need to keep busy

ConsBroken equipment dealing with unmanagble children

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your fat asses out of the seat and excercise get healthy

An ok place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsNice colleagues to work with
    Good benefits

ConsNot enough transparency and trust between district management and school staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe in the schools more to really see what goes on. Support and try to retain experienced teachers.

A district in turmoil, with incompetent leadership. Avoid working there at all costs.

Psychologist (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsIf you live nearby and do not have any other options you may have to tough it out. Many school staff members work at a school because their children attend the school or simply to be on a similar work schedule as the school schedule. If this is your only option, you may have to take it. The stress, low pay and expectations to work long hours are common to most public education institutions. Taking advantage of young teachers or teachers and staff members who have few options is how the public education system works. Most teachers leave after a few years to pursue other interests as it just is not worth it any longer.

ConsLeadership from top to bottom is clueless. Parents are taking their children out in droves. Complaints to the state department of education are setting records for the state.

This district personifies all of these qualities and adds a level of incompetence at all levels of leadership. A good leader in this district is hard to find and very rare. The few that have found a place in the district are often harassed out of a the job by fed up teachers and incompetent, mirco-managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart looking for leaders that can handle the current population.

Worked for Deer Valley Unified School District? Contribute to the Community!