Deer Valley Unified School District

Updated September 6, 2014
Updated September 6, 2014
2.5

CEO

As a PE teacher, I enjoyed my experience with the students and staff!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Deer Valley Unified School District

Pros

The staff, both certified and classified, are all friendly and supportive of each other. The principals I worked with provided professional development opportunities which helped me in the continuous improvement to lessons and classroom environment I sought.

Cons

The district does not budget well for teacher pay and has had pay cuts in the past, although recently there have been pay freezes or small pay increases. If you don't have a master's you cannot expect to make much more than when you started. After 13 years, I still made less than $40k.

Budget better. Maintain smaller class sizes especially younger grades. Show more appreciation for teachers and staff through longevity. Don't make teachers jump through so many hippos to earn voter approved 301 money that should help retain quality teachers and staff.

So-so district for teaching

Former Employee - Teacher in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Deer Valley Unified School District full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great test scores at most schools within the district
    Lots of professional development opportunities
    Nice colleagues and students
    SMARTBoards in most classrooms

Cons

Low pay
    High Stress
    Work long hours and weekends with no extra compensation
    Required to sit on committees and spend tons of extra time without pay
    Lots of extra time needed/expected on displaying and monitoring proof of learning
    Few resources for curriculum, your kind of on your own sorting out what is available and how to use it
    The new teacher mentor program causes more stress and extra work when what they need is a go-to person when they have questions.

Follow the duty-free teaching practice of Paradise Valley District
    Minimize nonsense monitoring agendas that take away from teacher preparation.
    Try to pick with something and stick with it. The constant changing of curriculum is taxing on personnel

I can't get out of this District and profession fast enough!!

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Deer Valley Unified School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love the kids, my co-workers, and my principal!! The best part of my job is when I actually get to TEACH!!

Cons

This is one of the most poorly run districts I've ever seen. I've been a teacher here for 15 years. For the past 5, my salary has remained the same while the workload has increased ten-fold. This District is entirely too top heavy. In order to justify their positions each department is throwing something new at teachers that is required to be implemented that year, but there is no communication between the departments nor is their proper training for the teachers.

Last year it was the new online teacher evaluation tool which was a total disaster. Nobody knew what the expectations were, nor did they know how to use the software. Principals were given very little guidance from the district. Everyone was left to fend for themselves and try to figure it out on their own. This year, we are expected to create a new website using their required template. The software is horrible!! This district has an aversion to choosing user-friendly software!

There is also a new standards-based report card being implemented. But, we will also be keeping the traditional grades-based report cards. Years ago they tried standards-based report cards and it was a disaster. I predict it will be again. Report cards are supposed to go out in a few weeks and we have yet to be trained on them.

For a few years now they have been requiring teachers to use a model for "continuous improvement" that was originally designed to use in businesses, not schools. Proof of it's usage is required to be up on our bulletin boards and district personnel do classroom walk-throughs to check to be sure it is being done. It is a huge waste of instructional time and completely useless!

The newest initiative to be implemented is RTI. Again this is not something we have been properly trained to do. There method of training is to give us a book and require us to read it. I wonder how well my students would do if that was how I taught them?

In our last employee satisfaction survey, 50% of the teachers indicated that they didn't plan to be working in the district in 3 years.

This may be an "A" rated district, but it has nothing to do with what the district administration is doing.

Listen to the feedback you are getting from teachers. You are driving them out of the profession and the kids aren't getting any smarter from all your initiatives and micromanaging.

Focus on one thing at a time and provide quality training and adequate time for teachers to learn new skills. Your only focus right now should be training teachers on best practices for teaching the Common Core Standards.

Love Substitute Teaching at DVUSD

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Deer Valley Unified School District part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have always enjoyed my job as a substitute teacher for Deer Valley Unified School District. I can work as little or as much as I want, and it is easy to accept or refuse available jobs on a daily basis with the online scheduler and automated phone system. For the most part, subs are greatly appreciated, especially the good ones who can follow a teacher's lesson plans and show up on time.

Cons

I really don't have anything negative to say other than subs, just like all teachers, should be paid more. Some days, depending on the student behavior and expectations of the teacher, I deserve a lot more than $85 a day. I continue to do it because it is such a convenient job to work around my own child's school schedule. I only give 4 out of 5 stars overall because of pay.

Gets worse every year

I have been working at Deer Valley Unified School District

Pros

The students and families are great.

Cons

The expectations continue to increase every year while the pay decreases for everyone except the superintendent.

Look closer at the budget and don't pay some people outrageous salaries while at the same time making cuts that negatively impact the students.

Good experience but need a change.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Deer Valley Unified School District full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The teachers are kind and hard-working!

Cons

District Employees and newly implemented PDSA.

Let teachers teach!

What was once a great district, is now a very tough place to work.

Current Employee - Teacher in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Teacher in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Amazing teachers and some quality administrators.

Cons

The district now has so many tedious programs that they are trying to implement all at once and don't seem to see that they are not resulting in results for students, but over work and burnout for teachers.

The worst experience of my life.

Former Employee - Teacher in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Deer Valley Unified School District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had a job for a year.

Cons

There wasn't any communication and by September, the principal realized that they did not have enough students to hire me in August. The salary was also very low.

Learn how to strategically plan and treat employees with some respect.

Look Elsewhere

I worked at Deer Valley Unified School District part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Weekends off? But you need it to recover from the load you deal with during the week.

It's an okay setting if you can stomach poor management and need the extra money.

Cons

Poor management of employees. Former colleague lied about her role in the setting to promote herself and screwed another out of a much deserved promotion.

Actually look at your employees and see what is going on in the classrooms.

DVUSD disrespects the professionalism of its teachers by requiring one-size-fits-all implementations.

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Deer Valley Unified School District full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The district does provide frequent, free and excellent professional development opportunities.

Cons

The district makes its teachers jump through hoops based on ridiculous formulas to determine whether or not or how much of 301 money will be paid to teachers. By the time family health insurance premiums, Social Security and AZ retirement are deducted, teacher take-home pay is less than 20k a year - not a living wage.

Treat (pay) your teachers better before you lose any more to other districts, or worse, run them right out of the profession.