Defender Direct

www.defenderdirect.com

Defender Direct Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Defender Direct – Indianapolis – “At DEFENDER Direct, we believe that businesses…”

Dave Lindsey

Pros
  • If you can swim through the never changing bull_ _ _ _ , you could make good money(in 7 reviews)

• They make it a priority to offer self-improvement classes that not only benefit you, but those around you(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Classic bait and switch tactics(in 5 reviews)

• Forget about any sort of work/life balance(in 4 reviews)

Great first job!

Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsEveryone is willing to help. I had no experience and came straight from college and that didn't seem to matter. It is a very fast paced environment and I have learned more in the 10 months here than I did in my undergrad and masters.

ConsYou only get 10 days off your first year which includes your sick days. But that goes up after your first year.

Great opportunity - just know what you're getting into

Security Manager (Former Employee)

ProsLots of opportunity for personal and professional growth. If you can move your family quickly, there are many opportunities to advance. Defender also invests a lot into giving back. Service is more of an expectation than a recommendation.

ConsFinancial opportunity is great but comes with a compromise. There is no work-life balance. It is more of a work-life blend. Your family has to support you fully because the job takes total commitment. You can't kid yourself about what you have to give and you have to make sure your family is on board.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefender also likes to change things. A lot. Sometimes I think it's just to prove how nimble they are. Employees have a hard time adjusting when their comp plan changes quarterly. It makes me wonder what the logic is. Are you ensuring the right behaviors or paying for the right results? It is not the same thing.

Installation Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay, benefits, growth opportunity, business model and company culture

ConsYou live that position every waking and non waking second

Advice to Senior Managementstop trying to reinvent the wheel with pay structure and metrics and incentives, you're complicating things for your employees and kill morale

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Place to Better Yourself

Director (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsExcellent employee benefits, excellent fringe benefits, competitive pay, true focus on self-improvement

ConsFrequent changes - this is difficult for some people to handle. Many times is seems as if senior leadership is flying by the seat of its pants and heading any which way the wind blows. Usually it ends up being ok, but not without some gray hairs :)

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a stable environment where people aren't distracted by the changes and can focus on doing their jobs effectively.

Talent Acquisition

ProsThere are definitely more pros than cons. This company is amazing! They truly give everyone a chance at becoming the leader they know they can be. Defender's moto is "Businesses don't grow, people do!" I can see that they really live by this moto. Everyone that joins Defender is given an opportunity to show what they are made of and you are able to grow with an amazing organization. I have never been with a company that truly does care about their employees.

There are so many added benefits to working for Defender besides the typically health plans. They give you the opportunity to take classes on balancing your financials, to become a healthier you with Boot Camp, also to help others around you. Most recently most of us were able to take part in a Habitat for Humanity build. This is a very rewarding experience because you work with actual people who are taking part in the Habitat for Humanity program to one day own their own home. They also give you days to take off to go out into your community and help other organizations like Habitat. What other company actually gives you time off to go help others?? I am very grateful for being apart of such a great company and being able to grow with them. Thank you Defender!

ConsAs stated in the "pros" section, the pros really do overpower the cons. The only con I would have would be some of the communication. Some communication is lost within departments. We are not aware of small changes. Other than that, this company is GREAT!

Growing company

Sales Agent (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsWork environment is great. Lots of opportunities to advance. Knowing the right people helps. Decent pay.

ConsPeople really try and protect their jobs. Upper management likes to keep things within. You never know when things are going to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes people without a title have great ideas. Management doesn't have a monopoly on insight. Try not to over think it.

A company that truly invests in their people.

Sales Agent (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsI work at an inbound call center. I take calls from all 50 states. I like the fact I don't have to make any cold calls. Middle management provides a lot of support and coaching. Our product has value and name recognition (ADT Home Security). There is a lot of opportunities to grow with this company, not just as a professional, but as a person. Great benefits, awesome pay, low stress, amazing people.

ConsThe pay is 100% commission-based, so the income can be a little inconsistent at times. Sitting at a desk can be kind of boring sometimes. The job can get repetitive. For the sales force, no vacation pay. Plus you have to work one day on the weekend.

Advice to Senior ManagementPaid vacation would be nice :)

Defender has provided unsurpassed growth opportunities and stands behind its moto of Businesses Don't Grow People Do.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGrowth Organization focused on human development and servant leadership.

ConsIf you don't like a fast changing pace this is not for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementI couldn't be happier with what I am given the opportunity to do here.

Inside sales

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe company is all about culture, culture, culture and Christian values and helping others. It is also about learning leadership skills and growing.

ConsLong hours and eventually, the culture becomes like a cult and if not part of the cult - drinking the "Kool-Aid", very hard to grow. There is a lot of nepotism in the corporate offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementColleagues should be valued on what they bring to the table and not who they know.

Great Values, So-So Culture

Manager (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsOffers many classes and workshops for personal improvement. (i.e. Personal Finance with Pete the Planner, Health and Wellness classes, Leadership development, Fitness bootcamps, etc...) Frontline and middle management staff really seem to get along, enjoy each others company and truly want to help each other.

ConsNo long term strategy, every decision and goal is short term focused, which is very concerning for the longevity of this company. Nearly all Director and VP openings are filled by external candidates, so promotion from within only goes so far. CEO is absentee.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour not doing a good enough job on training and developing your managers to do the job you want them to do. Leadership training is great, but job skills training would be nice also.

Worked for Defender Direct? Contribute to the Community!