Defenders of Wildlife

Updated Feb 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jamie Rappaport Clark

Good people, but save the world with meetings

Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood people, especially the field staff I worked with, and people are committed to the mission. I had a fantastic boss in the field conservation program. I learned a lot about the issues and was given lots of opportunities to learn, take on responsibilities, travel (due to my job duties). I was given credit for my work in a very positive way.

ConsA decent amount of inefficiency and sluggishness at HQ. Save the world "one meeting at a time." I heard some complaints about politics "up high" in the organization but didn't experience them directly. I expected more camaraderie in DC but sometimes it felt lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency about some of the tough staffing decisions that were made.

A place with some great people and noble purpose but that has lost its way in terms of fighting for wildlife.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe organization has a strong purpose and especially its state offices know how to make great judgments about the next big things in activism.

Consmicromanagement is an impediment to technology and online work that can revolutionize this business.

Unhappy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSolid benefits for a small nonprofit. Great location in downtown DC. Decent 9 - 5 job with friendly staff.

ConsNot a lot of room for growth or opportunity. This isn't a great environment for those who are interested in the world.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to get to know your staff and be more in the loop with what's going on

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

wildfire

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWildlife is at your doorstep with visits from SeaWorld Busch Gardens rescue animals and lectures from scientists.

ConsThe core values conflict with messaging the membership.

"Just go work for Sierra Club. You'll like it a lot better."

Finance Coordinator (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Prosif you are in programs or science, but even then they misappropriate their funds

Consmean people, bad managers, 2 to 1 manager to laborer ratio, high turnover rate, incompetent employees. most people at Defenders are just waiting to find a better job in the same field at WWF, Greenpeace, Sierra Club, or some other environmental or conservation non-profit. the membership and development departments are totally over inflated, administration is terrible, financial statements are shady and some are outright lies. the president is out of touch and needs to retire.

Advice to Senior Managementexpand maternity leave, trust your employees until you have reason not to, do not condescend to laborers, lower your salary

Great organization with skilled management, but advancement is difficult.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDefenders of Wildlife offers decent compensation and a generous employee benefit plan,

ConsMobility within the organization is limited. Staff in field offices have second-class status compared to staff in the D.C. headquarters.

Worked for Defenders of Wildlife? Contribute to the Community!