Defense Contract Management Agency

Updated April 11, 2015
62 reviews filtered by
3.4
CEO

Pros
  • Lots of upward mobility, Great atmosphere, good work-life balance opportunity (in 9 reviews)

• Good work life balance, benefits and work schedules (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, very limited opportunities for advancement (in 2 reviews)

• The Atlanta QA office has little regard for your career advancement as they only focus on their respective mission (in 2 reviews)

1. Sr QA Engineer/Test Coordinator

I have been working at Defense Contract Management Agency

Pros

Loved working there. Great place great people.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about DCMA.

2. Industrial Engineer

Former Employee - Industrial Engineer GS-7 in Port Hueneme, CA
    Former Employee - Industrial Engineer GS-7 in Port Hueneme, CA

I worked at Defense Contract Management Agency

Pros

The salary was terrific. The medical and dental benefits were outstanding.

Cons

I had no office. I had a computer in the conference room. Very bad. No communication between team members. They relied solely on email which can be faulty if you miss reading a message.

Advice to Management

Be more open to open communication. Be more team-oriented.

3. DCMA

Current Employee - CSS
    Current Employee - CSS

I have been working at Defense Contract Management Agency full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Get to telework three days a week

Cons

Traveling three weeks a month

5. Run

Former Employee - Industrial Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Industrial Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Defense Contract Management Agency full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Annual leave and sick leave are just about the only good parts of working for the government. It was by far the worst employer I have ever worked for.

Cons

There are far too many to list here. The phrase "good enough for government work," doesn't even come close to how ridiculous this agency is.

Advice to Management

I have no advice. I am only happy that I got out of there before I went insane. I will never go back and absolutely never recommend it to anyone.

6. DCMA - A Good Place to Get DAWIA Certified

Current Employee - GS-12 General Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - GS-12 General Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Defense Contract Management Agency

Pros

- Supervisors support new employees in getting their DAWIA certifications
    - Lots of fascinating technology
    - A good place to learn about the largest, most complex of government acquisitions: weapons systems

Cons

- can be very hierarchical, with front-line management and upper management very much removed from the work that is expected to be produced by the GS-12 engineers and contracts personnel
    - don't sign a Telework Agreement.
    - limited potential to move up within a given location.

Advice to Management

Make the management of the agency more "project oriented", less hierarchical.

Fair, federal agency that is forward-looking

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Defense Contract Management Agency full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've worked with DoD before but DCMA seemed more forward-thinking. It's IT policies were more sensible, it sought to be a paperless office and in many instances accomplished that. Pay was on the GS scale, so there's little room for complaint- you know what you're getting when you get into bed with them.

Cons

The telecommute policy was drastically changed while I was there, from requiring in office presence only 2 days out of 10 to an increased 8 days out of 10.

Advice to Management

I know at least two senior analysts who accepted the position with the telecommute then in place as a given. It was a shame to change the deal on them after their acceptance and not at a logical break point (e.g. annual review, fiscal year, calendar year)

8. Dissatisfied and disappointed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Defense Contract Management Agency

Pros

If you like a slow paced environment, with no accountability, this is the place for you.

Cons

Current functional structure is not properly aligned with organization's objectives. There is no communication among the different teams. Teams don't understand all the functions or how they interrelate. One team does not know what the other team does or does not do.

Advice to Management

To create an atmosphere of constant accountability. Lack of accountability causes slippage and prevents effective team work and collaboration. Current leadership does not send a strong message from the top, and has created lack of trust and confidence among team members, it turned into frustration.

9. Below Average Federal Agency

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in New Cumberland, PA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in New Cumberland, PA

I have been working at Defense Contract Management Agency full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very Flexible Work Schedules, Plenty of vacation and sick time, decent salary, stability, veteran friendly Agency, great work/Life balance

Cons

Very Limited upward mobility, some unprofessional managers...notice I didn't say leaders. Sub standard training for the value of the contracts that we administer. Unprofessional appearance is the norm at many locations. Internally focused on metrics. The big picture is lost but hey....some clowns have built a top heavy empire.

Advice to Management

Hire leaders and not the next federal schlub waiting for THEIR 13 or 14. Disgusted. Administer a professional writing exam before presenting an offer in management.

10. Great Job

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Defense Contract Management Agency

Pros

Low stress, Plenty of training opportunities

Cons

None so far, hopefully only blue skies and rainbows await me.

11. Good company dedicated to ensuring quality products are delivered to the Government on time.

I have been working at Defense Contract Management Agency full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employees have the opportunity to have positive impact on multiple programs of great importance to the defense of the United States. The workforce is, for the most part, dedicated to public service.

Cons

It is a very centrally controlled organization. It is also heavy on metrics evaluating internal performance as opposed to external, which most customers would care about.

Advice to Management

Focus more on your external customers assessment of your performance versus your internal assessment of your performance. Current leadership is doing a very good job of shifting the organization's focus toward their external customers.

Defense Contract Management Agency Photos