Deibel Laboratories Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Charles Deibel

A good job to be used as a stepping stone, not very much room for growth

I have been working at Deibel Laboratories

Pros

The people are great, the health insurance is paid for by the company, and that's about it.

Cons

Ancient payment system (no direct deposit), lots of clerical errors, poor work schedule (10 to 6:30 if not later), no review process and infrequent raises.

Advice to Management

Give reviews so employees know what to work on and feel valued, stop accepting shipments at the end of day to limit workdays that end at 7 or later.

Good starting job

I worked at Deibel Laboratories

Pros

Ok job for entry level position right out of college.

Cons

No direct deposit seems a little antiquated.

3. Technician

Former Employee - Lab Tech I/Microbiologist in Twin Falls, ID
    Former Employee - Lab Tech I/Microbiologist in Twin Falls, ID

I worked at Deibel Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot more than could ever be possible in school, willing to teach anything not just hiring robots. People are great as well as upper management, caring and flexible schedule. Great benefits including families

Cons

If you can't handle high stress situations and long hours this is not for you, if you just want a 40hr week and paycheck go elsewhere. If your looking to jump start a REAL career this is a great place for that!!!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great new training initiatives and the employee engagement, this is great and has a very positive impact on the employees

Run! Especially any potential clients!

Former Employee - Microbiology Lab Technician in Lincolnwood, IL
    Former Employee - Microbiology Lab Technician in Lincolnwood, IL

I worked at Deibel Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You never see any upper management. Free insurance.

Cons

Everything is bad. They only stay in business by undercutting testing prices constantly which means the employees continue to pay for that by having to work longer and with few resources. It is a never ending circle of ridiculous business practices. Proper training is haphazard, thrown together to meet quality requirements, mistakes are rampant and just covered up to keep clients. Working conditions are somewhat dangerous to be honest, people don't want another 15 hour day so they cut corners and upper management knows it but does nothing to alleviate the problem. They just call them bad apples and constantly fire and hire. If they would spend a quarter of their revenue to seriously get into the HR, employee, resource issues in their labs they might be ok but instead they are just unethical and cannot afford new equipment or even to pay their bills on-time. I feel sorry for the lab managers that constantly have to deal with the creditors calling and having to clean the lab after a 15 hour day because they won't hire the proper cleaning company. After talking with the president and some of his previous suck ups, I can tell you they wrote all of the positive reviews. First of all he asked them to and second I can tell by the way they are written and the 'cons' that were written that he himself did some so take that into consideration if you are on the fence. But they know recent grads just need a job and so their revolving door of bad business, sketchy science and improper way to treat employees will be sustainable for them. Maybe the only hope is that a client will one day see what really goes on their and be the whistleblower.

Advice to Management

None, they wouldn't listen anyway.

6. Good Job straight out of college

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Lincolnwood, IL
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Lincolnwood, IL

I have been working at Deibel Laboratories full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

decent pay for a college grad, experience gained in the food safety industry

Cons

No leadership, No recognition and no assesment whatsoever was let go right before my three months without any warning. Lots of favoritism. I would say take this position if you do not have any other choice.

Best year of my career!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnwood, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnwood, IL

I have been working at Deibel Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got promoted quickly. Work is varied and interesting. Being an intelligent and innovative thinker is actually supported here. You are expected to work hard but if you are willing to work hard and smart then you can advance quickly. Company doesn't just value experience and a pricey education (those don't hurt). But instead, management ultimately promotes people based on demonstrated ability and drive. We do have a lot of young people who complain that things aren't handed to them on a silver platter. They fail to see that if they applied themselves they could get promoted to positions that they could never get at another company (for not having the seniority or something like that). This has been a great opportunity. Paid health insurance is nice since that is increasingly less common in today's job market.

Cons

The financial system is archaic! Our industry has really tight margins so no automatic raises (you have work hard and get promoted instead). Clients can be very demanding and there can be a lot of pressure and tension as a result. This is not a 40 hour/week job. Expect to work longer hours.

Advice to Management

Fix the Finance Department. Other departments are moving forward why are you letting that Department lag so far behind?

8. alright, but get experience and keep it moving

Former Employee - Lab Tech
    Former Employee - Lab Tech

I worked at Deibel Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is pretty cool, and good lab experience

Cons

get paid semi-monthly, feels like forever to get paid.

9. Lab Tech Experience

Current Employee - Microbiology Lab Tech in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Microbiology Lab Tech in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at Deibel Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good platform for starting out -good training -fast pace/you don't get bored -nice people lots to learn if you stay for 1+ years, you can learn all about the lab and food side of things The managers work very very hard so its hard to slack off, they even show up in the dead of winter when all roads are closed and work a full day.

Cons

first year is a lot of work you should live near the lab since the winters can be challenging with coming into work (and yes, management expects you there even during the worst snow season and management will be there right beside you) paid overtime is good, but very busy at times. Hard to do after work activities during the busy season

Advice to Management

I don't know my managers on a personal level, only through work and I think they are pretty awesome. Hard working, helpful, and always willing to help out on bench. They are great. I wish however, I had a more set schedule.

One of the few TRUTHFUL reviews on here.

I worked at Deibel Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid Healthcare, Great way to get experiance

Cons

-Overly long hours, regularly worked 12+ hour days year round, I don't know what this busy season is that other reviewers have talked about but because of our labs severe under-staffing we worked 12+ hours daily. -President has the "customer is always right" attitude to an extreme. Client wants results by midnight then someone has to be there to give it to them. Samples being sent and will get to the lab at 9pm. Then they must be set up that day. Clients sending samples in the middle of a snow/ice storm. Risk the employees life and make sure that they are there when the rest of the city is shut down. -Annual raises not given as promised. Have been told that employees worked too many overtime hours to get annual raises. If we had more staff then overtime would not be as high. -No work/life ratio. All work and you better expect not to see your friends or family because you will be at work all the time. -Pay was mediocre. Less then average for jobs of the same quality. Little to no promotion opportunities unless someone from management quits or get fired. Then they will throw someone into the position with little to no training and then get mad when they are not doing things correctly. In all reality this is a great place to work if you want no life, semi-large paychecks, and want to get burnt out quickly.

Advice to Management

Stop having employees write reviews on here to say how great the company is to make yourself look better.

11. Hard work but worthwhile experience!

I worked at Deibel Laboratories full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a small family owned company with a huge influence in the food industry. High intelligence and willingness to learn new things are valued here, and since there are few layers of middle management, it is possible to participate in high level technical projects and interact with clients in a meaningful way if that is your goal. I learned a great deal about practical microbiology and even more about the ins and outs of the food industry than I would have believed possible in <5 years. It was a constant challenge but I felt like I was shaping my own career here. I was never bored or underutilized, there was always something going on to add to my professional skills. Other pros: Fully covered health insurance for spouse and dependants. Retirement plan. Profit sharing.

Cons

The work is very fast paced and stressful and frustrating at times. The food industry is so cost competitive that there's little room for profit at contract labs, therefore equipment and building upgrades were hard to come by, as was temp labor in busy seasons. When I was employed there, payroll and billing systems were out of date.

RSS Feed </> Embed