Deibel Laboratories Reviews

Lab Tech Experience

Current Employee - Microbiology Lab Tech  in  Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Microbiology Lab Tech in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at Deibel Laboratories full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Good platform for starting out
    -good training
    -fast pace/you don't get bored
    -nice people
    lots to learn if you stay for 1+ years, you can learn all about the lab and food side of things
    The managers work very very hard so its hard to slack off, they even show up in the dead of winter when all roads are closed and work a full day.

Cons

first year is a lot of work
    you should live near the lab since the winters can be challenging with coming into work (and yes, management expects you there even during the worst snow season and management will be there right beside you)
    paid overtime is good, but very busy at times. Hard to do after work activities during the busy season

I don't know my managers on a personal level, only through work and I think they are pretty awesome. Hard working, helpful, and always willing to help out on bench. They are great. I wish however, I had a more set schedule.

One of the few TRUTHFUL reviews on here.

I worked at Deibel Laboratories full-time for more than a year

Pros

Paid Healthcare, Great way to get experiance

Cons

-Overly long hours, regularly worked 12+ hour days year round, I don't know what this busy season is that other reviewers have talked about but because of our labs severe under-staffing we worked 12+ hours daily.
    -President has the "customer is always right" attitude to an extreme. Client wants results by midnight then someone has to be there to give it to them. Samples being sent and will get to the lab at 9pm. Then they must be set up that day. Clients sending samples in the middle of a snow/ice storm. Risk the employees life and make sure that they are there when the rest of the city is shut down.
    -Annual raises not given as promised. Have been told that employees worked too many overtime hours to get annual raises. If we had more staff then overtime would not be as high.
    -No work/life ratio. All work and you better expect not to see your friends or family because you will be at work all the time.
    -Pay was mediocre. Less then average for jobs of the same quality.
    Little to no promotion opportunities unless someone from management quits or get fired. Then they will throw someone into the position with little to no training and then get mad when they are not doing things correctly.
    In all reality this is a great place to work if you want no life, semi-large paychecks, and want to get burnt out quickly.

Stop having employees write reviews on here to say how great the company is to make yourself look better.

Hard work but worthwhile experience!

I worked at Deibel Laboratories full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a small family owned company with a huge influence in the food industry. High intelligence and willingness to learn new things are valued here, and since there are few layers of middle management, it is possible to participate in high level technical projects and interact with clients in a meaningful way if that is your goal. I learned a great deal about practical microbiology and even more about the ins and outs of the food industry than I would have believed possible in <5 years. It was a constant challenge but I felt like I was shaping my own career here. I was never bored or underutilized, there was always something going on to add to my professional skills.

Other pros: Fully covered health insurance for spouse and dependants. Retirement plan. Profit sharing.

Cons

The work is very fast paced and stressful and frustrating at times. The food industry is so cost competitive that there's little room for profit at contract labs, therefore equipment and building upgrades were hard to come by, as was temp labor in busy seasons. When I was employed there, payroll and billing systems were out of date.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall Experience

I worked at Deibel Laboratories full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Good Health Benefits
    -nice coworkers
    -given more responsibility to "prove yourself" which makes the job interesting
    -good starting job
    -good experience to have under your belt

Cons

-long hours during the busy season
    -lots of standing
    -First few months of training is very hard and long hours are required initially (but once you get past that you are golden).

I had/still have a great relationship with management. My managers were so supportive of my goals and needs. I wanted to "grow" with the company but there really wasn't much mobility so I took a different career path. Both my managers gave me a good reference so that I could move forward with my career. I will be forever grateful for the experience. It was a good resume builder. You have to work very hard though, it was not always easy. I don't mind standing all day, so this I can see how this job would be very very hard for someone who isn't use to labor intensive jobs.

I learned a lot!

Former Employee - Lab Tech I/Microbiologist
    Former Employee - Lab Tech I/Microbiologist

I worked at Deibel Laboratories full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free Health Insurance
    Great employees (fun atmosphere)
    upward mobility / great stepping stone for a career in the food industry or other lab industries
    very knowledgeable upper management. If you have any questions, they are very helpful and good resources
    overall the company really cares about the quality of the work and really emphasize providing service to their clients
    They will be verbal references for other jobs if you leave and the company wont be punitive if you say you are leaving.

Cons

The hours can be long at times and vary from day to day. My manager however was really good about letting us take time off or leave work early if needed.
    Reimbursements for travel can sometimes take a while to get back, but they also paid my interest on my credit card, so that was good.

Continue offering the trainings and lectures by your technical people, especially about current Industry trends. They were not on a set schedule. It would be nice if some of these "on the fly" lectures were more formalized.

Management

Former Employee - Quality Manager
    Former Employee - Quality Manager

I worked at Deibel Laboratories full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited overtime, paid 100% for health insurance, could pretty much take any day off you wanted to. Great place for recent grad with no family and who doesn't want a life.

Cons

Pretty much required to work 60+ hour work weeks, no help from upper management/corporate, company is unorganized, no raises as promised, health insurance not filed in a timely manor.

Listen more to your management within the lab level, employ more people for your labs so the ones that work there are not as overworked, preform annual reviews of employees so they know what to expect.

Don't work here!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Deibel Laboratories full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Health insurance paid for

Cons

-Overworked, underpaid and under appreciated
    -Quantity over quality attitude
    -incompetent upper management
    -president does not care whatsoever about his employees.
    -lack of new technology. Stuck on using mostly traditional methods.

The owner noticed some of the negative reviews on here and "encouraged" some employees to post better reviews. As you can see, the dates on the positive reviews are very close to each other (Not a coincidence). This company won't last long as there are much better food labs in the area.

Stepping stone for recent grad

Former Employee - Microbiology Lab Tech  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Microbiology Lab Tech in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Deibel Laboratories full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a great place to work for if you're fresh out of college as they're willing to hire and train recent graduates. You gain the professional lab experience that other companies are looking for.

Cons

Overworking the people who actually get the job done. Laziness is overwhelmingly overlooked by management as "just someone's personality". There is no opportunity for growth, career advancement, promotion or raises.

There are several workers who leave because they feel unheard. I would suggest a quarterly survey to assess management and lab locations.

Decent job for a recent grad

Current Employee - Microbiology Lab Tech  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Microbiology Lab Tech in Madison, WI

I have been working at Deibel Laboratories full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the people who currently work there. Management is nice enough. Free health insurance & affordable dental provided.

Cons

Must work some weekends and holidays. They've been talkinng about renovating the lab since i started, and very little progress has come of that. Corporate recently took away paid breaks. From talking with coworkers, raises seem to come quite infrequently.

Best Career Choice

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Twin Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Twin Falls, ID

I have been working at Deibel Laboratories full-time

Pros

Caring work environment, Understanding managment team and great leadership structure. The benefits are great. The work ethic of the company is great, an employee can take pride in their work as well as know that the training and proceedures are accurate and follow the accreditation requirements. Opportunity to move up and advancement into managment positions, based on knowlege and work ethics. This company puts the needs and best interest of the clients first.

Cons

No direct deposit but paychecks are always on time.

Leadership is great, keep up the good work! It is great working for a company where an employee can comfortably ask questions or bring concerns to Charles or the corporate team and they are addressed right away!

Worked for Deibel Laboratories? Contribute to the Community!