Del Frisco's Restaurant Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark S. Mednansky

DFRG

ProsExciting company to work for. A few egos to deal with, but it is part of the culture of the business and the customers. They value their employees, especially in the restaurants, above all else. Operationally, there are some core issues and systems that need to be structured better. However, the scrappy, boastful, yet humble approach can have its perks too.

ConsWork life balance. Lack in consistency of direction or authority. Squeaky wheels get greased without perfomance.

Eye-opening experience, good and bad.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsTraining is so so. It just depends on the store. Great insurance. Learned a lot about the food industry while working there. I also met many people from all walks of life.

ConsPay isn't aligned with knowledge, experience, and seniority. Prepare to be deceived when trying to move into management. They'll try and make you believe that there's hope for you when there's really not. Even when you have the talent, managerial, and people skills to exceed expectations. Favoritism is definitely shown to unqualified employees. Turnover rate is high because they don't treat they're employees with respect. Also, give steady schedules. There is no reason to go from working 3 days to 6 days then 4 within a months time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive everyone a fair chance at getting promoted. Value the employees that you have. Increasing a pay rate to a couple of dollars more from when an employee first begin to a few years later is unacceptable. Especially when the begin pay was already low. Overall, they get 2 stars and that's only because of their great insurance.

Great pay, great benefits

New York, NY

ProsPlace is very busy and high price point, makes for a profitable waitress job

ConsVery physically demanding, guests an management demanding

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Really fun place to work, great structure and hospitality

ProsAlmost all staff is really nice and knowledgeable...pay is great around holiday season

Consmanagement thinks they are better than all of their employees..they talk down to staff

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with new hires and don't promise them promotions just to fill a hostessing position

Friendly environment, good management support

ProsWork life balance, friendly management

ConsCan't think of any, generally good experience

Steak house trying their fortune at the Stock Market, leaving their values behind that made them great at one time.

Chef (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsLine level employees make this chain restaurant successful, not the vision of upper or middle management

ConsHarsh management styles, no appreciation for the "human" factor that keeps these restaurants running, too much focus on bottom line and greedy

Advice to Senior ManagementThorough assessment of each restaurant needed to weed out management that under-perform.

Happy for the fine dining experience but never want to work there ever again.

Server (Former Employee)

ProsHigh tabs, high-end clientele, great benefits if you can last working there for 2 years. Wine class was amazing and opportunities to pursue sommelier certification.

ConsExtremely sexist still, male waiters are almost always given the better parties/tables. Management does not care about how they treat you. Requested off Easter 2 months in advance and still had to work with 30 other servers (constantly overstaffed) and only had 11 covers in a 9 hour shift (also male coworkers who requested off much later than I had received the day off). They tried to always make me work in the bar area because I am attractive female (Where's my 15 top that I can get 3 magnums on??). It was nearly impossible to get coworkers to come all the way across the restaurant to help me swarm and run food.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the old school thinking. When I was there the majority of the female waitstaff were single working moms. How are they supposed to feed their kids when you blatantly deny them bigger sections? It wasn't like they were incapable, everyone goes through the same rigorous training program with promise of a big payday. Out of every female I worked with, I can only think of one who could not handle it and did not deserve a good section.

Great Experiences!

Server (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsThe money is great, not to mention that the clientele is the best that I have worked with in 5 years of serving. I get plenty of hours (usually 35/wk) and my general manager takes a personal interest in all the servers.

ConsMy only real complaint is that there isn't an automatic gratuity on large parties and the parking situation blows.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you double-check floor charts to make sure all scheduled servers have a place on the floor.

A very corporate restaurant group, strict training and expectations for servers

Washington, DC

ProsThings are done very by the book- if you work well in this type of atmosphere a serving gig with the DFRG may be perfect for you! Management tends to be on the young side which can be a double edged sword for FOH staff. In the same vein-organization is good because positions and expectations are very streamlined. Huge name recognition will always bring guests in, no matter the locale. Social media presence. Large marketing team stratified by region. Provides healthcare benefits to all staff, which is huge in the service industry. Also on a weekly pay schedule which is a plus in large cities. Uniforms in the Grill concept could def use some work. They are consistently opening new Grill and Double Eagle concepts, a showing that the corporation is alive and well, and allowing for the company to get sought after lease properties for its restaurants.

ConsThe corporate culture is both an pro and a con. The menus are corporate, even the wine list, so changes that may make sense for a single restaurant location will have to go all the way to upper level management and all the way back down again to get approved.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

great company in the restaurant business

Bartender (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Prosgood benefits including 401K and health insurance. you must work for the company for four years to be vested, but they match 50%.

Consmy store has become pure sales driven. it's all the GM thinks about and is willing to hurt his staff in order to get more sales numbers.

Worked for Del Frisco's Restaurant Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Del Frisco's Restaurant Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Del Frisco's Restaurant Group CEO Mark S. Mednansky. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Del Frisco's Restaurant Group employees.