Del Frisco's Restaurant Group Reviews

3.5
Mark S. Mednansky

1. Great Benefits

I worked at Del Frisco's Restaurant Group full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great people, great salary, great crestaurant

Cons

Long demanding hours, no work life balance

Exceptional

Current Employee - Dining Room Manager
    Current Employee - Dining Room Manager

I have been working at Del Frisco's Restaurant Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love it. I started serving and have been a manager 5 years. Exceptional communication between the home office and the stores. Great feedback- bonus structure and ample recognition of hard work. The restaurant business is tough, and I would not be in this industry for any other company. Good work/life balance (for the biz).

Cons

None that are controllable. The odd hours/ weekends/ holidays are standard for the industry and can hardly be counted against the company. Close early on some holidays and later on others. It's all pretty fair.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Great culture. I always feel respected even when I'm being driven to do better.

3. Good pay, good people

Current Employee - Server in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Server in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Del Frisco's Restaurant Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, lots of potential to move up a and good money.

Cons

Long hours, competitive pay, training is the worst week of your life

Advice to Management

Positive feedback is a wonderful motivator

5. Server

Former Employee - Server in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Server in New York, NY

I worked at Del Frisco's Restaurant Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good money for the restaurant industry in an environment staffed with excellent people. A machine of a restaurant that is in the 1% of covers handled and total sales without a doubt.

Cons

Working culture promoted as one of integrity and family, but in reality employment here is cheap. People will be fired regularly, and some others just can't handle it.

Advice to Management

They would be better off by easing up on the "culture" and just be honest about what it is: a cutthroat restaurant environment with better than average tips. Their stance comes off as hypocritical more often than not.

6. Quality of life needs improvement

Pros

-Health Benefits and 401K are unbeatable
    -Culture (guest experience) at DFRG is one of the best I've encountered
    -Room for growth or involvement in companies expansion

Cons

-Upper level management involvement is lacking-- Growing too fast to keep up with demands of current locations needs
    -Balance of PTO vs. time worked in a week/month
    -Management reviews are non-existant

Advice to Management

There are a lot of needs that go unmet, and significant voices not heard, pushing quality employees (staff and management) out the door because of the rapid expansion. Senior managers seem to be stretched too thin for meaningful involvement.

Don't Do It

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Del Frisco's Restaurant Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits! Health care and 401K is rare for a restaurant job. Makes you want to stay, health care is free after 2 years, and 401K has 50% matching.

Cons

So many I can't focus on just one.. This job is not for you if you need a work/life balance. Any time off given will equal twice the hours in "payback". This is a "boy's club". All promotions are given to the males, all the best stations are given to the males, the cocktail shifts (where the ladies are harassed by drunk patrons) are no money shifts and are never staffed by the males. Although the men are dressed professionally, the ladies are required to wear skirts, nylons, scoop neck shirts, and HEELS. That's right - an inch and a half heel is a requirement of the uniform. Male management needs to try walking on marble and kitchen floors in heels for a double shift to feel our pain. Oh, and try stocking shelves, walking up stairs, picking anything up, or climbing a ladder in that skirt and see how you feel. Get with the 21st century and let your ladies wear pants and proper footwear. Any small guest complaint will result in a write up or termination - never mind what your side of the story was or whether they were looking for a discount. It would be nice to be able to do your job without the constant fear that the shift may be your last.

Advice to Management

Praise in Public, Admonish in Private. I don't know how many time I heard that preached, but it is hardly ever practiced. Because of this, the staff knows everyone's dirty laundry, but good service is hardly ever acknowledged. Your FEED recognition is a joke- management were the only ones wearing pins for the first year. Like they needed to pat themselves on the back. Servers of the month and FEED should be staff voted. Most of your staff knows what goes on when management isn't area. That "perfect" server who gets all the recognition is really a slacker who goes into kiss butt mode when management is around.

8. Server

Current Employee - Server in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Server in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Del Frisco's Restaurant Group

Pros

Fun, fast paced environment, with oppurtuity for growth. Flexible hours, and decent money depending on location and restaurant devision.

Cons

Corporate environment, and micromanagement heavy. Have to say a spiel to every table, trying to upsell at every chance, can get a little used car sales-ish.

Advice to Management

Be present more often. More proactive. And hire more expeirenced people. Bad hires really hurt the team and there seems to be too many of them.

spend more time doing sidework than serving tables #freelabor

Current Employee - Server in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Server in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Del Frisco's Restaurant Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

promote within often. amazing co workers. big earning potential.

Cons

Management is patronizing and go on huge power trips. They don't communicate to each other which leaves you being told contradicting things every day. Also be prepared to do at least 2 hours of sidework a shift, more if you are an opener. Very inefficient overall. even good managers admit its extremely hard to make beneficial changes because of the internal politics of the company.

Advice to Management

give lower management a little more freedom. stop over scheduling staff. hire polishers every night of the week.

10. Horrible

Former Employee - Host/Server in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Host/Server in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Del Frisco's Restaurant Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Their training process systematically breaks down a genre of fine dining that is extremely thorough. I felt well educated on fine dining and salesmanship of associated goods once I had completed the two week process.
    I know individuals who have done quite well at Sullivan's, and saved good money. I know many more who were not so lucky.

Cons

I would discourage any female from working for this company, unless you have really thick skin. Management deliberately tried to sabotage me, rather than tell me that I was not a good fit for their company. They did this by triple seating me with parties that were not in my section and not personally informing me (as is required according to training literature), and belittling me and telling me I was not following proper protocol for large parties, then blaming me for not following proper procedure after I followed their directions explicitly.
    In addition, I was sexually harassed by my male coworkers, one who copped a feel, and three that cyber harrassed me. I did not feel safe to report any incidents because I was told by multiple coworkers that when an incident is reported, both the individual being investigated, and the one that has filed the complaint, are typically both fired.

Advice to Management

There is something seriously wrong with your culture at Sullivan's.

They are employee focused!

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Del Frisco's Restaurant Group

Pros

They offer great benefits for their employees. Even part time employees. They also give free family meals to the employees before each shift.

Cons

Management can be super up tight. They expect perfection and if you make even the smallest mistake it isn't pretty. However, they can make mistakes and have no repercussions.

Advice to Management

Don't sit so high on your horse. We are all human. All of us make mistakes. Rewards those who work hard and encourage your employees rather than discouraging them.

RSS Feed </> Embed