Delaware North Companies

Delaware North Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Delaware North Companies Chairman & CEO Jeremy M. Jacobs

Jeremy M. Jacobs

Pros
  • Good work/life balance as long as you're not a supervisor or higher (company is strict on overtime)(in 4 reviews)

• Great pay, beautiful venues and facilities(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management likes to micro-manage, and rarely asks for employee input(in 8 reviews)

• Hard work, long hours but well worth the effort(in 7 reviews)

I didn't stay long.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsI enjoyed the network of support from the management team.

ConsWe should have had more Leigh way to pay the hourly employees a higher wage, if we had paid more, we probably would have had a lower turnover.

DNC is a large, privately owned company with opportunities for growth and a difficult corporate culture.

Area Retail Manager (Former Employee) Yosemite National Park, CA

ProsOpportunities to work in amazing places nationally and a high potential for upward growth.

ConsPoor work-life balance and the CEO is extremely disrespectful of the employees at every level.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider working for one of the Parks and Resorts division properties where cost of living is very low but salaries are competitive.

Loved it

Retail Cashier (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Prosgreat pay
    flexible hours
    awesome people to work with
    how can't you not like to work at target field

ConsCan end up being long nights on game days, not a much room for movement that i have noticed yet.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

cook

Cook (Former Employee) East Rutherford, NJ

ProsI love working for this companie

ConsYou work almost every weekend during season which i did not like

I had a great experience working at Delaware North

Retail Sales (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsThe hours are flexible for people that need the flexibility for a second job.

ConsHours are long, for a person that may have a primary job.

What an experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGain experience working for upper management, learn the behind the scenes concepts of what makes an event successful

ConsLow salary, no overtime, or benefits

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGrowth, People, Work/Life Balance, Loyalty, Pay

ConsThere are not any cons

Server at Detroit Metro Airport

Server (Former Employee)

ProsThere is nothing beneficial about working for this company, unless you want to brown nose management.

ConsThis is the worst company to work for. They let people go for honest mistakes but yet others get away with everything! Very disorganized and use inconsistent practices with in the company, policies apply to who they like and dislike.

Advice to Senior ManagementWere human same as you we make mistakes, no one is perfect

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great

Vendor (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGood atmosphere and you get to watch the Tigers play while you work

ConsUpper Management sometimes does too much

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ask for too much from your associates were human

Great Company to Work at for Living in Awesome Places and Meeting People from Around the World (Not So Great for Pay)

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Yellowstone National Park, WY

ProsDNC really did a good job creating a family atmosphere among the employees. The majority of my coworkers were really friendly and I enjoyed spending time with many of them on and off the clock. Store management was very "open door," and my immediate supervisors were responsive and also had a sense of humor. I really felt like part of a team. The HR department was easy to get a hold of and they were very helpful. My manager was flexible with scheduling, so I was able to plan some longer hikes and trips to nearby national parks around my work schedule. How demanding the job is really varies from store to store, so be sure to ask the HR person who interviews you for a more relaxed or fast-paced store depending on what you are looking for. I worked at Old Faithful Upper and it was super fast-paced, which is something I thrive in, but for some people it was more than they'd bargained for.

ConsThey only paid me $7/hour, before you count the money DNC took out of my paycheck for room and board, and the money the government took out for taxes, which brought it down to $4/hour. One day I looked at a bottle of sunscreen in the store and thought, "Damn, it will take me 2 hours of labor just to buy this." I kind of felt like they thought that they were giving us the privilege of living in Yellowstone in exchange for our labor. Living in Yellowstone was cool, but I thought I might make some money after working all summer. I pretty much broke even after paying for the gas and oil change to drive home. Even though I had a positive experience overall, this is why I would not recommend the employer to a friend (because I think my friends deserve to be paid decent wages).

Advice to Senior ManagementI know nothing can really be done at the level of store management, but people above that should consider paying better wages. The dirt-poor wages definitely did not give me much of an incentive to put my best effort into work when it got tough, and I am a very hard worker, so I bet this is harming your productivity in ways that you're not aware of.

Worked for Delaware North Companies? Contribute to the Community!