Delaware North Companies

Updated September 13, 2014
Updated September 13, 2014

Delaware North Companies Chairman & CEO Jeremy M. Jacobs
Jeremy M. Jacobs

Pros
  • Good work/life balance as long as you're not a supervisor or higher (company is strict on overtime) (in 4 reviews)

• pays well,good work environment,fast paced (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management likes to micro-manage, and rarely asks for employee input (in 8 reviews)

• Hard work, long hours but well worth the effort (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of room for mobility.

I have been working at Delaware North Companies

Pros

Company Perks
    Good culture
    Good training
    Excellent reputation
    Mobility

Cons

Very competitive work environment
    average pay

Life after the military at Delaware North Companies

Current Employee - Facilities Manager  in  Geneva, OH
    Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Geneva, OH

I have been working at Delaware North Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

First and foremost are the venues!!! National parks, professional sports, gaming, hotels and airports. The jobs are fast-paced and exciting. The pay and benefits are very competitive and there is an excellent internal network for advancement. My military background did not exactly match up 100% for the job, but my leadership skills, ability to adapt and work ethic were enough, everything else I learned very quickly.

Cons

For the most part its not 9-5 or Monday through Friday. Some places are seasonal, therefore retaining top quality people can be challenging. Unlike the military where there unlimited budgets, personnel and resources, the private sector has limitations.

Do a better job of promoting DNC, before I started working here I had no idea who we were. Even after 3 years, when I explain my job and DNC, people don't always understand, manage or own??? Need an internal network within my division for products, ie best bar dishwasher is ????, top 3 showerheads????? etc.

Review

I have been working at Delaware North Companies for more than 3 years

Pros

Large company all over the US and world.

Cons

Its not what you know or how hard you work most of.the.time its all.about who you know, especially in the Northeast and.its not right.and.un-American.

People who have been with the company 5 years that work.hard are intellegent.and have the.desire to move info a higher position of responsibility and.authority sh ok uld be given that opportunity.and.should be given the opportunity.to learn and.grow into the leader they.can be. People like that.should not be stuck towards the bottom with the capabilities.they possess. This isnt just.a.job.its a.career and.a big part of my life.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Middle management a mess

Former Employee - Assistant Manager II
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager II

I worked at Delaware North Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Learned many different areas, saw opportunities to move around the country to other locations. Always a new situation to learn from.

Cons

Conflicts with union matters were not always handled well. Training of staff was usually not sufficient. Somewhat of a Boys Club in upper tier management at a job site.

Too many levels of management at a location, all on a different page, making it hard to do your job properly

Not employee friendly

I worked at Delaware North Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working conditions were ok. 401k plan was very good. Equipment and condition of facilities were adequate. Shifts were good, very little flexibility but not much Overtime, did not over work the employees.

Cons

Constant turnover caused by poor management. Worked in a department where we were asked to do things that at times crossed the line of ethical. Pay scale was VERY low compared to other companies. Constant change of rules, and the way policies were applied to employees was not consistent

Take care of your employees, quit changing the rules of the game in the middle. Consistent use of policy across all lines would have been a great idea. Do not think that upper management is in touch with the workers.

Food Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Food and Beverage Manager  in  Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Food and Beverage Manager in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Delaware North Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people, fun atmosphere. Many growth opportunities for those who work hard and are willing to arrive early, and stay late.

Cons

Sometimes the compensation was less than desired, a company that practices middle of the road compensation for sure.

Recognize your strong associates and give them a reason to stay.

Good Company

I have been working at Delaware North Companies part-time

Pros

Positive work enviorment family oriented

Cons

bad weather conditions at times

None needed

Yellowstone Nat Park - Employees treated bad.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Yellowstone National Park, WY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Yellowstone National Park, WY

I worked at Delaware North Companies as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Exploring Yellowstone National Park is great, 2 consecutive days off, make friends, seasonal work only

Cons

Management treats employees bad, overworks the older folks, split shifts

Treat employees better and they will return.

Dishwasher

Former Employee - Dish Washer  in  Orchard Park, NY
    Former Employee - Dish Washer in Orchard Park, NY

I worked at Delaware North Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Weekly Paycheck, Chance to meet the players

Cons

Bottom of the food chain, Long Hours, Not for everyone

Increase the pay wage

A lot of cons to this company, do not recommend

Current Employee - Corporate Drone  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Corporate Drone in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Delaware North Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company is involved in various areas of hospitality that can be exciting and fun to work.

Cons

The senior leadership team is horrible, so much politics that it explains why little progress is ever made to really grow the company. The company allows and enables senior leaders to be bullies in the workplace and to manage employees through intimidation. That style of management went out with the 80's so the company is drastically behind the times. You would think that a hundred year old company would be stable but way too many examples exist of senior leaders using reorganization as a way to get rid of those managers who dare speak up about the bad behaviors exhibited by senior leaders. There is no concrete strategic vision for the company so as hospitality becomes more and more competitive, this company is likely to get left in the dust.

The chairman should retire and let his sons take over, perhaps they'd have a more contemporary leadership style. Get rid of the entire senior leadership team and start over. Hold leaders accountable to being effective leaders and don't tolerate those who use bullying and scare tactics as leadership styles. Stop talking about how the company has family values, integrity and honesty and walking the talk -- require this of every single manager and leader in the company and don't settle for less.

Worked for Delaware North Companies? Contribute to the Community!