Delaware North Companies

Updated September 28, 2014
3.1

Delaware North Companies Chairman & CEO Jeremy M. Jacobs
Jeremy M. Jacobs

Pros
  • The location of the actual business, such as the concessions in Yosemite National Park, Sequoia National Park (in 10 reviews)

• Good work/life balance as long as you're not a supervisor or higher (company is strict on overtime) (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The old school culture of work hard with no work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Hard work, long hours but well worth the effort (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good On A Unit Level, Clunky On An Overall Level

Former Employee - IT ASSISTANT
    Former Employee - IT ASSISTANT

I worked at Delaware North Companies as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Company takes good care of its employees.
    Lots of expertise among the team.
    People stay at DNC for a long time

Cons

Company is so big, it takes forever to get anything accomplished.

Create value for the average, low wage employee, and you'll see your company soar to new heights.

Excellent company - Food Prep

Former Employee - Food Prep  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Food Prep in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Delaware North Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great hours 40+ , the pay was ok... union as well.... Got hired thru a job fair started 2weeks after

Cons

Lazy workers, Managers barely help their team they are no where to be found at times

Keep up the good work and help your team

Pretty good...wasn't any bad surprises.

Former Employee - Retail Supervisor  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Retail Supervisor in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Delaware North Companies part-time for less than a year

Pros

Part time hours that go along the baseball schedule. There aren't any surprise duties. It's basic retail (customer service, register, inventory etc) that you would expect. Nice discount on items in the team store and you get a free meal and drink every shift.

Cons

The pay isn't great. The heat can be a little extreme some days. They did an inventory check every month which seems unnecessary. There isn't really any room to grow within the company unless you are inside the little clicks or related to somebody.

The pay should be better for the amount of work required by the retail supervisors. They do the majority of the hands on work with the customers and retail associates. Overall I think it is an ok part time job, but it could be great with better pay and more opportunities for advancement.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of room for mobility.

I have been working at Delaware North Companies

Pros

Company Perks
    Good culture
    Good training
    Excellent reputation
    Mobility

Cons

Very competitive work environment
    average pay

Life after the military at Delaware North Companies

Current Employee - Facilities Manager  in  Geneva, OH
    Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Geneva, OH

I have been working at Delaware North Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

First and foremost are the venues!!! National parks, professional sports, gaming, hotels and airports. The jobs are fast-paced and exciting. The pay and benefits are very competitive and there is an excellent internal network for advancement. My military background did not exactly match up 100% for the job, but my leadership skills, ability to adapt and work ethic were enough, everything else I learned very quickly.

Cons

For the most part its not 9-5 or Monday through Friday. Some places are seasonal, therefore retaining top quality people can be challenging. Unlike the military where there unlimited budgets, personnel and resources, the private sector has limitations.

Do a better job of promoting DNC, before I started working here I had no idea who we were. Even after 3 years, when I explain my job and DNC, people don't always understand, manage or own??? Need an internal network within my division for products, ie best bar dishwasher is ????, top 3 showerheads????? etc.

They provide a job.

I have been working at Delaware North Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company provides benefits, and our department manager strongly believes in work-life balance.

Cons

You will never be promoted. Ever. The company believes in hiring external candidates before promoting in-house.

To many responsibilities and not enough staff.

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Victor, NY
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Victor, NY

I worked at Delaware North Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked at the Seneca Travel Plaza. The pay was reasonable, a bit over min. wage and after my promotion I was given a dollar raise. The company itself was beneficial for my family where when I needed time off, they'd be reasonable to bend the schedule.

Cons

Management itself is unreasonable when it comes to fitting the needs of the staff. Understaffed even during the busiest time. They promoted a employee to trainer where he didn't have any of the necessary people skills in order to fullfll his duties, two people quit because of his work attitude. Management often blames employees and vise versa instead of looking at the overall problem of being overworked and not enough support.

Talk to your employees and meet their needs as a whole. Don't allow upper management to make them feel like they need to meet unfair expectations. Lead by example; don't promote a rule or guideline and not follow it yourself. No cell phone policy? Get off your cell phone. More cleaning? Pick up a broom. Want employees to work harder? Be out there in the mess instead of on the sidelines.

Review

I have been working at Delaware North Companies for more than 3 years

Pros

Large company all over the US and world.

Cons

Its not what you know or how hard you work most of.the.time its all.about who you know, especially in the Northeast and.its not right.and.un-American.

People who have been with the company 5 years that work.hard are intellegent.and have the.desire to move info a higher position of responsibility and.authority sh ok uld be given that opportunity.and.should be given the opportunity.to learn and.grow into the leader they.can be. People like that.should not be stuck towards the bottom with the capabilities.they possess. This isnt just.a.job.its a.career and.a big part of my life.

Food Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Food and Beverage Manager  in  Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Food and Beverage Manager in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Delaware North Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people, fun atmosphere. Many growth opportunities for those who work hard and are willing to arrive early, and stay late.

Cons

Sometimes the compensation was less than desired, a company that practices middle of the road compensation for sure.

Recognize your strong associates and give them a reason to stay.

Good Company

I have been working at Delaware North Companies part-time

Pros

Positive work enviorment family oriented

Cons

bad weather conditions at times

None needed

Delaware North Companies Photos

Worked for Delaware North Companies? Contribute to the Community!