Delaware North

Updated January 25, 2015
3.3

Delaware North Chairman & CEO Jeremy M. Jacobs
Jeremy M. Jacobs

Pros
  • The location of the actual business, such as the concessions in Yosemite National Park, Sequoia National Park (in 11 reviews)

• Good work/life balance as long as you're not a supervisor or higher (company is strict on overtime) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Some really shady characters at upper management level and some really horrible units (in 9 reviews)

• Paid well but no loyalty to long standing management, No work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Pay was good

Former Employee - Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Austin, TX

I worked at Delaware North

Pros

pay was good, good perks

Cons

Long hours and lazy managers

help your supervisors more

Non equal workforce

I worked at Delaware North full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great atsmophere, flexable work shedule

Cons

no equality, seasonal, bad union

Great Company benefits are watching live games

Former Employee - Hostess in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Hostess in Boston, MA

I worked at Delaware North

Pros

You get to watch the games and concerts if your scheduled to work work during your shift. If your a sports fan you will love it. Even if your not a sports fan you will love it. Your manager might even give you a hook up for something special. They treat their employees well. Pay is ok for a part time job. Co-workers have very interesting personalities from all walks and types of life. They interview applicants that apply online and hire in person at their job fairs(Dress for what you want)! You do get a little discount on some family/kid shows that come to the garden only if the show performers authorize it! (Disney always does) They always do some type of employee appreciation events it felt like every other month !

Cons

You can't rent a sky box for free! No free tickets! No deep ticket discounts for every event.

NONE

While working for this company I developed many professional skills.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in East Rutherford, NJ
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in East Rutherford, NJ

I worked at Delaware North part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, relaxed environment
    Ideal for a sports fan
    Great Wage

Cons

Seasonal
    8 hours a week

Better training for new associates especially if they are going to be a cashier, due to the proper understanding of how to utilize the computer.

Inform new associates of what situations require a supervisor

Target Field Retail Associate

Current Employee - Retail Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Retail Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Delaware North part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun job, mostly good coworkers, fair pay, opportunity for advancement, management is very understanding and flexible.

Cons

Hours are not consistent, will not get scheduled for overtime, a few of the managers are too strict, employee discount only once a month.

Oversee all retail operations management.

Current Employee - Assistant Retail Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Retail Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Delaware North full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Schedule varies
    growth
    experience in sports field
    fun to work at

Cons

long hours
    work weekends/holidays
    monthly inventories
    not many days off
    Always on the clock

Don't do monthly inventories. This will save a tremendous amount of labor on the bottom line.

100% Negative

Former Employee - Legal Staff in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Staff in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Delaware North full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I hated it from Day 1.

Cons

I worked for the DNC Legal Department for six months and experienced nothing but bullying and harassment while working for the senior legal counsel at that time. He was one of the most horrible people I have ever met. It was such a negative experience that I left the legal field for over four years. It has been over 15 years since I worked there and it still has an impact on me.

None because they don't care.

Poor Management

I worked at Delaware North full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Preferred working for the sport's subsidiary over the gaming subsidiary. Better management overall.

Cons

Management will only look out for themselves and if they make a mistake they will throw someone else under the buss just so they don't get in trouble. Seen a handful of other management/entry level employees gets fired over something they had little to nothing to do with.

Does not promote internally, or promises promotion and then goes for less experienced external canidate so they can pay them less.

Find management that cares more about the company than themselves.

Be Cautious with this Company

Former Employee - Blacksmith in Yosemite Village, CA
    Former Employee - Blacksmith in Yosemite Village, CA

I worked at Delaware North

Pros

1) Housing
    2) Fun area
    3) Safe Area
    4) Neat People
    5) Possible resume building
    ...........Homeless or in bad area- great deal

6) Sportspersons can get their day in as nature people

Cons

This company is organized around the concept of chaos....

1) That is you will not know why or what is going on. They will tell you.
    2) Low of Rights, Diplomacy and Feedback if not Zero.
    3) Guile is nasty thing and you find that here
    4) This an (Alcoholics Paradise): 80% or so are heavy drinkers, proud alcoholics
    5) It is anti Leaning Environment ---Many People here though living for years in this wonder could not tell you the flora, the fauna or any geological aspect of the park. They have no stories of the parks history, or any knowledge of the area: trails, time, distance, ease and way. Cultural Capital in this Company is flat Zero!
    6) They tend put people in lead positions with severe self esteem issues: that leads to them shutting you down to prove their worth.
    7) It is High School Campus, maybe Freshman College (Party Scene) for most and the mentality.
    8) SSA People and those wounded and strife, really have been so badly beaten by the system and the current system of American thought, they have no questions or any voice - and this company will Give them none. TIcket to Work Profits from this as the DNC - they get huge money to get these people. I see no attempt for them but to serf the DNC .

-------------------This not a company you come to advance in. It where you come to party, continue an alcoholics lifestyle or for the poor -- A safe place, which is better than the streets and death sentence there in the jails. For them - they understand to bow low, good workers, who will never walk a trail or know thing about the park for the most part. Many a good person I have seen destroyed here. Many a good person - will say this

DNC treats its people like (Sh) and worse and leave the company disillusioned, bitter and angry. I cannot tell you how many times you hear this, over and over again.

Be Honest, do not use ruses and guile
    Promote cultural capital and learning
    Dialogue is not a crime
    Feedback is not a crime
    Hire a systems analyst, so you actually have functioning park/work environment
    Do follow OSHA, in you workplaces
    Put all you alcoholics in the same area, ( close that off) allow the others to be allowed to breath
    Try to look people as Human Beings not as work units and less
    Never Hire Managers or Leads that need to prove their self worth at the expense of others ( Constant Problem with You)

Or it maybe all the above suits the management by chaos or regression tactics seen in the world to this date.

Former Chicago Employee

Former Employee - Customer Service in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Chicago, IL

I worked at Delaware North full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The interview process was quick and relatively simple. I felt that I knew what was required of me when I came into the job.

Cons

The management structure is cut throat and condescending. Working in the office setting, hard work is often not appreciated, and communication is poor. There is no upward mobility, payment / benefits was far below similar positions at other companies. I was not told there was a risk of getting laid off post-season for my position, and was let go, with the assumption that I would return with the start of a new season.