Delex Systems Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Edmund F Driscoll II

1. Excellent management and good benefits.

Former Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Suitland, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Suitland, MD

I worked at Delex Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Management always keep personnel informed.

Cons

Benefits could have been better, personal growth lacked.

Advice to Management

Keep personnel my update of new technologies.

A company in trouble

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA

I worked at Delex Systems (More than 10 years)

Pros

Convenient location in Herndon near many shops and restaurants.

Cons

Massive downsizing. Unable to sustain workforce. Financial troubles. Once a contract is over, employees are laid off.

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees.

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Vienna, VA

I worked at Delex Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of nice people, close-knit group. Not a faceless entity, through the times where business was slow, they did what they could to keep everyone on, whether it was putting people to work on things that they were way out of their element on, or just using up PTO. There was really only one time I worked there when we had to work brutal hours, and that was for maybe a 4-6 month period, but aside from that, it was 8 hours and out. Generally good autonomy.

Cons

Salary was definitely on the low side. What goes along with that "close-knit" stuff above is the fact that people are typically hired from within, which means people are often elevated beyond their abilities. Former developers became managers. When the job cuts had to come, the managers would have to become developers again, and their skills were definitely not up-to-date, although I'm not sure they were ever quite competent in the first place. And, no doubt, they were cheap, which may be the over-riding factor. If you're a programmer and you have interest in being a real 'software engineer'/architect, this is not the place to be. There's really no passion for that sort of thing. Your skills will not develop under mentorship. You're on your own with that one. Also, the challenge level was generally low.

Advice to Management

Fresh blood is definitely needed. Really talented people won't stay for too long.

5. If you don't work at corporate, you don't exist.

Former Employee - AIS in Lexington Park, MD
    Former Employee - AIS in Lexington Park, MD

I worked at Delex Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits package.

Cons

If you dont work for the corporate office and work in the field, you basically don't exist. You only exist to bring them money and they really, really don't care beyond that. Raises were crap unless you quit, then they throw a ton of money at you to stay. Here's a hint, if you give good raises to begin with, they won't have to quit to get it. Quitting to get more money is basically the norm here. I literally could not wait to quit and many felt the same way and already have left as well.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your field employees. Visit them more than once every few months.

6. As an Administrative Assistant I thoroughly enjoyed supporting the Program.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Patuxent River, MD
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Patuxent River, MD

I worked at Delex Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Delex Systems provided flexibility, good benefits and support.

Cons

I have no comments in this field.

7. Good

I worked at Delex Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good life/work balance, competitive pay and benefits, good 401k match. Upper management genuinely cares for employees. Vacation benefits are also good.

Cons

Contracts come and go, nature of working for a government contractor especially in this financial climate. All in all they did better than I expected in the many years I worked for them.

8. Delex

I have been working at Delex Systems full-time

Pros

Delex has great employees who know how to do their jobs very well, and as far as I am concerned it has been a great company.

Cons

The two main problems are the work is getting pretty scarce and some of the management needs to be taught how to be RESPONSIBLE managers, and encourage their teams when they are doing things right, etc...

Advice to Management

Get involved with your employees, and find some work for your employees to do before they all get laid off.

9. Not necessarily exciting, but solid...

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Delex Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family-oriented company, good work/life balance, flex scheduling, ability to work remotely, kind and understanding coworkers.

Cons

Salaries not very competitive; contract-based work tends to be rote, repetitive. Not a lot of mobility for certain positions (I was a Technical Writer who got two raises and got to participate in lots of different kinds of work, but there was absolutely nothing for me to get promoted to without more education).

Advice to Management

Clarify career track options.

10. A company that listens to its employees.

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Delex Systems

Pros

Employees are listened to and their opinion is respected. Newsletter effectively used to pass on information about the company, changes in benefits, etc. Employee questions, whether personal or professional, are encouraged and you receive timely responses to questions / concerns. If you have a task or problem for a customer & you don't have the expertise, you have a slew of company resources or partners to help you find solutions. If the customer sends an "Atta-Boy" it is shared up the chain to senior management and comes back to you with additional endorsements.

Cons

Benefits could be increased, develop and disseminate training plans for your specialties to advance.

Advice to Management

Continue meeting with and listening to your employees and keep up the good work.

11. Good, not great

I worked at Delex Systems

Pros

Flexible work schedule is allowed.

Cons

Salaries on the very low-end for the DC area. High employee turnover. Top-heavy in management at corporate.

RSS Feed </> Embed