Delhaize America

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
2.6

Kevin Holt

Not great... Not terrible...

Former Employee - Salesplan Coordinator in Salisbury, NC
    Former Employee - Salesplan Coordinator in Salisbury, NC

I worked at Delhaize America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I think there were plenty of opportunities for advancement as long as you are actively pursuing them. I think their benefits package is about average, maybe slightly above average (as far as PTO/401k is concerned, cannot speak for health insurance as I never used the company health insurance)

Cons

Leadership was lacking, not very motivating. Seemed to me that things were constantly being changed just for the sake of change, and not because it was what was best for the company, felt like they would not fully commit to a change and abandon it or just let it fade away.

Professionally challenging and worthwhile.

Current Employee - Director In Human Resources in Scarborough, ME
    Current Employee - Director In Human Resources in Scarborough, ME

I have been working at Delhaize America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strives for big goals in a culture that embraces big change and tolerates the risks associated with aiming high!

Cons

Managing from a distance across separate corporate offices geographically dispersed from Maine to Florida to North Carolina.

Invest more in actually developing your leadership and management team. Throwing people into big jobs without adequate backgrounds, development and support during the recent restructuring created more churn than needed.

Unfair practices need to be investigated

Former Employee - Corporate in Salisbury, NC
    Former Employee - Corporate in Salisbury, NC

I worked at Delhaize America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Trying to change and improve. They get into their own way. New CEO has potential if he really looks close at what is going on in the company and isn't blinded by the fearful and suck ups!

Cons

Say they want to change but don't really. Some departments rule but without process or fairness. Lack of true diversity! Unless you were raised in the company very few outsiders last!

Get a clue on what is going on in your company. Investigate your own processes in IT and HR.

not a great experience

I have been working at Delhaize America full-time

Pros

Pay & the people I work with.

Cons

Bad leadership, inconsistency with policies & procedures.

Positive place to work with great people.

I worked at Delhaize America

Pros

Good working atmosphere especially for an office setting. Work life balance is wonderful. Can switch jobs doing something entirely different when still remaining with the same company.

Cons

The compensation was not as good as it should have been.

Nice but

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salisbury, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salisbury, NC

I have been working at Delhaize America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are improving their stores with new systems and upgraded looks. The board members, I think, have finally realized that you have to have a maintenance budget in IT to replace equipment and upgrade systems on a regular basis.

A lot of their private label food stuff is pretty darn good. I found out that the company who supplies some of their private label cookies also contract to produce some of the Girl Scout cookies. There is a version of the Thin mint in their private label. Tastes better than the GS cookie.

They have comfortable offices with walls that are 4 foot high. Not quite the dreaded open office system but it seems they are moving in that direction. The people are what I consider southern friendly.

Cons

The company is very lean. Their philosophy is to outsource as much as possible. This causes a lot of bottlenecks. If you happen to be an employee of the company the only way to move is if somebody quits the company.
    If you need training...good luck. There is none. Criticism is called coaching in some departments.

They have Sharepoint in the company but nobody I have met fully utilizes it. In fact most people don't even use it. Sharing of documents and collaboration is hard to come by. They do not have any formalized project management in house. The company wants to manage projects but if you can't track hours and people who worked on it how in the world are you going to figure out what works and what doesn't.

The headquarters is located in BFE. If you are not very conservative be very careful what you say. Did I mention there is no training....not even the basic CBT stuff for ethics, diversity and safety. I had to gently inform a few people that the LGBT community deserves as much respect as the heterosexuals and where they could find some useful information.
    There is no anonymous HR input form. If you have a question or concern and you want to inquire to HR about it....good luck, even finding a non-anonymous way to contact them is very difficult to do.

IT hasn't learned yet that the business side of the house pays their salary. They do not like discussing or revealing their processes to the business side. There as yet is no transparency or active collaboration between departments.

There are a lot of people with Manager in their title who manage nobody.
    The people are what I consider southern friendly.

I've been at worse places. I've been at better.

Overall good experience - limited advancement opprotunities

I have been working at Delhaize America

Pros

Work life balance - compensation is average

Cons

No room to grow in the company

Horrible place to work!

I worked at Delhaize America

Pros

Some nice people at corporate that balance out the totally miserable souls. The stores try really hard to do a good job. They have a thankless job!

Cons

The culture needs a lot of work. Company doesn't live the principles they write on their brocures and wall. Inbreeding and nepotism runs rampant! Smart people get squelched!

Work on the culture and listen to the customers not the bean counters!

It's progressively becoming a more stable working environment, with more opportunities opening everyday.

Current Employee - Analyst in Salisbury, NC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Salisbury, NC

I have been working at Delhaize America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Professional atmosphere with a lot of great people to work with.

Cons

The systems are a little behind the times, but not the worst, either. They're making strides towards progress as an organization, but it takes time.

Keep doing what you've been doing over the past year.

corporate worker

Former Employee - Regional in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Regional in Tampa, FL

I worked at Delhaize America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was given a lot of freedom to do my job, but with ample paperwork and teleconferences to show my work.

Cons

long, long hours. long traveling, and nights away from home as well. could be high stress.

leadership discussions were good. praise and monetary rewards are always nice