Delivery Agent Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Mike Fitzsimmons

Pros
  • Good compensation, great benefits, great work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• They have an unlimited vacation policy and treat employees as adults (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect long hours and weekend hours as the norm (in 5 reviews)

• On the January 2013 reorganization - this was honestly less of a reorganization and much more about office politics at its absolute worst (in 4 reviews)

Great coworkers, terrible upper management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Delivery Agent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Among the rank and file employees and lower tier management there are mostly great people who work hard and are easy to get along with.

Cons

Upper management sees everyone below them as expendable numbers that they can do whatever they want with. They have let people go multiple times who were valued team members and left a skills and experience vacuum in their place and their teammates have pick up the pieces. They talk about how we all "owners" of the company during crazy busy times (August through December) so we don't quit from exhaustion, and then forget about us the rest of the year. The emphasis is all on squeezing as much work out of each employee as possible, so there is no time to think ahead or do quality work.

Advice to Management

You better rethink your staffing strategy or all your skilled and experienced employees will either quit or be laid off for cheaper substitutions, and the only people left will be junior with no one to train them and terrible morale.

the most unprofessional company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Business Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Delivery Agent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- location: in the heart of downtown San Francisco
    - upper management knows how to sell an aged and buggy ecommerce platform to both investors and prospective clients - boy do they!

Cons

- all of San Francisco (hq) jobs are being moved to the recently acquired MusicToday office in No Mans Land, Virginia.
    - annual layoffs
    - C-level executives don't care about quality of talent. cutting corners every chance they can to cut costs for this non-profitable company
    - product development resources are based on opinion resulting in thousands of products in the stores that never sell
    - continues to grow its c-level exec team despite "budget" concerns

Advice to Management

- be more transparent with the direction of your company
    - you're an ecommerce platform - develop product that has demand
    - stop hiring c-level execs that don't do anything but take up the salary of 3+ hard working lower managers

Terrible executive team - no real structure

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Delivery Agent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can watch TV at your desk - but you have to in order to get through the day

Event team plans great events! - only way to lean on each other because the company culture is terrible

Most team members are great to work with - but since there was just a layoff, those great coworkers are not coworkers anymore

Cool client list (major TV networks) - but working with those clients are a pain in the you know what

Unlimited PTO - but you need it since you might kill yourself.

Cons

No real structure. Half of the company is on the East Coast so your "supervisor" could be in either New York or VA.

Absolutely no growth. If you are looking for a long term/stable/career advancement, don't look here

Most Directors gossip. From knowing Director's personal affairs (in office real affairs) to them trying to turn their employees against each other.

Executive team had the Finance team lie about $$s.

Before the recent layoff, most employees saw their job posted in another part of the country beforehand so we/they knew it was coming.

Advice to Management

Dear CEO/President: have 1:1s with everyone since you just laid most people off and see how you can turn the company around from their point of view for their sake. Culture is non-existent. You will have a team of 10 if something isn't done. Those that are still there are trying to find the initial reason of showing up everyday. Telling them to keep grinding isn't doing much. Why are they grinding?

(Also the 5 star ratings you see on glassdoor were written by HR)

Chaos central and soul sucking cesspool of political inbreds.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Delivery Agent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some employees are engaged, talented and if not hindered by blinkered lack of direction, do some great things. Location. Co-workers.

Cons

No job growth, zero training, negative career path opportunities. People are promoted based on whether or not VP likes you (must possess killer brown nose capabilities), and/or if it's possible for management to take direct credit for any successes you may personally have. Surreal environment during performance reviews- people get physically ill and cry- even the ones with Herculean accomplishments under their belts.
    Extremely unequal treatment regarding work from home policy and promotions. Too many Dish Network types, operating with Paleolithic management style. Mad Men philosophy of gender- not from the ranks of plebes, just the people who control your fate.
    Laughable references about 'culture'- which as other before me have noted, is not determined by the content in the refrigerator or the ping pong table. CULTURE is whether or not employees feel valued, heard, part of the team. Culture is not a gimmick, it's a value system.
    Lastly, the 'unlimited vacation policy' is a scam in order to seem on par with other Silicone Valley tech/media companies. Keeps from giving 'statutory' vacation days and/or payout when you leave. Also, since DA is chronically understaffed, you will always feel like taking days off is a real burden to your cohorts.

Advice to Management

None that they will EVER take.

No career boost here

Former Employee - Senior Level in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Level in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Delivery Agent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location
    Food/drink
    Fully paid benefits
    casual atmosphere
    fun industry
    flexible hours
    nice people

Cons

Not much growth,
    no learning opportunities - I felt no more enriched when I left than I did when I started here. I learned more at my next job in 3 months than at DA after several years
    dead end job
    Made weird hiring decisions
    I personally did not have respect for management (poor decisions, not smart) and couldn't see myself continuing to waste my time here

Advice to Management

invest in your workforce - train, educate, empower, promote

Lots of opportunity if you are in technology as the team is small. People are generally good and try to be helpful.

I worked at Delivery Agent

Pros

Unlimited Vacation, Relaxed Hours, great location for SF office.

Cons

Poor salary for bay area, old technology stack, small team and at times too many responsibilities and no real consequences.

Advice to Management

Too much of a grind at times, need to invest in an updated technology stack and processes. Get rid of dead weight, it's holding people back. Extremely high turnover and lack of documentation results in very few people knowing how to do anything.

New Management needs to clue in. Replacing senior experienced employees with cheaper ones in a remote location is unwise

I have been working at Delivery Agent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent client list - although these are at risk due to over promising and under delivering by being cheap and not thinking about the work and hours of input it takes to produce quality results

Cons

Really unrealistic expectations. No budget to work with
    Cheaper is better mentality. No support with staffing.
    Hypocritical messaging from upper management. They need to lead by example

Advice to Management

Would you hire someone out of a junior college finance program to be responsible for some of the most important aspects of the finance side of you business?

Respect the experience and skills of employees in other area and you should WANT to pay they well because they are taking care of your clients. YOUR MOST VALUABLE ASSET. Maybe its hard to put an exact monetary value on that but without these clients DA is nothing.

9. Pretty darn exciting work.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Delivery Agent full-time

Pros

* This company is at the magic point of bigger company job-stability, but not bloated so much that my sense of initiative gets worn into the ground by bureaucracy.
    * The open vacation policy works, if you ask far enough in advance for the time off. It really all depends on your manager fortunately or unfortunately.
    * Anthem Blue-Cross is the health insurance currently, and it is fantastic.
    * Project management in the software sphere is pretty reasonable. They don't work, "Well, I guess you're gonna have to do some weekends." into the ideal timeline, which is refreshing change.
    * The business decisions that get made seem to be rooted somewhere in reality. Even if they aren't the best ideas in the world, I can at least abide by them as plausible ways to make money relative to the effort it's going to take. That makes it easier to keep my head where it needs to be on a project.

Cons

* There are stock options, but the CEO has pretty much said that going public is the last on the list of things he's going to do to raise capital---so don't hold your breath. People have been sitting on stock options for years.
    * While they do allow work-from-home, they don't really allow work-from-home on a steady basis and they don't look like they're about to any time soon.
    * ADP manages the 'flex' accounts, and it's been nothing short of a pain dealing with them. Granted, I've never heard anyone liking to deal with flex accounts from any other company.
    * I'm a little skeptical of the product we sell at times, but that looks to be improving.
    * The reviews here from the SanFran office are a little..umm.. 'telling'.

Advice to Management

I honestly have no advice I would give here.

Delivery Agent Response

Dec 8, 2014VP, HR

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate the balance of pros and cons and the supportive rating!

Not bad at all but could be a much better place

I have been working at Delivery Agent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(Everything below pertains strictly to the e-commerce side of the business in San Francisco)
    - Great work-life balance
    - No pressure in the office
    - Co-workers are a fun group of people, no jerks
    - Small company, so you get to collaborate with almost all teams and get a better understanding for the business

Cons

- Nobody is held accountable for their actions or the lack thereof
    - Some of the old-timers in management are slowly running the business to the ground
    - For a tech company it is extremely non-technical
    - Mediocre results are considered satisfactory

Advice to Management

You really, really, really need to invest in experienced talent and technology. Stop playing politics and favoritism and start holding people accountable. Invest in the technology side of the business and work on retaining and expanding the talent pool. Trust and invest in your employees and they will pay you back. Be more transparent when communicating victories and provide employees with more reasons to be proud of their work place.

Delivery Agent Response

Nov 20, 2014VP, HR

Thank you for the detailed pros and cons. We appreciate your feedback.

We've lost our way

Current Employee - Vice President Sales
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales

I have been working at Delivery Agent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has the potential to truly dominate in so many ways across their advertising and commerce business units.

There are pockets of talent within the company that are truly interested in change and moving the company forward.

The company has some very strong strategic investors.

The new CSO has some really great ideas, seems to be very well respected in the industry and is bringing in some top notch talent who want to impact the company and the culture. He has also helped elevate the industry respect and awareness of DA based on what I read.

Acquisitions of Clean Fun and Music Today have brought some great talent and potential. The Clean Fun CEO is making very positive change happen and has amazing team and ideas. The Music Today GM can help make a positive difference.

Teams are empowered to work autonomously.

Cons

The management of the company, especially those who've been with the company for 3 or more years are inhibiting the growth of the company. It is clear that the new CSO, Music Today GM and Clean Fun CEO are struggling because they are not given support from others on the executive team. It has taken a year or more for some of their work to take hold because of resistance to positive change.

There is a very clear us vs them attitude, especially with the company and team that was acquired in Denver. The Denver team is arrogant (unwarranted) and stands to single handedly drive this company into a death spiral because of their clear desire to kill anything new or good for the greater DA good that may threaten their roles. I would bet our new CSO fails because the Denver team does not want to give up their hold on the Interactive TV business.

While there has been some very strong new management whom have joined the company, the old timers seem to resist or fear change so much that they do not support the new management who clearly seem talented and have great ideas, enthusiasm and relationships.

The attrition rate of this company and associated culture has got to be one of the worse a company can have. Companies that DA has acquired are not properly folded into the greater whole.

The CEO and CFO are completely at odds with one another. The friction is painful to observe (this after 3 recent CFO's).

There is no marketing done by a company who talks a good game about thought leadership. There is a complete lack of marketing chops and leadership.

The engineering and tech support for the emerging business which seems to be our advertising business, is clearly lacking. New platform partners are signed and then left for months or year or more without and service or intent to service. It is only a matter of time before these partners lose faith or realize the truth.

Advice to Management

Get aligned as a team and work together. It is apparent that there are not clearly aligned goals and objectives.

Work to change the culture in SF. The office is like a morgue.

Support your new executive like Greg, Chas and Gabe. They have great ideas and are truly valued by many in our team. Don't let Denver desire to own everything stop the positive change these exciting executives can and are delivering.

RSS Feed </> Embed