www.dell.com

3,655 Reviews

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell
Michael S. Dell
2,259 Ratings

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors (in 468 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed (in 158 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can become a challenge; frequent reorganizations affect work quality (in 146 reviews)

• The senior management reporting to Michael is very uneven with a couple of real bozos (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

1,087 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Dell is a great place to work

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Friendly people. Everyone goes out of there way to help newcomers like me. This is a result of the "all for one" attitude that comes from the top down. We are a 100,000 plus team and unstoppable. Great benefits and friendly, helpful colleagues make this a great place to work

Cons

None that ive seen so far

Keep on trusting your employees to manage their business

My experience at Dell

Current Employee - Business Systems Senior Analyst  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Systems Senior Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good salary and benefits and ability to work from home.

Cons

Management styles inconsistent across company.....the main determining factor in your overall success and enjoyment level is strictly tied to who your manager is.....this can vary greatly from team to team.
    Lots of layoff and hiring cycles as they seem to go guardrail to guardrail when making headcount decisions.

17 years at Dell and loving it!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Love the "get it done" attitude and customer focused culture. Doing what's right for the customer always rises to the top, even when mistakes get made along the way. Have had 9 bosses in 17 years -- all but 1 were fabulous and caring leaders. Fortunately, the one that wasn't left very quickly -- he didn't fit the culture. And, best thing about my job, it keeps me fresh. The job content expands and changes every 12 - 18 months which gives me ongoing challenges and keeps me from being bored. Lastly -- I work from home every Friday and have been for 12 years. Love that I skip commuting one day a week and still have a great career.

Cons

It's a very big company. Working anything end to end in this company is hard given its size, different business (client, enterprise, software and services), global reach, etc. Simply said, it's is complex which can make getting things communicated and done difficult.

Dell Response

Aug 25, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for the thorough review (and for 17 years of dedication to Dell!) We appreciate your comments and on a regular basis share with our leaders.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outstanding

Former Employee - Alliances  in  Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Alliances in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great teams, corporate vision and strategy. There is uncertainty at times and you have to deal with ambiguous direction at times, however this will give you the opportunity to separate yourself from everyone else.

Cons

I'm a little "Old School" and do not like to work from home, however, this is the direction of the company is to have their employees remote. I believe stronger collaboration occurs in the office.

Stay focused on the direction

Excellent company to develop knowledge and experience in business transformation

Former Employee - Senior Consultant (Operations)  in  Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant (Operations) in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Desire to succeed as a company is strong with multiple avenues for learning. Most of the executive management team is well experienced in the industry while at Dell and with external companies. The people you were with on a day to day basis are intelligent and enjoyable to work with. Compensation is on par with a large company and the support provided by the company infrastructure on average is good.

Cons

Dell is continuing to transform itself into a software/solutions company. The reputation in the local area is, Dell is a meat grinder with long hours and over-burdening workloads. Much of this is reputation is the result of inefficiencies in the processes and the acceptance for average tools. It's easy to be part of the processes which perpetuate this image. Unlike many of my peers, I believe my time and efforts resulted in valuable results in a manageable schedule (working smarter, not harder).

the management levels are highly diversified with many of your executive leaders coming from outside Dell while nearly all of your first line managers are long-time Dell employees. At a management level you should be willing to push the envelope and not conform to all strategies. For the betterment of the company, more managers at Dell should be willing to "buck" the current models and demand the right change for the right reasons. Dell has excellent tools to help managers manage their business and their teams.

Lots of opportunity to learn and grow, just don't plan on getting promoted.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is literally a job for everyone at Dell. Every job imaginable is done somewhere within the company.

Cons

Dell cannot find a way to allow employees to move from position to position within the company. It's far easier to lay them off or too convenient to allow them to leave and hire off the street (often previous Dell employees) than it is to allow them to move from one department to another.

Fix the waterfall and require movement from entry level positions to more senior ones to retain talent. Your failure is in allowing HSB to hold onto talent and keeping employees from moving around.

Change

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Great work/life balance promoted within the larger organization as well as all business arms.
    - 5% matching 401k
    - Immediately vested
    - A great place to learn and expand one's career
    - Great individuals to work with
    - Management style systematically avoids micromanagement
    - Consulting opportunities allow for further understanding of various business models by working with external customers

Cons

- Pay scale is lower in low to medium level management compared with industry
    - Sales positions have been faced with tougher quotas progressively, especially in light of improving generated revenues
    - Organizational landscape has been in a state of ongoing flux due to change to private ownership
    - Organizational model has never established a footing in a particular model

- Revenue alignment in services leads to frequent internal misalignment of priorities between account management and practice management
    - Heavy emphasis on tools has deflated emphasis on consulting to customers' real needs and business objectives

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people, Michael is a true entrepreneur and there is always room to grow

Cons

Work life balance is satisfactory, however could stand some improvements and promotions could come a little quicker.

Be real from the top down. Build that TRUST.

Dell is a good place to work

Current Employee - Strategist  in  Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Strategist in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people are what makes Dell a great place. Work life balance is important but it is up to you to make it happen. There is always something new and changing that can give you new challenges.

Cons

Focus, There are so many things going on that some times people are not allowed to stay focused.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best part about Dell is the networking and compensation opportunities. Networking inside of a complex organization builds a foundation to help grow your skills regardless of circumstance.

Cons

The biggest con is the lack of clear direction to succeed. Do this and we win is never really clear because there seems to be other agendas that are not public.

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!