Dell Reviews

Michael S. Dell
2,646 Ratings

1,236 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

A great place to work during another very exciting time in Dell's history!

Current Employee - Project Program Management Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Project Program Management Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great career development and career path options. Dynamic, exciting work environment. Solid leadership who communicates frequently and effectively. Great people to work with. Excellent salary and benefits.

Cons

Most managers are great. Some, however are not! Your team will only be as good as it's leadership...

Encourage managers to frequently reach out to their employees and to put emphasis on being a coach and not a task-master...the results will be far greater!

Feb 9, 2015Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thanks for the awesome review. We agree - our people are incredible! We're also thrilled to hear that you have had opportunities presented to you and have been exposed to solid leadership. We share ... More

2. Great Place to Grow

Current Employee - Pricing Consultant in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Pricing Consultant in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tons of opportunities to develop and learn from many smart people

Cons

Constant change with annual re-orgs

Mar 30, 2015Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thanks for the review! Always thrilled to hear of long time employees that have positive experiences.

3. Work hard, prove your value

Former Employee - Product Manager in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I found Dell to be a meritocracy where technical skills and a strong work ethic are rewarded for meaningful contributions.

Cons

Not much of an interactive environment, lots of people work from home. Not a nurturing environment; you need to be confident in what you are involved in.

Mar 30, 2015Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for the post. Your feedback is really helpful. A large workforce with many work from home individuals has it's benefits and it's risks. The HR organization is working on programs to help ... More

Different departments yield different results. If you drive your career in the company it can be very rewarding & fun.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For most departments that I worked...
    - Fortunate to have awesome managers that took care of you.
    - Some teams endorsed innovation and supported you if you pursued new ideas.
    - Elevate you in your career if you prove deserving.

Cons

For other departments...
    - Managers were not very qualified in inspiring leadership and building strengths.
    - Many external factors drove the direction of the department to pursue immediate gains.
    - Teams suffocated & stagnated as leaders were resistant in allowing them to grow & adapt.

A few things to be mindful now that the company is private:
    - Target on the big goals and stay on them without being distracted by noise and the immediate gains that you could achieve. Those short-term wins sacrifice the bigger long-term vision.
    - Take care of your employees. Promote from within and don't punish ingenuity and innovation that is sparked from within. Don't hire big-time consultants from coming and uprooting and changing things for you to make you feel better.

6. Good, challenging work meets not-so-good, challenging worker-manager communication issues.

Former Employee - Senior Communications Specialist in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Communications Specialist in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell

Pros

Smart colleagues, terrific compensation, onsite gym, copious room to network and move if you're interested, dedicated, determined, and ambitious. A great place to learn. A great place to make lifelong friends.

Cons

Lots of reorgs keep managers and workers busy as bees--in my case too busy for clear, ongoing communication. Unfortunately, it's exactly the time cohesion is needed. Everyone needs to be on board with team-building over favortism.

See the "cons" list above. Schedule or accept one-on-one meetings, keep to the schedule, and follow through. Useful to managers and team members alike would be a "course" on perspective/learning how people best learn according to their personality. The best schools do this. Also, the best businesses leaders. Dell is one of the biggest and brightest. Better communication will go a long way to retaining the best and brightest and amping up everyone's successes.

Mar 30, 2015Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Helpful feedback for our Leadership Development program team. A company is only as good as it's team members and it's leaders and we strive to create a environment of productive and supportive ... More

7. Amazing opportunity to Develop and Deliver Enterprise Technology.

Former Employee - Senior Technical Training Advisor in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Training Advisor in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (more than a year)

Pros

World class Enterprise support efforts.

Cons

You really had to come in prepared to work, plenty And then some to do.

Investing in your employees potential has long term benefits.

8. Change is constant

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very smart people
    Always a challenge
    Opportunities available if you want them
    If ambiguity is not your thing, look elsewhere - you have to enjoy figuring it out

Cons

Disconnect between operations & Finance lead to more work reconciling spend to forecast
    Too much time spent on non value add activities such as portfolio management tool data compliance
    Inability to drive standard project status definition supported across company

IT can manage costs - do not expect more for less as it gets done at the cost of your employees time and personal life

9. It was a growing experience. It can be very stressful, but does pay better than most companies.

Former Employee - WWP in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - WWP in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is pretty decent. If you have good co-workers, makes life much better. Find a good mentor.

Cons

Management is mostly concerned about "not looking bad". They preach "work/life balance", but don't live it.

Take care of your employees, and they will go the extra step to help you.

10. Good learning experience, but very stressful.

Current Employee - WWP in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - WWP in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good co-workers, good pay. You can gain lots of experience in your field to move to better role at another company.

Cons

Managers only want you to make them not "look bad". Stressful. They preach work/life balance, but don't live it.

Take care of your employees, and they will take care of you.

11. My high performance was recognized as well as my capabilities as a trainer in international export documentation.

Former Employee - International Export Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - International Export Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company has just taken action to regain its private company status.
    It is aggressively committed to expand its technical support to enable its IT team to concentrate on more complex issues.

Cons

Like all computer technology companies it goes through cycles of laying off people. This is a business reality, not a personal matter.

Proactively and substantively encourage the development of your team members. It speaks well for the company, management and team members make the company stronger by being involvement in their development.

Mar 30, 2015Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Wow - thanks for the thorough review! Sounds like you have many years with Dell to share your expertise with others and we really appreciate you taking the time to do so! On a routine basis, we share ... More