Dell

Updated Jan 16, 2014

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell

Michael S. Dell

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for

Sales Engineer (Current Employee)
    Bracknell, England (UK)

ProsGreat salary. Great work-life balance. Very supportive management. No micro management. Great talented team to work with

ConsNot many. Too many people reporting on the same sales stats. Sales targets are unrealistic so achieving them is near enough impossible. Also, your number is made up of 100s of accounts. Trying to understand if your achievement is correct and verifying the results is impossible!

I've learnt a lot working for dell, but it's a very unstable environment.

Business Consultant (Former Employee)
    Bracknell, England (UK)

ProsThe salary is good, the benefits are standard for a full time / perm job and it's flexible.

ConsJob security; it's a very fast changing company and your job can be relocated or eliminated any time.

Advice to Senior Managementto focus more on long term investment and job security; a lot of people feel very uncomfortable and leave Dell because their job is not safe

Great Company to work for.

Finance Analyst (Former Employee)
    Bracknell, England (UK)

ProsChallenging environment, great career opportunities, strong corporate social responsibility.

ConsInternal systems should be more integrated.

Advice to Senior ManagementDelegate more work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Sales Engineer (Current Employee)
    Bracknell, England (UK)

ProsGreat work/life balance, so long as you are prepared to work hard as needed!

ConsSystems and processes are amazingly start-up like....

Great blue chip environment, good for development up to a point. A lot now centralised from Austin

Bracknell, England (UK)

ProsGlobal, renowned brand, big company experience.

ConsToo much comes from the centre, not enough scope for localising appropriately.
    Make headcount decisions according to share price.

Advice to Senior Managementtake a long term view on headcount.

a

Bracknell, England (UK)

ProsInternational big brand, looks good on CV

ConsPoor compensation for sales people.

Advice to Senior Managementa

Great place to work!

Senior Technical Writer (Contract) (Former Employee)
    Bracknell, England (UK)

ProsEven as a contractor, there is so much scope for contributing to functional areas beyond your own core expertise. Managers encourage innovation, empower and trust (where deserved). They're also open to alternative ways of working, which in my case resulted in living 200 miles away from the office and as long as put the hours in and got the job done, could plan my day around current surf conditions!

ConsAs with all corporations, there are challenges associated with process and due course, and was getting worse when I left. Also, there was too much emphasis in "we're one big family" - or maybe the ethos surrounding this, born in the US, didn't travel to the UK very well.

Advice to Senior ManagementDell still has a lot of dead weight at all levels; management stuck in the past and old school tie mentalities. A few more redundancy and streamlining cycles should go a long way to sorting that out.

Also, the good managers still subscribed to the traditional hierarchical approach. You may be managers, but really you're just another person doing a different type of job than your team members. Show respect, get respect. And that applies to everyone.

A once-great company, struggling with an identity crisis. Used to lead the market, now it's become a "me too"

Bracknell, England (UK)

ProsFast pace, flat structure. Lots of autonomy. Due to the lack of layers there is a lot of breadth to most roles.

ConsFlat structure means little room for advancement. Major chasm between senior management and director level grades. Culture of hiring external talent to fill senior jobs rather than develop from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more on staff development. Stop cutting back on HR and show you truly value your people. Rediscover the entrepeneurial edge, rather than be a "me too" services player.

Dell Bracknell - Review after 2009 Layoffs

Bracknell, England (UK)

ProsDell has a decent pay structure and reasonable benefits, including participation in pension. Home working is encouraged. The Bracknell canteen does a good job at fair prices.

ConsEndless layers of management who have no idea what their underlings do; constant introduction of pet restructuring projects which last until the manager moves on (which can be after only a couple of months).

Advice to Senior ManagementUsual US-centric view; in recent massive round of layoffs, jobs were outsourced to Central Europe (cheaper), clawed back for the US; or simply dropped. No thought for allowing headcount to stay, but at minimal salary level, thus retaining key skills.

Please make Dell UK a great place to work again

Sales (Current Employee)
    Bracknell, England (UK)

ProsBenefits are good for example pension, medical insurance, gym. There are also alot of good people within the organisation especially amongst my peers. As a growing business in emerging markets there is good prospects for working in another country - if that interests you !. Bringing out new products and solutions keeps the work interesting and stimulating.

ConsThe ever changing systems that we have to use. It seems every week a new system and procedure comes into place, this creates frustration as it makes a difficult job more complex. Also the the pay plan, working in sales is currently making it harder to earn the extra cash.

Advice to Senior Managementby rewarding over achievement in sales plans this would encourage the teams to put more effort into their everyday job, thus increasing sales & profits. I think alot of the work hard, pay hard ethic has also evapourated from the businsss. I still feel Dell is a good Company to work for, however i used to think that Dell was a 'Great' company to work for.

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!

Dell Videos

Dell – Why Work for Us?

With more than 100,000 team members globally, we promote an environment that is rooted in the entrepreneurial spirit in which the company was founded. Dell’s team members are committed to serving our communities… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dell reviews and ratings in Bracknell, England — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dell CEO Michael S. Dell. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Dell employees.