Dell

3,843 Reviews

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell
Michael S. Dell
2,364 Ratings

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors (in 532 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed (in 228 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can become a challenge; frequent reorganizations affect work quality (in 167 reviews)

• The senior management reporting to Michael is very uneven with a couple of real bozos (in 81 reviews)

More Highlights

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Bracknell, England (UK)

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great salary. Great work-life balance. Very supportive management. No micro management. Great talented team to work with

Cons

Not many. Too many people reporting on the same sales stats. Sales targets are unrealistic so achieving them is near enough impossible. Also, your number is made up of 100s of accounts. Trying to understand if your achievement is correct and verifying the results is impossible!

Ageing Dinosaur barely holding it together

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Bracknell, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Bracknell, England (UK)

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent work-life balance. Pay is ok but very average. If you want to spend more time with your family and not work very hard, you've come to the right place.

Cons

The company's products are dying a slow death and Executive mgmt has no desire to invest adequately in R&D. Lots of "talk" about innovation but R&D remains shockingly low. Because the products are so weak, margins tend to be razor thin which forces management to focus on OPEX cutting most of the time. Many employees idolise Michael Dell as a visionary. In reality, the last "vision" he had was in his dorm room. I lived with a decade of disappointment and can safely say- this man has no vision. His quote about selling off Apple says it all.

Good work life balance is keeping you competitive. The Emporer has no clothes but I wouldnt expect any manager to speak the truth or your career would be over. Kiss up to Michael Dell and his cronies and you'll be ok.

Dell Response

Oct 23, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

We value all of the feedback we receive, so thank you for your comments which we will ensure are heard by our leadership team. Dell is continuously changing and evolving as a company and R&D is one ... More

I've learnt a lot working for dell, but it's a very unstable environment.

Former Employee - Business Consultant in Bracknell, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Consultant in Bracknell, England (UK)

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The salary is good, the benefits are standard for a full time / perm job and it's flexible.

Cons

Job security; it's a very fast changing company and your job can be relocated or eliminated any time.

to focus more on long term investment and job security; a lot of people feel very uncomfortable and leave Dell because their job is not safe

Great Company to work for.

Former Employee - Finance Analyst in Bracknell, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Finance Analyst in Bracknell, England (UK)

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging environment, great career opportunities, strong corporate social responsibility.

Cons

Internal systems should be more integrated.

Delegate more work.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Bracknell, England (UK)

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work/life balance, so long as you are prepared to work hard as needed!

Cons

Systems and processes are amazingly start-up like....

Great blue chip environment, good for development up to a point. A lot now centralised from Austin

I worked at Dell

Pros

Global, renowned brand, big company experience.

Cons

Too much comes from the centre, not enough scope for localising appropriately.
    Make headcount decisions according to share price.

take a long term view on headcount.

a

I worked at Dell

Pros

International big brand, looks good on CV

Cons

Poor compensation for sales people.

a

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer (Contract) in Bracknell, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer (Contract) in Bracknell, England (UK)

I worked at Dell

Pros

Even as a contractor, there is so much scope for contributing to functional areas beyond your own core expertise. Managers encourage innovation, empower and trust (where deserved). They're also open to alternative ways of working, which in my case resulted in living 200 miles away from the office and as long as put the hours in and got the job done, could plan my day around current surf conditions!

Cons

As with all corporations, there are challenges associated with process and due course, and was getting worse when I left. Also, there was too much emphasis in "we're one big family" - or maybe the ethos surrounding this, born in the US, didn't travel to the UK very well.

Dell still has a lot of dead weight at all levels; management stuck in the past and old school tie mentalities. A few more redundancy and streamlining cycles should go a long way to sorting that out.

Also, the good managers still subscribed to the traditional hierarchical approach. You may be managers, but really you're just another person doing a different type of job than your team members. Show respect, get respect. And that applies to everyone.

A once-great company, struggling with an identity crisis. Used to lead the market, now it's become a "me too"

I worked at Dell

Pros

Fast pace, flat structure. Lots of autonomy. Due to the lack of layers there is a lot of breadth to most roles.

Cons

Flat structure means little room for advancement. Major chasm between senior management and director level grades. Culture of hiring external talent to fill senior jobs rather than develop from within.

Invest more on staff development. Stop cutting back on HR and show you truly value your people. Rediscover the entrepeneurial edge, rather than be a "me too" services player.

Dell Bracknell - Review after 2009 Layoffs

I worked at Dell

Pros

Dell has a decent pay structure and reasonable benefits, including participation in pension. Home working is encouraged. The Bracknell canteen does a good job at fair prices.

Cons

Endless layers of management who have no idea what their underlings do; constant introduction of pet restructuring projects which last until the manager moves on (which can be after only a couple of months).

Usual US-centric view; in recent massive round of layoffs, jobs were outsourced to Central Europe (cheaper), clawed back for the US; or simply dropped. No thought for allowing headcount to stay, but at minimal salary level, thus retaining key skills.