Dell

Updated Feb 10, 2014

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell

Michael S. Dell

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company for career advancement. However, this is a challenging industry and the company makes frequent changes.

Sales Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Dell full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people. Competitive pay. Excellent exposure to the entire IT industry. Opportunities to move around the company and move up from your role.

ConsAfter going private, the future is somewhat cloudy. There are a lot of consolidations going on and roles are being eliminated or modified on the fly. Job satisfaction can very greatly from role to role.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent with the corporate direction

Pretty good experience while it lasted

Marketing Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPaid well, good benefits and very flexible work options. WFH 2-3 times per week is no issue. Strong market brand. Pretty good group to work for and with. First 2 bosses were great. Inovolved with high level decisions and analysis.

ConsManagement ignored the team for 5 months with no direction or communication. Going private may be more of the same since leadership changes seem minimal. Struggling to evolve away from client into solution / sw company. More of the same?

Advice to Senior ManagementLead... don't manage. Evolve quickly. Accelerate the transition from client by reducing the platforms and complexity. More of the same?

Work Life Balance vs. Culture

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Dell full-time for more than a year

ProsWork life balance is excellent, if you want to work from home, get a great salary, and get paid based on your ability to close a deal, this is for you.

ConsMiddle Management is a complete mess, they can’t be trusted. Dell cannot innovate, there is no creativity, and you feel as though you cannot speak your mind without fear of losing your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to your roots, the Customer! The Enterprise business is commoditizing, focus on a cheaper solution, remove all of the bells and whistles. Also, hack away about 2 levels of management.

Senior Manager

Service Delivery Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpportunities are endless. The hardware has a great reputation and that opens a lot of doors.

ConsEver changing and not 100% sure we know what we want to be.

Poor onboarding; lacking strong leadership

Consulting Principal (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dell full-time for less than a year

ProsModerate travel schedule is better than some

ConsHealthcare consulting practice lacks vision/leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider appointing leaders who aren't afraid to lead and hold people accountable for their work

great benefits, low morale

Inside Sales (Current Employee)
Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe health benefits are great. The vacation time is also very nice. The people in my office are also wonderful. Work from home a few days a week is a great benefit too.

ConsMorale is very low due to a general feeling of being unimportant or disposable. Many times promises are and then nothing happens. Pay has been frozen for many years for most.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you tell your people something is going to happen, follow through with it.

Large Company

Account Executive (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than a year

ProsThe AE role at Dell allows a significant amount of freedom and leeway to run your business how you would like. Decent pay - competitive with the industry.

ConsSince Dell has drastically underperformed in the recent past, there is a negative atmosphere. Also, as the company is shrinking, the opportunity for professional growth is extremely limited.

Management chain chaotic with lack of vision

Program Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay
Flexible working condition: allows working from home

ConsLacks long term vision to succeed. Everyone tends to only work for the moment without thinking how to achieve sustainable growth
Management chain is very unorganized and 'stacked' with many people reporting to managers that are in the same level
SW tools for the job are very cumbersome and slow
Employees operate under a 'knee-jerk' reaction environment with more emphasis on corrective actions after the fact rather than preventive measures to avoid problems from arising in the first place
Senior leadership team doesn't have vision nor the understanding of how to make the organization successful. They know they need to be in the market but do not commit the resources and budget necessary to achieve business goals
Management thinks heavily leveraging on overseas ODMs will make them successful. Innovation is not in the company's vocabulary
Certain managers think having multiple daily meetings on the same topic will solve all the problems. Main stakeholders are in so many meetings that they no longer have time to actually work the issues

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are either in or out. If you feel that being in a certain market segment is important, throw the necessary people and money in. Propagate the importance of supporting the team from top down and approach it with whatever-it-takes mentality to make everyone successful. Nourish internal innovation. Leveraging ODMs to achieve innovation will not cut it!

Good Company - Chaotic Environment

IT Analyst (Former Employee)
Buffalo Grove, IL

I worked at Dell full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat salaries, great benefits (especially insurance) and the importance of a good work/life balance is promoted until deadlines or pressure to achieve causes a change. Telecommuting is pretty much widespread and accepted as most work is drive by timely deliverables.

ConsRegular layoffs (many employees have been laid-off and rehired; laid-off and rehired) as many as three times -- probably due to concerns over quarterly earnings and any resulting fallout. This is true company-wide.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe hidden costs of disruption must be pretty high. Figure out what you absolutely need and what you don't and when offshoring doesn't work consider hiring contract workers in the US.

Stressful.

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Naperville, IL

I worked at Dell

ProsDell is a company undergoing transformation. They'll come out strong in the end, but they are very much driven by internal politics and managed via metrics/spreadsheets and not results.

- Great benefits
- Opporunity to advance
- Good people in general and kind
- Very good work/life balance
- Willing to let you move from one role to a disparate one to gain experience

ConsI think there is a complete disconnect between senior management and the trenches. They could use a little "undercover boss" action...

- Management by Excel
- Do not value loyalty and results
- Politics is king. Be good friends with your manager and his/her manager
- Metric driven to a fault... overlooking results
- Best 1st and 3rd job you'll ever have...
- Poor feedback, good or bad, for job performance. You'll never see it coming...

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease reward loyalty and performance. It's all about results in the end, not some metric. Someone can fulfill every metric created and still make poor decisions and cost the company money. If someone has a style and way with customers that produces results - reward that. Encourage it.

Get into the trenches with your employees and understand what they understand. See it from their point of view. You ask sales to do the same with your clients, you should do the same with your employees. Encourage feedback without fear of retribution.

Dell will not fail as a company, but is already stumbling as a culture.

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!

Dell – Why Work for Us?

The focus in Dell for our team members is very much on creating an environment where every individual can be their best and do their best work in service of our customers. Our philosophy toward people is to "build… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dell reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dell CEO Michael S. Dell. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Dell employees.