Dell

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell

Michael S. Dell

(1,938 ratings)

3,115 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance is amazing - remote/telecommute work is a huge part of the company culture"
    in 398 reviews
  • "That means I can sometimes attend kid's functions or work from home if needed"
    in 158 reviews
Cons:
  • "great work life balance with no hard driven ambitious people around"
    in 128 reviews
  • "If you are looking for a position, stick to a senior management position"
    in 70 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent pay & benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat salary, terrific benefits, great people, work life balance exists

Consvery little room for promotions, mobility is difficult, tough working environment

Opportunities for advancement were available

Program Manager (Current Employee)
Plano, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpportunities for growth were available.
Huge support for remote working.
Flexible work schedules available.
Salary comparable to market.

ConsNo real cons that I could determine

Dell has been an incredible place to work constantly offering new and challenging experiences.

Program Manager (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people at Dell are incredibly talented and easy to work with. The compensation structure is competitive. They recently eliminated the stacked racking and forced distribution of employees which brought much needed clarity to the performance management process. The company is well into a multi-year transformation from a computer maker to an end-to-end enterprise software, services, and solutions provider so the opportunity to be part of something historic and special is a lot of fun!

ConsIn the past, Dell has been a highly matrixed organization that changes too often reducing the ability to fully concentrate over the long term on meeting goals and objectives. Going private has helped reduce the short-term focus in favor of long-term results, but we still need to improve in this area.

Great place to learn if you can handle the constant change

Product Marketing Consultant (Current Employee)
Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 8 years

ProsVery fast paced with a lot of opportunity to learn and take on different challenges. If you get into a good team with a strong manager you can have fun and get a lot done.

ConsRapid churn, constant reorganizations, revolving door on management. Very little cross departmental communications resulting in duplication of efforts. People leaving and not being replaced leaves huge holes in your ability to get many things done.

Area Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI loved my team and my other business partners.

ConsSenior leadership had lost focus on what got Dell to the fortune 50 company it was at that time. Everyone knew the Computer and Services space was changing and Dell needed to change. But not taking ownership and sharing with the entire company and not just the Board of Directors was a mistake.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll levels of management were engaged and willing to get on board instead and make change. But instead everyone was in fear for their job as there wasn't a "shared vision" or something to get behind and innovate thus helping to drive change.

A great place to work, but too dependent on old philosophies and methods.

Sales Specialist (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe best part of working for Dell was the suitable work-life balance, great benefits, and reasonable salary. The ability to work remotely was a considerable difference maker in my review. Had it not been for the work-life balance allowed, the negatives would outweigh the positives. The bonuses for exceeding quota were also very nice, although the company did not seem to know how to appropriately set quota for the masses.

ConsThe sales structure is extremely antiquated and inefficient. At Dell, you multiple sales people focused on what he or she gets paid individually, as opposed to focusing on the greater good of the company as a whole. This could stem from Dell's history as an order taker/logistics master (burn and churn as many as possible). This barrier, mixed with unreasonable quotas that fluctuated drastically with no concrete explanation from upper management, created an atmosphere that was highly individualized, and not focused on the team or the customer for that matter.

Worse yet, Dell would seemingly much rather hire externally than promote from within. There were constant additions, and subsequent reductions in talent because the company would pay an outside hire much more than in inside team member would be offered. Outside hires would then constantly flame out after not understanding the speed and culture of Dell, further damaging customer relationships.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a sales structure that befits all members, fosters achievement and competition, but still maintains a customer focused approach. Also, customers value relationships over time. The constant shift in the company, (combining segments, moving accounts/account managers), creates very little value for the customer to choose Dell in what has rapidly become a commodity driven industry.

Offer your long standing talent more money for promotions/relocations.

Sr. System Implementation Advisor

Boston, MA

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCulture and people. Smart friendly work atmosphere. Not cut throat like most companies

ConsCompany is now in transition back to private so many changes within management. Everything is being moved to offshore to cut cost

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget your roots. Don't loose touch with the American workers that helped build the company or you will risk loosing many good people to your competitors

Account Manager

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Place for Work Life Balance

ConsNot allot. People are great. Market conditions are changing

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

great place to work

Business Systems Advisor (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat benefits, challenging work, good opportunities

Consneed more education opportunities, would be nice to have some sort of team gathering in person as most everyone works remote

A great place to learn, work, and develop your skills.

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDell worked hard to reward results. Networking is still important, but it is close to a meritocracy as can reasonably be expected.

ConsWith a company as large as Dell, it can be difficult to find ways to truly innovate. Dell works hard to develop you, but often loses their best employees to smaller companies who want to take advantage of Dell's investment.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder on finding ways to promote and reward your best employees. You need to keep more of the talent you develop.

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!

Dell – Why Work for Us?

The focus in Dell for our team members is very much on creating an environment where every individual can be their best and do their best work in service of our customers. Our philosophy toward people is to "build… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dell reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dell CEO Michael S. Dell. All 3,115 reviews posted anonymously by Dell employees.