Dell

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell

Michael S. Dell

(2,119 ratings)

3,431 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors"
    in 437 reviews
  • "Many employees work from home part of the week and in the office for the rest of the week"
    in 171 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance can be a myth if you are a manager working with global team"
    in 140 reviews
  • "If you are looking for a position, stick to a senior management position"
    in 74 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good culture but functionally fragmented

Austin, TX

ProsTeamwork and customer-centric. There is a natural passion for customers and everyone is on the same team when it counts. Good mobility within the company to experience different jobs and cross-functional roles. Finding the right mentor is key, and the people are more than willing to help you. Communication has improved considerably from top-down.

ConsSlow to change and functionally fragmented. Company operates still on the Sales transaction of a PC. This is the core of Dell (selling PCs); however, going private is intended to truly speed the strategy to a Solutions based IT provider... this includes evolving the Portfolio of products, Sales, Manufacturing, and Delivery of such solutions to the Customer. This evolution competes with the 'transactional model' and there is a much needed investment of People, Process, and Technology to enact change. Unfortunately, Dell is slow to change and there seems to be a lack of direction provided to the front line team members. This causes frustration and inconsistency across the end-to-end value chain (Sales, Manufacturing, Delivery). As well, there is a noticeable over-burdened team of Talent that is executing on the day-to-day mission in conjunction with being the key change agents. Customer experience can suffer as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccelerate change but do not sacrifice your customers. Set the direction, set the framework for change, enlist change agents to lead, drive the change across end-to-end functions (instead of 'pockets' of change that are not functionally integrated), don't impact the core of your largest accounts during this change

So many carrots....

Inside Sales Representative III (Former Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsDecent pay if you perform well, when you get all the necessary hat tricks to work from home it's cool, insurance and 401k benefits are good

ConsNever clear line of sight to compensation, huge discrepancy in salaries, I was there for over 7 years and in year 5 & 6 they were paying new sales reps off the street more than tenured reps! Very little room for growth in sales, even as top performer. I was told for 4 years I was "unreleasable"

Advice to Senior ManagementLevel the playing field for salaries, if emp a.) has 5 yrs and makes x then the same should go for emp b.) w/ the same tenure/stats. Also, offer a clear path to career advancement.

Dell is an ok place to work if you are a part of the "boys" club if not look elsewhere.

ProsFlexible schedules
    Personal time off
    Vacation
    Holiday pay
    Benefits

ConsMediocre management
    Cliques
    Pay
    Lack of advancement opportunities

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Services BU - High expectations, disappointing outcome

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Training opportunities via SkillSoft library and Social Media training
    - Technology refresh (always have a decent PC in warranty)
    - Virtual workplace (although alot of knowledge transfer, relationship building is lost)
    - HR practices, albeit horrible, are applied consistently

Cons- Services = India, period.
    - Poster child for diseconomies of scale
    - Success = looking/talking good vs. doing good. Too many VPs and EDs that are bringing zero value, no accountability, but have the right relationships.
    - Hardware is king. Services? Not so much...

Advice to Senior Management- When all the services are delivered out of India, what is your differentiator? Otherwise, congrats! You just created a slightly more expensive Wipro. It is well documented that India is becoming too expensive, disruptive, and companies are expressing interest in rural shoring models.
    - You will never achieve trusted advisor status with CIOs if the message to every employee, CE, AE, etc. is to drive Dell hardware down their throat vs. advise on the best solution (which sometimes is not Dell products, software, and services)
    - When key people ask for millions in investment stating Dell will get millions+ in revenue, and it doesn't materialize, get rid of them. Instead, you reorganize them under another leader losing history and accountability and those people spin a ït wasn't my fault"message. 'Lack of accountability and the higher levels is killing your revenue. The great ideas and thoughts to grow revenue are at the Director and below level.

Financially beneficial, but extremely dehumanizing experience

Dell Services Client Executive (Former Employee)

ProsAt a quick glance, Dell's desire to move into the IT services space makes perfect sense. The acquisition of many top services brands (e.g. Perot Systems, Boomi, SecureWorks, Wyse Technology, and many more), also makes good sense. From a personal perspective, the pay and benefits are excellent. I also enjoyed being part of a global company.

ConsI was with one of the acquired companies and have been in the IT services industry my entire career. As soon as we became part of Dell Services, I made it my mission in life to successfully transition to this larger, global company. It was a very exciting time an one that I embraced with enthusiasm. By all performance metrics, I was very successful. I also made more money with Dell than at any other time in my career. Unfortunately, it was a very stressful and dissatisfying experience overall.

What became apparent very quickly is that Dell's approach to services is similar to it's approach to hardware. In hardware sales, once the paperwork is signed and the equipment is delivered, the work is essentially done. In services, once the paperwork is signed, the real work just begins (now it is time to deliver). The need to form 'trusted adviser' relationships with customers and to put the right measures in place to ensure exceptional customer service on a consistent basis is not understood by Dell senior leadership. While Dell appreciates the value of high NPS (customer satisfaction - Net Promoter Survey) scores, the focus is strictly on the scores and not the steps that need to be taken to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction. The primary focus of services is on sale of new business and cost reduction efforts.

Dell literally performs workforce reductions every month. That's right every single month. Worse yet, leadership responsible for affected employees is not involved or even consulted as to who will be let go (this is done exclusively by HR). As you can imagine this often results in very inappropriate decisions that directly impact service levels, customer relationships, and (surviving) employees morale. It is important to point out that leaders often only find out an employee who reports to them is being let go as the same time as the affected employee. Another aspect of the cost-cutting focus is a huge push to send as many jobs overseas as possible, regardless of any diminished quality of service that may result. I've been in this industry for several decades and trust me, many roles can be done anywhere with little disruption to quality of service; however, there are also many that should not be moved offshore. Dell errors on the side of offshoring and the impact is often obvious to its customers.

Finally, Dell seems to think that similar to a hardware assembly line, where an army of individuals will each perform a single task as part of an overall assembly, services functions should also be fragmented to an extreme degree. Unfortunately, the result of having relatively simply functions distributed across so many individuals located in so many geographic areas, is that when any issues occur (which happens frequently in any services business) it is very difficult to find the source of the problem and/or find anyone to be accountable for a resolution. It is very unlikely that any issue will be resolved before it impacts the customer. Issues that might have taken a couple hours or days to resolve in a more traditional organization often take weeks and even months to resolve with Dell's fragmented workforce approach. Try explaining to your customer why your company still hasn't resolved a minor issue after several weeks. The experience left me, and the majority of my peers, feeling helpless on a regular basis.

I could go on and on and provide many specific examples, names, dates, and details, but hopefully you get the point. It is extremely stressful knowing that, regardless of job performance, you or one of your valued team members could be on HR's hit list in next month's workforce reduction. Dealing with the constant service delivery issues and extraordinarily slow resolution to those issues results in chronic frustration and stress, especially for those on the 'front lines', who constantly have to smooth things over with the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest Dell leadership learn a little more about 'cause and effect'. Buying up great companies is not a bad thing; however, if you want to continue to grow at an accelerated pace, you need to focus much more on the basic 'blocking and tackling' of delivering unparalleled customer service and show some measure of loyalty to your employees (after all, in services, your employees are to a large degree the 'product' that you're selling).

Great place to work, but no room for growth.

Sales Support Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat flexible schedule and benefits.

ConsNo where to move up.

Dell Abuses Contractors

Saint Cloud, MN

Prosfair with there wage.

Consmaybe it was the dell employees that i worked for. I felt as though i was carrying other people's workloads and the manager did absolutely nothing about it. They expected way to much work in a normal work day.
    they neglected to inform me or third party employer of the last day of my contract. they just canceled my security pass at the gate.

Advice to Senior Managementyou may want to rethink the dell employees at a St. Cloud MN location, if you go thruough alot of contractors. from what i heard you have gone thru over 6 in 5 years

Can be financially rewarding, but must deal with stress.

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsFast paced environment. A big deal is seemingly always around the corner. While commissions are capped it still possible to make a great living working for this company. Always enjoyed my co-workers.

ConsStress related management styles and the constant reinvention of strategies eventually wear you out.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to bring the human element back to the environment. Gift cards and contests are great short term motivators but after while all it feels like is a bribe to put up with the constant flux in strategies of the company that produce mid sales cycle comp plan changes, loss of active accounts for no real reason, etc.

Not too happy

ProsLot of department openings and it helps people to move to better roles

ConsWork culture and facilities provided are not satisfactory

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest on you employees , if you keep them happy , you keep customers happy .

A constant attempt to keep up with the steady rising quota demands.

Inside Sales Representative II (Current Employee)
    Oklahoma City, OK

ProsThe pay was decent, nice work environment and equipment.

ConsThe sales team in my department had an unrealistic quota of $1.6 million per quarter (per person), and this continued to rise higher each quarter. The problem was, Dell computers and servers were not in demand, and the business model that most people knew was one of low cost consumer computers. I worked long hours to no avail, and was in the end miserable at the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe they may have made some adjustments with the company going private last year. Focus on services, and train the sales team on how to sale the new acquisitions.

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!

Dell Videos

Dell – Why Work for Us?

With more than 100,000 team members globally, we promote an environment that is rooted in the entrepreneurial spirit in which the company was founded. Dell’s team members are committed to serving our communities… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dell reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dell CEO Michael S. Dell. All 3,431 reviews posted anonymously by Dell employees.