Dell

3.3 3,480 reviews

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell

Michael S. Dell

(2,155 ratings)

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors(in 463 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed(in 156 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a myth if you are a manager working with global team(in 145 reviews)

• If you are looking for a position, stick to a senior management position(in 74 reviews)

3,480 Employee Reviews

Great place to work, but no room for growth.

Sales Support Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat flexible schedule and benefits.

ConsNo where to move up.

Dell is an ok place to work if you are a part of the "boys" club if not look elsewhere.

ProsFlexible schedules
    Personal time off
    Vacation
    Holiday pay
    Benefits

ConsMediocre management
    Cliques
    Pay
    Lack of advancement opportunities

Life At Dell

Services (Current Employee) Round Rock, TX

ProsFast paced, interesting work. Pays better than many other area employers. Opportunity for job changes and promotions. Bonus is nice.

ConsConstant changes, lots or reorgs. Like with any large company there is a large amount of politicking that goes on. Networking is key to success.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop reorging

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So many carrots....

Inside Sales Representative III (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsDecent pay if you perform well, when you get all the necessary hat tricks to work from home it's cool, insurance and 401k benefits are good

ConsNever clear line of sight to compensation, huge discrepancy in salaries, I was there for over 7 years and in year 5 & 6 they were paying new sales reps off the street more than tenured reps! Very little room for growth in sales, even as top performer. I was told for 4 years I was "unreleasable"

Advice to Senior ManagementLevel the playing field for salaries, if emp a.) has 5 yrs and makes x then the same should go for emp b.) w/ the same tenure/stats. Also, offer a clear path to career advancement.

Services BU - High expectations, disappointing outcome

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Training opportunities via SkillSoft library and Social Media training
    - Technology refresh (always have a decent PC in warranty)
    - Virtual workplace (although alot of knowledge transfer, relationship building is lost)
    - HR practices, albeit horrible, are applied consistently

Cons- Services = India, period.
    - Poster child for diseconomies of scale
    - Success = looking/talking good vs. doing good. Too many VPs and EDs that are bringing zero value, no accountability, but have the right relationships.
    - Hardware is king. Services? Not so much...

Advice to Senior Management- When all the services are delivered out of India, what is your differentiator? Otherwise, congrats! You just created a slightly more expensive Wipro. It is well documented that India is becoming too expensive, disruptive, and companies are expressing interest in rural shoring models.
    - You will never achieve trusted advisor status with CIOs if the message to every employee, CE, AE, etc. is to drive Dell hardware down their throat vs. advise on the best solution (which sometimes is not Dell products, software, and services)
    - When key people ask for millions in investment stating Dell will get millions+ in revenue, and it doesn't materialize, get rid of them. Instead, you reorganize them under another leader losing history and accountability and those people spin a ït wasn't my fault"message. 'Lack of accountability and the higher levels is killing your revenue. The great ideas and thoughts to grow revenue are at the Director and below level.

Dell Abuses Contractors

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Saint Cloud, MN

Prosfair with there wage.

Consmaybe it was the dell employees that i worked for. I felt as though i was carrying other people's workloads and the manager did absolutely nothing about it. They expected way to much work in a normal work day.
    they neglected to inform me or third party employer of the last day of my contract. they just canceled my security pass at the gate.

Advice to Senior Managementyou may want to rethink the dell employees at a St. Cloud MN location, if you go thruough alot of contractors. from what i heard you have gone thru over 6 in 5 years

Can be financially rewarding, but must deal with stress.

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsFast paced environment. A big deal is seemingly always around the corner. While commissions are capped it still possible to make a great living working for this company. Always enjoyed my co-workers.

ConsStress related management styles and the constant reinvention of strategies eventually wear you out.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to bring the human element back to the environment. Gift cards and contests are great short term motivators but after while all it feels like is a bribe to put up with the constant flux in strategies of the company that produce mid sales cycle comp plan changes, loss of active accounts for no real reason, etc.

A constant attempt to keep up with the steady rising quota demands.

Inside Sales Representative II (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsThe pay was decent, nice work environment and equipment.

ConsThe sales team in my department had an unrealistic quota of $1.6 million per quarter (per person), and this continued to rise higher each quarter. The problem was, Dell computers and servers were not in demand, and the business model that most people knew was one of low cost consumer computers. I worked long hours to no avail, and was in the end miserable at the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe they may have made some adjustments with the company going private last year. Focus on services, and train the sales team on how to sale the new acquisitions.

Great company

ProsSalary, fast pace, highly talented team members, flexible work environment

Consbudget cuts, lack of fun, limited long term incentives

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Development manager, Resonsible for development by supplier and internally

Development Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsAustin is a great ciy. Dell is an excellent company to work for

ConsNot available as experiencewas great

Advice to Senior ManagementI love working as technical management. Developing from scratch projects and take them to market

Dell Candidate and Employee Experience Team responded to this review

Jun 17, 2014

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us!

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!