Dell

3.3 3,480 reviews

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell

Michael S. Dell

(2,154 ratings)

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors(in 463 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed(in 156 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a myth if you are a manager working with global team(in 145 reviews)

• If you are looking for a position, stick to a senior management position(in 74 reviews)

3,480 Employee Reviews

Great

Prostime off, office culture, promotions

Consleadership, favoritism, load of work

Review

ProsDiversity, good pay, flex working hours and work from home is very common

Consno job security, laying off happens every month, company shrinking and very cheap, thus not very developmental at all, you have to be both good at your job and very political (sometimes to an unprofessional level) to get ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to lay off some management too instead of only employees who actually do the work. Start really drive meritocracy vs. political games.

Jun 27, 2014

We value your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to review us. We will share your feedback with the leadership team.

Senior Project Management Consultant

Senior Project Management Consultant (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood work life balance.

ConsNeed to talk more than do more to get promoted.Management is very much bent on promoting people who talk. People who do and do not wave their flags, get sidelined.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

General big company experience.

Sales Support Analyst (Former Employee) Nashua, NH

ProsPay and benefits are good. A number of fun events take place throughout the year.
    Many opportunities to give back to the community.

ConsTools for the job are too many or too few depending on the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of listening.

Jun 23, 2014

Thank you for posting your experience with Dell and how we can improve. In particular, there are a number of initiatives across the company to not only improve our processes and tools but also ... More

Compassionate but challenging

Tier II Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsPromotions are plentiful for those with the skills and drive to succeed. The management staff care about their employees on a personal level, and still call me to this day to check in on me since I was forced to leave due to a medical condition. It's a fun place to work and very accepting of individuality and encouraging of non-conformist approaches that increase efficiency and accuracy.

ConsEmployees who become complacent can drag down other employees with potential, and there tends to be a huge and unfounded paranoia of unfair business practices. Rest assured, those who actually put in the effort are handsomely rewarded. This is not a company where you can "do your time" and expect automatic reward, and many employees get miffed at that.

Advice to Senior ManagementCull the negative nannies if at all possible.

Jun 17, 2014

Thank you for your honest comments about your experience with the company. We have shared your thoughts with our leadership team.

Opportunities abound

Director (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThere is no shortage of opportunities to prove your worth, solve customer issues, and create your own career path. If you're a self starter and motivated to succeed, you can go far. Benefits are excellent as well.

ConsAs the company has grown, the bureaucracy has as well. Culture is very different across different organizations - understand what you are moving into. Work life balance can go out of control if you are not careful - but if you manage it well you can find great flexibility.

Jul 9, 2014

Great advice here! At Dell, we provide quite a bit of flexibility and autonomy to our team members. As we all know, however, in this day and age, we do not work 9-5! Our team members are encouraged ... More

Dell has great culture, fantastic leadership, and opportunity for advancement.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGoal-oriented, team environment, awards excellence, opportunity to advance or transfer. Great bonus awards for up selling.

ConsSchedule is based on metrics, long hours of sitting in a cubicle especially during seasonal or holiday peak times.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/a

Great place to learn from amazing people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosflexible work schedule, room for growth, emphasis on health and wellness

Consgetting simple things accomplished can be difficult due to the level of processes involved.

Jun 17, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with Dell. We agree, the people are the best part of our company and culture! We have shared your comments with our leadership team.

Booming in Services Industry. Newer Senior Executives from Infosys and other service industries joining Dell Services

Software Development Senior Advisor (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsSalary is negotiable and good. Long term clients, low billing rates hence work is relaxed

ConsDell Fires, Popular slogan 'Dell is Hell'; No Hikes over the last3 years, so lots of attrition and frustration among old employees. All immigration processes(Green Card Processing) are put on hold

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease give immediate hikes to employees.

Nice place to work

Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsBest food ever! Nice ppl all around. Management is okay, all depends on you. Decent work life balance.

ConsPay is on the lower end.

Advice to Senior Managementprovide more training. and advancement opportunities not only for ppl who have been to every dept. or thats been at the company forever.

Jul 9, 2014

Thanks for the review! Sounds like you had a positive experience while with Dell! Please know that we are always looking at innovative and new ways to reward our best performing team members.

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!