Dell

3,726 Reviews

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell
Michael S. Dell
2,291 Ratings

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors (in 468 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed (in 158 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can become a challenge; frequent reorganizations affect work quality (in 146 reviews)

• The senior management reporting to Michael is very uneven with a couple of real bozos (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

101 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Help Desk Support

Current Employee - Help Desk Support  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Help Desk Support in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dell as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I believe in this company. Smart people. Nice, informal, environment.. Good online training support. Quick way to learn what you don't know, should know, and need to learn, asap!. As a matter of fact, I plan to re-apply once I have learned all I need to know to perform the job with confidence and excellence.

Cons

I side-jocked with other agents for two weeks. The call center trainer was nice and knowledgeable but he was also elusive and disengaged until the third week. My one on one with him did not occur until the 3rd week. The trainer said that it was "not cost efficient" to train just one person and that he was waiting for more trainees to join the class before he trained me. The supervisor kept saying that was going to sit down with me and show me a few things but he was busy and never got around to it. When the manager saw that I was still side-jocking and not taking calls on my own after three week, he terminated my contract.

Offer simulations to trainees and new hires from day one! Ensure that trainee's are familiar with the Help Desk ticketing system and how to document and resolve tickets. Don't expect or just assume that they are going to know everything there is to know about the Help Desk just because they may have a certification or experience in some unrelated IT area. Show more tolerance and faith in your contract workers and/or new hires by extending your training on the "How-To's": how-to authenticate users; how- to connect through remote assistance;how-to help users connect to the VPN,; how-to re-assign tokens; push software; map a network drive; re-image a computer; etc. And give them tutorials on the various types of business and preparatory software you use.

Cog in the machine

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative III  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative III in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The benefits are great & you get a lot of time off. The people you work with are very nice & there are opportunities to advance if you're willing to relocate & know how to play the politics of the office

Cons

The pay has been flat for many years, not keeping in line with the number of responsibilities & products that have been added to the role, in addition to not keeping in line with inflation & the cost of living. There is a success tax: the better you do, the more is asked of you for the same or sometimes even less pay.

Start caring about the people again & not just the numbers. Years ago Dell was a place that cared about it's employees first, the bottom line second. That mentality has been gone for some time.

Too many metrics

Former Employee - Senior Client Support Specialist  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Client Support Specialist in Nashville, TN

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, great pay for entry level tech support agent. Troubleshooting experience is invaluable

Cons

Metrics.......impossible to meet the many many metrics that are used to judge performance.

Get rid of the metrics that don't mean much.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Administrative Assistant with Dell for over 14 years

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay. Generous and ethical company

Cons

very vulnerable to race claims. Blacks are treated with kid gloves

If not sales, you are nothing

Former Employee - Tech Supporr  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Tech Supporr in Nashville, TN

I worked at Dell full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good knowledge base for troubleshooting
    Work hours were reasonable and had great benefits like onsite gym and cafeteria
    Leads were knowledgeable about some most issues

Cons

Manager had no idea how to run a call center.
    If you are not sales you got 0 perks, but enjoyed seeing then prance around with paid lunches while we worked to fix a grandmother being sold an Alienware and all she wanted was to check email

Actually act like tech support is the bread and butter since that is the service you are selling

Client Sr. Tech Support

Current Employee - Senior Client Technical Support Associate  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Client Technical Support Associate in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good first job. Good environment as far as cleanliness and support for your current role.

Cons

Schedule changes every 3 months, no technical jobs to advance into in the Nashville location...only manager positions available.

Stop lying to your employees about what changes are going to effect us.

Good overall experience

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Dell full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity to move up in your current role or branch out in to different areas of the companies. Lots of support roles if your not interested in being an out front sales person. Lots of training, mostly done by the team lead/manager.

Cons

Very big company with lots of disconnect between upper management and the sales people.

Just a number

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative IV  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative IV in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits and work/life balance. Working from home a major plus.

Cons

No corporate identity right now. Just do your work and go home. What happened? I've been here for 10+ years and it's never felt like this.

Great income for sales, but no job security even for high performers

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative III  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative III in Nashville, TN

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great income and fast upward movement possible for sales, at least.

Relationship Sales is challenging and rewarding, and the Nashville culture is pretty great most of the time.

Vendor-sponsored product fairs and lunch 'n' learns provide free food and random trinkets regularly - this can be a con too if you can't say no to Gigi's cupcakes once in a while!!

Cons

Management is hit or miss because they usually promote interested high-performing sales reps to management - and a good sales rep is not always a good manager. Some are really good, and a few are terrible.

Not enough communication about how quotas are set, so they often seem arbitrary and sometimes unfair.

Activity metrics aren't hard to hit, but don't usually have any direct correlation to results and can be a distraction from other activities that actually produce better results. Furthermore, they make the activity metrics a requirement to keep work from home perks, so if working from home a couple of days a week is important to you, the distraction is absolutely required.

In sales, there are constant rumors about massive layoffs coming down the pike, because they do happen and it's often the people who have been around a long time and performed consistently who are the first to go. If you've had one bad quarter and the layoff comes at the end of that quarter, you're likely to be on the chopping block. Especially if you've received some merit increases in salary over the years and sit at the high end of the pay scale for your group/division. Granted, all of this was before the company went private and so it may have changed. Probably not... :)

Find a way to consider long-term consistent performance over the "what have you done for me this quarter" mentality - customers don't like changing reps all the time, so it just doesn't make sense to keep up the revolving door. It costs you more to hire and train a new person than to give someone who's had a bad quarter or two a chance to turn things around.

Dell Response

Jul 14, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your thorough review and your honesty. We have a process whereby we share the reviews on Glassdoor with our leadership team that is critical to our future improvements and success ... More

Lots of opportunity for driven individuals

Former Employee - Services Manager  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Services Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

work/life balance, growth opportunity, pay, benefits

Cons

Upper management never "lets the dust settle" and is constantly changing the comp plan and account alignments to course correct results. Need to allow reps to cultivate business over time instead of changing how things work every quarter.

see cons

Dell Response

Jul 9, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your review! We agree, there has been quite a bit of change within Dell. Recently, there has been more change as we created global business units to better serve our customers as well ... More

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!