Dell

3,632 Reviews

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell
Michael S. Dell
2,245 Ratings

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors (in 468 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed (in 158 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can become a challenge; frequent reorganizations affect work quality (in 146 reviews)

• The senior management reporting to Michael is very uneven with a couple of real bozos (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

101 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Help Desk Support

Current Employee - Help Desk Support  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Help Desk Support in Nashville, TN

Pros

I believe in this company. Smart people. Nice, informal, environment.. Good online training support. Quick way to learn what you don't know, should know, and need to learn, asap!. As a matter of fact, I plan to re-apply once I have learned all I need to know to perform the job with confidence and excellence.

Cons

I side-jocked with other agents for two weeks. The call center trainer was nice and knowledgeable but he was also elusive and disengaged until the third week. My one on one with him did not occur until the 3rd week. The trainer said that it was "not cost efficient" to train just one person and that he was waiting for more trainees to join the class before he trained me. The supervisor kept saying that was going to sit down with me and show me a few things but he was busy and never got around to it. When the manager saw that I was still side-jocking and not taking calls on my own after three week, he terminated my contract.

Offer simulations to trainees and new hires from day one! Ensure that trainee's are familiar with the Help Desk ticketing system and how to document and resolve tickets. Don't expect or just assume that they are going to know everything there is to know about the Help Desk just because they may have a certification or experience in some unrelated IT area. Show more tolerance and faith in your contract workers and/or new hires by extending your training on the "How-To's": how-to authenticate users; how- to connect through remote assistance;how-to help users connect to the VPN,; how-to re-assign tokens; push software; map a network drive; re-image a computer; etc. And give them tutorials on the various types of business and preparatory software you use.

If not sales, you are nothing

Former Employee - Tech Supporr  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Tech Supporr in Nashville, TN

Pros

Good knowledge base for troubleshooting
    Work hours were reasonable and had great benefits like onsite gym and cafeteria
    Leads were knowledgeable about some most issues

Cons

Manager had no idea how to run a call center.
    If you are not sales you got 0 perks, but enjoyed seeing then prance around with paid lunches while we worked to fix a grandmother being sold an Alienware and all she wanted was to check email

Actually act like tech support is the bread and butter since that is the service you are selling

Client Sr. Tech Support

Current Employee - Senior Client Technical Support Associate  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Client Technical Support Associate in Nashville, TN

Pros

Good first job. Good environment as far as cleanliness and support for your current role.

Cons

Schedule changes every 3 months, no technical jobs to advance into in the Nashville location...only manager positions available.

Stop lying to your employees about what changes are going to effect us.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just a number

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative IV  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative IV in Nashville, TN

Pros

Great benefits and work/life balance. Working from home a major plus.

Cons

No corporate identity right now. Just do your work and go home. What happened? I've been here for 10+ years and it's never felt like this.

Good overall experience

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Nashville, TN

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity to move up in your current role or branch out in to different areas of the companies. Lots of support roles if your not interested in being an out front sales person. Lots of training, mostly done by the team lead/manager.

Cons

Very big company with lots of disconnect between upper management and the sales people.

Micro-managed, low pay for volumes produced

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Nashville, TN

Pros

The people/ co-workers were great to work with. Free lunches were nice.

Cons

Poor senior management at the regional level. Way too many delays in promotions and "on hold" movement within the organization. The pay was too low for the overall volumes in sales that were created.

Great income for sales, but no job security even for high performers

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative III  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative III in Nashville, TN

Pros

Great income and fast upward movement possible for sales, at least.

Relationship Sales is challenging and rewarding, and the Nashville culture is pretty great most of the time.

Vendor-sponsored product fairs and lunch 'n' learns provide free food and random trinkets regularly - this can be a con too if you can't say no to Gigi's cupcakes once in a while!!

Cons

Management is hit or miss because they usually promote interested high-performing sales reps to management - and a good sales rep is not always a good manager. Some are really good, and a few are terrible.

Not enough communication about how quotas are set, so they often seem arbitrary and sometimes unfair.

Activity metrics aren't hard to hit, but don't usually have any direct correlation to results and can be a distraction from other activities that actually produce better results. Furthermore, they make the activity metrics a requirement to keep work from home perks, so if working from home a couple of days a week is important to you, the distraction is absolutely required.

In sales, there are constant rumors about massive layoffs coming down the pike, because they do happen and it's often the people who have been around a long time and performed consistently who are the first to go. If you've had one bad quarter and the layoff comes at the end of that quarter, you're likely to be on the chopping block. Especially if you've received some merit increases in salary over the years and sit at the high end of the pay scale for your group/division. Granted, all of this was before the company went private and so it may have changed. Probably not... :)

Find a way to consider long-term consistent performance over the "what have you done for me this quarter" mentality - customers don't like changing reps all the time, so it just doesn't make sense to keep up the revolving door. It costs you more to hire and train a new person than to give someone who's had a bad quarter or two a chance to turn things around.

Dell Response

Jul 14, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your thorough review and your honesty. We have a process whereby we share the reviews on Glassdoor with our leadership team that is critical to our future improvements and success ... More

Lots of opportunity for driven individuals

Former Employee - Services Manager  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Services Manager in Nashville, TN

Pros

work/life balance, growth opportunity, pay, benefits

Cons

Upper management never "lets the dust settle" and is constantly changing the comp plan and account alignments to course correct results. Need to allow reps to cultivate business over time instead of changing how things work every quarter.

see cons

Dell Response

Jul 9, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your review! We agree, there has been quite a bit of change within Dell. Recently, there has been more change as we created global business units to better serve our customers as well ... More

It's definitely not for everyone, but overall it is a great place to start a career and make some money along the way!

Current Employee - Technical Sales Representative  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

Pros

Good Pay especially for Nashville. They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed. Ability to move up fast. I have been promoted twice in a year and a half. Alot of the negative reviews have been on the ISR side (minions of business sales). In the TSR role (Advanced Systems Group ) there is a different vibe altogether. They put alot more into you (4months training vs 3 weeks for ISR) You are a server and storage specialist vs a single point of contact/'account manager' so they treat you without alot more value. There is also alot more room for growth in ASG as a TSR. The management is stellar in ASG. I haven't had a bad boss yet. They also have lunch and learns once or twice a week where a vendor or Dell Specialist will provide free food and train you on various IT solutions. The cafeteria is comparable to a college food court with 20+ options to eat for breakfast and lunch everyday. The dress code is extremely casual. During summer shorts are okay. Tshirt and Jeans are the attire of choice for the majority. They also tend to only hire from referrals and pay big money to current employees if their candidate gets hired and stays 90 days. I got 2 people hired on within a week of each other and after taxes, HR cut me a check for $1500! Overall Dell is pretty awesome and your direct managers generally care alot about you. The money is great too! Not uncommon for TSR's to get 10k+ bonuses in a single quarter!

Cons

It's getting better (At least in my territory) but there for a while the ISRs were getting paid on how many new opps they have added to the pipeline. With the account churn revolving new account teams twice a year, you have to spend an entire quarter most of the time just to weed out what's legit and what is complete BS in your pipeline before you have a realistic gameplan of attack. Once your reps know how valuable you are to them and you arent a complete pushover they won't add near as many fake opps. Hierarchies require High Activity Metrics (30 calls/3hr TT/day) that have absolutely zero correlation to success. (Team with lowest metrics was highest attaining team $$$$ in the USA, and the team with the most metrics barely hit 65% as a team.. if that helps paint the picture for you) Currently I have over 5,000 accounts and serve as an over lay for over 35 ISRs. Managing this can be a challenge. It's a high stress job. Alot of the day consists of "check the box" corporate practices that mainly distract you from your present tasks. Alot of reps that I overlay for lack intuition and have ZERO business sense and do not get the big picture. I've seen them waste weeks over small 5k deals and watch 100k+ opps buy from competitors.There is a program called "Champions" in ASG, that they use to rank you based on level 1-4 certifications which the TSR's have to take online courses, classroom labs, etc. They take over 90min each and about 20 courses are "required" every quarter. They are impossible to do at work with how much work we have with such large account sets. Some of it is good for learning, however most of the content is not retained because you never use it. It is impossible to ramp beyond 1 or 2 promotions without being a level 3+. So if you want a lengthy career, get ready to spend some nights and weekends at home doing champions courses ;) Overall these cons are really not that bad in the grand scheme of things. The Pros def outweigh them. I made over 70k my first year so I can deal with alot of stuff as long as the ched keeps flowing ;)

Keep doing your thing. Not much managers can do since they ultimately just filter what corporate trickle gets to you. My manager has had my back in many situations. Senior management could be a bit more realistic of what goes on on the sales rows. After all we are a huge corporation so you can't pay too much attention to everything.

Can be financially rewarding, but must deal with stress.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

Pros

Fast paced environment. A big deal is seemingly always around the corner. While commissions are capped it still possible to make a great living working for this company. Always enjoyed my co-workers.

Cons

Stress related management styles and the constant reinvention of strategies eventually wear you out.

Find ways to bring the human element back to the environment. Gift cards and contests are great short term motivators but after while all it feels like is a bribe to put up with the constant flux in strategies of the company that produce mid sales cycle comp plan changes, loss of active accounts for no real reason, etc.

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!