Dell

3.3 3,478 reviews

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell

Michael S. Dell

(2,152 ratings)

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors(in 463 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed(in 156 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a myth if you are a manager working with global team(in 145 reviews)

• If you are looking for a position, stick to a senior management position(in 74 reviews)

3,478 Employee Reviews

Great company and Great Benefits

Senior Manager Dell Secureworks (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat people, great corporate Executive Structure, Ownership is terrific. Company is on solid footing. Great Corporate bonuses based on performance of the company. Great work/life balance. PC benefits and E-deals are terrific.. Company has some solid partners like Secureworks...

ConsSome of the Systems need to be consolidated to make work easier...

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue what your doing. Continue investing in people leaders... Impressed with Michael Dell. One of the most respected CEO in the business

Flexible hours and opportunity to do various line of work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Round Rock, TX

ProsCompany is good about internal transfer and given employees chance to try new line of work. Flexible hours makes it easy to joggle work/life responsibilities.

ConsGlobal team makes the work hour 24/7. Get lost easily in the process and politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in employees. Don't treat them like a number.

The Customer is #1 at Dell

Intelligence Engineer (Current Employee) Edina, MN

ProsDell promotes the best culture I've ever seen in a company. Our customers are at the absolute center of what we do and how we do it. The people I work with are amazing at all levels, above and below.

ConsWe're transitioning into a private company. There are a lot of hiccups with this in regards to compensation, year-end-reviews, etc.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for!

ProsI love that every day at work I am learning and being challenged. My co-worker's are great and the atmosphere is upbeat. The expectations are high, but Dell provides all the tools necessary for you to excel at your job.

ConsThe job is demanding, many hours are put in and there is always more to do. With that said, it is part of the reason I love my job.

Overall great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsGreat place to work, great people, benefits, and pay.

ConsThere is a large disconnect between upper management and the day to day operations that run the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake an interest and learn more about the business you're managing.

Great income for sales, but no job security even for high performers

Inside Sales Representative III (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGreat income and fast upward movement possible for sales, at least.

Relationship Sales is challenging and rewarding, and the Nashville culture is pretty great most of the time.

Vendor-sponsored product fairs and lunch 'n' learns provide free food and random trinkets regularly - this can be a con too if you can't say no to Gigi's cupcakes once in a while!!

ConsManagement is hit or miss because they usually promote interested high-performing sales reps to management - and a good sales rep is not always a good manager. Some are really good, and a few are terrible.

Not enough communication about how quotas are set, so they often seem arbitrary and sometimes unfair.

Activity metrics aren't hard to hit, but don't usually have any direct correlation to results and can be a distraction from other activities that actually produce better results. Furthermore, they make the activity metrics a requirement to keep work from home perks, so if working from home a couple of days a week is important to you, the distraction is absolutely required.

In sales, there are constant rumors about massive layoffs coming down the pike, because they do happen and it's often the people who have been around a long time and performed consistently who are the first to go. If you've had one bad quarter and the layoff comes at the end of that quarter, you're likely to be on the chopping block. Especially if you've received some merit increases in salary over the years and sit at the high end of the pay scale for your group/division. Granted, all of this was before the company went private and so it may have changed. Probably not... :)

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to consider long-term consistent performance over the "what have you done for me this quarter" mentality - customers don't like changing reps all the time, so it just doesn't make sense to keep up the revolving door. It costs you more to hire and train a new person than to give someone who's had a bad quarter or two a chance to turn things around.

Dell Candidate and Employee Experience Team responded to this review

Jul 14, 2014

Thank you for your thorough review and your honesty. We have a process whereby we share the reviews on Glassdoor with our leadership team that is critical to our future improvements and success ... More

Huge company, all depends on the group you're in

Systems Senior Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsDell is a very large global company with "team members" in all regions. There are a number of small companies within Dell, some from way back, some from recent acquisitions. Each small company comes with its own very different methods, leadership styles and expectations. The resounding culture of Dell that slowly seeps into all business units is: laid back. This is the advantage of working for a company based out of Austin, TX. Austin is about as laid back as it gets and so are the people who live there. That said, it's all about the group you land in.

-WFH is great, I don't know how I'd go back to a regular office

-Pay and bonuses are at the higher end of industry standard, way above typical "operational IT".

-Time off is adequate and there is never a debate as to when or how long you can take at one time.

-When you do have to visit a Dell campus, dress is casual. Shorts, flip-flops if you want.

-Unless you work in IT, life balance is great. No calls after biz hours, no one bothers you on vacation, great balance.

-If you work in one of the Product Groups you contribute to a profit center, vs being a COST center in IT. Big difference.

-Culture of forgiveness and 2nd chances. For good or for bad, Dell is very forgiving, to a fault in many cases.

-Summer work hours = work ends at 2pm Friday 3 mos out of the year.

Cons-Being such a large company, relationships can be complex. There are a ton of people in a ton of different orgs to deal with. This can be daunting and make getting what you need to get done more difficult if you hit roadblocks.

-Tons of old dead wood around. 10+ year Dell long timers who managed to stick around slow everything down and drive mediocrity through the roof. Lot's of "I'm too busy", "not my job", "I don't know, ask someone else" going on here.

-Processed to death. Dell lives and dies by its processes which are massive and require training. These are changing currently in an attempt to streamline but many of these processes inhibit creativity and innovation, not foster them.

-Working remote means harder to climb the career ladder. It's not impossible just much more difficult since you're just that voice on speaker phone vs guy we see every day.

-Internal IT services are a huge problem at Dell. BYOD consists of running the GOOD app on your smartphone to access email. Tons of services need to be extranetted. 256MB mailboxes are a JOKE in 2014, but sadly our standard. No access to anything but OWA unless you VPN in on a corporate laptop. Verrrry legacy IT model even tho we build solutions and products to support the BYOD movement.

-HR titles for positions are very confusing to a potential hire. Coming in the door you have no idea what level you're being brought in at relative to who your peers will be. Get brought in low and you will have to fight to get to the rung equal with your peers.

-Career paths work ok if you're fairly early in your career. For the 15+ year types, once you reach the director-level IC equivalent, it can be hard to move beyond it. Exec dirs and VPs are almost always hired from outside.

-Re-orgs are frequent and plentiful, on my team at least. 1 per year on average, the pot gets stirred in a pretty major way.

-Upward exposure depends ENTIRELY on which functional group you're in. Ironically, marketing/ planning gets the most exec exposure. Engineering gets almost zero. Guess who makes most of the decisions and actually makes things happen?

-Execs and VPs are businessmen, pure and simple, they follow the money. They are not leaders and provide severely limited guidance or direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to hire and RETAIN top talent, you have to pay us to do so. There is way too much competition in the hi-tech space to be cutting bonuses and delaying merit increases. Pay attention to your engineering groups! Not just the directors, figure out who actually matters and where the good ideas really come from!

Great

POS Management (Former Employee) Round Rock, TX

ProsVendor fairs, great pay, great benefits, family values, community driven,

ConsI have no Cons at all

Good place to work with room to move around and grow

Sales Support Adviser (Former Employee) Round Rock, TX

ProsCould change positions regularly, allowed to work from home, good benefits. Great people.

ConsConstantly changing priorities, "long term" initiatives dropped as soon as close rate or revenue for the quarter drop. Archaic IT infrastructure a patchwork of segment specific systems not designed to work with each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend the capital necessary to fully upgrade the order management and supporting systems and bring them into the 21st century. Have a single, cohesive go-to-market strategy that includes all segments and offline sales. You are competing against yourself.

Awesome company to work for!

ProsGreat salary, perks and work life balance

ConsLots of org changes happening every 6 months. You never know when your role might change without any prior notice :)

Advice to Senior ManagementNurture stability among employee community

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!