Dell Reviews

4,415 Reviews
Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell
Michael S. Dell
2,647 Ratings

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors (in 557 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed (in 245 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can become a challenge; frequent reorganizations affect work quality (in 170 reviews)

• The senior management reporting to Michael is very uneven with a couple of real bozos (in 81 reviews)

1. Featured Review

A great place to work during another very exciting time in Dell's history!

Current Employee - Project Program Management Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Project Program Management Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great career development and career path options. Dynamic, exciting work environment. Solid leadership who communicates frequently and effectively. Great people to work with. Excellent salary and benefits.

Cons

Most managers are great. Some, however are not! Your team will only be as good as it's leadership...

Encourage managers to frequently reach out to their employees and to put emphasis on being a coach and not a task-master...the results will be far greater!

Feb 9, 2015Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thanks for the awesome review. We agree - our people are incredible! We're also thrilled to hear that you have had opportunities presented to you and have been exposed to solid leadership. We share ... More

2. Great Place to Grow

Current Employee - Pricing Consultant in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Pricing Consultant in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tons of opportunities to develop and learn from many smart people

Cons

Constant change with annual re-orgs

Mar 30, 2015Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thanks for the review! Always thrilled to hear of long time employees that have positive experiences.

3. Great team, great management and great place to work

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance, opportunities, you can always find a work you want to learn about

Cons

I cant think of any, great place to work

I cant think of any, keep up the good work

5. Work hard, prove your value

Former Employee - Product Manager in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I found Dell to be a meritocracy where technical skills and a strong work ethic are rewarded for meaningful contributions.

Cons

Not much of an interactive environment, lots of people work from home. Not a nurturing environment; you need to be confident in what you are involved in.

Mar 30, 2015Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for the post. Your feedback is really helpful. A large workforce with many work from home individuals has it's benefits and it's risks. The HR organization is working on programs to help ... More

6. I was a Principal Software Engineer

I worked at Dell

Pros

Pays well. Treats employees well.

Cons

Health Plan is not good.

Get a better health plan

7. Best place to work for benefits.

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great benefits. They listen to the employees.

Cons

It is a corporation, so they can and will move complete divisions out of the city you work in.

Keep policy changes updated to employees.

Mar 30, 2015Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Appreciate the review and post! Will definitely share with our leaders how critical ongoing communications across our teams are to our employees - especially given that our team members are located ... More

Different departments yield different results. If you drive your career in the company it can be very rewarding & fun.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For most departments that I worked...
    - Fortunate to have awesome managers that took care of you.
    - Some teams endorsed innovation and supported you if you pursued new ideas.
    - Elevate you in your career if you prove deserving.

Cons

For other departments...
    - Managers were not very qualified in inspiring leadership and building strengths.
    - Many external factors drove the direction of the department to pursue immediate gains.
    - Teams suffocated & stagnated as leaders were resistant in allowing them to grow & adapt.

A few things to be mindful now that the company is private:
    - Target on the big goals and stay on them without being distracted by noise and the immediate gains that you could achieve. Those short-term wins sacrifice the bigger long-term vision.
    - Take care of your employees. Promote from within and don't punish ingenuity and innovation that is sparked from within. Don't hire big-time consultants from coming and uprooting and changing things for you to make you feel better.

9. Director, Services

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Pay is good. Flexible on working from home. People that I work with are efficient

Cons

Too much conflict about direction, too many bosses and executives without much to do.

Reduce the number of executives and keep the ones that really understand the business rather than the ones that have very little experience in respective area. Many of the executives are disconnected from what is really happening and make conclusions in a vaccum.

Mar 30, 2015Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your review. In particular, your advice to management is really good feedback for our leadership team!

10. Good, challenging work meets not-so-good, challenging worker-manager communication issues.

Former Employee - Senior Communications Specialist in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Communications Specialist in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell

Pros

Smart colleagues, terrific compensation, onsite gym, copious room to network and move if you're interested, dedicated, determined, and ambitious. A great place to learn. A great place to make lifelong friends.

Cons

Lots of reorgs keep managers and workers busy as bees--in my case too busy for clear, ongoing communication. Unfortunately, it's exactly the time cohesion is needed. Everyone needs to be on board with team-building over favortism.

See the "cons" list above. Schedule or accept one-on-one meetings, keep to the schedule, and follow through. Useful to managers and team members alike would be a "course" on perspective/learning how people best learn according to their personality. The best schools do this. Also, the best businesses leaders. Dell is one of the biggest and brightest. Better communication will go a long way to retaining the best and brightest and amping up everyone's successes.

Mar 30, 2015Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Helpful feedback for our Leadership Development program team. A company is only as good as it's team members and it's leaders and we strive to create a environment of productive and supportive ... More

11. Enthusiastic technical support analyst with a strong background in customer service

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Dell Believes in it's employees, and values it's customer's opinion.

Cons

There is really nothing bad I can say about working for Dell. Great place to work.

Make policy changes known in real time, not after the fact.

Mar 30, 2015Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us! We routinely review all feedback and posts and share updates with our leadership team.