Dell

3.3 3,500 reviews

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell

Michael S. Dell

(2,167 ratings)

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors(in 468 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed(in 158 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can become a challenge; frequent reorganizations affect work quality(in 146 reviews)

• The senior management reporting to Michael is very uneven with a couple of real bozos(in 75 reviews)

3,500 Employee Reviews

Huge company, all depends on the group you're in

Systems Senior Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsDell is a very large global company with "team members" in all regions. There are a number of small companies within Dell, some from way back, some from recent acquisitions. Each small company comes with its own very different methods, leadership styles and expectations. The resounding culture of Dell that slowly seeps into all business units is: laid back. This is the advantage of working for a company based out of Austin, TX. Austin is about as laid back as it gets and so are the people who live there. That said, it's all about the group you land in.

-WFH is great, I don't know how I'd go back to a regular office

-Pay and bonuses are at the higher end of industry standard, way above typical "operational IT".

-Time off is adequate and there is never a debate as to when or how long you can take at one time.

-When you do have to visit a Dell campus, dress is casual. Shorts, flip-flops if you want.

-Unless you work in IT, life balance is great. No calls after biz hours, no one bothers you on vacation, great balance.

-If you work in one of the Product Groups you contribute to a profit center, vs being a COST center in IT. Big difference.

-Culture of forgiveness and 2nd chances. For good or for bad, Dell is very forgiving, to a fault in many cases.

-Summer work hours = work ends at 2pm Friday 3 mos out of the year.

Cons-Being such a large company, relationships can be complex. There are a ton of people in a ton of different orgs to deal with. This can be daunting and make getting what you need to get done more difficult if you hit roadblocks.

-Tons of old dead wood around. 10+ year Dell long timers who managed to stick around slow everything down and drive mediocrity through the roof. Lot's of "I'm too busy", "not my job", "I don't know, ask someone else" going on here.

-Processed to death. Dell lives and dies by its processes which are massive and require training. These are changing currently in an attempt to streamline but many of these processes inhibit creativity and innovation, not foster them.

-Working remote means harder to climb the career ladder. It's not impossible just much more difficult since you're just that voice on speaker phone vs guy we see every day.

-Internal IT services are a huge problem at Dell. BYOD consists of running the GOOD app on your smartphone to access email. Tons of services need to be extranetted. 256MB mailboxes are a JOKE in 2014, but sadly our standard. No access to anything but OWA unless you VPN in on a corporate laptop. Verrrry legacy IT model even tho we build solutions and products to support the BYOD movement.

-HR titles for positions are very confusing to a potential hire. Coming in the door you have no idea what level you're being brought in at relative to who your peers will be. Get brought in low and you will have to fight to get to the rung equal with your peers.

-Career paths work ok if you're fairly early in your career. For the 15+ year types, once you reach the director-level IC equivalent, it can be hard to move beyond it. Exec dirs and VPs are almost always hired from outside.

-Re-orgs are frequent and plentiful, on my team at least. 1 per year on average, the pot gets stirred in a pretty major way.

-Upward exposure depends ENTIRELY on which functional group you're in. Ironically, marketing/ planning gets the most exec exposure. Engineering gets almost zero. Guess who makes most of the decisions and actually makes things happen?

-Execs and VPs are businessmen, pure and simple, they follow the money. They are not leaders and provide severely limited guidance or direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to hire and RETAIN top talent, you have to pay us to do so. There is way too much competition in the hi-tech space to be cutting bonuses and delaying merit increases. Pay attention to your engineering groups! Not just the directors, figure out who actually matters and where the good ideas really come from!

Jul 25, 2014

Thank you for your well thought-out, detailed and honest review! We know this took time for you to put all of your thoughts here and it is very much appreciated. We have a process that allows us the ... More

Great company and Great Benefits

Senior Manager Dell Secureworks (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat people, great corporate Executive Structure, Ownership is terrific. Company is on solid footing. Great Corporate bonuses based on performance of the company. Great work/life balance. PC benefits and E-deals are terrific.. Company has some solid partners like Secureworks...

ConsSome of the Systems need to be consolidated to make work easier...

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue what your doing. Continue investing in people leaders... Impressed with Michael Dell. One of the most respected CEO in the business

Jul 25, 2014

Thanks for the awesome review! We think the people and work/life balance are pretty great too! Although our systems can be a challenge, we are confident that our leaders and people are doing what ... More

If you're on the right project -- a bunch of fun and actual work being done at the same time

Software Developer (Current Employee)

ProsVery chill. Work from whenever wherever, as long as you get your sprint work done.
    Latest development techniques, software used.
    Shared work space (no cubes) for our team -- rest of office in cubes though
    On a team doing stuff that Dell has never done before, forming a new, awesome work environment.

ConsBetter hourly would be nice
    Need more talent
    This is just the team I worked with, which is not the run-of-the-mill Dell stuff. Cannot speak for the other 95% of Dell

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are on the right track forming a vision for Dell Software into the future, and actually committing to it. However, you need better talent -- be more careful who you hire.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work life balance, flexible with roles

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Round Rock, TX

ProsBest work life balance among tech companies today
    You can move roles every 18 months
    Meritocracy upto a point
    They pay really well for Texas

ConsConstant fears of layoffs
    Frequent reorgs
    Growth beyond a point is hard.

Great group of people working with, but need to adjust policies to something other than cookie cutter format

Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsExcellent work life balance. Team oriented work place. All personnel working there are very professional and work hard to support everyone on the team.

ConsAll policies established designed around the company's main product, but applied to all areas. Expectation to support leadership anytime day or night if work is necessary. Lack of promotion opportunities for promotion and entrance into the main corporate is not possible as an existing employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more autonomy of your affiliates.

Transforming and lots of opportunities to grow

Global Product Data Management (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFlexible working - work from home
    Work with great people

ConsLimited opportunities to get promotions
    hard to show the visibility to upper management

Advice to Senior Managementneed to provide more promotion opportunities to people who work very hard

Excellent place to work

Help Desk Team Leader (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsGreat Management, Great Salaries, Good Opportunities for Motivated Employees

ConsAdaptability required for all levels (not a con, a word of caution)

Overall great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsGreat place to work, great people, benefits, and pay.

ConsThere is a large disconnect between upper management and the day to day operations that run the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake an interest and learn more about the business you're managing.

Flexible hours and opportunity to do various line of work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Round Rock, TX

ProsCompany is good about internal transfer and given employees chance to try new line of work. Flexible hours makes it easy to joggle work/life responsibilities.

ConsGlobal team makes the work hour 24/7. Get lost easily in the process and politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in employees. Don't treat them like a number.

Great income for sales, but no job security even for high performers

Inside Sales Representative III (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGreat income and fast upward movement possible for sales, at least.

Relationship Sales is challenging and rewarding, and the Nashville culture is pretty great most of the time.

Vendor-sponsored product fairs and lunch 'n' learns provide free food and random trinkets regularly - this can be a con too if you can't say no to Gigi's cupcakes once in a while!!

ConsManagement is hit or miss because they usually promote interested high-performing sales reps to management - and a good sales rep is not always a good manager. Some are really good, and a few are terrible.

Not enough communication about how quotas are set, so they often seem arbitrary and sometimes unfair.

Activity metrics aren't hard to hit, but don't usually have any direct correlation to results and can be a distraction from other activities that actually produce better results. Furthermore, they make the activity metrics a requirement to keep work from home perks, so if working from home a couple of days a week is important to you, the distraction is absolutely required.

In sales, there are constant rumors about massive layoffs coming down the pike, because they do happen and it's often the people who have been around a long time and performed consistently who are the first to go. If you've had one bad quarter and the layoff comes at the end of that quarter, you're likely to be on the chopping block. Especially if you've received some merit increases in salary over the years and sit at the high end of the pay scale for your group/division. Granted, all of this was before the company went private and so it may have changed. Probably not... :)

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to consider long-term consistent performance over the "what have you done for me this quarter" mentality - customers don't like changing reps all the time, so it just doesn't make sense to keep up the revolving door. It costs you more to hire and train a new person than to give someone who's had a bad quarter or two a chance to turn things around.

Jul 14, 2014

Thank you for your thorough review and your honesty. We have a process whereby we share the reviews on Glassdoor with our leadership team that is critical to our future improvements and success ... More

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!