Dell

4,033 Reviews

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell
Michael S. Dell
2,461 Ratings

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors (in 557 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed (in 245 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can become a challenge; frequent reorganizations affect work quality (in 170 reviews)

• The senior management reporting to Michael is very uneven with a couple of real bozos (in 81 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to grow and work with some of the smartest people!

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work opportunities! I love being able to work remote which helps me balance my work life overall. Leadership very supportive of this.

Cons

Scope of work can be larger than someone might be used to in a previous job. You are the one in control to build your career so it’s important to learn to maneuver through the company for exposure.

Overall Good company - Better than most

I have been working at Dell (more than an year)

Pros

above average salary
    excellent benefits
    tons of free training available
    lots of good charity opportunities

Cons

role confusion
    lack of thorough documentation process
    management in-fighting gets old
    re-orgs too frequently for anything to work

Stop playing politics with each other. The rest of us sometimes just laugh at it.

Stop the frequent re-orgs. The amount of money and time wasted on them is ridiculous.

Comp

I have been working at Dell

Pros

No micro managent. Benefits

Cons

Having to much reporting. Benefits change yearly. Busy season is hectic and can take you away from your weekends.

Work more on a solid work/life balance.

Good experience overall

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Great working climate
    supportive staff
    good foot in door position

Cons

not stable job security for contractors

A great place to work if you can find the right team

Current Employee - Social Media Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Social Media Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance and overall flexibility is great, opportunities for vertical and horizontal career shifts are plentiful, a culture that embraces diversity, going private has invigorated the CEO and that enthusiasm has trickled down to team members.

Cons

Your mileage may definitely vary at Dell, depending on which team you join and who your manager is. I know plenty of people with less-than-happy experiences. Navigating this massive corporate structure of people, organizations, and priorities can make getting things done exhausting. The current internal slogan is "welcome to the world's largest start-up", but old habits die hard.

Re-orgs do not cure systemic problems, they just move those problems around. Pay people what they're worth, and invest in making the campuses more pleasant working environments - from the lighting to the food to the decor.

great company to work for

Current Employee - Tech Support in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell

Pros

401k, work life balance, challenging work

Cons

get lost in the shuffel

pay your employees what they are worth

Overall a great company for long term

Current Employee - Program Management Consultant in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Program Management Consultant in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, interesting projects great work life balance, good compensation. People are not competitive - there is hardly any case of backstabbing or bad-mouthing here. Culture is not cut-throat.
    the company encourages changing projects and teams every 18 months to 2 years - provides fresh experiences and also growth & management opportunities. Pays at par or more compared to local Austin market

Cons

Occasional layoffs, frequent reorganizations and management changes can be difficult for people who are looking for stability. Not a great place for innovation and engineering.

Decide on specific industry areas and products to compete and focus and excel at them. Trying to do so many things has gotten Dell to be a jack of all, master of none

Great place to work for certain people

Current Employee - Solutions Architecture Senior Advisor in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Solutions Architecture Senior Advisor in Remote, OR

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dell is all about driving revenues. If you are good at functioning within a somewhat unstructured, and at times, overly bureaucratic environment, you will function well. The pay rates are good. You have to be a performer, a value contributor to maintain your employment. Work/life balance is the best feature of working for Dell. You are your own boss to some extent. Hit your numbers, achieve your objectives, get noticed, and you can be successful.

Cons

Old boys network among management. Too many reorganizations that interfere with the last plans and strategies. Change for changes sake is perceived. I believe it is because upper management protects each other in their roles, even when they do not succeed. At times, I feel as though I have not control over my career. At the higher levels of positions, there is eventually no way to advance as an "individual contributor".

Stop sitting behind the desk and looking at numbers. Get out and participate in the customer gathering effort, and the delivery efforts. Make some investments in areas that Dell should be providing services, even though they may not bring in millions in revenue on day one. Have a longer range view on investments in new capabilities, and services offering to the market.

I would recommend Dell

Former Employee - Three Different IT Jobs in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Three Different IT Jobs in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Dell is a high pace, high stress company but that means that things get done fast which I really enjoyed. And I loved the fact that it's such a large company that there are a lot of career opportunities if someone is interested in trying out different roles. If you like the above then it is a place for you.

Cons

Work life balance is not the best but since I held various roles at Dell it varies somewhat depending on your role and your team. But I guess it is a result of being a high pace environment. Another cons is that there are a lot of reorganizations hence your manager is likely to change frequently which is sometimes bad for your career advancement since you will have to prove yourself again to the new manager.

I understand that reorganization is necessary sometimes but I feel that Dell has too many of those which impacts everyone in the company and sometimes results in going back to the old ways which we failed in the past. I would like to see senior management communicating the reasoning behind these decisions so everyone can understand and support these directions.

Great place to start a career

Current Employee - Senior Analyst Financial Analysis in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst Financial Analysis in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Great people to work with and many opportunities. Ideal place to start a career and see many sides of the business from a finance perspective

Cons

Changes are rapid and happen somewhat frequently. Some roles come with global calendars.