Dell

3,871 Reviews

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell
Michael S. Dell
2,380 Ratings

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors (in 535 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed (in 229 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can become a challenge; frequent reorganizations affect work quality (in 168 reviews)

• The senior management reporting to Michael is very uneven with a couple of real bozos (in 81 reviews)

More Highlights

Hard Work - Occassional Good Pay - Autonomy

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good basic hardware company. You can make a good living but it's all tactical / transactional activities. Great opportunties to leverage core offerings in the Small/Medium Business space and turn into cash.

Cons

You've read may testimonies about CEO's who value their employees as their #1 asset. Not Dell. The bottom line is priority #1. Why did so many people take advantage of the voluntary severance package? It is not a company that places a high emphasis on retaining and rewardng its people.

Put your sales folk on an annual quota and let them focus on growing the business and capturing share of wallet.

Outstanding place to work. It is difficult, but very rewarding.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager I in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager I in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance - Opportunity to work from home
    Benefits- Health benefits as well as on-site physician and gym
    Culture- friendly and fun. Your coworkers and managers are going to be your friends here
    Education- You will learn every day

Cons

This is a demanding position. You will get out of it what you put into it, but expect to be tired at the end of the day just from using your brain all day.

Great place to work with great benefits

Current Employee - Client Tech Support Specialist in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Client Tech Support Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with a broad range of peers and employees.

Cons

Moving up in the company is hard if moving to a different department.

As a SysAdmin, loved working here

Current Employee - UNIX Systems Administrator, Senior Advisor in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - UNIX Systems Administrator, Senior Advisor in Plano, TX

I have been working at Dell as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

You think this should more obvious to all (it wasn't to me at first) but you HAVE TO MEET YOUR DEADLINES. Honestly, that is all that they care about. They don't care about a new sexy way of doing things. Just put your head down and bust through. If you gotta do something manually, then friggin' do it.

Cons

As remote, communication was a huge obstacle. So being available (IM, texting, etc.) helps out a lot.

it director

Current Employee - Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good to learn about enterprise level technology; flexibility of work; global work

Cons

low salaries, lot of busy work; frequent reorgs

stick with some strategy and dont keep on changing it

Great!

Former Employee - Client Technical Support Specialist in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Client Technical Support Specialist in Nashville, TN

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Life / Work balance. Opportunity to grow and Educational Expense Reimbursement.

Cons

Employee metrics measurement is not a very accurate method of judging employee competence.

Oct 27, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your review. We agree, our work/life balance continues to improve and be one of the best parts of the employment value we can offer to our team. We are also thrilled to hear that you ... More

Overall very positive.

Former Employee - Business Analysis Advisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analysis Advisor in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Support from leadership team on the project. The Director was fair and provided the budget and resources needed for success.

Cons

Resistance at first from certain work groups to implement new process. It took time to establish trust and communication across functional group.

Oct 27, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Executive support can be critical to success and motivation on the job. It's great to hear that you had that during your time with Dell on the project you worked on. As a large company, we do agree ... More

K

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Amazing company, great to work at

Cons

Everything is great. Keep working

Move

Lots of wheel spinning but no real traction

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Solid Pay, flexible schedules and good autonomy & communication within the division

Cons

constantly changing priorities prevent projects from getting completed. Too much management and not enough team.

Oct 27, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your honest review. Your feedback will be shared with our leadership team. We find a lot of value in what our current and former employees are sharing on Glassdoor!

A challenging and sometimes fun environment that was a great learning and growing experience.

Current Employee - Stryker AE (Inside/Outside AE) in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Stryker AE (Inside/Outside AE) in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Personal growth, time off when needed, ability to travel, benefits were great, financial compensation was fair but not strong enough to retain top talent for the long haul.

Cons

Inside sales reps are overburdened by being responsible for every aspect of the customer experience. Management touts wanting input for change but most suggestions are only discussed and not executed. Very top-->down organization, although upper management doesn't see it that way. Career advancement, while available required too much work away from the primary position if you plan to make a move out of your primary job.

Dell has done an incredible job of transformation...unfortunately that transformation also lead to a great deal of turn-over from folks that just got burnt on constant change and unfulfilled promises of better compensation. The work became much more stressful while pay stayed the same or went down depending on position. Internal employee moral is Dell's biggest hurdle. Weekly rah rah meetings in the hall, handing out 10 dollar starbucks gift cards and maybe a cash prize of 250.00 for top rep of the month is so cheesy it was embarrassing to watch most of the time. I guess it's cool if your 24 years old, starting your first job...

Oct 27, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your well thought-out and candid review of your experience with Dell so far. Being with a company for 8 years gives you a lot of perspective and your comments help us grow and learn as ... More