Dell

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell

Michael S. Dell

(1,925 ratings)

3,091 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance is amazing - remote/telecommute work is a huge part of the company culture"
    in 350 reviews
  • "That means I can sometimes attend kid's functions or work from home if needed"
    in 134 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hiring of bad managers, work life balance out of whack, treated badly by some teams"
    in 120 reviews
  • "too much change happening at the senior management level"
    in 67 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Dell has been an incredible place to work constantly offering new and challenging experiences.

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people at Dell are incredibly talented and easy to work with. The compensation structure is competitive. They recently eliminated the stacked racking and forced distribution of employees which brought much needed clarity to the performance management process. The company is well into a multi-year transformation from a computer maker to an end-to-end enterprise software, services, and solutions provider so the opportunity to be part of something historic and special is a lot of fun!

ConsIn the past, Dell has been a highly matrixed organization that changes too often reducing the ability to fully concentrate over the long term on meeting goals and objectives. Going private has helped reduce the short-term focus in favor of long-term results, but we still need to improve in this area.

Great place to learn if you can handle the constant change

Product Marketing Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 8 years

ProsVery fast paced with a lot of opportunity to learn and take on different challenges. If you get into a good team with a strong manager you can have fun and get a lot done.

ConsRapid churn, constant reorganizations, revolving door on management. Very little cross departmental communications resulting in duplication of efforts. People leaving and not being replaced leaves huge holes in your ability to get many things done.

Was a good place to build a career

Human Resources Business Partner (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLots of opportunity, big company, multi-national experience. Lots of flexibility in work schedule & location. If you've been here a long time then you have a lot of

ConsVery political, highly matrixed, upper level leaders lack courage, charisma and creativity.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe higher the level of the executive the less likely they will have a difficult conversation or deal directly with a situation. They all seem to be in self-preservation mode.

Nice experience at Dell

Marketing Consultant (Former Employee)
Fairfax, VA

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmart, dedicated, passionate about Dell's technologies people. Good pay. Great end-to-end tech strategies.

ConsPerhaps too many executives in TX - I think they lose a little of the sense of what is going on in the rest of the US.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make execs so dependent on living in Round Rock.

Dell, a fairly good company

Senior Operations Engineering (Former Employee)

I worked at Dell full-time for more than a year

ProsA good company to work for - coworkers seem to get along.
the day to day was enjoyable
if not directly involved with customers dress was casual which a lot of folks (workers) liked

Consa lot of layoffs - and then rehire.
moved a lot of operations overseas

Advice to Senior Managementtry to be a bit more patriotic with 'Made in America' but, I know, business is business and you must be competitive. (Michael, you got rid of all your US factories - did your business folks ever add up ALL the costs of doing business overseas?) Yup, Wall street rules!

Working for Dell

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Dell full-time for more than a year

ProsDell has a great diverse environment. I lived in Oklahoma City and yet when went to work it reminded me of West coast somewhat because of diversity...saw one employee with a pink Mohawk and variety of ethnicities and races. They listen to their people to make things better. Pay is good. Get gifts often such as small speakers for your phone/pc, Thunder tickets, etc. Dell believes in work-life balance. Benefits are great...matches charity contributions.

ConsCons were moreso my fault so none to mention.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent Work/Life balance. Ability to change jobs after 18 months in a role. Good Pay and Benefits, Base Pay and Bonus is above Market in Austin.

ConsToo many re-orgs,constant churn in org structure.Management not well tuned towards Individual career development . Career progression only due to changes to a different role, not much scope for linear progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep each org stable for atleast 2 yrs, constant org churn is not doing good for Employee Morale.

A great place to learn, work, and develop your skills.

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDell worked hard to reward results. Networking is still important, but it is close to a meritocracy as can reasonably be expected.

ConsWith a company as large as Dell, it can be difficult to find ways to truly innovate. Dell works hard to develop you, but often loses their best employees to smaller companies who want to take advantage of Dell's investment.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder on finding ways to promote and reward your best employees. You need to keep more of the talent you develop.

Nice place to work

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than a year

ProsAwesome company to work for.

ConsThere is no cons I find here

Great

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Dell full-time for more than a year

Pros-money is reasonably good
-people and culture is great

Cons-upward mobility is non-existent unless you belong to a certain class

Advice to Senior Managementbe more open

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!

Dell – Why Work for Us?

The focus in Dell for our team members is very much on creating an environment where every individual can be their best and do their best work in service of our customers. Our philosophy toward people is to "build… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dell reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dell CEO Michael S. Dell. All 3,091 reviews posted anonymously by Dell employees.