Dell Reviews

Reset
5.0
Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell
Michael S. Dell

Pros
  • I maintain a very healthy work/life balance by putting boundaries up in my day / week / year that are reserved for personal time (in 557 reviews)

• Some teams are open for work from home (in 245 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is only there "if they like you/" Training is only done just to say "it's done (in 170 reviews)

• Poor senior management at the regional level (in 81 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Corporate culture of always trying to improve

Current Employee - Manager in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dell is aware of its weaknesses and is willing to put money behind ideas to improve. Fellow employees are committed to owning issues and resolving them. Customers come first and every effort is put into training employees to exhibit these qualities and rewarding them when they do.

Cons

While the people are Dell's strength, the processes are its weaknesses. The desire to find a better way leads to constant change and re-organization. This can be difficult for employees to navigate.

Dell Response

Aug 17, 2015 – Candidate and Employee Experience Team

We value your feedback and appreciate you taking the time to review us. We will share your feedback with the leadership team.

2. Great people great place

Current Employee - Desktop Support Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Great work life balance. Sky's the limit and you can make your own hours.

Cons

You can get siloed but sometimes management doesn't coach you in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Move employee morale cocktail hour to Friday afternoon

3. CSE

Current Employee - CSE in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - CSE in Austin, TX

Pros

Freedom to create. Awesome technology portfolio.

Cons

Sometimes lack of direction / training.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing....

5. An Adequate Company With a Good Future

Former Intern - Undergraduate Senior Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Undergraduate Senior Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay Great work life balance Flexible hours Tremendous management Great ability to grow, very open to employees transferring departments Hiring lots of new grads Coworkers are always willing to chat and help others out

Cons

Upward mobility seems limited albeit very possible Lots of cubicles, not nearly enough open spaces Older company culture

Advice to Management

Get people MORE excited about working at Dell! The company culture seems adequate for a corporation but relatively outdated compared to other tech companies. The reason so much talent goes to other (trendy) companies such as Facebook and Google is because they have a fresh and exciting company culture. They achieve that by the environment in which they place their employees: open floor plans, large windows, bigger gyms, free amenities, etc. Some might say that this seems too "Silicon Valley-esque" for the "Live Music Capital of the World" but, given Austin's exponential rate of growth as a tech hub, I believe the best course of action is to adapt preemptively. By investing in their employees, Dell would be investing on itself; that is to say, by becoming more attractive it can become more lucrative.

6. Senior Advisor

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for

Cons

No negative remarks for this company

Advice to Management

7. Great Internship Program!

Former Intern - Undergrad Senior Analyst in Round Rock, TX
    Former Intern - Undergrad Senior Analyst in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It was one of the best summers of my life! Really open and energetic culture. Lots of after work intern events. They don't overwork you at all. You can even work from home, depending on your manager. Get to explore Austin. They have an executive speaker series where top executives, including Michael Dell, come and talk with the interns. They pay for your housing and relocation. I personally loved the projects that they gave although some of the other interns felt their skills weren't properly utilized.

Cons

Was supposed to have an assigned buddy and mentor but never really got one. They didn't have open dialogue with interns about where they preferred to work full-time. I worked in a department that I enjoyed and was in my field of study but was offered a full-time position in another department because that's where they thought I wanted to be. Now I don't have the option to work in my current department unless I want to go through the recruiting process again.

Advice to Management

Great program overall! My one critique would be to have all the interns, even if they're not going to receive a full-time offer, make a preferred department list to eliminate future confusion.

8. Business Systems Sr. Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst

I have been working at Dell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work as a remote employee. I was given all materials and technology needed to create an effective work environment . Management communicates organizational vision and goals effectively, and performance reviews are not just on an individual level, but also given to survey the organization as well. We are able to provide feedback as employees, the info received from the surveys are distributed to the managers and employees and used to make the organization better using employee feedback. Managers on all levels communicate weekly, monthly and quarterly to keep all abreast of Dell happenings and goals and incentives for the organization.

Cons

Only downside f Dell as a remote employee is the lack of physical interaction with others, but that is a remote issue. I do not have any downside experiences.

Advice to Management

I encourage management to push continuing education and internal movement for all employees. Utilize employees within to advance to higher positions before seeking outside sources.

9. Project Program Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best Global Technology company , Best Employer

Cons

None None None None None

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and continue the winning streak

10. Dell Review

Pros

Great learning experience working with great people.

Cons

Was a long drive from my house.

11. Senior Business Analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, UT

I worked at Dell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work culture, learning, growth, Pay, extra- curricular activities

Cons

There are no in dell

Advice to Management

Keep it up..

Dell Response

Aug 17, 2015 – Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thanks for the review! All the best to you!

Showing 693 of 5,195 reviews