Dell Reviews

4,404 Reviews
Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell
Michael S. Dell
2,639 Ratings

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors (in 557 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed (in 245 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can become a challenge; frequent reorganizations affect work quality (in 170 reviews)

• The senior management reporting to Michael is very uneven with a couple of real bozos (in 81 reviews)

1. Featured Review

A great place to work during another very exciting time in Dell's history!

Current Employee - Project Program Management Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Project Program Management Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great career development and career path options. Dynamic, exciting work environment. Solid leadership who communicates frequently and effectively. Great people to work with. Excellent salary and benefits.

Cons

Most managers are great. Some, however are not! Your team will only be as good as it's leadership...

Encourage managers to frequently reach out to their employees and to put emphasis on being a coach and not a task-master...the results will be far greater!

Dell Response

Feb 9, 2015Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thanks for the awesome review. We agree - our people are incredible! We're also thrilled to hear that you have had opportunities presented to you and have been exposed to solid leadership. We share ... More

2. Very Unprofessional

I have been working at Dell

Pros

I really don't have anything good to say about the company.

Cons

For such a large technology company they themselves don't use technology to it's best use. Don't trust it's employees, hiring allot of temp. contractors and micromanage. Pay under market.

Put some trust in your employees and pay them fair market share.

Dell hell

Former Employee - Executive Director, Technology in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Director, Technology in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great location - Austin is a great place to work
    Compensation

Cons

Culture - no trust, lots of layoffs, little info sharing
    Leadership - poor from the very top down
    Security - layoffs every month

5. A very judgemental company

I worked at Dell

Pros

Good work environment, great pay and very informative

Cons

There's a couple ways a person can learn. Some people can learn by sight and hands on. I started working for the company last Monday and was very excited about the job. The first week we learned Dells purpose as a company and was also taught about the basic stuff that customers will buy or need information on with the software we provided. We had a snow storm last Wednesday and we were told to come back Thursday at 1pm, class would end at its original time. My class had a review for the test on Thursday and I thought we were told that we would take the test with what we learned for that week and this week. I was not paying attention, obviously but that was my fault. I told my trainer that I was going to leave my notes and things in class. The next day I arrived, she said that she was letting us review for the test for 15 minutes. I was pretty much like "oh no, I left my notes." So I did my test based off what I could remember what we learned and also what I just studied for that 15 minutes. Unfortunately, I failed that test and I couldn't be at no one but myself. I told the trainer and I asked her if I could retake the test and she said we could but she was going pick a date for us to do that. So this week came we reviewed for the test, she did inform us on Monday that our last day with her will be on Thursday, so we had to move up the test that day. So again, we reviewed and I was fully prepared to take the test. We took the test and I made a perfect score. That day I was told after lunch, that I had a meeting along with another person at 3pm. Was told that they needed more information from us. We walked together down to building B and was told quickly that our contract ended due to test and assessments. I was shocked and also hurt about this news. I was not warned and it was done so quickly. My point of contact at Dell said that the managers decided due to test. I tried to explain my case and the situation but of course that did not matter. I got the job through the temp agency and was told to contact them and let them know I was released. When I called my contractor, they were as well shocked and was new news to them as well. They said that they were going to contact them to get the bottom of the issue. I received a call later today and was told that due to me failing my test last week, they decided to release me. Dell management never mentioned about my test that I passed and made a perfect score. They also informed them my body language and how I presented myself to managers showed I was "checked out." I asked like what did that mean and my contractor said whenever I was asked questions, I did not always have the answer to them. I was blown away by this news and felt dissed. It was like a smack in my face. Pretty much, I was not smart enough for the job. I was hurt. I was not told that I was being examined or judged by my body language and how I presented myself to them. It was unprofessional and I'm totally disgusted by management

My advice to management is to inform people that you guys are judging new hires by what you guys think you see.

A stagnant leadership culture unaware of whats happening in the field.

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Long time Dell employees that have been there 15+ years is common. Practically unheard of in the modern high tech industry.

Cons

Felt like rearranging the deck chairs in the titanic. That long tern stability allows for a very non-progessive thinking.

Hey managers, there are field people on your payroll today that have had been on an 18 month vacation building backyard projects, skin vacations and European visits while on the clock "working remote" All that lack of oversight has allowed this once awesome company that pushed the envelope to now be comfortably in an envelope.

what a complete joke of a company

Former Employee - Marketing Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at Dell full-time (more than a year)

Pros

well they do have good benefits package and work life balance but that is it

Cons

bad management no backbone
    very poor quality of marketing employees considering the brand
    lots of politics and back stabbing
    bullying if rife considering Michael Dell makes it part of their policies they wont tolerate bullying

Michael Dell look at your Management team and grow a spine and get rid of them

Lived up to its depressing atmosphere reputation

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Its a job, pays fairly well.

Cons

Very negative place to work, atmosphere depressing to say the least. No sense of what they could become, very poor image of who they are and the products they produce.

focus, focus, focus. think of what you can become and set out to achieve that.

9. Trying to get the most profit, but overlooking the employees.

Former Employee - Network in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Network in Rockville, MD

I worked at Dell full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The employees are sharing their knowledge.

Cons

Horrible work and life balance.

Investing in employee is the best investment. One bad hire cost millions dollars.

One of the Worst Companies operating in India.(Dell Gurgaon)

Former Employee - CTSA in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Former Employee - CTSA in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I worked at Dell full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1. Cafeteria facilities
    2. Gym
    3. Cab
    Nothing else.......(Fortunately i got a good offer outside)

Cons

Dell Gurgaon is like a Swiss Bank of Cons.
    1. People are treated here like bulls and horses which are used to drive any load.
    2. Senior Management can fire you anytime giving there explanation for stacks.
    3. Appraisal here is just a joke.
    4. TOOO much of unwanted work pressure when you are doing your actual work, they say to complete the training assignments while you are on call(Are you kidding ME.....)
    5. Area Managers treat the L1 employees like slaves and always threaten that your job would be at stake even for minor mistakes.
    6. You have to act according to mood of the managers which reallly sucks.
    7. You wont even beleive that people who maintian 100% score in their stacks are also screwed like hell even for minor to minor of stacks.
    ...Still counting on it

Dear Area Managers/ Managers,
    Please try to treat the emplyees under you as human beings and not as cows and bulls. Dont think that any employee who joins DELL is his first and LAST COMPANY. Employees working under you are more skillful than you.
    An advice to HR is that please make the communication more clearer to emplyees.
    Please Change the complete operating structure of your organization and try to employee people at higher levels who are professional and open minded.

Horrible management in the Memphis market as of today.

Current Employee - Tenet Technical Analysis Analyst in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Tenet Technical Analysis Analyst in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Gained additional skills from the former I.T. manager. Tenet health leadership team & employees are great to work for.

Cons

Micro-managers, low hourly compensation, on call 7 days every 6 weeks with no pay, too many managers, no room for growth, job description doesn't match what you'll end up doing and horrible leadership.

Remove at least 3 managers, get some leadership training, stop hoarding knowledge, let go of the control and empower us, stop wasting time / money on unprofessional and unproductive meetings and emails, pay mileage when we go to the hospital while on call, increase hourly rate, provide car insurance for hospital onsite visits, promote from within & listen to your employees.