Dell

3,655 Reviews

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell
Michael S. Dell
2,259 Ratings

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors (in 468 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed (in 158 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can become a challenge; frequent reorganizations affect work quality (in 146 reviews)

• The senior management reporting to Michael is very uneven with a couple of real bozos (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

Very Good.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Providence, RI

I have been working at Dell for more than 3 years

Pros

Well managed company. Great Employees. Everyone is very knowledgeable. Other Engineers are very willing to help out others. Also, there is a great work life balance. It's a great place to work if you have young children.

Cons

Very Complex environment. A very long learning curve before you become productive.

Salaries aren't keeping up with the Market. At least not in the North East.

Surprisingly comfortable despite changes

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity for growth, open communication, fast work pace, good recognition policies, awesome culture, competitive pay and benefits, ethical, values driven, consistent, loyal to the brand/image, great work/life balance, challenging and rewarding for anyone with a lot of stamina and/or people who don't mind rolling up their sleeves and getting to work.

Cons

Stressful, intense work environment, face pace, training issues, slow to change, can be negatively competitive, very segmented, arcane business divisions make it difficult to connect, slow and complex hire processes leave areas vulnerable if and when key knowledge holders leave the area or company.

It's been an intense year for Dell, and everyone still working there has felt it. However, as massive company changes go Dell actually handled the change well and seems to be working hard to make existing employees more confident and to make the company more attractive to talented newcomers.

Dell Response

Aug 25, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your review. It is honest and thorough and that is exactly what our readers need to hear. We share reviews and sentiment on Glassdoor with our leadership team directly on a regular ... More

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Interface Developer IV  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Interface Developer IV in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits
    Career progression
    Work life balance
    Salary
    work culture

Cons

Big organisation issues like finding apporpriate information for career developemnt

No complains

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Employer

Former Employee - Middle Management
    Former Employee - Middle Management

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Offers ongoing employee online training within your career path
    Listens and takes action on employee survey concerns

Cons

Annual increase percentage can be small, depending on division

Get rid of over restrictive bell curve-- truly base increases on employee performance.

Excellent company to develop knowledge and experience in business transformation

Former Employee - Senior Consultant (Operations)  in  Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant (Operations) in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Desire to succeed as a company is strong with multiple avenues for learning. Most of the executive management team is well experienced in the industry while at Dell and with external companies. The people you were with on a day to day basis are intelligent and enjoyable to work with. Compensation is on par with a large company and the support provided by the company infrastructure on average is good.

Cons

Dell is continuing to transform itself into a software/solutions company. The reputation in the local area is, Dell is a meat grinder with long hours and over-burdening workloads. Much of this is reputation is the result of inefficiencies in the processes and the acceptance for average tools. It's easy to be part of the processes which perpetuate this image. Unlike many of my peers, I believe my time and efforts resulted in valuable results in a manageable schedule (working smarter, not harder).

the management levels are highly diversified with many of your executive leaders coming from outside Dell while nearly all of your first line managers are long-time Dell employees. At a management level you should be willing to push the envelope and not conform to all strategies. For the betterment of the company, more managers at Dell should be willing to "buck" the current models and demand the right change for the right reasons. Dell has excellent tools to help managers manage their business and their teams.

Lots of opportunity to learn and grow, just don't plan on getting promoted.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is literally a job for everyone at Dell. Every job imaginable is done somewhere within the company.

Cons

Dell cannot find a way to allow employees to move from position to position within the company. It's far easier to lay them off or too convenient to allow them to leave and hire off the street (often previous Dell employees) than it is to allow them to move from one department to another.

Fix the waterfall and require movement from entry level positions to more senior ones to retain talent. Your failure is in allowing HSB to hold onto talent and keeping employees from moving around.

Outstanding

Former Employee - Alliances  in  Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Alliances in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great teams, corporate vision and strategy. There is uncertainty at times and you have to deal with ambiguous direction at times, however this will give you the opportunity to separate yourself from everyone else.

Cons

I'm a little "Old School" and do not like to work from home, however, this is the direction of the company is to have their employees remote. I believe stronger collaboration occurs in the office.

Stay focused on the direction

Great place to work at overall, even for a contractor

Current Employee - Quality Engineer  in  Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Dell as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good compensation
    Good resources to get your job done
    People are great at Aliso Viejo office
    Nice facilities, free coffee!
    Approachable and responsive management
    Exciting projects to work on
    Plenty of room to grow

Cons

Nothing bad really except that contractors don't get to enjoy the same benefits of working from home as FTEs

None.

Dell Response

Aug 12, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your review. We are thrilled to hear that our team members in Aliso Viejo are happy (and not to mention get free coffee!) Your comments are appreciated and we will share with our ... More

God

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Good company to work for even tho I was contracted out.

Cons

There was not the best communication.

Great company

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

lots of mobility, good vision for the future, good communications, talented people, many locations, good reputation in the industry, numerous industry awards.

Cons

can be difficult to coordinate with multiple organizations

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!