Dell

3,614 Reviews

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell
Michael S. Dell
2,231 Ratings

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors (in 468 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed (in 158 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can become a challenge; frequent reorganizations affect work quality (in 146 reviews)

• The senior management reporting to Michael is very uneven with a couple of real bozos (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Former Employee - Global Alliance Manager  in  Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Global Alliance Manager in Round Rock, TX

Pros

Great company with a strategic direction. Very well compensated with great perks located on campus, such as the fitness center.

Cons

The only con I can think of at this time, was there is not enough office space and some employees were forced to work from home.

None at this time

Very good company to work for.

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

The best reason to work at Dell is the work / life balance. Great leadership and awesome team work environment.

Cons

Global hours meaning sometimes there are late night calls. Minimal amount of diversity in leadership in particular cultures.

Continue strong leadership

If you're on the right project -- a bunch of fun and actual work being done at the same time

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

Pros

Very chill. Work from whenever wherever, as long as you get your sprint work done.
    Latest development techniques, software used.
    Shared work space (no cubes) for our team -- rest of office in cubes though
    On a team doing stuff that Dell has never done before, forming a new, awesome work environment.

Cons

Better hourly would be nice
    Need more talent
    This is just the team I worked with, which is not the run-of-the-mill Dell stuff. Cannot speak for the other 95% of Dell

You are on the right track forming a vision for Dell Software into the future, and actually committing to it. However, you need better talent -- be more careful who you hire.

Dell Response

Jul 29, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thanks so much for taking the time to review your experience with Dell. How cool that you get to work on projects that Dell has never done before. Sounds fun and hopefully rewarding! We share ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great group of people working with, but need to adjust policies to something other than cookie cutter format

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

Excellent work life balance. Team oriented work place. All personnel working there are very professional and work hard to support everyone on the team.

Cons

All policies established designed around the company's main product, but applied to all areas. Expectation to support leadership anytime day or night if work is necessary. Lack of promotion opportunities for promotion and entrance into the main corporate is not possible as an existing employee.

Allow more autonomy of your affiliates.

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Help Desk Team Leader  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Help Desk Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Great Management, Great Salaries, Good Opportunities for Motivated Employees

Cons

Adaptability required for all levels (not a con, a word of caution)

Great pay & flexibility. Cost cutting environment.

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Round Rock, TX

Pros

Competitive pay, flexible work hours. Culture improving since privatization.

Cons

Culture comes from middle management down, so it's hit or miss depending on what segment you work in. Above that it seems like VPs either don't communicate or don't agree with each other (a result of a cost-cutting environment.)

Overall great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

Pros

Great place to work, great people, benefits, and pay.

Cons

There is a large disconnect between upper management and the day to day operations that run the business.

Take an interest and learn more about the business you're managing.

The Customer is #1 at Dell

Current Employee - Intelligence Engineer  in  Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Intelligence Engineer in Edina, MN

Pros

Dell promotes the best culture I've ever seen in a company. Our customers are at the absolute center of what we do and how we do it. The people I work with are amazing at all levels, above and below.

Cons

We're transitioning into a private company. There are a lot of hiccups with this in regards to compensation, year-end-reviews, etc.

Great company to work for!

Pros

I love that every day at work I am learning and being challenged. My co-worker's are great and the atmosphere is upbeat. The expectations are high, but Dell provides all the tools necessary for you to excel at your job.

Cons

The job is demanding, many hours are put in and there is always more to do. With that said, it is part of the reason I love my job.

Good Execution, Pretty Good Culture Overall, Poor Strategy, Mixed Senior Management

Current Employee - Program Manager Senior Consultant  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager Senior Consultant in Austin, TX

Pros

Dell has a pretty good culture and is generally focused on serving the customer. Co-workers are usually pretty strong and teamwork is encouraged. Compensation and benefits are good.

Cons

Since going private we had our stock plans removed so there is limited upside for the rank and file. The senior management reporting to Michael is very uneven with a couple of real bozos.
    The company doesn't seem to have a solid strategy going forward or the willingness to invest in its future. Michael talks about investing more in sales, R&D, etc but all we see is cuts.

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!