Dell

3,967 Reviews

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell
Michael S. Dell
2,432 Ratings

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors (in 557 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed (in 245 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can become a challenge; frequent reorganizations affect work quality (in 170 reviews)

• The senior management reporting to Michael is very uneven with a couple of real bozos (in 81 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Co-Workers, Lots of Talent, Can Be Stressful

Former Employee - Project Program Management Consultant in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Project Program Management Consultant in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Dell has plenty of opportunity. There's a running joke that to stay in any single role more than two years is certain career death there - but the upside of that is you really have mobility an don't get locked into a single position.
    I was able to work as a project and program manager in product development both on hardware and on software - and in another role on a team that deployed enterprise equipment directly into the customer site - and on a team that was implementing a new master data management system for the customer data. So I really had the opportunity to learn many technologies.
    My co-workers in all my roles were smart, hard-working, and I really enjoyed working with them.
    The pay was awesome - great base rate and usually a pretty good yearly bonus.
    Great flexibility on work from home, most management is very understanding about home and personal life.

Cons

It was difficult to feel like you were accomplishing at times - since Dell hires highly motivated individuals who like to feel a sense of accomplishment and success, this can be difficult.
    If you don't set your boundaries you can find yourself owning too many assignments - I left voluntarily and discovered that after I left, I was replaced by 3 people. So you have to know when to say "no" (obviously I didn't!)
    This is not true of all areas - but one area I worked in had competing projects going on - this seemed like a waste of resources to me.
    Like many tech companies, this one is global so long hours and weekends dealing with the global sites - but it is cool to work with people all over the world.

Keep up the great pay and benefits! Keep giving people opportunity to move around and grow!

Stop wasting money and people on competing resources.

Quality Control Sr. Associate

I worked at Dell

Pros

Developing new quality standards for better customer satisfaction and safety that affects company profitability.

Cons

Manufacture no longer in Texas

N/A

DSFG is a great company to work for!

Current Employee - Systems Administrator Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Dell full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Autonomy
    -Competitive pay and benefits
    -lots of paid holidays throughout the year
    -work life balance
    -ability to develop as much as you want, the sky is the limit.

Cons

- our clients IT team is very lazy. Government employees generally do not work with a fire under their butt.

- our team is very old fashioned and are too settled in their ways to embrace better and newer ways of doing things.

- We need an actual budget to purchase IT equipment that will help us do our jobs.

In a field that is as fast paced as IT you need to hire people who can manage and embrace change and allow it to improve current processes (the basis of CI). Change is inevitable, change happens regardless of if you want it to stop or not. If you have a bunch of old foggies around that like to do things "the way we've always done it" or that will never let go of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mindset, we will never have progress. Change will come (because you cant stop change) and it will always end up hurting us because we're resistant to it.

Innovation and progress requires employees that can work with change and use it to catalyze positive change.

Dell Response

Nov 4, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your thorough review! Your feedback is very important to our team and we plan on using it to help drive future improvements!

New fervor and growth is energizing if you are in the right groups Michael is focused on.

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Strategist in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Strategist in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The environment has shifted in most areas to have more of a work life balance and to allow folks to get there jobs done but take time off as needed

Cons

The typical Corporate lethargy still exists and overcoming some of the bueracratic process slows down a persons ability to quickly drive to completion.

Consider additional perks like Sabbaticals (even unpaid ones) to allow long term high performers the chance to trully take a break after 7 or 14 or 21 years and this will re-energize them for the next project.

Dell Response

Nov 4, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for the review - you have some good points and great idea for the management team to consider. We will be sharing reviews with our leaders on an on-going basis. Your input matters and makes ... More

Great place to work with great benefits

Current Employee - Client Tech Support Specialist in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Client Tech Support Specialist in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with a broad range of peers and employees.

Cons

Moving up in the company is hard if moving to a different department.

Systems Integration Manager II

Current Employee - Systems Integration Manager II in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Integration Manager II in Plano, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Supporting Fortune 500 Global Customers, working from home allowed, open door policy, competitive salary

Cons

Lot of offshore moving to India is impacting opportunities in Americas

Keep an eye on the core of the business and customer satisfaction. Money is important but is not everything, there are other ways to make a difference and to create a winning culture

Need to be on the right team

Former Employee - Marketing Operations Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing Operations Analyst in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Dell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, Lots of exposure

Cons

Slow communication, too much bureaucracy and red tape

Once a great, fun place to work....left with no confidence in a corporate vision/plan

Former Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Worked with great people. Somewhat burned out towards the end but very capable and fun to work with
    Time off (grandfathered in) was exceptional. I had six weeks/year.
    Benefits were solid across the board and very reasonably priced

Cons

Lack of strategy on a corp level. Constant shifts in direction of the company
    New acquisitions not integrated well
    Jack of all trades, nothing done extremely well

Pick a strategy and run with it. Remember your core and sell that. You don't make ipods/phones/tablets well. Focus on the enterprise. Do it well. Be more forward thinking and get back to taking care of your people.

Too much change leads to non customer focus

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative II in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative II in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Dell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ability to work from home on certain days. Leader in IT upgrades and technology. Lots of Training

Cons

"It is like drinking from a fire hose" Too much for one person. Unable to move around the company unless you know someone. They say deal with "Ambiguity" Exactly what it is every year the company makes a change and it is unsettling for Customers. Quota's are surreal, if you blow it out of the water and get a big check. be prepared to save it to possibly paying back with the compensation plan you are under.

When times are good nothing matters. mangers really don't care what you do. When times get tough and Quotas are high, they will ride you for every penny to be be made. Reports and reports on top of reports.

My experience was positive while the company was doing well, and downhill once it was not.

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer II in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Work-Life Balance was excellent. There wasn't an expectation to take work home and managers were very understanding of personal commitments.
    - Co-Workers was great to work with.

Cons

- Lack of growth opportunities
    - Red Tape in getting the most basic things done
    - Fear of layoffs led to low motivation and low morale

- Improve employee morale by allowing them to move among groups and learn newer skill sets
    - Improve processes by removing multiple levels of processing and approvals for requests