Dell

3,838 Reviews

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell
Michael S. Dell
2,360 Ratings

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors (in 530 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed (in 193 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can become a challenge; frequent reorganizations affect work quality (in 163 reviews)

• The senior management reporting to Michael is very uneven with a couple of real bozos (in 82 reviews)

More Highlights

You take the good with the bad

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

All my pros will be sales related because that is my only experience at Dell.

Benefits. Benefits. Benefits.
    Reimbursement for education (college courses that further your career)
    Matching 401k
    Free financial planning
    Health Insurance for all family members, including those that live with you for 6 months or "co-habitat" and/or same sex unions, paid maternity leave and adoption assistance
    Internal job training for all global locations
    Vacation, Personal time off and Holidays, new hires start day one with two weeks vacation, 80 hours of personal time and 10 paid holidays (Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and the day after, five days off at Christmas and New Years day.) At 5 and ten years, employees receive and additional one week of vacation.
    Flexible scheduling options; work from home full or part time, condensed schedules (4 x 10 hr days) and job share programs
    Discount program for major retailers, goods and services; hotels, car purchases, clothing stores, vacations..etc..
    If you work at one of the call centers (Round Rock, Nashville or Oklahoma City) they all have gyms and Dell provides health coaches and resources to meet your health goals

Compensation package is market average; there are multiple levels of inside and outside sales teams and operations support teams. Inside Sales the range is $60-100k (based on experience) and Outside Sales has a much bigger range from $110k - $215k (based on experience.)

Career Growth
    There is amply opportunity to mold your career goals into a career at Dell, in the states and abroad. Dell's interest in so many technology fields allows you to choose from basic sales, to cyber security, to global project management.

Cons

My only cons will be sales related because that is my only experience with Dell

Sales teams experience a lot of change, which directly affects their compensation, not a big swing, but any change that affects compensation is seen as a "con."

It can take a long time to get where you want to go, it's true that there are TONS of career opportunities at Dell and if you are patient, prepared and in the right place at the right time, you can make the leap into a new role at Dell successfully.

It can also take along time to implement some of the benefits that affect flexible work schedule, for example Dell does offer condensed scheduling but it takes along time to get that approved, and they do offer work from home but it depends on the role your in (if its offered, full time or part time.)

It can be difficult to navigate the terrain at Dell, for new employees you may see other team members in your same role but learn they make more money than you, or the were offered a work from home schedule that can be frustrating and leave you feeling slighted. But often times, there is a reason, maybe they had more experience and came in a higher pay grade, or maybe their manager was able to approve a part time work from home for personal reasons.

Continue to be open and honest with your employees about what can be done at Dell instead of what can't, realize that we are resourceful and we know whats out there so help us reach our goals.

Oct 6, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for all of the time and thought you put into your review. Our team monitors reviews on Glassdoor on an on-going basis and provides updates to our leadership team regularly. Your comments ... More

Great project and people.

I worked at Dell as an intern

Pros

The project you will be working on is both useful and challenging. You will always have something to do, but not too much that will overwhelm you. The organized intern events are also lots of fun.

Cons

The communication from executives is somewhat lacking.

Oct 6, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for the review. It sounds like you had a great project that was rewarding for you and your career while an intern at Dell. We will ensure that your feedback about communications is shared ... More

Good experience

Current Employee - Intern in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people, good work/life balance, flexibility to work from home, international exposure

Cons

work from home can also be a cons

Oct 6, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

You make a good point! Working from home can be a huge benefit for some but also a detriment to others. At Dell, we have an Employee Resource Group (Conexus) dedicated to those team members that work ... More

Worked with a team of highly skilled engineers with a direct connection with our customer

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Highly experienced team
    Work was challenging and always changing, never routine
    Dell Data Center Solutions has a different culture than the rest of Dell, it's more like being in a startup,
    you have to find where you can add value and get right on it, no one tells you what you need to do, you
    find what needs to be done and do it.

Cons

Understaffed, high workload, given the value of the customer contracts adding a few more people would have ensured all the work got done in a timely manner and that the customer was happy with response time.

Fix the Review and Ranking system, it's really hurting your best departments, the whole company can not be run like a manufacturing assembly line operation.

Sep 30, 2014Candidate & Employee Experience Team

Thanks for your constructive feedback! We value your input and will proactively share this feedback to our leadership team.

It's a good job...

I have been working at Dell full-time

Pros

The people I work with make the job.....

Culture and leadership: Depending on your role can make a difference. For example: If you are in sales you need people that you can relate to and want to work hard for. Upper Mgmt that "text book" or "straight out of business school" are challenging to work for. We need less theory and more doing.

Cons

One thing: Equity!!!

LTI is exclusive to Directors and above. Bonuses: Many are not eligible at all.

End result is the vast majority of the company has no incentives so when the company speaks about profits and how important they are and then reminds us that these profits pay LTI and bonuses...it falls on deaf ears.

Promote people that are easy to relate to and people will work harder. The more "operational" "business/MBA" personalities you reward the less the masses can relate and thus brings morale down.

For example: When you have a sales VP that is more 'sales ops' than 'sales manager' you might be successful but I can assure you the sales teams will be less responsive.

Dell Internship

Former Employee - Software Development Senior Analyst
    Former Employee - Software Development Senior Analyst

I worked at Dell as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

get to work with really smart and passionate people

Cons

Interns don't get newer nicer laptops that full time employees get

You're doing a good job

Oct 6, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Sounds like you had a great experience as an intern at Dell! We are thrilled to hear. We will share your feedback with our teams that manage the internship program.

no complaints

I have been working at Dell

Pros

had a great manager though dell struggled after going private

Cons

didnt like all the red tape

Dell Demand Planner

Former Employee - Demand Planner in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Demand Planner in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work from home opportunities, and great work/life balance

Cons

Career advancement can be challenging once you get to specific levels

good while it lasted- Laid off

Former Employee - Client Field Systems Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Client Field Systems Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Dell full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Perks, The dell name and badge

Cons

weekly paperwork. people saying "ITS A DELL DUDE"

Its So-so

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My manager is not bad. Week off at Christmas is refreshing.

Cons

The health insurance blows. I spent more than 8600 and I still did not meet the 1300 deductible. There are no raises. What you have when you come in is what you get. Train is better than nothing but not valuable to growing my skills.

Get a clue. The Punjabi villiage in Round Rock is over populated. Your hyper focus on minimizing costs means your pay is going to stagnate and benefits will shrink. That means good people leave. Get rid of the dead wood Perot people and start letting the insiders who perform have a chance. Having eight or more people selling the customer is couter productive. You need to sell the ITO business; the lowest cost model does not yield profits if the customers leave. Hiring beginners just to supress wages does not help your bottom line; it make you look feable compared to the other providers.