Dell Reviews

Updated March 31, 2015
4415 reviews filtered by

1. My high performance was recognized as well as my capabilities as a trainer in international export documentation.

Former Employee - International Export Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - International Export Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company has just taken action to regain its private company status.
    It is aggressively committed to expand its technical support to enable its IT team to concentrate on more complex issues.

Cons

Like all computer technology companies it goes through cycles of laying off people. This is a business reality, not a personal matter.

Proactively and substantively encourage the development of your team members. It speaks well for the company, management and team members make the company stronger by being involvement in their development.

Dell Response

Mar 30, 2015Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Wow - thanks for the thorough review! Sounds like you have many years with Dell to share your expertise with others and we really appreciate you taking the time to do so! On a routine basis, we share ... More

2. Great career choice.

I have been working at Dell

Pros

The people are great, the work-life balance is awesome, and the company has been a winner for many years and is well positioned for the future

Cons

the industry is constantly changing and there is a need to always be on edge and ready to move into the latest trend area, there is no chance to rest on laurels

continue to build a great world-class team - the talent is awesome - continue to retain and develop. Continue to leverage recent acquisitions in order to develop into an end to end solution provider.

3. Stay away from this place; bad experience for me

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell

Pros

There are probably many positive things about working at Dell, many people want to hang on to their jobs there. And outside of outside of Austin, Dell is perceived to be good for one's resume. Sadly I did not experience much of the goodness. Remote working and flexible schedules were something I enjoyed. The onsite cafeteria with good food choices was convenient. There is a gym onsite. Dell participates in and promotes community volunteering.

Cons

One of the reasons remote and flex schedules work at Dell is so workers can stay connected through the night after spending lots of standard work hours volunteering, working out, volleying for positions, and building fiefdoms. Teams are set up such that global calls are necessary, and someone is always losing sleep. Priorities change on a dime.
    The compensation was very poor. There are too many layers of leaders. Some of the leaders might be good workers, but are simply unqualified to lead people. Layoffs are based on who is liked, not who can do the job...the 'wink and a smile' method is firmly in place. The work spaces for remote workers are not maintained.
    After I was laid off, less than six months after I moved from another part of the state to take the job, I asked one recruiter "don't you want to know what happened at Dell?" She said "No, everyone is Austin knows about Dell..."
    If I had known, I would have skipped this 'opportunity'.

I cannot think of anything useful to offer. Priorities need to be re-evaluated. Certainly profit is the whole reason for having a business, I'm not talking about that. Integrity, commitment to excellence, and valuing people are missing.

5. Dell "leans in"

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Amazing work life balance, great pay 100k+ , entrepreneurial spirit, great flexibility

Cons

Sometimes high stress and constant reorgs

Dell Response

Mar 9, 2015Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your review! On a regular basis, our team reads, reviews, responds to and shares the feedback with our leadership team. Your comments are hugely helpful to us understanding how our ... More

6. Great team to work

I worked at Dell

Pros

Supportive team. challenging projects. Good culture. Encourages growth.

Cons

The late hours work to manage with US time made work life balance difficult.

7. It All Depends on the Account

Former Employee - IT Security
    Former Employee - IT Security

I worked at Dell

Pros

Benefits are good. If you are willing to travel there are career opportunities. If the account you are assigned to is pleased with their service, it will be communicated and passed on.

Cons

Stagnating salaries, did not receive a raise for more than 5 years due to 'budget' constraints. If Account is unhappy with Dell Services, employees will be blamed, but leadership does not change nor change their processes so employees end up being stuck in high-stress position without support.

Training is lacking and time needs to be allocated for employees to get trained. Listen to employees suggestions; especially when dealing with customers. Support employees when they need your backing instead of letting them hang for weeks with no direction.

8. A great place to work! And a great time to be working here!

Current Employee - Project Program Manager in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Project Program Manager in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Dell really cares about their employees with a strong focus on work/life balance as well as career development. This is addition to the multitude of free courses and training opportunities makes working for Dell a no brainer.

Cons

Change can happen slowly. Like walking through mud. But then I guess that is probably true in most large companies.

9. Perspective

Former Employee - Sales Support Director in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Support Director in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell

Pros

Salary, brilliant co-workers, fast paced and on-going learning

Cons

Consumer business failure, offshore strategy, lack of robust products, broken reporting

Retaining key talent

10. Organization in transformation

I worked at Dell

Pros

People - Technology - Collaborative - Growing org

Cons

Process - Speed to act - missing market opportunities - fierce competitors

Integrate Faster

11. Good hands on Cloud, Embedded, Telecom domain in c,c++ ,c#,JAVA

Current Contractor - Cloud, Embedded, Telecom in Dallas, TX
    Current Contractor - Cloud, Embedded, Telecom in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dell as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

New technology, Passionate people , Good work culture

Cons

Too many products, No future roadmaps.

Need market research