Dell Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
4467 reviews filtered by

1. Senior Alliance Manager

I have been working at Dell full-time

Pros

- Established company with a long history
    - Opportunity to work remote
    - Bright co-workers

Cons

- Extremely bureaucratic
    - Average benefits
    - Top-down management

Advice to Management

- Trust your employees more to make the right decisions

2. Secure job, low pay, bad management

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Flexible hours. PBA and Vacation days. Not being micromanaged. Ability to work from home as needed.

Cons

Little room to advance. Not being appreciated.

Being told to not take ownership of incidents so that other teams / managers look bad.

Very low pay.
    Level 3 support makes less than level 2 in some roles.

Advice to Management

Promote hard workers - don't promote and cover for teams that don't do their work. Offer fair salaries.

3. Software Specialist - Sales

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people on my teams through the years were the best thing about working at Dell. You get a lot of vacation time, if you can actually find the time to take it and they have always been pretty good about work life balance.

Cons

When I first started at Dell about 15yrs ago, it was a great place to work. The company cared about its employees and they showed it in many ways (not just money), but as the company grew and more and more executives came between the employees and Michael Dell, things deteriorated. Plus they out sourced one of the most crucial jobs - order processing - to India, so getting things processed in a timely manner so that you can hit your number and actually get paid, became a second full time job.

Many good managers and reps have left over the last few years and the people that are replacing them are not up to the task.

Advice to Management

Remember who built this company and reward your employees. Show them that they actually mean something to the company are not just a number. And work on offering more competitive salaries. The day I left Dell my SALARY was bumped up over $10K and that is guaranteed money.

5. IT Project Manager

I worked at Dell full-time

Pros

The only real pro was being able to work remotely, which was appreciated since almost all dev and test teams are located outside the US and you have to work ungodly hours to try and meet with them.

Cons

-Raises/promotions are based on tenure, not merit.
    -Promotions are based on who you know, not what you know or how capable you are.
    -An insane amount of red tape for even the smallest tasks.
    -Lack of training and realistic expectations. There was actually a class my colleagues and I were scheduled to take dealing with tight schedules, and it got cancelled because of "unrealistic time constraints". Can't make that up.
    -Status meetings just for the sake of status meetings, which were redundant and took away from actual work time.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your bloated upper-middle management and remove roadblocks for workers to get things done. Every activity required a form to be filled out. Getting resources staffed to your projects was a nightmare. Between status-ing projects to management, preparing for those meetings, and other compliance related activities, I easily lost 8-10 hours of productivity per week. Does that sound like an efficient way to manage an organization?

Good place to work, but workforce generally unhappy

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dell is generally a decent place to work. There is a lot of opportunity to move around within the organization and there are many things to learn.

Cons

There's definitely a presence of people who have been around a very long time, who are not necessarily top performers. The quality of employees has steadily declined, with the tenured people not being the best and the brightest, but they're typically those who learned to play the game.

Advice to Management

Find a focus. If you want to acquire more companies - quit buying the 4th best company and internally promoting it as "the best." Seek some differentiation. Also - kill work from home.

7. Director of Marketing

I worked at Dell

Pros

Great energy, entrepreneurial spirit, Michael Dell, these guys were known to move quick, great for early career hires to learn and build strong foundation

Cons

Lots of org / leadership changes and politics, often lack of consistent strategy, the further away from Austin, the more removed from career opportunities unless in top ranks

Advice to Management

Focus on your people, diversity and talent. Less politics, manage what matters most, refocus on customers and talent outside of the US

A 4 year slide

Current Employee - IT Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Access to cutting edge technology, large leveraged groups to learn from, safety of big financial backing to keep the lights on and the water running.

Cons

Consistent off shoring and cost cutting has gutted the joy out of the position. Not unlike other large technology firms, especially those in ITO, Dell has consistently moved jobs abroad to save money. Those left behind in the sttes are saddled with more work, no raises, and worse and worse benefits

Advice to Management

You are now a private company, yet still act like you need to hit quarterly financial results for Wall Street. Do something different then the IBM and HP's of the world. Management is not something you can outsource to India, the customers and especially the staff want real leaders standing in front of them and being part of the team.

9. Ok, Depends on your Manager

Former Employee - Sales Support Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Support Engineer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Dell

Pros

Flexibility and ability to move within company

Cons

Stay away from Consumer if it still exists

Advice to Management

Stop with the micro management

10. Best place to work for benefits.

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great benefits. They listen to the employees.

Cons

It is a corporation, so they can and will move complete divisions out of the city you work in.

Advice to Management

Keep policy changes updated to employees.

Dell Response

Mar 30, 2015Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Appreciate the review and post! Will definitely share with our leaders how critical ongoing communications across our teams are to our employees - especially given that our team members are located ... More

Director, Services

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Pay is good. Flexible on working from home. People that I work with are efficient

Cons

Too much conflict about direction, too many bosses and executives without much to do.

Advice to Management

Reduce the number of executives and keep the ones that really understand the business rather than the ones that have very little experience in respective area. Many of the executives are disconnected from what is really happening and make conclusions in a vaccum.

Dell Response

Mar 30, 2015Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your review. In particular, your advice to management is really good feedback for our leadership team!