Dell Reviews

1. Working at Dell

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Dell provides unlimited opportunity for growth. Fast paced environment, fair pay

Cons

Who you know is how far you will go. Here, your network is truly your networth.

2. Great people, work CAN be interesting, DELL benefits and policies second to none.....but no growth.

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Dover, NH

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

DSFG in Dover, NH is an overall nice place to work. Most of the team here are prior retired from either the US Navy or the PNSY, so the median age is higher. Dell has a very liberal "flex hours" policy that is priceless. Salaries seem overall BETTER than the area. Morale seems pretty high and people here are a great crowd of people to get to know. If you're a younger person, you can expect people to be open to teaching you....if you're willing to learn. There is a heavy USN presence here and some might find that off putting, but this is all government contract work, so it's inevitable to have ex-active personal onboard. Benefits from Dell have been stellar thus far, although there was a significant increase in cost in 2015.

Cons

The major con is that there seems to be no career path; DSFG Dover is a pass-through or end-of-career job. No one tries to hide this or deceive though. There are minimal opportunities to move into a management role because there isn't a particularly large chain of command. We have a few higher management positions but they're most certainly reserved for someone who is BOTH a prior active-duty US Navy Officer AND has a bachelor's degree in Engineering. It's the nature of the work that sets these guidelines; the policy is not written in stone, but it's reality. Another negative point is that those individuals with civilian (let's say "customer driven") backgrounds aren't heard as much as those in Club Navy. The final con is that I don't feel we are looking inward to discover our potential, explore opportunities, and fight for new business - we have a LOT of talent under our roof and some of it goes to the wayside. This means we're stuck at the revenue lines we currently have, which are fine and sustaining, but it's been 3 years without major bonuses, raises, and we lost a week of PTO....WAKE UP.

Optimize your resources and use what you have to gain more business. It's the challenging route, but we already have these assets on payroll..... use them. Plant the seed of capability in new customer's minds. This may very well provide new motivation, new positions, and put an end to the stigma that this job is a "pass-through" or "end-of-career" place to work.

3. Be ready to embrace change!

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great for trying new skills, meeting new people, taking on a leadership role.

Cons

Not so great when you aren't consulted about what you want to do.

To avoid the "square peg/round hole" problem, it is best to include the employee in the conversations before the changes.

5. Great company to work for if you are just getting into IT Solution selling.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team members and you get to build your inside sales skills.

Cons

The culture needs to adapt to the times.

Keep your employees in the know.

6. Dell Inc. is a great company to work for and would recommend it to anyone.

I have been working at Dell

Pros

Dell is a very stable company

Cons

most field service work is based on contracts and can be unstable

7. Working in a large corporation has ups and downs

I have been working at Dell

Pros

- Dependent on manager
    - A lot of helpful people
    - Always busy

Cons

- Dependent on manager
    - Personal modifiers are gone, so everyone gets the same bonus
    - Managers are usually promoted from within - not all technical people are qulified to be managers

- Don't force technical people to become managers. If they want to do so, please supply them with training and evaluate them before putting into that position. Not all people should be managers.
    - If a manager leaves a group, have the team evaluate that manager. If an individual leaves a group, have them evaluate their manager before they leave. Going through a reorg right before manager evaluation and have that manager miss an evaluation by people that have worked with them for a while is not beneficial, especially when it happens every year. That is how bad managers can stay around.
    - Put hiring manager's name on internal job postings

8. Director, Sales Operations

Former Employee - Director in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smart people, quality of product

Cons

culture has transformed into P&L based environment. Tight financial company. Developed a reputation as a grind.

Good learning environment. It's a difficult environment to have a difference of opinion.

9. Great Summer Internship

Former Intern - GraduateSenior Advisor in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - GraduateSenior Advisor in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell as an intern

Pros

I worked in GSO. The team really respected work/life balance. Overall, the internship program has a lot to offer in terms of activities, training, and networking opportunities.

Cons

There has been a lot of reorganizing of the departments, making it risky for full time employment

10. Best Company I've worked for in my 20+ years.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to work where you can decide your own future through your efforts.

Cons

There is a great deal of work to be done in a new division that is growing that can infringe on work life balance.

11. Good company, private direction

I worked at Dell

Pros

benefits, peers, training, resources, salary

Cons

confused line of sight, scale, lack of expertise