Dell

3,722 Reviews

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell
Michael S. Dell
2,289 Ratings

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors (in 468 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed (in 158 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can become a challenge; frequent reorganizations affect work quality (in 146 reviews)

• The senior management reporting to Michael is very uneven with a couple of real bozos (in 75 reviews)

More Highlights

is a place is where "I made my bones".

Former Employee - Program Management - Senior Analyst  in  Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Program Management - Senior Analyst in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company is results oriented company and the work is a plentiful. Employees are world class and become life-long friends. Tremendous learning opportunities of a corporation. I could not put a price on the knowledge I gained while working for this company..

Cons

Frequent changes within the organizations BU causes "silent" priorities changes to the established goals.

Remove politics within the executive level and support the leaders underneath them. Recruit talent from within and be cautious your sales executive "buddies" being put into management roles. Mend fences with former shareholders who use to be your promoters.

Lean

Former Employee - Order Management Analyst  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Order Management Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, vacation time and Personal time available asap, work from home part time or full time, salary pay increase yearly

Cons

management - not educated to deal with people. executive are unaware of the needs of the day to day employee, executive making decisions that affected customer experience therefore Dell brand. No career growth. Working at Dell has become a place for a job, not a career.

management team and executive team needs personal growth

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great brand and has all qualities of a global company. Good benefits in US. Good work-life balance. Great colleagues to work with. India situation is different though. Privatization has changed things a bit and still unclear of how it is going to benefit employees.

Cons

Bangalore location is different. No hikes. More work. No options to get new projects/ if at all changing projects all those are existing ones. Most are egoistic and micro-managing managers who don't trust their subordinates. They don't get any new projects only extend existing contracts.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Employer

Former Employee - Middle Management
    Former Employee - Middle Management

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Offers ongoing employee online training within your career path
    Listens and takes action on employee survey concerns

Cons

Annual increase percentage can be small, depending on division

Get rid of over restrictive bell curve-- truly base increases on employee performance.

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Interface Developer IV  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Interface Developer IV in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits
    Career progression
    Work life balance
    Salary
    work culture

Cons

Big organisation issues like finding apporpriate information for career developemnt

No complains

Outstanding

Former Employee - Alliances  in  Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Alliances in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great teams, corporate vision and strategy. There is uncertainty at times and you have to deal with ambiguous direction at times, however this will give you the opportunity to separate yourself from everyone else.

Cons

I'm a little "Old School" and do not like to work from home, however, this is the direction of the company is to have their employees remote. I believe stronger collaboration occurs in the office.

Stay focused on the direction

Surprisingly comfortable despite changes

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity for growth, open communication, fast work pace, good recognition policies, awesome culture, competitive pay and benefits, ethical, values driven, consistent, loyal to the brand/image, great work/life balance, challenging and rewarding for anyone with a lot of stamina and/or people who don't mind rolling up their sleeves and getting to work.

Cons

Stressful, intense work environment, face pace, training issues, slow to change, can be negatively competitive, very segmented, arcane business divisions make it difficult to connect, slow and complex hire processes leave areas vulnerable if and when key knowledge holders leave the area or company.

It's been an intense year for Dell, and everyone still working there has felt it. However, as massive company changes go Dell actually handled the change well and seems to be working hard to make existing employees more confident and to make the company more attractive to talented newcomers.

Dell Response

Aug 25, 2014Candidate and Employee Experience Team

Thank you for your review. It is honest and thorough and that is exactly what our readers need to hear. We share reviews and sentiment on Glassdoor with our leadership team directly on a regular ... More

Excellent company to develop knowledge and experience in business transformation

Former Employee - Senior Consultant (Operations)  in  Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant (Operations) in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Desire to succeed as a company is strong with multiple avenues for learning. Most of the executive management team is well experienced in the industry while at Dell and with external companies. The people you were with on a day to day basis are intelligent and enjoyable to work with. Compensation is on par with a large company and the support provided by the company infrastructure on average is good.

Cons

Dell is continuing to transform itself into a software/solutions company. The reputation in the local area is, Dell is a meat grinder with long hours and over-burdening workloads. Much of this is reputation is the result of inefficiencies in the processes and the acceptance for average tools. It's easy to be part of the processes which perpetuate this image. Unlike many of my peers, I believe my time and efforts resulted in valuable results in a manageable schedule (working smarter, not harder).

the management levels are highly diversified with many of your executive leaders coming from outside Dell while nearly all of your first line managers are long-time Dell employees. At a management level you should be willing to push the envelope and not conform to all strategies. For the betterment of the company, more managers at Dell should be willing to "buck" the current models and demand the right change for the right reasons. Dell has excellent tools to help managers manage their business and their teams.

Lots of opportunity to learn and grow, just don't plan on getting promoted.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Dell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is literally a job for everyone at Dell. Every job imaginable is done somewhere within the company.

Cons

Dell cannot find a way to allow employees to move from position to position within the company. It's far easier to lay them off or too convenient to allow them to leave and hire off the street (often previous Dell employees) than it is to allow them to move from one department to another.

Fix the waterfall and require movement from entry level positions to more senior ones to retain talent. Your failure is in allowing HSB to hold onto talent and keeping employees from moving around.

Great work life balance, flexible with roles

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Dell full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Best work life balance among tech companies today
    You can move roles every 18 months
    Meritocracy upto a point
    They pay really well for Texas

Cons

Constant fears of layoffs
    Frequent reorgs
    Growth beyond a point is hard.

Dell Response

Aug 18, 2014Candidate & Employee Experience Team

Thanks so much for your constructive feedback! We will take this feedback into consideration!

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!