Dell

Dell Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated Feb 20, 2014

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell

Michael S. Dell

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors(in 463 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed(in 156 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a myth if you are a manager working with global team(in 145 reviews)

• If you are looking for a position, stick to a senior management position(in 74 reviews)

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sr. Principal Engineer

Senior Principal Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsDell (Sonicwall) pursues all security challenges

ConsBig company. Hence moves slow

Hiring/firing @ Dell is just like open flood gates

Director (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsHuge opportunities in front Dell

ConsBut, no environment to take differentiated thinking to next level.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have very few rare thinkers in the company. Through this restructuring process, you are loosing those few as well. You may want put extra gates in identifying whom you want to keep and whom you want to let go. Your current model is just "open flood gates" for both hiring/firing. Very hard to hire right talent, last thing you want to do is loose those great ones.

Good Work/life Balance

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsVery good work/life balance. Good Managers and co-workers. Huge investments in R&D and lots of new projects to work on.

ConsBeauracratic. New recruites are preferred over retaining existing talent. Current employees are under-paid compared to new employees. too many organizational changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend as many dollars on retaining existing employees as you would be willing to spend on recruiting new employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent company

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGreat training, tons of exposure to new technology, great benefits

Constravel if you are a consultant

Perfect job for the "big picture" sales guy.

Account Executive (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosvery consistent sales quotas. Executive support is awesome. Decent pay

Conspolitics as usual. Its gotten better with new management though.

Dell Computer

Product Planner (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsWork/ Life balance
    Great team

ConsIf you are not part of so- called Dell Core team located in Texas, or if you are part of one of Dell aquired company located other than Texas, most likely, your opinions and voice will be dismissed

Advice to Senior ManagementNo Comment

Very positive

Director (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsLearning opportunity, a lot to learn and grow. Good balance of work and life. Overall a good place to work for.

ConsToo much fat, too many processes. There are many people who have been there for 10 to 20 years and they are not updated with what is going on in the real world.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify good performers and take care of them

Sr Engineer

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsGood company to work if you are looking into current data center technologies.

ConsNot much employee benefits as compared to other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement can be improved in lot of ways.

Need some invigorating

Product Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsDecent people to work with, newly acquired companies have a lot of fire and potential.

ConsThe old guard, existing Dell, is a it complacent, but they are making huge efforts to transform.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed massive change, need product managers who know the market and customers, not generalists.

A solid company with a sound strategy

Senior Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsJob security, good benefits, work/life balance, excellent managers, culture of doing what's right for the customer, strong sense of community and giving back

ConsCulture of passive negativity, difficult to change strategy rapidly, sales is very hardware centric, M&A integration will take time

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile the strategy is sound, it will take too long to execute with too many legacy folks who only provide lip service that their willing to change. Interjection of new blood, particularly at the leadership levels will speed up the process. Those who don't want to be part of the new Dell should leave.

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!