Dell

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell

Michael S. Dell

95 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great income for sales, but no job security even for high performers

Inside Sales Representative III (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsGreat income and fast upward movement possible for sales, at least.

Relationship Sales is challenging and rewarding, and the Nashville culture is pretty great most of the time.

Vendor-sponsored product fairs and lunch 'n' learns provide free food and random trinkets regularly - this can be a con too if you can't say no to Gigi's cupcakes once in a while!!

ConsManagement is hit or miss because they usually promote interested high-performing sales reps to management - and a good sales rep is not always a good manager. Some are really good, and a few are terrible.

Not enough communication about how quotas are set, so they often seem arbitrary and sometimes unfair.

Activity metrics aren't hard to hit, but don't usually have any direct correlation to results and can be a distraction from other activities that actually produce better results. Furthermore, they make the activity metrics a requirement to keep work from home perks, so if working from home a couple of days a week is important to you, the distraction is absolutely required.

In sales, there are constant rumors about massive layoffs coming down the pike, because they do happen and it's often the people who have been around a long time and performed consistently who are the first to go. If you've had one bad quarter and the layoff comes at the end of that quarter, you're likely to be on the chopping block. Especially if you've received some merit increases in salary over the years and sit at the high end of the pay scale for your group/division. Granted, all of this was before the company went private and so it may have changed. Probably not... :)

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to consider long-term consistent performance over the "what have you done for me this quarter" mentality - customers don't like changing reps all the time, so it just doesn't make sense to keep up the revolving door. It costs you more to hire and train a new person than to give someone who's had a bad quarter or two a chance to turn things around.

Lots of opportunity for driven individuals

Services Manager (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

Proswork/life balance, growth opportunity, pay, benefits

ConsUpper management never "lets the dust settle" and is constantly changing the comp plan and account alignments to course correct results. Need to allow reps to cultivate business over time instead of changing how things work every quarter.

Advice to Senior Managementsee cons

Flag Review
    Dell Candidate and Employee Experience Team responded to this review Jul 9, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your review! We agree, there has been quite a bit of change within Dell. Recently, there has been more change as we created global business units to better serve our customers as well ... More

Compassionate but challenging

Tier II Help Desk Technician (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsPromotions are plentiful for those with the skills and drive to succeed. The management staff care about their employees on a personal level, and still call me to this day to check in on me since I was forced to leave due to a medical condition. It's a fun place to work and very accepting of individuality and encouraging of non-conformist approaches that increase efficiency and accuracy.

ConsEmployees who become complacent can drag down other employees with potential, and there tends to be a huge and unfounded paranoia of unfair business practices. Rest assured, those who actually put in the effort are handsomely rewarded. This is not a company where you can "do your time" and expect automatic reward, and many employees get miffed at that.

Advice to Senior ManagementCull the negative nannies if at all possible.

Flag Review
    Dell Candidate and Employee Experience Team responded to this review Jun 17, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your honest comments about your experience with the company. We have shared your thoughts with our leadership team.
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can be financially rewarding, but must deal with stress.

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsFast paced environment. A big deal is seemingly always around the corner. While commissions are capped it still possible to make a great living working for this company. Always enjoyed my co-workers.

ConsStress related management styles and the constant reinvention of strategies eventually wear you out.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to bring the human element back to the environment. Gift cards and contests are great short term motivators but after while all it feels like is a bribe to put up with the constant flux in strategies of the company that produce mid sales cycle comp plan changes, loss of active accounts for no real reason, etc.

Challenging

Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

Prosgood pay and benefits, plenty of paid time off

Consmandatory overtime, focus on numbers, micromanage, management takes employee ideas and presents to upper level management as their own

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees during focus groups, Stop with all the talk of numbers. Build morale among employees

Nice place to work

Help Desk Technician (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsBest food ever! Nice ppl all around. Management is okay, all depends on you. Decent work life balance.

ConsPay is on the lower end.

Advice to Senior Managementprovide more training. and advancement opportunities not only for ppl who have been to every dept. or thats been at the company forever.

Flag Review
    Thanks for the review! Sounds like you had a positive experience while with Dell! Please know that we are always looking at innovative and new ways to reward our best performing team members.

Not bad if you like to work.

Inside Sales Representative IV (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsThe money is there to be made.
    There is a very close relationship to colleagues.

ConsPart of the reason the fellow sales reps are so close knit is due to the terrible communication and lack of understanding from the execs above.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent and make it an environment we want to work in.
    We don't work together - Make it seem like you are in the trenches with us, not miles away barking orders.

Decent money if you can handle all of the CONS

Corporate Accounts Manager (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsThe benefits and pay are good-to-great. You are "vested" into your benefits from day one, from means that THEORETICALLY you can start taking vacation and sick days your first week on the job.

ConsThis is the most disorganized and unappreciative company I have ever worked for. The mid level and high level managers have absolutely no idea what goes on day-to-day in the company. They make arbitrary decisions that negatively effect productivity, only to turn around and change these policies from quarter to quarter. Dell is mostly "organically grown" and has absolutely no kind of management training program of any sort- which means the culture of failure and mediocrity is passed down from manager to manager with no end in sight. If you are on a commission based pay, expect your quotas and pay scale to change unexpectedly quarter to quarter. Every time you get "promoted" to a higher division for sales you have a smaller account set and make less money. Management has no earthly idea of to fairly determine compensation and quota sets. The most entry-level positions make the most money 90% of the time, tenure gets you nowhere unless you get lucky and win one of the very few "good" jobs that open up.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest a lot of money into a world class management and continuing education training program. This company is a ship without a captain in so many divisions. Decisions need to be made for sound business reasons as opposed to politics or ego driven reasons. Stop hiring outside the company for the same job at higher pay scales than the people with 3-4 years of tenure are making.

Great pay, very good coworkers, sucks to travel all of the time

Onsite Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsGreat pay. The people I work with are top notch. Low turn over.

ConsThere is too much damn travel. If you are customer facing, expect to travel a lot.

Wasn't what I expected.

Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

ProsThe managers and team really worked to make you better at what you did. No matter the level of competency.

ConsKeeping up with the numbers. Also, there isn't really room for growth if you're in the technical support side.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management was great. I didn't have any issues. They helped when needed.

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!

Dell Videos

Dell – Why Work for Us?

With more than 100,000 team members globally, we promote an environment that is rooted in the entrepreneurial spirit in which the company was founded. Dell’s team members are committed to serving our communities… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dell reviews and ratings in Tennessee — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dell CEO Michael S. Dell. All 95 reviews posted anonymously by Dell employees.