Deloitte

www.deloitte.com

Deloitte Reviews

Pros
  • There are options for partial telecommuting which contributes to work/life balance(in 423 reviews)

• Great place to start off your career to learn a lot of skills(in 143 reviews)

Cons
  • As per me not a long term career option for people who give imp to work life balance(in 1082 reviews)

• Literally no work life balance(Or No life only work) as a Center associate(in 218 reviews)

Deloitte is an overall good place to work and great place to start a career.

Tax Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI chose a career at Deloitte because of the recognition and reputation you get from working at a "Big 4" firm . After working there for a little more than a year I can honestly say that I am happy with my choice. If you get your work done, show quality of effort and perform well there is ample opportunity to grow within the firm. The main thing is meeting the expectations that are set for you and exceeding them if you are capable. The benefits packages and the health subsidy offered are also great.

ConsThe only down side is the busy season when the hours become insane. I work in tax so we have 2 busy seasons that each consist of about 6 to 8 weeks.

For the October tax season, the worst ever week was 105 hours. There were 2 weeks like that and the rest of the October busy season, which lasts a total of 2 months, was an average of 75 -80 hours weekly.

The April busy season was not as bad as October, my weekly average was about 70-75 hours, and I didn't have to endure any 100+ hour weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am very pleased with the Senior Management in my group because they all are very caring and smart people who take a genuine interest in the people who work with them and ask them for their guidance.

Overall satisfied, gets too political at times.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosflexible work enviornment, talented workforce and projects

Constoo political, bad behavior by senior management not jus tolerate but rewarded at times.

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on employee retenion by not allowing bad behavior by key players to continue as it erodes morale of the group

Collegial but somewhat conservative environment; interesting work for the most part

Consultant - Strategy & Operations (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFor a first job out of college, few other professions can offer work as interesting and exposure as broad as management consulting. The Deloitte brand name is recognizable and nice to add to the resume (see downsides for the "but"). There are substantial travel perks associated with the job if you take advantage of it. I've had the privilege of working with smart, responsible, engaging, and fun colleagues 90% of the time.

ConsDeloitte brand in Strategy Consulting does not compare to its better-known competition although some services are catching up or already competing at the top level. Chances are, the more junior people at the staff level have little control on the types of engagements they get staffed on. Perhaps consistent with the rest of the corporate world, the culture can be a little conservative and conformative: people while collegial tend to be a little stiff and dull until you get to know them better while working in smaller teams, college hires come from a handful of large schools resulting in a homogenous population

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more opportunities for employees in consulting to broaden their experiences especially to work in other international offices. Continue to build the brand name. Improve compensation and benefits.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place!

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe atmosphere, the promise of challenging and interesting work, the clear career path and the focus on work life balance.

ConsThe rigors of traveling all the time, working long and sometimes unpredictable hours in different client environments, being on different teams, and knowing that your success depends just as much on the quality of your work as the relationships you have been able to maintain.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management should invest more in teaching those in middle tiers how to be better teachers for those than join the firm at lower levels.

Audit.Tax.Consulting. Financial Advisory. - None of the the Big 4 has this caliber.

Audit Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsReputation of the firm and the culture is very dynamic.

ConsThe hours of course (which is typical in Wall Street), and fake (not all of course) upper management if you run into some.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo not be fake and be genuine - as for my first client, there was Senior Manager who came to the client site to run thing around and it was obvious that he was a seller to suck up his clients and I did not enjoy the way he talks, it was very fake and too much acting to try to sell the business of Deloitte (of course not all are like this).

Overall, good compensation and people, questionable career options

Consultant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsDeloitte offers a lot of variety and opportunity. I was able to work on a breadth of experience that would have otherwise not been exposed too. I thought the people were truly great people to work with throughout the company.

ConsWhile the people are highly consistent in general, there are always exceptions and typically you can expect once in a blue moon to work for a less that amenable personality.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeloitte needs to adopt the mentality that future placement of current employees in new jobs at other companies is a good thing and should be supported.

If you want to do consulting, try to find a different place to do it.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPretty easy work. The place is not stressful and there is not a lot of pressure. I know people with 50% billable hours that still got promotions. If you look hard you can find interesting projects.

ConsThe people are fairly incompetent and it gets worse as you go up the food chain... Some of managment and some of the partners are terrible, they overpromise work to clients and then push back on analysts and consultants to bill fewer hours. Most of the projects are second rate operations or Sox, as the really good ones go to the big 3 firms (Mck, Bcg, Bain).

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the people and dont overpromise during recruiting

Great money, but you pay.

Audit Senior Manager (Current Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsPay is excellent, people are good to work with, in general. The benefits are good, and there are opportunities to "opt out" of being a partner. However, you need to be aware that there is a price to pay for "opting out" of that path. You will never realize the respect that those who didn't "opt out" have.

ConsA partnership is a pyramid, in general. You need to know this, going in, and be willing to sacrifice a lot in the name of devotion to the people at the top of that pyramid, and recognize that if you are not clearly pursuing being at the top of that pyramid, you will NOT survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't honestly know. They've made a decision on how to run the company, and they're living by it.

Watch Out!

Consultant (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsContinueing education and overall compensation

Consno loyalty and lack of organization of assigning projects

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication

Great for people who love to work long and hard hours with lots of stress for some payoffs of money and career growth

Manager - AERS (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou will find lots of opportunities to grow professionally and you will get to work with a large and diverse number of people. You can also quickly gain leadership positions. Plus the salaries and benefits are good.

ConsIn order to be successful at Deloitte, in a client service role, you need to devote nearly all of your waking hours to your job. You need to be ok with lots of travel. And you need to be ok with lots and lots of administrative duties and constant scrutiny from your bosses.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to realize that your perceptions are not always accurate. Please stop pretending that work-life balance is a priority at Deloitte because it is not a priority at all.

Worked for Deloitte? Contribute to the Community!