www.deloitte.com

6,970 Reviews

Deloitte Global CEO Barry Salzberg
Barry Salzberg
1,594 Ratings

Pros
  • There are options for partial telecommuting which contributes to work/life balance (in 471 reviews)

• Great place to start your career as a recent graduate who is looking for experience (in 167 reviews)

Cons
  • As per me not a long term career option for people who give imp to work life balance (in 1260 reviews)

• Literally no work life balance(Or No life only work) as a Center associate (in 254 reviews)

More Highlights

89 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Deloitte dominates during the day Then hangs out after!

Current Employee - Tax in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tax in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Deloitte will provides the opporotunity for people to grow within the field of accounting. They give you the flexibility for everyone to have a work life balance. Also, you are able to set your on times. If you want to come in late and stay late then that is ok or if you would rather come in early that is ok too. Upper management has confidence in you that you will get your work done and they wont stand over waiting for things to get completed. Deloitte Tax gives the opporotunity to work with clients directly even at an early position. Plus, there is always a happy hour going so its not all about hard work but Deloitte likes to have fun too.

Cons

Like any accounting firm, you are going to have to work a lot. Deloitte gives you plenty of vacation time so the time is there if you need, but during busy season it is busy. Deloitte has set goal hours that everyone has to meet weekly. I know in Houston is 55, but everyone is different. You wont get fired if you dont meet these hours, but they are simply a goal for everyone. Also, sometimes you are given last minute notice on an assignment, but that also goes along with working in a service industry. If the clients needs something Monday you have to get it to them on Monday. But, other then that I have enjoyed my time working with Deloitte and I believe the downsides are the things we take on with having a job.

My experience at Deloitte Senior Management has never really been too involved with the interns. This may be my only experience because I know several other interns have worked with senior managers. I think if they are a buddy to an intern or staff level then we could have a better outlook on the senior management roll because right now I am not exactly sure what the job requirements are for a senior manager

Deloitte is great and the best place to launch a career.

Current Employee - Tax Staff in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Staff in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

The people are really nice and laid back. You will have an awesome resume builder and work with a great group of talented young individuals. They care about your promotions and how much you're learning. However, they also care about your personal life and how satisfied you are with your job. That is reall nice and reassuring. Also, the people are Deloitte aren't nerds or stuck up like some ppl at the other firms which makes it a really nice place to work. Finally, we know how to party and have free time but that doesn't consume our day. In the end, we're still accountants and you can't forget that.

Cons

The hours during busy season. I'm not too crzy about the office either. Not alot of sunlight enters the center of the office where the cubilces are because the managements offices surround the windows. I'd like more travel opportunties with tax too. But overall, I can't say too much negative stuff about Deloitte because there isn't any.

We need a new office and better bonuses...more like the ones Investment Bankers get. We are compensated fairly but I think that management could do a better job at increasing the bonuses, etc. The salaries are legit right now.

Great place to start and finish your career!

Current Employee - Audit Partner in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Audit Partner in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Great place to work with great people and great clients. It's also a place that you can work as hard as you want or as little as you want. The harder you work, though, the more you are appreciated and rewarded.

Cons

You can get caught up in the over demand for the organization's services. If you're not careful, you can work everyday. Don't let that happen to yourself but do step up when necessary. You will not be disappointed.

Begin to right size and scale back the utilization requirements. They are too high in certain markets.

Current Employee - Marketing in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Deloitte offers good benefits and a lot of flexibility when you need it. The people are also great - for the most part everyone is intelligent, ambitious, and friendly.

Cons

Deloitte is a very beaurocratic organization that is slow to react because so many people must be consulted in every decision. The firm is so risk averse that it won't take any steps to be truly innovative, despite many internal campaigns to give the appearance that it is encouraging innovation.

get rid of the red tape that makes it so difficult for people to do their jobs

good place to earn the experience

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

good public accounting experience for your career.

Cons

it's underpay compare to the market.

raise salary

I've worked at better....and worse...companies

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

- good name to have on a resume
    - fosters great community of coworkers
    - an excellent environment for learning and networking

Cons

- the "work/life balance" they tote is simply a recruiting ploy
    - churn and burns new employees who are totally burnt out after a year or two
    - office politics are the path to promotions and bonuses. If you aren't liked by the right people, you will be passed over.

Deloitte should seriously examine and act on their high attrition rate. The retirement plan is a joke, and the chronic understaffing and brutal hours drive the most talented away to companies that truly respect work/life balance. I'd love to see a Deloitte that works to keep its employees engaged and advancing rather than counting high attrition and cheap new hires to keep costs down.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

- Good Career Path that gives you the chance to progress quickly if you do well and understand how to navigate well.
    - Strong People from a variety of backgrounds.
    - Diverse projects across numerous industries: healthcare, energy, telecommunications, government etc..
    - Excellent for College hires who are able to work in a collegiate environment that offers support for its employees

Cons

- Reliance on Networking to progress makes it challenging. It is often who you know as much as the work that you do
    - Mentorship is luck of the draw in terms of career councillors

Keep the hiring bar high and attract and retain the best talent.

Working at Deloitte

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Opportunities to work for different projects.

Cons

Too many administrative tasks to take care of after project completion.

Management should match Sr. Manager to project requirements.

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

Project change keeps it interesting. Travel perks and rewards are good when not staffed on a local project. Fridays and days in the home office are flexible. Deloitte supports work/life balance and you can guide your career at a pace you are happy with. Great support to start out and Deloitte provides a wide range of experiences for new hires. This can help develop skills in many areas which can be a great start to a career. Training and development opportunities are plentiful and you guide your growth. Flexible travel arrangements - you can fly home or somewhere else when on a project as long as the cost is the same. When not on a project you actively seek assignment, but in the meantime it is okay to have a few slow days to recharge.

Cons

Travel can be exhausting. Hours required are very high. Highly competitive rating system. If you get staffed on a project in a city you are not fond of it can be horrible, but at least it will end eventually. While Deloitte strives to help employees maintain work/life balance, it can still be very difficult to schedule vacation time during projects. Deloitte's policy is 3-4-5 - basically meaning you travel Mon.-Thurs. and are in your home office on Friday. However, there are many times you must begin travel on a Sun. and don't get home until late on Thurs., but it varies project to project so it all changes eventually.

The best project managers are those who allow their employees to have flexibility as far as taking days to recharge and travel expenditures.

Great place to start your career.

Current Employee - ERS Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - ERS Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

You get great experience and leadership opportunities are prevalent. The pay is good. There are lots of organizations you can join to feel connected. You are in charge of your own career. You have the opportunity to somewhat run your schedule as long as you get your work done.

Cons

Bad luck with getting bad clients. Not all managers are good. The reasons I identified as good reasons to work at Deloitte are based on the assumption that you get a good manager. My experiences so far have been positive. There is a political aspect to Deloitte that you must deal with as well.

Look at scheduling people more based on what they are interested in.