Deloitte LLP

Deloitte LLP CEO Joe Echevarria

Joe Echevarria

(1,029 ratings)

5,611 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "There are options for partial telecommuting which contributes to work/life balance"
    in 343 reviews
  • "Good place to start your professional career as they hire almost everybody"
    in 123 reviews
Cons:
  • "As per me not a long term career option for people who give imp to work life balance"
    in 866 reviews
  • "Depending on your client you will be expected to work really long hours during year-end"
    in 671 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Deloitte Transactions and Business Analytics

I have been working at Deloitte LLP full-time

Pros- Lots of opportunities (international rotations, long-term projects outside of service line, all industries and types of clients covered)

- People are overall VERY GOOD to work with. The mass majority of people, partners included, are very nice and helpful, and actually respect when you want to take vacation (you'll start out with 5 weeks by the way, at a minimum - take them)

- You will learn a ton if you are willing to put in the work. This is a tremendous place to begin a career or transition into a new industry. From working with major clients, to building and sharpening your Excel/Word/PowerPoint skills, to presenting ideas to your supervisor or partners - you'll have a very solid skill set to make you marketable to other employers if this isn't a long-term career fit.

- Solid overall framework in place. While this can be a turnoff in the sense that things can be bureaucratic at times, there aren't many surprises in terms of decisions the company makes and how its employees are compensated / treated.

- Most people just seem to care about "getting the work done" and don't watch the clock when you're in or out of the office. If you need to dip out early, come in late, or run to doctor appointment in afternoon, someone isn't watching over your shoulder - just get your stuff done and you'll be fine.

Cons- The nature of client service work can make hours you need to put in unpredictable at times. This is consistent with any client service work (consulting, banking, accounting, etc.) though, and hours generally aren't too bad. 50 hour weeks on average - really depends on projects. Less during summer, more during winter months. Weekend work is pretty rare, too.

- Compared to some of the other opportunities given your skill set, the compensation is on the low-end. Bases are somewhat consistent with other jobs, but bonuses tend to be significantly less than banks.

- Such a large company that it's tough to keep track of what leaders at the top are thinking and overall strategy. You'll get weekly updates from CEO and regional leaders, but it's not going to be the type of insight you would get, perhaps even on a personal level, at a smaller company.

Advice to Senior Management- To the extent feasible, increase compensation to better retain talent. Many of the top performers aren't willing to ride it out until partner (when you do really get rewarded, by the way)

Senior Manager

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Deloitte LLP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork life balance and ability to learn new and develop new skillsets. Firm spends a lot of time in investing in their people and developing skillsets to be a business partner to the clients that we serve.

ConsI do not have any thus far.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep leading from the front.

Experienced Manager

Audit Manager (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Deloitte LLP full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExposure to a wide variety of topics, including technical accounting, financial reporting and SOX. High visibility to upper management of various private and public companies from an early stage in your career.

ConsThere is very little differentiation between high performers and low performers as everyone makes basically the same amount. Slow income growth with very little visibility into the metrics used to drive salary decisions. Long hours year round.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore visibility into salary decisions. More differentiation between high and low performers. Reward loyalty by compensating those who intend to stay with the Company as opposed to offering salary increases only to those who are about to quit.

A good firm to help understand the consulting world.

Consultant (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Deloitte LLP full-time for more than 5 years

ProsContinuous learning and challenging environment. Overall development not only on your track but also networking, relationship and time management. Deloitte promotes transparency and hence senior management are mostly available to talk and help on any topic. Seniors mostly are willing to meet you and discuss your interests/concerns. You can get good mentoring. It also has decent compensation and expense benefits.

ConsDeloitte has too many people so one needs a lot of networking to grow in the firm. Promotion is more dependent on the people you know than skillsets you have. As Deloitte promotes networking and internal firm services apart from regular client work, many times there are too many trainings and firm/networking events planned in a week and it becomes confusing and annoying to join any. Also there are too many spam emails that keeps coming everyday which people hardly read. It becomes overwhelming especially if someone is new to the firm

Advice to Senior ManagementReducing spam emails

Great people make all the difference

ERS Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte LLP full-time for less than a year

ProsYou work hard/long hours but you work in a great team that supports you. Deloitte provides lots of training opportunities and other ways to progress your career.

ConsIt is a consultancy so by nature you travel every week, Monday to Thursday. This can get tiring and your work/life balance can suffer.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out a solution for the 'road warrior' problem, e.g. let people rotate in working from home for one week at a time.

Deloitte was a very positive experience

Consulting Partner (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Deloitte LLP full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDuring my time there we went from # 5 in Consulting to #1

ConsBecause of the massive size of the company, there was a bit of politics, but very manageable

Advice to Senior Managementmaintain quality

Great place to work.

ERS Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte LLP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Fast paced.
- Best and the brightest to work with.
- Top end technology and resources like ultrabooks, iPhone 5s.
- Best tools to make your job easier.
- Work life Balance (no really, over the the whole year).
- Compassionate managers.
- Own your career.

Cons- Pay could be better (but you go up fast).
- Your entire experience will depend on the project you are assigned.
- Review process is lengthy and drawn out.
- Sales! Sales! Sales!
- During busy season, it's busy.
- Own your own career, so if you fail, it's on you.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat i would like to see is: Less focus on what resources fill what need and focus on what the end goal is. Too often resources are just pulled around haphazardly and then they are just set up to fail. If you pull a marketing major in to program algorithms, obviously it's going to fail for both the engagement and the resource.
Don't bottle people into an industry. Once one industry contracts let the next expansion flourish. All to often good people will leave when they could leverage knowledge in another industry.

What you are doing well: Letting people own their career. Letting people take the initiative to make a difference. Keeping the focus on happy people matter.

Great culture, overall a wonderful place to work!

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte LLP full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCulture, opportunities to develop your career, training

Consperformance review process - not enough real-time feedback

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency in compensation, better incentives

Company review

I have been working at Deloitte LLP full-time

ProsGood working culture and type of work. Short assignments do not allow you to be board and the travelling opportunities take you around the globe.

ConsThe work culture demands high networking skills. one needs to be highly proactive to identify and grab staffing opportunities.

Great place to learn

Audit Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at Deloitte LLP full-time for less than a year

ProsThey value their people. Lots of free lunches and excellent training. Deloitte University is amazing. This is a great place to develop as a leader

ConsHours can be rough, especially during busy season. Clients can be unreasonable and difficult to work with. Commutes can be really long, although they say they try to keep where you live in mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe feel understaffed and the "ask" seems to keep increasing. Consider how to incentivise staff to stick around when all they see is how hard the people above them are working

Worked for Deloitte LLP? Contribute to the Community!

Deloitte LLP Videos

Deloitte LLP – Why Work for Us?

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Deloitte LLP reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Deloitte LLP CEO Joe Echevarria. All 5,611 reviews posted anonymously by Deloitte LLP employees.