Deloitte LLP

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Deloitte LLP CEO Joe Echevarria

Joe Echevarria

237 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great reputation, but strong internal politics can make your experience terrible

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Deloitte LLP full-time for more than a year

ProsSolid pay for the field, great reputation as a big 4 consulting firm, talented people

Consstaffing works primarily through networks, strong internal politics, if you don't come into the firm in a strong position it can be difficult to advance, management will work you into the ground and not think twice about it. Federal consultants are second class citizens.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring people at lower levels that are not talented enough to be partners someday

Consulting

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte LLP full-time for less than a year

ProsVariety of job options, great training

ConsI don't have any cons for working at this company. If you understand consulting....its is what it is.. The good, the bad the ugly.

High visible work working with high achievers to produce top quality deliverable in tight timelines

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Deloitte LLP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsQualified and smart consultants, high quality work, top notch experience, excellent network, matrix driven, own your career, lots of training opportunity

Constight timelines, pressure, high visibility, stringent quality and performance measurement

Advice to Senior Managementkeep rocking with values of customer focus, high quality, excellence, team work, brand

Well run company

Specialist Track (Former Employee)

I worked at Deloitte LLP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBe prepared to be continuously trained and challenged. Busy environment. Exciting work sites. Travel if you want. Wide range of benefits. Nice corporate offices. Excellent Enterprise Social network.

ConsAwful performance review system, employees rate each other and some have hang-ups. Don't have a bad year or you're out. Engagements may only last a few months. Company is always the highest bidder.

Rewarding: could be better

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Deloitte LLP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpen door policy to meet partners - All partners were open to discussions

Open culture - The culture is very open and accomodating; more so than the other large organizations

Decent pay - Average to above average based on informal knowledge

Great benefits - 5 weeks vacation (everything together)

ConsLong hours - expected work hours to meet expectations are definitely more than 60 per week.

Vacation conundrum - Can never take all the vacation (5 week per years at my level) per year unless you do not want a bonus that year.

Too much focus on sales - Everything is about meeting numbers. Only good delivery folks need not apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementTackle the expectation of working long hours and lose the under-performers fast! After all, others are taking their slack up to deliver.

Great Potential, All Too Often Unrealized -- Disappointing for All

Senior Manager - Services (Former Employee)

I worked at Deloitte LLP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDeloitte often manages to hire great people and to foster a culture that values people (as opposed to "human" resources or widgets). It offers loads of training and values outside certifications (unlike many firms of similar or larger size).

ConsMarch 2014:
1. DTTL: Does not function as a global firm, only a global umbrella, thus there is no "Deloitte." The current US head seems to be retreating from predecessor's efforts in that direction. Thus, too many Deloitte worldwdie entities cannot draw on the overall firm, because agreements are not in place to enable this. The basic reason for this continued disunity seems to be greed on a partner-by-partner basis -- a lack of partner/ principal/ director (PPD) consensus to act as "Deloitte."
2. Deloitte US firms: (Of which there are 4 go-to-market members and at least 1 internal, back office provider) reputedly fight each other in the commercial marketplace and threaten to bring that mentality to the Federal practice (though the new Federal head may be well aware of this problem and likely to challenge it, if not preclude it).
3. Deloitte Federal: Aims to bring in superior practices from Deloitte US now that BearingPoint buyout has finished but faces leftover bureaucracy, which politics for position and power rather than strive to provide top-quality services internally and thus is poised to poison new (commercial) Federal head's efforts.
4. Employees: As is typical in any large firm, many great people find their hard work undermined by politicking office bureaucrats, which converts many people into "lane-swimmers" and actively demoralizes people from entrepreneurship -- ironically, despite the fact that the firm still follows a partner model. A guiding principle should be that all employees act like PPDs and thus merit reward; instead, the performance management system seems to function as 1) legal cover for bi-annual lay-offs and 2) personal cover for favoritism among the bureaucratic-minded.
5. Bottom Line - Employees: Like most firms, if you come to the firm a desired talent and find yourself wanted and protected by one or more PPDs, you will do well over time. If a PPD has not pursued you to join, or if you have not "blossomed" to a such a degree or landed in a lucky position that makes you sought after by a PPD, then plan to work here 1-2 years and then move on, after exchanging long hours of your honest service for a good name, training, and benefits.

Advice to Senior Management1. Read Pros and Cons above -- carefully
2. Bottom Line - PPDs:
2.a. Reward employees first and foremost who act as your PPD stewards -- after all, Deloitte is a partnership!
2.b. Create real accountability for PPDs and lead the firm to a higher level with true leadership ("do as the captain says -- and does," not "do as the captain says -- not does")
2.c. Un-clutter PPD schedules so they can provide the leadership needed
2.d. End the double standards between PPDs and employee so they you gain meaningful buy-in and long-term employment out of people who will not otherwise become PPDs
2.e. Start by providing (at a minimum) cost-of-living increases in benefits

Not what I expected....

ERS Consultant (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte LLP for less than a year

ProsReallly smart people, main office, trainings, flexibility, and resource.

ConsThe current project moves slower than working directly with the client. I have days without doing anything and others which I'm bombarded. I' ve to be asking for work and report my availability...
Depends who you work with....

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the workload so things can get done correctly and timely

What you do, and who you know.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Deloitte LLP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBig firm with good benefits. Depending on the project you're assigned to, and the team you're working with can be a positive working experience. There are a lot of opportunities for those who qualify, and meet the desired requirements.

ConsBig firm challenges. Hierarchy of a big firm. In order to be recognized, and perceived positively by firm leadership you're gonna have to possess a valuable skill, or work your tail off and sacrifice your personal life to contribute to other firm related activities. Work essentially becomes your life, and identity. Corporate culture varies depending on project, but have observed, and experienced dysfunctional management styles where team members are disrespected, embarrassed, excluded for not "fitting in" to the group. The highly competitive culture creates an atmosphere where it's a dog eat dog environment. I assume this is prevalent in most big firms. Some are able to function well, and some aren't.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example. Don't be so critical of new hires. Treat others as you would want to be treated. Belittling, disrespecting, and embarrassing your team members does not create a healthy working environment. People can only endure that sort of treatment for a finite period of time. I understand it's all about earning that promotion, and getting that increase in pay but doesn't mean you have to sacrifice human decency during the process.

Great Experience

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Deloitte LLP full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDeloitte has great corporate culture, excellent compensation and abundance of resources.Training etc. Excellent career growth, ability to carve out your own career.

ConsIt's more of a management consulting firm than technology. Networking skills are important or else you feel very lost in the organization. You fit into the firm better when you start at a junior level and climb up the ladder. It's a difficult adjustment as a senior.

High-quality firm that provides unlimited opportunities to those who are ambitious and ready for a challenge!

Senior Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Deloitte LLP full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people abound at Deloitte and I was impressed with the operations of the firm from day one. Being such a large firm, the supporting resources (HR assistance, technical expertise for assistance on projects, etc) are quite extensive and I found myself constantly pushed to excel further than I had in the past. It was a very valuable experience overall and my time at Deloitte was professionally rewarding.

ConsAs with any large organization, the administrative and bureaucratic requirements can be a bit annoying (required training, endless counseling and goal planning, etc). While not enjoyable, these are very minor cons and not something that would keep me from recommending the firm to anybody interested.

Worked for Deloitte LLP? Contribute to the Community!

Deloitte LLP Videos

Deloitte LLP – Why Work for Us?

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Deloitte LLP reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Deloitte LLP CEO Joe Echevarria. All 237 reviews posted anonymously by Deloitte LLP employees.