Deloitte

6,447 Reviews

Deloitte Global CEO Barry Salzberg
Barry Salzberg
1,345 Ratings

Pros
  • There are options for partial telecommuting which contributes to work/life balance (in 425 reviews)

• Great place to start your career as a recent graduate who is looking for experience (in 146 reviews)

Cons
  • As per me not a long term career option for people who give imp to work life balance (in 1093 reviews)

• Literally no work life balance(Or No life only work) as a Center associate (in 221 reviews)

More Highlights

Deloitte - Demanding and

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Deloitte has a strong "Corporate" culture that may not fit everyone. It is competitive, fast-paced, and can demand a lot of extra time but I think that it is what makes it so rewarding. If you know how to operate within the Deloitte environment you can go far but it will still take a lot of hard work to get where you want to go so don't forget to enjoy the journey.

Cons

It is wasy to get lost in the crouwd at Deloitte so you need to constantly network and build your personal brand in order to stay on "top-of-mind" to those in influential positions.

Management needs to constantly balance what they perceive as opposing "pulls." Those of developing the business and of developing the staff. I think management can do a better job of realizing that these two pulls are not pulling in different directions, of course I think management in most firms can do a better job of this.

Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons

Former Employee - AMS Associate  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time for more than a year

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver.
    Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners).

Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast.

Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about.

They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique.

I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses.

I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks.

Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business)

Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects.

There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable.

A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource.
    -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work.
    This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination.
    Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards.

Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

Great Company, but don't be naïve.

Former Employee - Audit Assistant  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Audit Assistant in McLean, VA

I worked at Deloitte full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are intelligent, and you will learn a great deal in a very short amount of time. A wild ride that is quite enjoyable. Large company with awesome resources. Excellent to have on your resume.

Cons

You have to always cover your own behind, because that is top priority for everyone else. If its you or them, lets just say its going to be you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent

Current Employee - ERS Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - ERS Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Diverse Accounting Experience, Friendly People, Open office culture, Good time-off policies, Competitive Compensation & Perks, Excellent Growth Opportunities, Excellent goodwill value, Very Good resume value. Easy to carve-out your niche and then work on stuff you are an expert in or love.

Cons

Work-life Fit is challenging, excessive travelling, Late Hours, Seasonality of work, No fixed workplace

It is advisable if the work-life fit is given more thought. Better and relevant training of new staff. More insights into the business for all the employees, including Seniors and Consultants. More discussion on the available career paths to Partnership / Directorship.

An excellent career choice for an aspiring partner

Current Employee - Specialist Leader  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Specialist Leader in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Deloitte is a partnership. The culture and incentives of a partnership are very different from that of a corporate environment. You will be required to build the skills that will make you a business partner (communication, flexibility, diversity of thought and skills, planning, sales, engagement delivery). But it's also in every partners' best interest to grow more partners, so you'll find a mentoring/apprenticeship culture. The Firm has, in recent years, become even more aware and encouraging of work-life fit, though the experience varies greatly within the Firm.

Cons

Like many professional services firms, Deloitte will consume you if you allow it. Individuals who do not do well in setting and managing boundaries experience burn out, and there won't be many people (if anyone) to stop this from happening.

Good career choice for globe trotters and for people who love sales

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Work with type A personalities. Helps you stay sharp, and learn something new by interacting with them.
    - Good perks. you are taken good care of when u travel to client locations.

Cons

- Work life balance can be a challenge
    - More busy work, than cutting edge work

Develop niche practices within the firm that can compete with selected boutique consulting firms.

Advisory review

Current Employee - Advisory Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Advisory Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As of one of the big 4, the name carries weight that will be valuable to you throughout the rest of your career. They have great PTO policies and in my particular group, do a decent job with work-life balance.

Cons

The amount that retained employees are paid compared to outside hires is laughable. They don't take care of their own and end up losing their most talented professionals this way.

Your best employees are typically the ones who grew up in the firm. Take care of them first instead of overpaying for mediocre talent to increase size.

Great place to start ur career

Former Employee - Audit Assistant
    Former Employee - Audit Assistant

I worked at Deloitte full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance is good

Cons

High pressure during busy season

Great training for the business world, impressive on a resume, completely burns you out

Former Employee - Consultant  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Deloitte full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Deloitte gives you a ton of experience and basically acts as a very intense training program for Business Analysts who are just out of college. You're given a lot of responsibility, and it'll give you a lot to put on a resume and to talk about in future interviews. For me, it really built my confidence because I had just about every potential problem and challenge thrown at me, and always managed to figure it out and come out the other end having learned something.

Cons

Absolutely no work-life balance. The culture is to work at your client's office 8:30 to 7 at minimum, and then to go back to your hotel and either continue client work, or do 'firm initiatives.' It completely burns you out, but the company doesn't care, because that's just their business model. They always have a new crop of BAs graduating from college and ready to replace those that have left because they can't take it anymore.

Also, as a BA you have very little control over what project you get staffed on - you will basically get shipped off to wherever you are needed, regardless of your interests. And at the end of the day, most of the work is really just not that interesting - clients are paying us to do the work that their employees don't have time to do, and to put in tons of extra hours to get it done as close to perfectly as possible. Again, you learn a ton, but it's because you get so many impossible situations thrown at you that you have no choice but to figure a lot out as you go.

Care more about retention of BAs. Most are extremely high performing, but are largely miserable, and only stay until they can find a better opportunity somewhere else.

Great learning experience.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Intern in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Deloitte as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Amazing experience and great people to work with.

Cons

Hard work and a lot of hours.

Slightly more training.

Worked for Deloitte? Contribute to the Community!