Deloitte

7,198 Reviews

Deloitte Global CEO Barry Salzberg
Barry Salzberg
1,684 Ratings

Pros
  • There are options for partial telecommuting which contributes to work/life balance (in 471 reviews)

• Great place to start your career as a recent graduate who is looking for experience (in 167 reviews)

Cons
  • As per me not a long term career option for people who give imp to work life balance (in 1260 reviews)

• Literally no work life balance(Or No life only work) as a Center associate (in 254 reviews)

More Highlights

A challenging and rewarding place to work

Current Employee - Consulting Senior Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Consulting Senior Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

The people. Deloitte is focused on hiring the best and brightest, and it shows; the people are amazing. It is a very intelligent group of people that are committed to doing excellent work for their clients. It can be challenging working with such smart people, but it is very rewarding. It is also a young population of employees. Deloitte does a lot of hiring directly out of college, so there is a constant group of young professionals joingin the firm. Deloitte also promotes quickly from within -- the average age of new partners is around 37. This young average age creates an enthusiastic atmosphere. I really appreciate my coworkers and have many life long friends from my current and former Deloitte coworkers.

Cons

The biggest problem about working for Deloitte is the work / life balance. Deloitte has made a lot of headway in this area, but it is a consulting firm after all. This isn't a 9-5 place to work. Many of the people who leave Deloitte do so because they want a job that has regular hours and allows more time for family or other pursuits. Working for Deloitte means often having to work late nights or weekends to get the job done. It is all about being focused on the client and being available when they need you. However, if you have a passion for the work, this isn't that bad of a thing. Deloitte is very flexible with when and how you work. I get plenty of time to play golf (I just have to have my cell phone on in case a client or coworker needs to get a hold of me).

Keep up the focus on diversity. Keep up the focus on work/life balance. Keep up the great work!

Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons

Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than a year)

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver.
    Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners).

Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast.

Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about.

They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique.

I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses.

I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks.

Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business)

Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects.

There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable.

A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource.
    -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work.
    This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination.
    Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards.

Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

The toughest job you'll ever love.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than a year)

Pros

--The people I work with are amazing. Smart, motivated, and willing to work together.
    --Opportunities grow on trees. Want training? Here you go! Want to lead an effort? Have at it!
    --Senior leadership is generally pretty approachable.

Cons

--If you're on the "PPD Track," you are required to put in hours outside your project work on "firm activities." It can feel like a lot, and it can feel like a distraction from client work at times.
    --Bait and switch--they give you tons of vacation time, but you can't use it without hurting your utilization. Utilization is high. It works out to about two weeks vacation, plus holidays, if you're capped at 40 hours per week (most Federal projects are)

Let's get real about how much you can expect of people before they decide their lives are worth more. There's a lot of turnover because people get burnt out. Instead of cycling people through, why not pull back a smidge and see if you can get some of those folks to stick around? Most people treat this as a training ground for something else they want to do--suck out all the marrow and then walk away. Wouldn't it be better to realize the investments you put into people. All that training, walking right out your doors--it's a shame.

Tax Manager

Current Employee - Tax Technology Manager
    Current Employee - Tax Technology Manager

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed hours, good learning opputunity

Cons

pay is not good, competitors pay more

Consultant

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Good company much wow super

Cons

No con very nice maybe number of recruitments now

Challenging yet rewording

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

The People, the opportunities and clients

Cons

The hours and the grind

Great opportunity

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

Decent compensation, good benefits, nice people

Cons

Quantity of work is heavy. Fewer admin and same amount of work anticipated mean you put in more hours.

Business Technology Analyst

Current Employee - BTA in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - BTA in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Salary
    Benefits
    Perks
    Large amount of responsibility

Cons

Long Hours
    Work outside of client hours

Increase flexibility and predictabiity

Amazingly broad, diverse array of talented people

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Top talent and clients and projects

Cons

Travel, balance and competitive cultire

Stay focused on culture

Sr. Consultant

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Very collaborative work culture, great platform to learn about various market offerings, great place to build network and career growth.

Cons

Lack of work life balance, unpredictable schedule and 75% travel. No great bonus and no perks and stock options.