Deloitte

6,680 Reviews

Deloitte Global CEO Barry Salzberg
Barry Salzberg
1,450 Ratings

Pros
  • There are options for partial telecommuting which contributes to work/life balance (in 459 reviews)

• Great place to start your career as a recent graduate who is looking for experience (in 163 reviews)

Cons
  • As per me not a long term career option for people who give imp to work life balance (in 1207 reviews)

• Literally no work life balance(Or No life only work) as a Center associate (in 244 reviews)

More Highlights

Great environment with strong emphasis on people and performance

Current Employee - ERS Senior Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - ERS Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Biggest professional services firm in the world; chance to get experience working for lots of exciting clients; great learning environment with a big emphasis on performance; opportunity to make Partner- by which point you're made for life (!);

Cons

Strong expectation of high performance; clients can be challenging; tight deadlines; sometimes long hours; can be luck of the draw which client engagement you end up on.

Keep it up!

Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons

Former Employee - AMS Associate  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time for more than a year

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver.
    Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners).

Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast.

Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about.

They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique.

I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses.

I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks.

Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business)

Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects.

There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable.

A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource.
    -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work.
    This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination.
    Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards.

Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Deloitte full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I started as an experienced hire and was warmly welcomed. Good mix of experienced hire and organically grown employees. Provide great networking experience for practitioners and a majority of practitioners were easy to access. Sales pursuits and project work was challenging as well as rewarding.

Cons

There are some people there that think way too much of themselves. There is definitely the need to define two networks. One of people to pursue working with and another to avoid any contact with at all. Travel sometimes was annoying however, when you find the right network you can truly build a good work-life balance. High level experienced (15+) years go through same growth process as organically grown and it needs to be different.

Improve recognition process of outstanding performers that happen to perform projects outside of their designated service line because their skill set afforded them alignment with several different service lines. The same with employees who are remote from the office and are always on the road. Consider high level (15+ years) experienced hires to enter in at Sr. Manager or provide a different growth path than organically.grown employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Firm

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

benefits package, personal growth and people

Cons

Work, life balance not easy to manage

Deloitte is a great place to work

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome work culture and benefits.

Cons

Still need to think of some

internship

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

good as much as good

Cons

no thing can be said

Senior Consultant

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Great Company! Lots of resources at your fingertip!

Cons

Top Heavy - Hard to get promoted without going beyond expectations. Very Competitive.

Business Technology Analyst

Former Employee - Business Technology Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business Technology Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Deloitte as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good client side exposure, excellent training opportunities/resources.

Cons

Hardly any individual visibility, lot of travelling (could be a pro depending if you like it)

Engage more in tam building activities

Challenging environment, high expectations

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Quality of people I work with is very strong, expectations run high, they expect a lot.

Cons

In services, they run lean, you have to cover a lot of territory.

Very forward firm

Former Employee - Intern  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Deloitte as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I only did an internship program so I cant review actually working there but while I was there everyone seemed as if they genuinely enjoyed working for the company.

Cons

They kinda seem to pidgeonhole you into a specific role pertaining to whatever they want you to do, so its not a culture where you can do "your passion"

Look for talent not people to fill a role.

Worked for Deloitte? Contribute to the Community!