Deloitte Reviews

Reset
3.6
Deloitte Deloitte US CEO Cathy Engelbert
Cathy Engelbert

Pros
  • Advanced attitude towards work-life balance (in 471 reviews)

• Probably a good place to start your career (in 167 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work-life balance (in 1260 reviews)

• There is no Work-Life Balance at all (in 254 reviews)

8,322 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Captain of your own Ship

Current Employee - ERS Consultant in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - ERS Consultant in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent salary, great benefits, ability to travel and build travel points, impressive professional versatility.

Cons

Unpredictable work projects - e.g. some engagements last weeks, or months; each employee is their own company (with their own brand etc) and greater emphasis is therefore placed on networking. If you're not good at networking, become an expert in a particular field or map out a systematic plan to network.

Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons

Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver. Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners). Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast. Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about. They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique. I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses. I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks. Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business) Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects. There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable. A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource. -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work. This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines. IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination. Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

Advice to Management

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards. Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

Excellent training, networking, office culture

Current Employee - Tax Senior in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Tax Senior in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young, fast paced environment with ample opportunity to learn and grow. Such a great place to own your career, set your parameters and develop a network. Smart people and endless resources. Great expense policy. Free meals, parking, mileage, coffee, professional dues, tuition.

Cons

The hours can become long, but you can work from anywhere. During busy season some people show up around 9am and work until 9pm, while others work 7-7pm depending on your preference. Of course, your schedule depends on the clients to which you're assigned.

5. Great place to work

Current Employee - Consulting Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Consulting Senior Manager

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Deloitte is an overall great place to work. The work is challenging and fulfilling, and the general employee population is highly capable. Pay and benefits are good and the firm genuinely cares about its employees. I've been able to form great relationships and develop an impressive network in industry and within the firm. At a minimum, Deloitte is a great place to launch your career and learn critical well rounded skills needed in the business world.

Cons

In return for great pay and benefits, the work and travel can be very demanding. To be the best, significant personal sacrifice is required. Compensation varies significantly based on your performance rating history.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, but don't push to overly expand and grow at the expense of quality and the Deloitte brand of excellence.

6. Great place to start

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Demanding, and rewarding work. An emphasis on team work, and real world learning.

Cons

Work can be repetitive and moving to projects that are along ones interest may be difficult due to staffing/project imperatives.

7. Great company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a very inclusive, ethical company with some of the best people I've had the pleasure of working with.

Cons

In some roles, particularly consulting, the hours worked can be extreme.

8. Great place to start

Current Employee - ERS Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - ERS Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great on-the-job perks (alternate travel, client expenses) in addition to health benefits.

Cons

Politics and system of year-end ratings cause abundance of stress

9. Best place to work

Former Employee - Marketing Ingenier in Clive, IA
    Former Employee - Marketing Ingenier in Clive, IA

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

Very high profile work just the best get access

Cons

Stressful.. tons of traveling

Advice to Management

Is a place to learn and be a leader

10. Solutions Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Its the best company I have ever worked with

Cons

Theere arent any cons I could point out

Advice to Management

You guys are incredible!

11. Outstanding place to work!

Former Employee - AMS Project Associate 6 in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - AMS Project Associate 6 in Arlington, VA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for Deloitte for almost two years and enjoyed my time there, with excellent salary, They have very fair and complete ways of reviewing performance. I would be happy to return to work for this company if I had another opportunity to do so.

Cons

I was abruptly let go when unable to locate a project that matched my experience. I felt this was too sudden and further leeway could have been given.

Advice to Management

When an employee is unable to locate a project to be assigned to, give him or her a time limit to work with, and advise that after that limit is reached the person would be let go, rather than the first notice also being the final one before termination.

Showing 8,322 of 8,799 reviews