Deloitte

6,587 Reviews

Deloitte Global CEO Barry Salzberg
Barry Salzberg
1,410 Ratings

Pros
  • There are options for partial telecommuting which contributes to work/life balance (in 425 reviews)

• Great place to start your career as a recent graduate who is looking for experience (in 146 reviews)

Cons
  • As per me not a long term career option for people who give imp to work life balance (in 1093 reviews)

• Literally no work life balance(Or No life only work) as a Center associate (in 221 reviews)

More Highlights

People focused organization

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Hyderābād (India)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Hyderābād (India)

I worked at Deloitte full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Respecting each relationship, Focus on excellence, Rewards

Cons

Need to focus on early innovation with relevance to market dynamics

Forcing high performers to leave the company when business is not doing well (by using performance evaluation process for a wrong purpose). I am one of the victims of this process in 2008. Deloitte could have considered high performers for redeployment in other business areas.

Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons

Former Employee - AMS Associate  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time for more than a year

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver.
    Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners).

Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast.

Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about.

They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique.

I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses.

I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks.

Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business)

Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects.

There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable.

A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource.
    -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work.
    This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination.
    Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards.

Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

An excellent career choice for an aspiring partner

Current Employee - Specialist Leader  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Specialist Leader in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Deloitte is a partnership. The culture and incentives of a partnership are very different from that of a corporate environment. You will be required to build the skills that will make you a business partner (communication, flexibility, diversity of thought and skills, planning, sales, engagement delivery). But it's also in every partners' best interest to grow more partners, so you'll find a mentoring/apprenticeship culture. The Firm has, in recent years, become even more aware and encouraging of work-life fit, though the experience varies greatly within the Firm.

Cons

Like many professional services firms, Deloitte will consume you if you allow it. Individuals who do not do well in setting and managing boundaries experience burn out, and there won't be many people (if anyone) to stop this from happening.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Deloitte has been an intense working environment, but has provided me with tools and training that set me up for success

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at Deloitte are:

1) Name recognition - The firm is recognized across the industry as producing top talent
    2) Training - Amazing training opportunities that are free and part of your required work throughout the year (PMP, LSS, ITIL, SCRUM, etc.)
    3) People - The people I work with constantly challenge me and create a unique competitive working environment that forces you to adapt and grow.

Cons

1) The hours can be long and if you are looking for a 9-5 job, Deloitte is not for you
    2) You are constantly competing against your colleagues at year end for ratings and bonuses. As you get higher in the firm, colleagues may stab you in the back to get new business and ensure their own success at your cost

I believe that the firm needs to examine the way they compensate people with clearances. They have finally recognized that compensation is necessary to retain top talent within the National Security Sector, however it still lags behind other firms in the amount awarded.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Deloitte full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I started as an experienced hire and was warmly welcomed. Good mix of experienced hire and organically grown employees. Provide great networking experience for practitioners and a majority of practitioners were easy to access. Sales pursuits and project work was challenging as well as rewarding.

Cons

There are some people there that think way too much of themselves. There is definitely the need to define two networks. One of people to pursue working with and another to avoid any contact with at all. Travel sometimes was annoying however, when you find the right network you can truly build a good work-life balance. High level experienced (15+) years go through same growth process as organically grown and it needs to be different.

Improve recognition process of outstanding performers that happen to perform projects outside of their designated service line because their skill set afforded them alignment with several different service lines. The same with employees who are remote from the office and are always on the road. Consider high level (15+ years) experienced hires to enter in at Sr. Manager or provide a different growth path than organically.grown employees.

The Best of the Big Four

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than a year

Pros

Of the big four consulting firms, Deloitte probably has the best culture, investment in your training, and support your professional growth, and even your work-life balance Benefits and perks are very competitive. I've met a number of people now who are exiting Booz Allen Hamilton for Deloitte. That says something. From a CEO perspective, the company is aggressive in its focus on competing in the marketplace, too.

Cons

The only con is that if yo u want to be a big-time manager or even just manage 5+ people, you may have to wait awhile. Deloitte is an awesome place to start a career, though.

Keep up the great work of treating your employees well!!!

Great People and Great Work

Current Employee - Consultant - Strategy & Operations  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant - Strategy & Operations in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flat organization, lots of really smart, really great people, leadership is very personable, a ton of opportunities to join high-visibility projects, opportunities to lead.

Cons

The work-life balance here isn't the greatest (you work 40 hours some weeks, and 65+ other weeks), compensation structures is really frustrating, you don't have time to use all your vacation days.

Give better base raises and focus less on bonuses.

Excellent

Current Employee - ERS Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - ERS Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Diverse Accounting Experience, Friendly People, Open office culture, Good time-off policies, Competitive Compensation & Perks, Excellent Growth Opportunities, Excellent goodwill value, Very Good resume value. Easy to carve-out your niche and then work on stuff you are an expert in or love.

Cons

Work-life Fit is challenging, excessive travelling, Late Hours, Seasonality of work, No fixed workplace

It is advisable if the work-life fit is given more thought. Better and relevant training of new staff. More insights into the business for all the employees, including Seniors and Consultants. More discussion on the available career paths to Partnership / Directorship.

audit manager

Current Employee - Audit Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

learning opportunity, great place to start career

Cons

work/life balance, compensation is not competitive compared to other big 4

Great place to gain experience

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Good training, develop leadership attributes

Cons

as of now no cons.

Worked for Deloitte? Contribute to the Community!