Deloitte Reviews

Reset
3.7
Deloitte Deloitte US CEO Cathy Engelbert
Cathy Engelbert

Pros
  • Advanced attitude towards work-life balance (in 471 reviews)

• Probably a good place to start your career (in 167 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no work-life balance (in 1260 reviews)

• There is no Work-Life Balance at all (in 254 reviews)

8,757 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Captain of your own Ship

Current Employee - ERS Consultant in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - ERS Consultant in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent salary, great benefits, ability to travel and build travel points, impressive professional versatility.

Cons

Unpredictable work projects - e.g. some engagements last weeks, or months; each employee is their own company (with their own brand etc) and greater emphasis is therefore placed on networking. If you're not good at networking, become an expert in a particular field or map out a systematic plan to network.

Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons

Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver. Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners). Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast. Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about. They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique. I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses. I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks. Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business) Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects. There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable. A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource. -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work. This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines. IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination. Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

Advice to Management

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards. Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

Excellent training, networking, office culture

Current Employee - Tax Senior in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Tax Senior in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young, fast paced environment with ample opportunity to learn and grow. Such a great place to own your career, set your parameters and develop a network. Smart people and endless resources. Great expense policy. Free meals, parking, mileage, coffee, professional dues, tuition.

Cons

The hours can become long, but you can work from anywhere. During busy season some people show up around 9am and work until 9pm, while others work 7-7pm depending on your preference. Of course, your schedule depends on the clients to which you're assigned.

5. Audit

I worked at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Good platform for career growth

Cons

Nothing bad to comment so far

Advice to Management

None

6. Consultant

Pros

Great learning environment, great people

Cons

Travel is hard, competitive workplace, not paid for as much as you work

Advice to Management

Less internal intitiaves

7. Analyst

Pros

It's a great place to meet brilliant people.

Cons

As expected, the environment is full of pressure, but it's rewarding.

Advice to Management

Management is clearly filled with brilliant people, albeit stressed out individuals.

8. Candidate Development Lead

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Lots of support, career path, tons of training

Cons

no real cons but be ready to work hard

9. Deloitte. Champion people managers

Current Employee - Specialist Senior in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Specialist Senior in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Now four years at DC. The top reason I work for Deloitte is the very high caliber of people management. I mean interpersonal, communication, empathetic skills. My colleagues have the highest Emotional Intelligence I have come across in my 20 year career and I have lived and worked in USA and Europe so I don't come from a closeted background! The more senior they are the more high performing in the sense that I mean. I have worked for Oracle Consulting, Capgemini and two Fortune 100 clients of Deloitte and the managers there are not a scratch on the same level of managers at Deloitte. One caveat.. see Con. Work life balance? Yes in consulting there is a commitment to travel however in the past two years there has been a push from the CEO down to manage personal time through flexible work arrangements, respect for personal time and they lead by doing. They really care that you take care of family commitments as the #1 priority and then work. Really care that you're well rested and have time for physical exercise. All this is built in to the consulting schedule. My commitment is to manage my time very carefully and be 100% honest and have total integrity about it.

Cons

I have seldom come across a manager lacking emotional intelligence at Deloitte, however on one instance I did. I stopped them in their tracks because I spoke up about their behavior. I could only do that because I knew I had the power of Deloitte HR behind me. Who ever could say that in any company about the HR function? Not many are there?

Advice to Management

I wish getting things done like internal projects had less red tape is all.

10. Good Company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Very professional company. You are your own boss they do not micro manage the employees.

Cons

They expect to have all your free time as well, not only working hours.

11. Top tier consulting, very competitive

Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Top talent Vast network Great training through Deloitte University Rewarding client work

Cons

Work-life balance Very competitive No sense of "belonging"

Advice to Management

Establish mentoring programs between Partners/Principals and Managers/Senior Managers. Mentor, coach, train the future firm leadership

Showing 8,757 of 9,247 reviews