Deloitte

6,951 Reviews

Deloitte Global CEO Barry Salzberg
Barry Salzberg
1,589 Ratings

Pros
  • There are options for partial telecommuting which contributes to work/life balance (in 471 reviews)

• Great place to start your career as a recent graduate who is looking for experience (in 167 reviews)

Cons
  • As per me not a long term career option for people who give imp to work life balance (in 1260 reviews)

• Literally no work life balance(Or No life only work) as a Center associate (in 254 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons

Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than an year)

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver.
    Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners).

Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast.

Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about.

They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique.

I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses.

I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks.

Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business)

Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects.

There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable.

A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource.
    -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work.
    This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination.
    Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards.

Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

Overall positive, but the work-life balance is a huge negative

I have been working at Deloitte as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

They take care of their people in a professional sense; lots of growth opportunity, constant chances to worth your way up the ladder, excellent opportunities for networking. For those that don't mind the lifestyle, this can be an amazing opportunity.

Cons

But... the lifestyle. The fact that they shout so long and loud about how important a positive work-life balance is should be a hint that maybe, to them, it's not. If you want a job that will let you see your family with any semblance of frequency, this is not the place for you.

Work harder to support the work-life balance. You lose good people simply because of the lifestyle.

Deloitte Consulting will give as much as you can take, and take as much as you will give.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

• Great projects, of any variety you can imagine
    • Opportunity to work with almost any company across the globe
    • Brilliant colleagues, who epitomize consulting, and span the gamut of functional and industry expertise (e.g., even when you don't know the answer or how to do something, someone at Deloitte does)
    • Incredible learning culture that completely supports growth and development (e.g., MBA, professional and technical certifications, etc.)

Cons

• Deloitte will take as much as you give, so it's easy to work too hard (and yes, that's a real thing)
    • Internal projects, thoughtware development, R&D and business development are a job requirement, in addition to full time client service projects, which is not how all Consukting Firms operate (good for the firm, tough on work-life integration)
    • The performance management and compensation process has been in flux during my entire tenure with the firm

• Demonstrate how our Businesses are truly integrated to the employees, and make it easier to move around internally--it's good for retention
    • Make more Firm Initiatives full time projects practitioners focus on instead of client service work (almost like a rotation)--it will yield higher quality proposals, eminence and services, along with more engaged employees
    • Stick with a Performance Management process

Great Place to start out after earning college degree

Former Employee - Tax Senior in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Tax Senior in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a great opportunity to learn and achieve at this company. Most partners display a reasonable level of respect to and for newer employees. As in almost every organization there are a few who treat staff in lesser positions as if they were an expendable commodity rather than a valuable asset, but on the whole one feels respected and valued.

Cons

It is a large accounting firm, and as such is known for a large influx of year-one employees fresh out of college every year. Compensation is reasonable, but hours and hidden hours are contraindicative to a work-life balance. Perks are fair, but promotions were few ---everyone can't advance, some, even most --- need to move on to move up. They don't have any career path at all for innovative tax and technology combination-minded and skilled staff. Fit the expected pattern and exceed expected work volume accurately and you'll do well. Don't expect to share unusual gifts to expedite workflows and save processing hours and ergo costs -- they don't know what to do with that --- your reward is to ....move out...

Learn to reward innovation and get up to speed in combining technology and innovative time-saving streamlining automations and applications. If you have someone come to you who can do these things & you don't know who you can have supervise them - but their developed applications WORK--then have the wisdom and guts to realize the gold you have in your hands and make them that manager, director or partner who can lead the way for the company---rather than push them out the door because you're not sure who can supervise them - given no one has done the amazing things they're doing for you.

Great Launching Point

Former Employee - IT Audit Senior in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - IT Audit Senior in Chicago, IL

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great (5 weeks vacation, 401K match, pension, healthcare). Flexible hours (when not in busy season). Exposure to many different industries and types of organizations. Brand name recognition on your resume for whatever you are looking to do afterwards.

Cons

Long hours on an annual basis with little understanding of home-life needs, especially during busy season. The higher you get, the less flexibility you have and the more you will be needing to work 24/7.

Pay needs to match the demands. Auditors don't often feel a sense of accomplishment in their work so the only other two desires are compensation and work-life balance. Lack of work-life balance is somewhat understandable in the service industry, but you need to compensate people well to overcome that.

Great opportunities with tremendous career counseling and reach-back support.

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am a junior practitioner whose been given great opportunities to take on challenging roles with multiple clients in different geographies.

Cons

Tough time managing all of the expectations (training, business development, etc) and still have somewhat of a normal non-work life.

None

Deloitte really the best place to start your career

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- People: I have met about 90% of all my best friends at Deloitte. The caliber of people that Deloitte brings to the table is astounding. These are the people you want to work with, get drunk with, and be at your wedding (because of course they know your SO and get along famously). In addition, the managers I have worked with have always been easy to talk to, with few exceptions. I was lucky enough to find my mentor at Deloitte, who I think will be a confidant of mine well after I leave Deloitte (if I do end up leaving).
    - The Benefits: health fitness subsidy, great health insurance plans, travel benefits, the list goes on...
    - Growth Opportunities: Deloitte does invest in its people (as long as what you want to learn is in line with what the clients will want in the long term) but generally, I have found that the people at Deloitte genuinely care about my career and personal growth, even if that growth leads me to a different company and out of consulting. The genuine interest in me as a person, not just as a Deloitte employee is huge.
    - Travel: So many airline miles and hotel points. I traveled to Germany, NYC, New Orleans, Savannah from the client site for the weekends, and it was awesome.
    - Working with client senior leadership: This is something that is so unique about Deloitte and consulting in general; you get to work with senior leadership right out of college. How many college grads get to say that?
    -Work Life Balance: Work life balance can be tough, but as I say to the analysts below me, if you want it and set that expectation that you value your personal time, others will too.

Cons

- Work life balance: While you can have a work life balance at Deloitte, as with all consulting gigs, it can be tough to maintain when you are leaving on a red eye Sunday night and returning home on Thursday at 11pm (I did this for a year and a half), so dating becomes near impossible and you miss out on a lot of stuff that happens during the week... nature of the beast though. It's good while you are young, but I am not sure how people maintain it for the long term.
    - Maintaining a healthy lifestyle: Exercising and eating healthy is tough on the road, but do-able.
    - The Travel: While its awesome and there are a lot of perks, be prepared to crash at 7pm on the weekends.
    - In the Technology Consulting path, it can be difficult to move into a different service line or track.

Keep doing what you're doing. In the Bay Area, we need to do something that keeps talent here, whether that is in offering consultants the ability to choose projects (client and internal) that interest them or letting them leave a project or service line that they are unhappy in. Deloitte needs to strategize around how to be more competitive amid all the tech and social enterprise companies in the Bay.

Ladder to What's Next

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great fringe benefits (with the exception of the 401(k) match), name looks great on a resume and the experience is typically helpful in navigating future professional endeavors.

Cons

Work expectations are stratospheric, as are expectations on hours spent at work or in the office. Depending on your level in the company pay may or may not be at market.

Great environment, great opportunities

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

You have the opportunities to explore a lot of different areas

Cons

Project driven nature leaves you little chance to manage your work life balance

Great!

Current Employee - Audit Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

Pay, networking, learning, growth, benefits

Cons

long hours, work life balance

Make sure everyones happy