Deloitte

7,157 Reviews

Deloitte Global CEO Barry Salzberg
Barry Salzberg
1,669 Ratings

Pros
  • There are options for partial telecommuting which contributes to work/life balance (in 471 reviews)

• Great place to start your career as a recent graduate who is looking for experience (in 167 reviews)

Cons
  • As per me not a long term career option for people who give imp to work life balance (in 1260 reviews)

• Literally no work life balance(Or No life only work) as a Center associate (in 254 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons

Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than an year)

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver.
    Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners).

Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast.

Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about.

They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique.

I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses.

I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks.

Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business)

Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects.

There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable.

A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource.
    -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work.
    This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination.
    Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards.

Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

The toughest job you'll ever love.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than an year)

Pros

--The people I work with are amazing. Smart, motivated, and willing to work together.
    --Opportunities grow on trees. Want training? Here you go! Want to lead an effort? Have at it!
    --Senior leadership is generally pretty approachable.

Cons

--If you're on the "PPD Track," you are required to put in hours outside your project work on "firm activities." It can feel like a lot, and it can feel like a distraction from client work at times.
    --Bait and switch--they give you tons of vacation time, but you can't use it without hurting your utilization. Utilization is high. It works out to about two weeks vacation, plus holidays, if you're capped at 40 hours per week (most Federal projects are)

Let's get real about how much you can expect of people before they decide their lives are worth more. There's a lot of turnover because people get burnt out. Instead of cycling people through, why not pull back a smidge and see if you can get some of those folks to stick around? Most people treat this as a training ground for something else they want to do--suck out all the marrow and then walk away. Wouldn't it be better to realize the investments you put into people. All that training, walking right out your doors--it's a shame.

Great Company

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Culture, good management and holistic product offerings

Cons

Minimal base salary and benefits

Consulting Apprentice Program (DCAP)

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

Really great way to give students insight into the world of management consulting
    Very friendly, professional consultants
    Good training program

Cons

Not exactly a pipeline into a full time job

Plenty of opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Tax Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

There is a large variety of projects and plenty of challenges. The benefits are awesome, as is the culture.

Cons

The long hours are to be expected

There's a bit of separation between levels. I think it's important that those in the lower ranks are provided more opportunity to interact with senior management.

Great place to launch a career

I worked at Deloitte full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to global clients, excellent world class training at Deloitte University, and consistent promotions were all reasons why I enjoyed my time at Deloitte Consulting.

Cons

The hours can be tough, but most people know that when going into Consulting. The time away from home can be rough too, since travel is a major part of the consulting lifestyle.

More flexibility with schedules.

Deloitte Review

Former Employee - Applications Management in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Applications Management in Dallas, TX

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

Wonderful atmosphere of diversity!
    Deloitte values and embraces experienced professionals.

Cons

.No employer is perfect; but this place is close.

Consultant->senior consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pro to working at Deloitte is the scope of projects and people. Also they really invested in training their consultants in innovative ways.

Cons

The cons focus around how hyper political some of the partners are. They can actually impede revenue growth through their need for control.

Consultant

Former Employee - Consultant in India, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in India, TX

I worked at Deloitte

Pros

Great work culture, people first, ethics

Cons

Hectic, stressful during busy season

Great experience but too much travel and long hours

I have been working at Deloitte

Pros

- Smart, friendly, and humble people to work with
    - Great work experiences and you learn a lot
    - Good perks and paid time off

Cons

- Incessant traveling adversely affects family life
    - Expectation for long hours is prevalent
    - Some seniors care only about client satisfaction often at the expense of employees

Take flexible work arrangements seriously if you want to retain talent. Show workers that you value them and that client satisfaction is not the only thing that matters. Learn to say no to clients instead of sucking up to all their demands.